Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Candy (Hulu) - limited series - S: Jessica Biel, Melanie Lynskey - premieres 5/9/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Candy (Hulu) - limited series - S: Jessica Biel, Melanie Lynskey - premieres 5/9/22

Old 05-08-22, 07:19 PM

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,214 Posts

A five night event, premiering May 9 on Hulu.

Candy Montgomery is a 1980 housewife and mother who did everything right—good husband, two kids, nice house, even the careful planning and execution of transgressions—but when the pressure of conformity builds within her, her actions scream for just a bit of freedom. Until someone tells her to shush. With deadly results.

Starring Jessica Biel, Melanie Lynskey, Timothy Simons, Pablo Schreiber, and Raśl Esparza.

Three-time Emmy nominee Robin Veith (“Mad Men,” “The Act”) wrote the pilot script and will executive produce. Nick Antosca (“The Act,” “Brand New Cherry Flavor”) will serve as executive producer under his banner Eat the Cat along with Alex Hedlund. Jessica Biel and Michelle Purple (“The Sinner,” “Cruel Summer”) will serve as executive producers for Iron Ocean. Michael Uppendahl (“Fargo,” “American Crime Story: Impeachment”) directed the pilot and will executive produce. Jim Atkinson & John Bloom will serve as consulting producers. The series is from UCP, a division of Universal Studio Group, and 20th Television, one of the Disney Television Studios.
A new episode Monday - Friday.
Old 05-08-22, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 952 Likes on 692 Posts
Re: Candy (Hulu) - limited series - S: Jessica Biel, Melanie Lynskey - premieres 5/9/22

I'm in, even though I do not know of the true story. Interesting instead of weekly episodes, there's daily ones.
Old 05-08-22, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 937 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: Candy (Hulu) - limited series - S: Jessica Biel, Melanie Lynskey - premieres 5/9/22

The previews intrigued me. I wish it wasn't like pulling teeth for me to actually WATCH Hulu, but this is on my list.
Old 05-09-22, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I'm in, even though I do not know of the true story. Interesting instead of weekly episodes, there's daily ones.
Probably to meet Emmy eligibility requirements. Has to air by 5/31.
Old 05-09-22, 10:23 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 611 Likes on 525 Posts

finally found my new series to obsess over **edit** or not based on horrible reviews. well, with Hacks back Thurs and The Lincoln Lawyer Fri, i think i'll be ok. will still give this a try.

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-09-22 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-09-22, 10:29 AM

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Probably to meet Emmy eligibility requirements. Has to air by 5/31.
It's a streamer. They could've just dropped it all on one day or a two drops of a batch of episodes if that were the case.

This is the EP said:
Typically Hulu drops three episodes of an original series and then the remaining installments one at a time, weekly. However, someone at the streamer proposed something new for Candy — one episode drops every night for five days. Showbiz Cheat Sheet asked Uppendahl why the consecutive days format since Hulu doesn’t typically do that.

“I think our friends at Hulu came up with it for the very reason you’re saying — they’d never done it before,” he said. “This is five episodes, which is really handy. We all circled Friday the 13th in May because the opening episode takes place, and the event took place on a Friday, the 13th of June. And we all thought, ‘Well, let’s work that in.’ And originally, the thought was to drop them all on that day, and then someone over there said, ‘What about five nights?'”
Old 05-09-22, 10:49 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 611 Likes on 525 Posts

sounds like a true think tank over at Hulu.
The following users liked this post:
jpcamb (05-10-22)
Old 05-09-22, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I remember when this happened. It was a huge story around these parts. Also a book was co-written about it by John Bloom (aka Joe Bob Briggs) when he was a reporter for the Dallas Morning News. I see he's listed as a consulting producer so I'm assuming this is probably based on the book.
Old 05-15-22, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 952 Likes on 692 Posts

Anyone still watching and catch the two cameos in E4?
Spoiler:
I'll call this the real life husbands episode. Jessica's hubby Justin Timberlake and Melanie Lynskey's hubby Jason Ritter play officers that show up when the body is discovered.

Old 05-15-22, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 150 Posts

We have one left and no I didn't catch that. Was not aware of the real story and we are enjoying this quite a bit.
Old 05-17-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 150 Posts

WTF??? I knew nothing of the case as you can imagine I am shocked.