Reload this Page >

Cobra Kai (Netflix) -- Season 5 -- Premieres 9/9/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cobra Kai (Netflix) -- Season 5 -- Premieres 9/9/22

Old 09-15-22, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 336 Posts
Re: Cobra Kai (Netflix) -- Season 5 -- Premieres 9/9/22

They've always managed to pay off character introductions and I hope that season 6 offers something in the way of more about Miguel's dad. Or else it was just an unnecessary side trip. I would have liked more from Mike Barnes and I hope he's still around in the next season, too. I'm glad the kids have all gotten over their miscommunication and misunderstandings.
Old 09-15-22, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 159 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
They've always managed to pay off character introductions and I hope that season 6 offers something in the way of more about Miguel's dad. Or else it was just an unnecessary side trip. I would have liked more from Mike Barnes and I hope he's still around in the next season, too. I'm glad the kids have all gotten over their miscommunication and misunderstandings.
The storyline with his dad just fell flat. They seemed like they were trying to build it into something and then he just walks out. I was expecting some kind of a fight/ hostage situation, but Miguel just says he has to go and that's it.
Old 09-15-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Actually I agree, Deb. Dick move from Daniel. Prior to this season, I felt Kreese could have a redemption arc, and thereís still a chance. He was honest with Tory and genuinely cared about her.
Considering what a shitwagon asshole Kreese has been, I have zero problems with how that played out. I actually would have been more annoyed if Daniel had gone through with it - the best place for that dude is in jail.
Old 09-16-22, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I actually love how absolutely ridiculous this show is getting I mean, the whole premise of warring dojos in the 21st century is pretty ridiculous as it is, and this show doesn't take itself seriously. It's having fun with the ridiculousness, and I'm just having a blast as I go along for the ride!
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (09-21-22)
Old 09-16-22, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Finished the season and loved it. Wasn't ready for the big 2 developments at the end.
Old 09-16-22, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I actually love how absolutely ridiculous this show is getting I mean, the whole premise of warring dojos in the 21st century is pretty ridiculous as it is, and this show doesn't take itself seriously. It's having fun with the ridiculousness, and I'm just having a blast as I go along for the ride!
Yeah, Iím loving it, but itís definitely a complete 180 from the ďAcademy Award Nominee for Best Supporting Actor, Pat MoritaĒ days of the first movie.
Old 09-16-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Yeah, Iím loving it, but itís definitely a complete 180 from the ďAcademy Award Nominee for Best Supporting Actor, Pat MoritaĒ days of the first movie.
lol, so true. It's definitely its own thing at this point. I mean would Daniel and Chozen REALLY become friends after all that history? Probably not, but it totally works for this show.

My brother, who is "old school" and hates change, dropped this show midway in the first season. To each their own.
Old 09-16-22, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Great season, just finished.

Was hella hyped when I saw Mike Barnes appear. Wish he was in more episodes.

Good Daniel story arc - destroying peopleís lives when he canít let shit go. Good redemption at the end.

Was also excited to see Jessica appear. I was worried she would be a forgotten cameo, since Part 3 wasnít well received by everyone.

Loved the lawyer My Cousin Vinny joke by Kreese when Daniel and Johnny visited the jail.

Still get chills when Silver speaks. Good villain.

I also liked the exhibition fight that was rigged. I was getting worried the competition stuff gets stale, but in this scene, the viewer is looking for the rigged moments. Thatís such great writing.

Canít wait to see the international tournament next season and maybe Julie-san!

Also, I immediately recognized the Rembrandt painting stolen from the unsolved Gardner Museum Heist. Great documentary on Netflix - ďThis is a RobberyĒ. Recommended.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 09-16-22 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-17-22, 10:58 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Chozen stole this season. He was great.
The following 4 users liked this post by bchbdaddy:
bunkaroo (09-18-22), Deftones (09-17-22), MysterioMan007 (09-21-22), T-bone22 (09-17-22)
Old 09-19-22, 02:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I think it's a really fun ride and mostly enjoyed it. Nice to see Barnes again. I know they need a villain again, but the whole "Kreese escapes prison" thing didn't really work for me. I hope the final season deals more with the international tournament than him.
I agree with you. That scene reminded me of the beginning of one of the endless sequels / reboots to Friday the 13th or Halloween.. where Jason or Mike Myers would 'escape' the prison, hospital, etc. it was kind of bad. He really can't be that much of a villain next season as he is 'wanted' and even if he is exonerated by Kreese or Sting Ray - he would need another trial, and escaping prison is a whole set of new charges.

I would like to see the international tournament - maybe Silver can come back or be free on parole (it is California after all). Fun season even though some episodes with Daniel and Chosen were borderline plots from Three's Company with all the stupid 'misunderstandings'
Old 09-19-22, 04:32 PM

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

This song needs to play during next season's Sekai Taikai

Old 09-20-22, 07:41 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 388 Likes on 235 Posts

I'm about halfway through this season. I know it's supposed to be silly and nostalgic, and I loved it up to now, but it's just too cartoonish at this point. I'll stick with it because I love the characters.
Old 09-21-22, 10:36 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy View Post
Chozen stole this season. He was great.
For sure. I was actually worried for a few minutes that they had really killed him. Especially when he made that call to Kumiko right before they went to Silver's house. Nice misdirect there.
Old 09-22-22, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 372 Likes on 291 Posts

The most amazing thing to me about the show is that two old dudes end up with hot women who are twenty years their juniors.

The cops in the Cobra Kai universe are feckless and weak.

John Kreese has reached psychopath levels.

Old 09-24-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

The actress that plays Amanda would have been 5 when The Karate Kid was released. Yeesh. Daniel has always been younger than Macchio's actual age but still.

Really curious to see where this goes for season 6 since it appears Cobra Kai is no more, unless Kreese has a master plan to bring in some nameless strangers again like with the senseis in this season. Supposedly the original plan was for 6 seasons so we shall see.