Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Farewell" -- 5/5/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will you watch the final season of Star Trek: Picard?
Yes
74.19%
Maybe, I might binge it down the line, but only if the reviews are glowing
9.68%
Nope, I'm completely out. Hate this show
9.68%
Nope, but I'll read about it
6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek: Picard (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Farewell" -- 5/5/22

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-22, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Farewell" -- 5/5/22

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This is an amazing parody post.
Quite serious, I assure you.
I have problems with Picard, the first season especially, but this second season was leaps and bounds better and tied in so many threads from Trek's history. Who would have thought we would ever see the Supervisors again, and then they tie in the Travelers with them.
And finding something on Europa? A place that Arthur C. Clarke himself told us to stay away from because of what's there?

They even explained why Picard's mom looked different in that first season TNG episode and in the process made that episode even better.

I enjoyed this and I'm definitely looking forward to a season 3.
Old 05-06-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It's like the writers/producers thought "What else can we do to really annoy the fans in the season finale? Let's put Wil Wheaton in there!"
The following 2 users liked this post by windom:
bunkaroo (05-06-22), Shannon Nutt (05-08-22)
Old 05-06-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I truly feel sorry for your delusion for fuck sake. Oh look boys and girls Wesley who looks like he just walked in from a visit to wal mart.....give me a fucking break.
Old 05-06-22, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...et-1235140271/

This article confirms pretty much what we already knew- the reason why Picard is so terrible can be laid solely at the feet of Patrick Stewart. Picard is his vanity project where he admits to working out his own mental health issues, where essentially he’s just playing himself now.

This confirms that season 3 will be shit as well.
Old 05-06-22, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Said it for years..Q and Picard..one of the great Trek Bromances
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So the Q aren't immortal after all? And just no explanation given? Maybe Picard might want to look into that as something might be going wrong with the universe.
Old 05-06-22, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Do you seriously think Picard didn't have mental health issues? And I don't just mean being assimilated by the Borg or tortured by the Cardassians, dude had serious attachment problems, issues dealing with kids and a general case of stick-up-the-butt-itis. And then the scene where he gets inside the head of Agent Wells was pure Picard. Not solving something with his fists, but mentally out-flanking his opponent.

While I too long for the days of starship based, planet of the week adventures (we'll start SNW this weekend), I also know there's a place for explorations of what comes after the big adventures, how do you deal with the mental fallout?

Also, forgot another thing: getting Seven a long overdue Starfleet commission was a great moment.
Old 05-06-22, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Between "Project Khan" in this episode and mention of the Eugenics War in Strange New Worlds, it looks like Star Trek has retconned the rise of Khan from the 1990s to sometime in the 21st Century.

The only part of this episode that I liked was Q's goodbye...which was emotional certainly, but didn't feel "earned" because of how bad this season has been.

Finally, I don't think Q's "gift" was the return of Elnor. I think it will be the return of Data in Season 3. Just a thought.
John Pannozzi (05-08-22)
Old 05-06-22, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Finally, I don't think Q's "gift" was the return of Elnor. I think it will be the return of Data in Season 3. Just a thought.
At this point, I'm hoping the gift is the cancellation of Season 3 before it airs.
Shannon Nutt (05-07-22)
Old 05-06-22, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Count me as one who liked seeing Wesley again. (And I never understood the hate for Wesley back in the day--I'm the same age as Wheaton so he was my 'avatar' in the ST universe.) Sure, his role in this episode could have been handled better, but it still made me smile and there may have been circumstances beyond my knowledge that limited Wheaton's time on set.
And while I agree that this season was not great overall, I did quite enjoy the finale. I admit I may be too forgiving of this series because I really want to like some new Trek and Discovery has been so disappointing lately.
Bronkster (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Between "Project Khan" in this episode and mention of the Eugenics War in Strange New Worlds, it looks like Star Trek has retconned the rise of Khan from the 1990s to sometime in the 21st Century.
There was a Deep Space Nine episode, pretty sure it was one that focused on Dr. Bashir for reasons I won't get into, that attempted to push the Eugenics Wars into the 21st or 22nd century. It was just a single of line dialog that was along the lines of "Two hundred years ago..." when, in fact, the Eugenics Wars would have been four hundred years ago at that point.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
John Pannozzi (05-08-22), Shannon Nutt (05-07-22)
Old 05-06-22, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Do you seriously think Picard didn't have mental health issues? And I don't just mean being assimilated by the Borg or tortured by the Cardassians, dude had serious attachment problems, issues dealing with kids and a general case of stick-up-the-butt-itis. And then the scene where he gets inside the head of Agent Wells was pure Picard. Not solving something with his fists, but mentally out-flanking his opponent.

While I too long for the days of starship based, planet of the week adventures (we'll start SNW this weekend), I also know there's a place for explorations of what comes after the big adventures, how do you deal with the mental fallout?

Also, forgot another thing: getting Seven a long overdue Starfleet commission was a great moment.
I’ll grant you that Picard has some definite issues, and I even think that aspect of his character could have lent itself to being explored. I don’t think we needed two full seasons of essentially that.

Also no matter what the story being told was it wasn’t told in a way that was good, and was hardly even coherent. The show just has many, many problems.

The thing is too they acknowledged the problems of season one and made it out like season two would fix things. So if this is the best they can do… yikes.
Old 05-07-22, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,279 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Said it for years..Q and Picard..one of the great Trek Bromances
After the scene with Raffi and Seven a few scenes before I thought instead of a hug there was going to be passionate kiss between them. Really nothing would have surprised me at that point.
Old 05-07-22, 08:02 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

“Dammit, Wesley.”
Shannon Nutt (05-07-22)
Old 05-07-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

So, what could have been a deep, serious character study into the tortured mind of Picard becomes another muddled time travel/multiverse story with zero consequences. Yawn. Strange New Worlds seems to be off to a really good start, but so did both seasons of Picard. I'll let you make your own decision there.

The reason people liked the movie Logan (aka Old Man Logan) was because it took chances with the characters, showed their flaws, how they've grown with them, and showed their vulnerabilities. This could have been like that, time travel/multiverse and all. If Patrick Stewart had and influence over the story in this he either never realized that or just didn't care. It's not like they didn't try, they just didn't try very hard, due to such sloppy, sloppy writing. The guy who arrested Picard and Guinan might as well have said "OK, I'm just going to go away now" in his final scene. The way they handled Picard's childhood trauma was heavy handed and trite. The name Soong should have been cursed throughout the Federation to the point where Data would have been instantly deactivated if he ever showed up on Starfleet property. And speaking of, why does everyone's ancestor look exactly like them except for Picard?

Plus, I guaran-goddamn-tee you that picture of Rios was never in Ten Forward.
Old 05-07-22, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
“Dammit, Wesley.”
That should be the name of the spinoff they obviously want to make. I think it would work as a straight up comedy where Wesley continually messes up history.

The story would have been better if Wesley were watching Renee and took one for the team in the end. Guinan could have approached Soong's daughter about being all that she can be.
tanman (08-25-22)
Old 05-07-22, 11:35 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
That should be the name of the spinoff they obviously want to make. I think it would work as a straight up comedy where Wesley continually messes up history.

The story would have been better if Wesley were watching Renee and took one for the team in the end. Guinan could have approached Soong's daughter about being all that she can be.
Here's an article all y'all might like:

HOW WIL WHEATON BECAME STAR TREK’S OWN “TIME LORD”
The Star Trek icon and friend to geeks everywhere reflects on his time-traveling role.
By Ryan Britt
https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...eo-time-travel
milo bloom (05-07-22)
Old 05-07-22, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The season wasn't great overall. I think I enjoyed season 1 more, but I liked how they wrapped things up. I never looked at Q and Picard as having an adversary-type relationship. It was always about lessons being learned and how to make the most of things. At least we got some closure to their relationship.

I was surprised to see Wesley again. That was unexpected and nice. I know some of you here hate Wheaton and think he's just a Star Trek shill But, I think he's a fan and is just passionate about the franchise. Since Gates is in the final season, I wonder if she will have the opportunity to see her son again.

It was nice to see Whoopi Guinan again and fill Picard in on Rios life and how he lived it. Go figure instead of dying peacefully as an old man, he chooses to go out in a blaze of glory.
Old 05-08-22, 02:26 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...et-1235140271/

This article confirms pretty much what we already knew- the reason why Picard is so terrible can be laid solely at the feet of Patrick Stewart. Picard is his vanity project where he admits to working out his own mental health issues, where essentially he’s just playing himself now.

This confirms that season 3 will be shit as well.
I don't blame Patrick Stewart at all for the weaknesses of the storyline and I think you give him too much credit for calling this 'his vanity project'!
Of course he is certainly giving input since he is a producer but I doubt he was in the writers room or making script changes or changing the storyline the show runners wanted to use.

Let's remember Michael Chabon (a genius and actual Star Trek fan) was the one who came up with the whole idea of a show based around Picard in his twilight years. While most people on here trashed Season 1 as being 'not Trek enough' or having too many plotholes or whatever...for me Season 1 is on a whole other level compared to what we are getting from Kurtzman/Goldsman. They just dont know how to tell a story as well and don't have the intellect and imagination of Chabon.

Unfortunately nothing from Season 1 even seems to have carried over other than the new characters that were created. It appears that larger story arc for Season 2/3 is really just about Picard saying goodbye to everyone as he ponders nearing the end of his life, which makes no sense anymore since he could now live as a 'synth' for hundreds of years like Data.
It's still fun to tag along with Picard on his Farewell tour and get a chance to see what other favorite TNG characters are up to.

Sloppy Trek is still better than no Trek at all.
Old 05-08-22, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually would take no Star Trek over tainting the legacy of characters I love.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
bunkaroo (05-08-22), mikehunt (07-19-22)
Old 05-08-22, 04:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So Patrick Stewart has assured everyone next season will suck, the TNG cast will not be together but seen at different times, such a missed opportunity

https://trekmovie.com/2022/05/07/pat...n-memory-lane/
Old 05-08-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly that doesn’t surprise me? Why give people what they want? Instead it’ll be Picard making pit stops throughout the season to reminisce with old friends.
Philly30 (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 04:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

More of Riker making Pizza is probably the best they can do
Old 05-08-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The reunions we’ve seen so far just come across as the cast mates getting together. I mean that’s fine, but they hardly seem in character. They’re more like feel good moments to get old friends back together than actually reuniting the characters for an adventure.
Old 05-09-22, 10:40 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I actually would take no Star Trek over tainting the legacy of characters I love.
The good news is no one is forcing you to watch!

To quote Leonard Nimoy: “Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae,” Nimoy told Reuters. “Open your mind! Be a ‘Star Trek’ fan and open your mind and say, ‘Where does Star Trek want to take me now’.” (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...5443BU20090505 )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.