DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Hugh Grant ‘in talks to be new Doctor Who’ (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/655082-hugh-grant-%91-talks-new-doctor-who%92.html)

ViewAskewbian 03-21-22 10:16 AM

Hugh Grant ‘in talks to be new Doctor Who’

Hugh Grant ‘in talks to be new Doctor Who’ as sci-fi series gets ‘Marvel-style makeover’

Well, rumour has it the Love Actually star could be taking over from Jodie Whittaker as the Time Lord.

According to The Mirror, the BBC series could be heading for a Marvel-style makeover, with Hugh at the helm.

Speculation around which actor will take over from Jodie when she bows out as the Doctor later this year is rife, especially as Russell T Davies is returning to the sci-fi series for its 60th anniversary next year.

CyberpunkCentra 03-21-22 10:42 AM

Re: Hugh Grant ‘in talks to be new Doctor Who’

What do they mean Marvel-style?

GuessWho 03-21-22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentra (Post 14077523)
What do they mean Marvel-style?

Did you read the article? Guess not.

From the link above:

The source also said the screenwriter wants to expand Doctor Who into a Marvel-like franchise, and tell the stories of other key characters who have had encounters with the Time Lord.

‘With the utmost respect to the BBC, in the past attempts like Torchwood were made on a very limited budget in locations around Wales. Now the world is (showrunner Russell T Davies') oyster,’ they added.

dex14 03-21-22 11:30 AM

Hugh could be fun. His work lately has been really good.

jpcamb 03-21-22 11:47 AM

this could be interesting. Not sure I would have been happy with Grant ten years back but he seems to be doing more rounded roles lately.

philo 03-21-22 11:53 AM

Grant has the hyper verbal comedic thing down which fits the role but it all seems been there done that. I haven't watched him in anything in ages so I don't know if he's grown in range as an actor but I wonder how he will carry the weightier scenes?

In any case the show will need a dramatic regeneration after Whittaker. I'd been a loyal viewer since Eccleston but I finally gave up a few eps into the Whittaker shows.

jpcamb 03-21-22 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by philo (Post 14077562)
Grant has the hyper verbal comedic thing down which fits the role but it all seems been there done that. I haven't watched him in anything in ages so I don't know if he's grown in range as an actor but I wonder how he will carry the weightier scenes?

In any case the show will need a dramatic regeneration after Whittaker. I'd been a loyal viewer since Eccleston but I finally gave up a few eps into the Whittaker shows.

you should try to watch "The undoing" with HG and Nicole Kidman and Donald Southerland I was really impressed with Grant in that show.

dex14 03-21-22 12:09 PM

Watch him in Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen.

milo bloom 03-21-22 01:55 PM

He was already the Doctor many years ago in a "non-canon" special. He was allegedly asked to do it regularly but turned it down and then later regretted it.

Josh-da-man 03-21-22 03:52 PM

The new Doctor and his new companion?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0d625d4fc7.jpg

Daytripper 03-21-22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 14077566)
you should try to watch "The undoing" with HG and Nicole Kidman and Donald Southerland I was really impressed with Grant in that show.

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14077574)
Watch him in Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen.

Beat me to it. He was very good in "The Undoing". But "The Gentlemen" was his best performance in years IMO.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-21-22 09:42 PM

Why is Jodie leaving?

Toonview 03-21-22 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 14077894)
Why is Jodie leaving?

I believe 3 years is the standard run for a Doctor actor in the modern era.

alfredog1976 03-22-22 08:34 AM

ViewAskewbian 03-22-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by alfredog1976 (Post 14077998)

Well, so much for that. :p

Shannon Nutt 03-22-22 04:54 PM

It's The Mirror - the UK's version of the National Enquirer.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if David Tennant agreed to do it for a single season - he and Russell T. Davis are close pals.

jpcamb 03-22-22 05:24 PM

But I read it online so it must be trrrrruuuuuueeee!!!!

milo bloom 03-22-22 07:05 PM

Why are we not rallying for Paul McGann to get a proper season?

Jay G. 03-23-22 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Toonview (Post 14077930)
I believe 3 years is the standard run for a Doctor actor in the modern era.

More like 3 seasons ('series' in UK) has become the standard run. With assorted specials, it's been closer to 3 1/2 years between their first episode and last. Jodi will have been The Doctor for over 4 years by the time her last special airs, but will have the least amount of air time since the 9th, since her seasons had significantly less episodes than usual.

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but Hugh Grant has (briefly) played The Doctor before, in the 1999 Doctor Who Comic Relief special The Curse of Fatal Death. That special's not canon though:

Jay G. 03-23-22 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14078333)
Why are we not rallying for Paul McGann to get a proper season?

Maybe that's what the "Marvelization" will do? A spin-off "prequel" series with Paul McGann?

ViewAskewbian 03-23-22 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 14078494)
It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but Hugh Grant has (briefly) played The Doctor before, in the 1999 Doctor Who Comic Relief special The Curse of Fatal Death. That special's not canon though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp_Fw5oDMao

Milon mentioned it in Doctor #9...errr...post #9. :p

But, before that post, I had no clue that existed. Thanks for sharing the link.

Josh-da-man 03-23-22 10:33 AM

"Curse of the Fatal Death" is really just a gag done for charity.

Jonathan Pryce made a great Master, though.