Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead: Dead City (AMC) -- S: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lauren Cohan

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-07-22, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Two more of The Walking Dead’s beloved characters are getting their own spinoff.

AMC on Monday announced a six-episode series order for Isle of the Dead, a spinoff of the flagship series set to star Lauren Cohan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan as they reprise their respective roles as Maggie and Negan.

Longtime TWD writer Eli Jorné will serve as showrunner on the drama via his overall deal with AMC Studios. The series will be overseen by TWD Universe content chief Scott M. Gimple and debut in 2023. Isle of the Dead will be set in Manhattan and follow Negan and Maggie exploring a post-apocalyptic New York City. Cohan and Morgan will also serve as exec producers.

“This is a very big day for the expanding universe we are building around The Walking Dead,” said Dan McDermott, president of entertainment and AMC Studios for AMC Networks. “It not only adds another compelling series to this collection, it extends our storytelling around two unforgettable characters fans have grown to love, hate or hate and then love in Maggie and Negan, brilliantly inhabited by Lauren and Jeffrey. It also lets us explore a corner of this universe located on the island of Manhattan, with an iconic skyline that takes on a very different meaning when viewed through the lens of a zombie apocalypse.”

All told, Isle of the Dead will be the fifth spinoff in the TWD universe. Beyond the mothership, AMC ordered episodic anthology Tales of the Walking Dead, which has already been casting ahead of its summer debut. There’s also Fear the Walking Dead (renewed for its seventh season), the already concluded limited series Walking Dead: World Beyond and the untitled Norman Reedus-Melissa McBride drama from flagship showrunner Angela Kang. The latter series will launch in 2023 — after The Walking Dead wraps its run in late 2022 following an expanded 24-episode 11th and final season on AMC. There’s also the long-gestating trio of Andrew Lincoln-led feature films following the events of Rick Grimes, the beloved character who was the star of both the TV series and comic book franchise.

“Eli has created a chaotic, beautiful, grimy madhouse of the dead for Negan, Maggie, and fans of the show eager to discover an unseen and insane world of the TWD Universe,” said Gimple. “Lauren and Jeffrey have always been fantastic collaborators and now, we bring that collaboration to the next level with a series that will take these characters to their limits with the world — and each other. All of us are thrilled to take you on an all new, all different TWD epic for the ages.”

Cohan joined TWD in season two as a recurring, playing fan-favorite comic book character Maggie. Talks for a spinoff featuring the actress have been kicking around since early 2019, when she briefly parted ways with the franchise following a months-long contract renegotiation to star in ABC’s short-lived Whiskey Cavalier. She returned in a limited capacity for season nine before being upped back to series regular in season 10 following Whiskey’s cancellation and after reaching a new pact with AMC.

“I’m thrilled to partner with Dan McDermott and the team at AMC on the next chapter in The Walking Dead Universe,” Cohan said. “Maggie is very close to my heart and I’m excited to continue her journey against the iconic backdrop of New York City, alongside my friend and collaborator, Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Eli Jorné has created something incredibly special and I cannot wait for the fans to see what we have in store for Maggie and Negan.”

Morgan, meanwhile, first joined in the season five finale as comic book villain Negan and he’s been a regular with the show since. “I’m delighted that Negan and Maggie’s journey continues,” he said. “It’s been such a ride walking in Negan’s shoes, I’m beyond excited to continue his journey in New York City with Lauren. Walkers in an urban setting has always been such a cool image, but 5th Avenue, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty? The greatest city in the world?? The backdrop is amazing, but it’s the story that Eli Jorné cooked up that is even better. Buckle up folks, Isle of the Dead is going to reinvent the TWD Universe. Huge thank you to Dan McDermott, Scott Gimple and AMC for having us back for more… we simply can’t wait.”

Sources noted that rather than continuing the flagship series with Reedus (Daryl), McBride (Carol) — and now Cohan and Morgan — AMC will now have the option to sell international and streaming rights to both new series while also reducing the budget and licensing fees. Both international and streaming rights for the flagship are tied up with years-old deals with Fox International and Netflix, respectively.

Old 03-07-22, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts
re: The Walking Dead: Dead City (AMC) -- S: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lauren Cohan

https://i.gifer.com/D3.gif

not sure the gif will work but it's a cow being milked. Does this universe need any expanison?
Old 03-07-22, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

It's the 5th Walking Dead TV show spinoff and there's still a feature film with Andrew Lincoln that they insist is happening.

Yeah I can understand how some think this franchise is being milked to death.
Old 03-07-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

Didn't see that one coming.

I think I'm more interested in this one than the Daryl Carol one.

(will watch both)
Old 03-07-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Less about a "Bold new vision" and more about
AMC will now have the option to sell international and streaming rights to both new series while also reducing the budget and licensing fees. Both international and streaming rights for the flagship are tied up with years-old deals with Fox International and Netflix, respectively.
Old 03-07-22, 02:17 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Two more characters you don’t have to worry about dying on the main show, thus removing any suspense.
Old 03-07-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Two more characters you don’t have to worry about dying on the main show, thus removing any suspense.
It just shows how desperate they are to generate excitement with this franchise. The same with announcing that Madison is returning to FTWD. They can't let anything be a surprise anymore.
Old 03-07-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

"DONT DEAD OPEN INSIDE". Perfect for a meme with the chick arguing with the cat.

This is ridiculous. I assumed (or at least was wondering) if Negan would be alive when the show ended - I guess I know now.

"A bold new vision". Right. Like this is going to be any different.

The ZA should be almost over at this point in the timeline. Walkers should be more rare and sparse in population by now. And yet they're going to drag this out some more. Brutal.

Originally Posted by Neil M.
The same with announcing that Madison is returning to FTWD. They can't let anything be a surprise anymore.
I only watched the first 2 seasons and gave up, but I thought I heard Madison died a few seasons later. Are did they do a Rick Grimes death scenario again with that show?
Old 03-07-22, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Coral
"DONT DEAD OPEN INSIDE". Perfect for a meme with the chick arguing with the cat.
You're supposed to read it up, down. Don't Open, Dead Inside. I know, most won't read it like that.
Old 03-07-22, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

I loved the original show for a long time, but finally got bored and lost interest in the back half of season 10. I'm sure I'll eventually catch season 11 to see how it wraps up, but I think that's about all I have left in me for the franchise. To varying degrees, I enjoyed Fear the Walking Dead for its first 4 seasons, but it got so terrible over 5 & 6 that it ruined any interest I had in any of the characters. I'm surprised to see AMC still pushing making this like a 30-year shared universe of shows or whatever they claim it's going to be.
Old 03-07-22, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
You're supposed to read it up, down. Don't Open, Dead Inside. I know, most won't read it like that.
Yeah, that's why it's perfect for that chick/cat meme. Wouldn't be surprised if someone already made one from this.

EDIT: Not the chick/cat one, but someone already jumped on it

EDIT2: Spoke too soon:

The following users liked this post:
DJariya (03-07-22)
Old 03-07-22, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Wow, and I stopped watching the main show shortly after Negan popped up. Guess I should catch up....
Old 03-07-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't fault JDM and Lauren Cohan for taking this job. It's a regular paycheck and it's a property, although way past it's prime, that people still watch. Lauren Cohan tried to branch off on her own show and it failed.

I do agree that announcing this show now when the main show is still 13 episodes from ending seems so desperate to keep it relevant. It would have made more sense to announce them during the series finale. I think AMC is just afraid by the time the series finale airs in early 2023, people will want to move on or be too burnt out to continue.
Old 03-07-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think AMC is just afraid by the time the series finale airs in early 2023, people will want to move on or be too burnt out to continue.
If that were the case, they wouldn't be releasing the final season in 3 batches - and would just get it all done in one shot.

I don't think announcing it now really helps them all that much in keeping people interested - it just makes the finale anti-climactic since we know Daryl, Carol, Rick (Michonne probably) and now Negan/Maggie will still be alive.
Outside of those 6, I think the only major characters left are Eugene, Rosita, Gabriel, Zeke and Aaron. Not going to get a lot of buzz with any of these deaths.
Old 03-07-22, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Still waiting for Rick to kill Negan, like he PROMISED he would...

The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (03-08-22)
Old 03-07-22, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
When they announced the Carol-n-Daryl spin-off, I wondered if it wasn't some kind of fake-out to make you think those two characters were safe. And then that series would either be vaporware, or take place during the missing years.
Old 03-07-22, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

It's the 5th Walking Dead TV show spinoff and there's still a feature film with Andrew Lincoln that they insist is happening.

Yeah I can understand how some think this franchise is being milked to death.
This is only going to be a six episode limited series. I really consider World Beyond to be a limited series as well. They aren't intended to go on indeifently. I'm not sure if the Carol/Daryl series is going to be limited or not, but you can only have Daryl cry on screen so many times before it gets redundant and Carol how many times can Carol get mopey and disappear for a few days or episodes before that gets old.
Old 03-07-22, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only watched the first 2 seasons and gave up, but I thought I heard Madison died a few seasons later. Are did they do a Rick Grimes death scenario again with that show?
It was one of those you didn't technically see her die so she could come back type of deaths. But I could also see her coming back in a flashback. Either way, they're just trying to bring back fans any way they can.
Old 03-07-22, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't think announcing it now really helps them all that much in keeping people interested - it just makes the finale anti-climactic since we know Daryl, Carol, Rick (Michonne probably) and now Negan/Maggie will still be alive.
Outside of those 6, I think the only major characters left are Eugene, Rosita, Gabriel, Zeke and Aaron. Not going to get a lot of buzz with any of these deaths.
Out of those, only Eugene or maybe Gabriel would impress me. Ezekiel has been teasing thyroid cancer for seemingly a couple seasons now...enough already. No matter how hard the writers try to convince otherwise Rosita and Aaron are Beta characters. Heck, I'd lump Maggie into that as well.

But seriously, when is the last time a central character seemed in genuine danger or actually died? Carl, now 4 years & 57 episodes ago? That's more than a third of the entire series. It has become just another show where the core characters are obviously impervious to serious harm, which is very unlike the first half of the show's existence when it was not coincidentally a far superior product.
Old 03-07-22, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
But seriously, when is the last time a central character seemed in genuine danger or actually died? Carl, now 4 years & 57 episodes ago? That's more than a third of the entire series. It has become just another show where the core characters are obviously impervious to serious harm, which is very unlike the first half of the show's existence when it was not coincidentally a far superior product.
The problem is that they're so thin on central characters, they can't kill off any more this soon or more people would tune out. I consider Maggie a central character, so right now it would be her, Daryl, Carol and Negan. That's it. In the early seasons the show would have around 6 or more central characters at any given time, but then at some point around 4 or 5 seasons ago, they were dropping like flies and we were swarmed with a bunch of B characters whose names I still can't remember.
Old 03-08-22, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't fault JDM and Lauren Cohan for taking this job. It's a regular paycheck and it's a property, although way past it's prime, that people still watch. Lauren Cohan tried to branch off on her own show and it failed.

I do agree that announcing this show now when the main show is still 13 episodes from ending seems so desperate to keep it relevant. It would have made more sense to announce them during the series finale. I think AMC is just afraid by the time the series finale airs in early 2023, people will want to move on or be too burnt out to continue.
I suspect they will start filming very. soon for this, so its going. to leak regardless. They have got to be wrapping up the final episodes by now on TWD.

Like many said, this re-starts the sales process, new contracts, cheaper cast etc. This makes total sense. HBO just wishes they could have done this with GOT, which ended years ago with no spinoff to carry the name. TWD has FTWD, Carol/Darly, Maggie/Neagan, Rick movie(s) and the random episodic show they are shooting.

Super smart. AMC will prime for purchase.
Old 03-08-22, 10:23 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The problem is that they're so thin on central characters, they can't kill off any more this soon or more people would tune out. I consider Maggie a central character, so right now it would be her, Daryl, Carol and Negan. That's it. In the early seasons the show would have around 6 or more central characters at any given time, but then at some point around 4 or 5 seasons ago, they were dropping like flies and we were swarmed with a bunch of B characters whose names I still can't remember.
Really? I feel like we have a glut of "main" characters right now. Must be 15?
Old 03-08-22, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
This is only going to be a six episode limited series.
Where does it say that? I see it says they've ordered six episodes, but nothing about it being limited to six.
Old 03-08-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I suspect they will start filming very. soon for this, so its going. to leak regardless. They have got to be wrapping up the final episodes by now on TWD.

Like many said, this re-starts the sales process, new contracts, cheaper cast etc. This makes total sense. HBO just wishes they could have done this with GOT, which ended years ago with no spinoff to carry the name. TWD has FTWD, Carol/Darly, Maggie/Neagan, Rick movie(s) and the random episodic show they are shooting.

Super smart. AMC will prime for purchase.
The question is will fans care? They announced the Rick Grimes movies and expansion of the universe at the end of 2018. Since then, we've only seen World Beyond. Fear is probably going to be done sooner rather than later. This franchise could be dead in a few years if they don't find something that clicks with fans. I'm not really sure doing spin off series with the surviving characters is going to do the trick.

Old 03-08-22, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Where does it say that? I see it says they've ordered six episodes, but nothing about it being limited to six.
Several articles stated that it was a "six episode series". Their wording didn't say "six episode first season". They could have misinterpreted it or things could change depending on ratings. It sounded like it was more of a closed end series like The World Beyond though. If not, they are limiting themselves to staying in one spot for a long period of time with the title they are using.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.