Survivor Season 42 Premieres 3/9/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Season 42 Premieres 3/9/22

Old 04-15-22, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Survivor Season 42 Premieres 3/9/22

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
Roxbarry at least seems like he's more interesting than they have portrayed him so far this season. Or maybe it was just the edit they gave him showing what occurred with the hourglass decision. With Erika it just seemed like there was no logic to her decision and she just took a chance and somehow it all just worked out for her.
There is no decision, so it was probably hard for them to edit it to make it look like there was any hesitation on his or Erika's part. The choice that they give them is basically "Do you want to be immune or do you want a one in six chance of being voted out". 100% of contestants break the hourglass. The slight change they made this season was irrelevant, so the twist is still just awful.

Old 04-20-22, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Figured this news best fits in the current season's thread:

Survivor's Ralph Kiser Dead at 56 (msn.com)

He competed back in 2011 during the Redemption Island season.
Old 04-21-22, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't help but be impressed by the way Jonathan dominates all the physical aspects of this season. He once more put a team on his back to win a challenge in come-from-behind fashion. Then he very nearly pulled off the individual immunity challenge, despite it being one of those (balance on a beam) geared towards women/smaller players. Both he and Mike seem easy to root for, though who knows if they can overcome Drea's 27 advantages.
Old 04-21-22, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
You can't help but be impressed by the way Jonathan dominates all the physical aspects of this season.
Find it hilarious someone thought it was a good idea to cast a a 6'4 jacked former D1 swimmer who set a Guinness Record for strength in a season full of regular schlubs. It's like taking Shaq to some local playground and letting him dunk on 5th graders.
Old 04-21-22, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Find it hilarious someone thought it was a good idea to cast a a 6'4 jacked former D1 swimmer who set a Guinness Record for strength in a season full of regular schlubs. It's like taking Shaq to some local playground and letting him dunk on 5th graders.
True, maybe they thought the extreme conditions (lack of food) for this season would be more detrimental to him than others, especially with all the talk of his daily calorie intake. I'm not surprised he skated by early on since his tribe depended on him for success, but now that they've merged, one would think he'd be a target. Instead, he seems fairly secure at this point.
Old 04-21-22, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I wonder if this is another Xander or Rupert in Pearl Island type situation(ie we are being given an america's sweetheart tv edit) but the situation on the island is actually a lot different and their warts are being hidden or at least sanded over and dismissed.
Old 04-21-22, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
I wonder if this is another Xander or Rupert in Pearl Island type situation(ie we are being given an america's sweetheart tv edit) but the situation on the island is actually a lot different and their warts are being hidden or at least sanded over and dismissed.
Guy with his physique and domination ability would have to be brain dead not to be on his best behavior at all times. And you can tell by his talking heads he's a sweet person.

Tiny amount of calories definitely must be killing him though. Going from 5,000 to 500 calories a day must be like eating nothing. Also holy shit at 5k calories a day, his food bills must be insane.
Old 04-21-22, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Also holy shit at 5k calories a day, his food bills must be insane.
Depends on the food.
2 1/2 party-size bags of Doritos (2000 cals and $4 each) means you can eat 5000 calories for $10/day.
Old 04-21-22, 04:23 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Guys anyone know if Jonathan has a Guiness world record ?
The following users liked this post:
William Fuld (04-23-22)
Old 04-22-22, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 198 Posts

IMO, Jonathan is the only reason to watch this season. He's unique and fun and extremely humble - so far. I like Omar too... but as a person. The rest are your typical "lurk in the weeds" type players who don't bring anything special to the table aside from luck and lying. The fact that Jonathan has made it this far is a testament to how special he is. Normally a guy like him would have been voted out at first tribal (and I know they considered it).
Finisher (04-22-22)
Old 04-22-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
IMO, Jonathan is the only reason to watch this season. He's unique and fun and extremely humble - so far. I like Omar too... but as a person. The rest are your typical "lurk in the weeds" type players who don't bring anything special to the table aside from luck and lying. The fact that Jonathan has made it this far is a testament to how special he is. Normally a guy like him would have been voted out at first tribal (and I know they considered it).
I don't know...I like Mike more than Omar. But to each his/her own.
Old 04-22-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The rest are your typical "lurk in the weeds" type players who don't bring anything special to the table aside from luck and lying.
I wouldn't say that there are no bad contestants or seasons, but people say the same type of thing about the new contestants in every season nowadays. I think it is just that we've now seen 626 different castaways, so it is hard to bring anything new to the table. I'm guessing that if the people who are memorable in your mind played in this season instead of 35-40 seasons ago, most of them would be largely forgettable also.
Boondock Saint (04-22-22)
Old 04-22-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The fact that Jonathan has made it this far is a testament to how special he is. Normally a guy like him would have been voted out at first tribal (and I know they considered it).
This is entirely untrue. In almost all seasons outside of just a weird idol play or getting the short stick in a tribe swap someone who is really good at challenges and provides around camp will almost always make it to the merge. Statistically the players who have the biggest obstacle to make it to the merge are usually the precieved weaker and or oldest females. Ozzy is basically the entitled a**hole version of Jonathan archetype and he was never in danger to be voted out premerge in any of his multiple seasons.
Old 04-23-22, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 513 Posts

It does happen, though. I still remember that guy Hunter from many years ago who was tall and athletic, and he was gone almost instantly.

Jonathan certainly stands out, but he makes things interesting, and you can’t win on physical strength alone. They’ll turn on him at some point.

Still waiting to see if anyone can knock off Challenge Monster Barbie.
Old 04-25-22, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
I wouldn't say that there are no bad contestants or seasons, but people say the same type of thing about the new contestants in every season nowadays. I think it is just that we've now seen 626 different castaways, so it is hard to bring anything new to the table. I'm guessing that if the people who are memorable in your mind played in this season instead of 35-40 seasons ago, most of them would be largely forgettable also.
You notice how they entirely steer clear of guys like Russell Hanson (something like that) these days? I get that his personality is entirely anti-2022... but he's an "interesting" guy from a demographic that very much exists. Survivor is clearly trying to plug every single social and demographic hole, and I'm fine with that for the most part. I'm just hoping for a bit more.
Old 04-27-22, 09:58 AM

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

There are a lot of advantages still out there...
  • Hai
    • Amulet (Extra Vote)
  • Mike
    • Full Idol
  • Maryanne
    • Full Idol
    • Extra Vote
  • Lindsay
    • Amulet (Extra Vote)
  • Drea
    • Amulet (Extra Vote)
    • Full Idol
    • Extra Vote
    • Knowledge is Power
Old 04-27-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 191 Likes on 162 Posts

It is precisely that there are so many un-played advantages still waiting to be used by contestants in the game that some tweaks need to be made to the advantages. So many advantages go to waste by not being used, so in the future Survivor producers should create advantages that have to be used pretty much immediately after they are found (yes, including hidden immunity idols, stop making idols that can be pocketed throughout the game, and force them to get played or wasted asap which will add to the excitement of the game).

Also, they should allow a player who finds an advantage to put it back even knowing what the advantage is (right now, I believe if they read what the advantage is they have to run with it, and cannot put it back in hiding). It would be interesting to see if players start to actually think twice about grabbing an advantage, because right now, 99.99% of players will say to the camera, on man this could hurt me, but of course they grab the advantage anyway. If they read the advantage and pass, and enough players do the same maybe the producers will realize that it is an "advantage" that needs to be retired and never seen again in other seasons.

I am still enjoying the season and with the exception of 1 or 2 seasons I pretty much passed on, I remain a long-time watcher of Survivor having started with Season 1. Other than 1 or 2 seasons I did not bother watching for one reason or another, I also have a tendency now to fast forward through parts of the episode, especially Tribal Councils, and just speed things along so Jeff is reading the votes.

ETA: I started googling to try and find a Ponderosa video for Season 42, and so far none pop up, did they decide to not produce Ponderosa videos for this season? Some foks on Reddit and elsewhere think that is the case, and usually I find a youtube of a Ponderosa when googling, but so far nothing. Bummer, I really liked the Ponderosa videos.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 04-27-22 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-27-22, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
ETA: I started googling to try and find a Ponderosa video for Season 42, and so far none pop up, did they decide to not produce Ponderosa videos for this season? Some foks on Reddit and elsewhere think that is the case, and usually I find a youtube of a Ponderosa when googling, but so far nothing. Bummer, I really liked the Ponderosa videos.
The person voted out tonight will be the first person on the jury... so the Ponderosa videos should start this week or next.
Old 04-27-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

No mention of the “men’s” alliance, but it’s a “race” alliance. Did Torre just get voted out because she’s white? She should have been voted out, but for other reasons. Survivor just got voted out for many.
Old 04-27-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
No mention of the “men’s” alliance, but it’s a “race” alliance. Did Torre just get voted out because she’s white? She should have been voted out, but for other reasons. Survivor just got voted out for many.
no one trusted Tori so she was voted out

many persons of color voted out Rockroy. If Tori had not won immunity last week, she would have been voted out last week instead of Chanelle. I do not want to watch woke Survivor.
Old 04-27-22, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
There were only 2 people who could receive votes and they were both white.
Old 04-27-22, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
There were only 2 people who could receive votes and they were both white.
Yeah, after the two black ladies openly discussed during tribal that they would only vote out a white lady, and then played their idols to ensure it.
Old 04-28-22, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Yeah, after the two black ladies openly discussed during tribal that they would only vote out a white lady, and then played their idols to ensure it.
If no one would have talked at tribal Drea and Tori would have voted each other and Drea would have played here idol( since Jonathan raised her flag earlier in the day about flushing out idols) and Tori would have left. The effect of the visceral fallout from seeing Rockroy voted out is only Maryanne playing her idol so people wouldn't think she survived the round due to her race but people seem to think that anyway.
Old 04-28-22, 10:56 AM

With these three voted into the jury, the Ponderosa videos should be interesting.
Old 04-29-22, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

#beingvotedoutofsurvivorisahatecrime

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.