DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Inventing Anna (Netflix) limited series starring Julia Garner (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/654687-inventing-anna-netflix-limited-series-starring-julia-garner.html)

Count Dooku 01-26-22 01:41 PM

Inventing Anna (Netflix) limited series starring Julia Garner

This premieres on Netflix on Feb 11. Garner is the draw for me, such an amazing actress.

I keep seeing the same promo picture of Julia Garner for this, but it is freaking me out because it absolutely looks like Kaitlyn Dever.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d58d39a4b9.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b467e2a5bd.jpg

This is some serious separated at birth shit!

dex14 02-10-22 05:20 PM

Re: Inventing Anna (Netflix) limited series starring Julia Garner

This will be out tomorrow.

MLBFan24 02-10-22 06:13 PM

Her range of accents is impressive.

TomOpus 02-10-22 07:42 PM

Being a true story is a big draw but Julia cements it.

Unclejosh 02-10-22 07:47 PM

Watching her demonstrate how she came up with the accent at each step on Fallon (or some other late night show) was really impressive.

Gizmo 02-10-22 07:57 PM

These are hour+ long episodes. Ugh.

TomOpus 02-11-22 07:18 PM

I didn't expect to be sympathetic towards Anna by the end of the series.

TomOpus 02-11-22 07:28 PM

For those curious.

See the ‘Inventing Anna’ cast side by side with their real-life counterparts

Throwing Copper 02-11-22 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 14058098)
I didn't expect to be sympathetic towards Anna by the end of the series.

Wow. Must not be very many episodes if you finished it already. How was it overall?

TomOpus 02-11-22 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 14058133)
Wow. Must not be very many episodes if you finished it already. How was it overall?

It's 9 episodes. This was my weekend off of work. I really liked it. Julia is mesmerizing as Anna, along with Anna Chlumsky's pregnant Vivian, which was a suspenseful sidestory. Series was gorgeously filmed, always appreciate a drama looking good.

Why So Blu? 02-11-22 11:28 PM

I almost turned it off but the final part of episode 1 ramps up and reeled me in, so I will keep it going. I do hate Anna's accent. There's like 3-4 different accents in there, which makes me believe that it's part of the grift, or the actress just can't do proper accents and jumbled it up on purpose. It's also in 4K DV / Atmos, so that's pretty cool.

Count Dooku 02-12-22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14058182)
I almost turned it off but the final part of episode 1 ramps up and reeled me in, so I will keep it going. I do hate Anna's accent. There's like 3-4 different accents in there, which makes me believe that it's part of the grift, or the actress just can't do proper accents and jumbled it up on purpose. It's also in 4K DV / Atmos, so that's pretty cool.

You think Netflix made an entire TV series with the lead character using a noticeably odd accent because the starring actress couldn't perform the necessary accent correctly?

I mean, you think that's even a possibility?

TomOpus 02-12-22 05:39 PM

Once I get home I'll look for a video of the real Anna so I can hear her real accent.

dex14 02-12-22 05:47 PM

TomOpus 02-13-22 12:20 AM

Found this segment of 60 Minutes Australia. Special appearances by her friend Rachel and her lawyer Todd.

Count Dooku 02-13-22 02:47 AM

I wasn't so sure about this series after the first two episodes, but I finished 3 & 4 and am totally engaged.

Why So Blu? 02-13-22 04:12 PM

Yeah, it got me. I'm on episode 7.

Why So Blu? 02-13-22 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 14058375)
You think Netflix made an entire TV series with the lead character using a noticeably odd accent because the starring actress couldn't perform the necessary accent correctly?

I mean, you think that's even a possibility?

I think the actress couldn't shake her Ozark accent. I just watched the real Sorokin and that's the issue. The actress can do the basic drawl but then emphasizes some words with a southern twang.

Count Dooku 02-13-22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14058818)
I think the actress couldn't shake her Ozark accent. I just watched the real Sorokin and that's the issue. The actress can do the basic drawl but then emphasizes some words with a southern twang.

Yeah, what's-her-name is not much of an actress, and this whole production has a "good enough is great" vibe to it, so your take is likely correct.

jpcamb 02-14-22 11:15 AM

watched the first episode and after seeing her on Ozark I'm a bit suprised how weak Julia's Anna seems characterwise. I can ceartinly see why they chose her for the role but that accent is like nails on a chalkboard. I'll probably come back to this as I really like Anna Chulmsky from Veep and it sounds like it gets better in later episodes.

Why So Blu? 02-14-22 11:35 AM

Just finished it and it's pretty good but I have no sympathy for Anna at all. Her manipulation powers are level: God. It was funny and weird to see that even though she wronged a lot of people, those same people were still affected and obsessed with her.

The final episode clocks in at 82 mins alone.

dex14 02-14-22 11:38 AM

It's funny to see a crossover of multiple "elite" con artists and douchebags on this show... Pharmabro... Fyre Fest fuckhead.

jpcamb 03-01-22 11:43 AM

I picked this back up and only have the last episode to go now. It does get better but at this point, I just want to slap the reporter upside the head for waiting so long to actually write the story.

Also, have to say there is something about the actress that plays Neff that I really like. :wub:

Coral 03-01-22 12:10 PM

I already knew the story before going into this, so I was interested in seeing if there were more details this series would provide me.
However, I gave up after 3 episodes. The dialog and acting and everything about it really felt like one of those teen shows.

joeblow69 03-23-22 04:19 PM

So I just finished episode 4 last night, and I'm enjoying it I guess, but to me it kind of feels like it should be wrapping up now. And then I looked at the episode list and there's still FIVE episodes left ... I dunno man ... does something EXCITING happen in the last half? Or is it just more of the same?