Reload this Page >

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters (Apple TV+) - premieres 11/17/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters (Apple TV+) - premieres 11/17/23

Old 11-23-23, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters (Apple TV+) - premieres 11/17/23

I'm not going to like it if they make Shaw Hiroshi's father. It seemed like they are more than foreshadowing it.
Old 11-24-23, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 580 Likes on 445 Posts

Old 11-24-23, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 810 Posts

I love this, except for the chick playing Cate being mediocre, at best.
Old 11-25-23, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Yeah, the anti-Godzilla sign painted on the nuke felt out of place, since none of these people knew what to expect. Otherwise, it was a quite enjoyable scene.

Next week will no doubt start out with a lot of freaking out from the observers when Godzilla emerges unscathed.
Old 11-25-23, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
Yeah, the anti-Godzilla sign painted on the nuke felt out of place, since none of these people knew what to expect. Otherwise, it was a quite enjoyable scene.

Next week will no doubt start out with a lot of freaking out from the observers when Godzilla emerges unscathed.
It's weird cos when Dr. Serizawa talks about that event in the 2014 movie, I was always left with the impression that they had encountered Big G before and the nuke was their Hail Mary attempt to finally finish him off. I didn't expect it to be a first attempt.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-27-23 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,485 Posts

If this show was on a bigger platform like Netflix or Prime Video, it probably would be more talked about and bigger in the news cycle. I feel like no one is really talking about this show and it's a pretty big A-List production.

Really seems like a lot of people are churning to cut expenses (Apple raising their prices) and are waiting to binge this later on and just aren't keeping up right now.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-27-23 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This was hardly on my radar and I'm now looking forward to each episode.
Old 11-27-23, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So this thread hasn’t gotten a lot of activity since everyone canceled their Apple TV plus subscription after the price increase?

I liked how we got kind of a an acknowledgement of Shaw’s age. You’re like 90-something? I have good genes

Of course that was a no brainer that Cate and Kentaro’s Dad was still alive.

Seeing Godzilla and that new ice monster at the end were pretty cool. I’m curious who the mysterious Monarch person is.
I think they mentioned the age thing a couple times so maybe it becomes a plot point.
Old 11-27-23, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think they mentioned the age thing a couple times so maybe it becomes a plot point.
His pal mentioned he looks younger every time. It could just be a throwaway complement, but... Perhaps he becomes his 1950s self by season's end?
Old 11-28-23, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 175 Posts

Tired family cliché's is killing this.

I do like it not loving it, but the whinny daughter is unbearable.

And everyone has a hacker pal.

Ugh.

Visuals are cool and always great to see Kurt Russell but man...hopefully it picks up.

The following users liked this post:
Pointyskull (01-15-24)
Old 11-28-23, 11:09 AM

Received 729 Likes on 479 Posts

His pal mentioned he looks younger every time. It could just be a throwaway complement, but... Perhaps he becomes his 1950s self by season's end?
Benjamin Button called and wants its plot line back.

I got caught up on these over the weekend and liked them quite a bit - except for the "family business" stuff, as others have said, it's a bit tired.

The new monsters are cool... and Godzilla's cameo was great. The effects are fantastic.

I'm getting a little lost on the shuffling order of the scenes/timeline, but I'm trying to keep it all straight.

Oh, and I have a hard time believing that Anders Holm grows up to be John Goodman... and that he is Cate and Centro's grandfather.
Old 11-28-23, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 974 Posts

I'm loving this show. I'm an old-school Godzilla fan so this is like catnip for me. The idea of having a real father and son play the same character on the show is genius. Love that we already got a Godzilla appearance too. I was afraid that was going to have to wait.

I don't think the timeline is hard to follow - they are putting the dates up every time.

My wife missed that Bill and Keiko were married (They said it quickly when they were in the jeep talking with Lee about how he wasn't in a relationship). That's the crucial piece of info.
  • Bill, Keiko and Lee start Monarch in 1954.
  • Bill and Keiko have a son, Hiroshi, who also ends up working for Monarch.
  • Keiko dies in 1959.
  • Bill throws his bag in the ocean in 1973 and dies on Skull Island (as older John Goodman).
  • Bill's bag is discovered in 2013 and because it is marked with Monarch and came from Bill, it ends up with his son, Hiroshi, who still works there.
  • Hiroshi has Cate and Kentaro, who meet in 2015 after his disappearance.
It's basically just "Cate and Kentaro's grandparents and their friend started Monarch and now they are caught up in it".

The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
[email protected] (02-08-24), DJariya (11-28-23)
Old 11-28-23, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
Keiko dies in 1959.
Did she really? Maybe she is just Queen of the Roaches.

Thanks for the timeline Draven , it helped me realize I am following along okay. It was the "death" date that had slipped my mind... and I wonder if she is really dead as we haven't seen a kid from them yet (or did I miss that too?).
Draven (11-28-23)
Old 11-28-23, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 831 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Thanks for the timeline Draven , it helped me realize I am following along okay. It was the "death" date that had slipped my mind... and I wonder if she is really dead as we haven't seen a kid from them yet (or did I miss that too?).
Their kid is the missing/dead father the two kids are looking for. (assuming I understand your question correctly)
Old 11-28-23, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Their kid is the missing/dead father the two kids are looking for. (assuming I understand your question correctly)
I think the issue is that we didn't see a baby/toddler, but there was a jump backward from when we first see Bill, Keiko and Lee to when they all meet. That was the one thing that was a bit confusing - seeing Keiko die (and I assume she's dead but who knows) and then immediately jumping back to the same people in a similar setting and similar clothing.
Old 11-28-23, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,798 Posts

We never saw Keiko actually die or her body, and that's usually shorthand for her still being alive.

I didn't think Bill Randa died at the beginning when he tossed his bag into the sea, but I looked him up and it looks he did die in Kong: Skull Island when he was eaten by a Skullcrawler.
Old 11-28-23, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
We never saw Keiko actually die or her body, and that's usually shorthand for her still being alive.

I didn't think Bill Randa died at the beginning when he tossed his bag into the sea, but I looked him up and it looks he did die in Kong: Skull Island when he was eaten by a Skullcrawler.
According to Kong: Skull Island, Randa crashed on Skull Island, wandered around with Packard (Samuel L. Jackson), met back up with Conrad's (Tom Hiddleston) group, goes to the Skullcrawler graveyard, and get's eaten.

According to Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, Randa crashed on Skull Island, wandered around with Packard (Samuel L. Jackson), wandered away, bumped into the Bamboo Spider and the Rock Crab, ditched his bag, met back up with Conrad's (Tom Hiddleston) group, goes to the Skullcrawler graveyard, and get's eaten.

Got it.
Thos19 (12-05-23)
Old 11-28-23, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

According to Kong: Skull Island, Randa crashed on Skull Island, wandered around with Packard (Samuel L. Jackson), met back up with Conrad's (Tom Hiddleston) group, goes to the Skullcrawler graveyard, and get's eaten.

According to Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, Randa crashed on Skull Island, wandered around with Packard (Samuel L. Jackson), wandered away, bumped into the Bamboo Spider and the Rock Crab, ditched his bag, met back up with Conrad's (Tom Hiddleston) group, goes to the Skullcrawler graveyard, and get's eaten.

Got it.
Yeah they just pulled a Fast X (I know other movie sequels have done it too but that's the most recent) with the previously witnessed timeline of events.
Old 11-28-23, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Even though there are only four Monsterverse movies, I don't really have any of them burned into my memory.

I sort of rembered John Goodman being in Kong: Skull Island, but couldn't recall which movie Kurt Russell was in. Looked it up and he wasn't in any of them. I would have sworn he was in one of them, but I guess Russell pops up in so many big movies in supporting roles that it just seems like he's been in more franchises than he has.

Old 11-28-23, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-28-23, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Even though there are only four Monsterverse movies, I don't really have any of them burned into my memory.

I sort of rembered John Goodman being in Kong: Skull Island, but couldn't recall which movie Kurt Russell was in. Looked it up and he wasn't in any of them. I would have sworn he was in one of them, but I guess Russell pops up in so many big movies in supporting roles that it just seems like he's been in more franchises than he has.
As much as I've enjoyed the Monsterverse movies (even the bloated Godzilla: King of the Monsters), they are very weak when it comes to the human characters. They also don't feel too connected (which is both good and bad). This series, despite the YA drama beats, is the first time the humans felt like real people, rather than merely caricatures to string disparate scenes together. (They came close with Dr. Serizawa in Godzilla but he felt dumbed down in the sequel, before being offed. And Randa's abrupt death in Kong: Skull Island felt like it was merely done for shock value.) So much so that I hope these characters cross over to the movies, but also that the structure of the show carries over to the movies.
Old 11-28-23, 10:08 PM

And Randa's abrupt death in Kong: Skull Island felt like it was merely done for shock value.) So much so that I hope these characters cross over to the movies, but also that the structure of the show carries over to the movies.
But you have to admit him being swallowed with the flashbulb camera did add to the intensity of the scene seeing the flashes inside the Skullcrawler as it slinked through the fog. 😎
Old 11-28-23, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But you have to admit him being swallowed with the flashbulb camera did add to the intensity of the scene seeing the flashes inside the Skullcrawler as it slinked through the fog. 😎
​​​​​​I do admit it did add a scary creepiness that most of the movie was missing. The movie as a whole was a fun rollercoaster ride, but that one scene is where the film indulged in an otherwise untapped potential. Still, given that the character felt like there'd be more to him, his sudden death was a major WTF moment (kinda like when Oliver Platt went splat in X-Men: First Class).
Goldberg74 (11-28-23)
Old 11-29-23, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I think the issue is that we didn't see a baby/toddler, but there was a jump backward from when we first see Bill, Keiko and Lee to when they all meet. That was the one thing that was a bit confusing - seeing Keiko die (and I assume she's dead but who knows) and then immediately jumping back to the same people in a similar setting and similar clothing.
I thought they mentioned having a kid in that first scene in the truck with Lee.
Draven (12-02-23)
Old 11-30-23, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 815 Posts

New episode wasn't up yet, so I popped on episode 1. While they are in the truck in the beginning, Lee does say that Kei and Billy already have a kid at that point. Well, he says they are "raising a great kid" and then there is some banter between Lee and Kei that could be . . . suspect.
Draven (12-02-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.