The Book of Boba Fett (S1E04) - “Chapter 4: The Gathering Storm” - 1/19/22

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: The Book of Boba Fett (S1E04) - “Chapter 4: The Gathering Storm” - 1/19/22

Originally Posted by GuessWho
FWIW, the flashbacks are likely done.

His bacta treatment is over so he won't be having anymore "bacta the future" flashback dreams. We're caught up to current/Mandalorian time so looks to me like full speed ahead in the present from here on out.
my impression was the bacta tank treatment was due to the ongoing fights where he keeps getting whooped. I suspect we are in for more of them and the flashbacks that go with it.
Old 01-20-22, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts

Good stuff. Loved the Rancor making its presence known. It's going to need more than three episodes to reach a satisfying conclusion, even if they're just setting up season 2. They really should have made the flashbacks a longer prelude episode and released that and the first real episode at once before Christmas when people had more time off to devour it.

As for Slave One, Fett said he wanted to retrieve "my Firespray gunship". It's sorta like calling a Corvette "my Chevrolet automobile" but it's the model name, not the ship name, and is something that was apparently previously established.
Old 01-20-22, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
At 58, Ming Na is a month older than Jennifer... but Ralph Macchio is 2 years older than them both.
Yeah, but I don't want to have sex with Ralph Macchio.

Old 01-20-22, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I dunno ... if Ralph Macchio was having sex with Jennifer Beals and Ming-Na Wen, I would have sex with Ralph Macchio having sex with them.

Back to a more serious note ... I won't say this episode was spectacular, but it was pretty damned good and lightyears above Rodriguez's shit.

Most people are talking about the strafing run on the "bikers" (why does the word "bike" exist in the Star Wars world?) ... but I will take the ship vs. Sarlacc over that. That was freaking awesome! It could have been better (I was hoping he would pull it out of the ground first), but I loved it -- especially the depth charge (though, the deployment was bit of a stretch).

I don't understand the outcry over the name of the ship. First, crying that it was "Slave I when I was a kid" is akin to crying that the Confederate battle flag is a piece of your heritage that shouldn't be replaced. Second, I don't think BobAARP Fett called it "Firespray" ... he said "my Firespray ship." I took Firespray to be the type of ship.

Is it just me, or did the Bantha's face look just like a giant Wookie face?

I had some issues with Krrsantan in the previous episodes. His look is awesome, but something just wasn't right with the eyes. I'm not sure, but maybe it was too much white in his eyes (probably to offset from the black fur)? I don't know what the difference was, but this episode seemed much better.

Speaking of eyes, I HATE the Trandoshan look and it is mainly the eyes. They are way to cartoony. I had a different memory of Bossk having "expressively" small lizard eyes, but looking back at pictures maybe I was wrong.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-20-22 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

It is still called Slave I on the Star Wars website, but a Lego box called it Boba Fett's Starship, so that set teeth to gnashing. Slave I is kind of an odd name for a ship when you get down to it. As a longtime Star Wars geek, I feel no attachment to the name.

Slave I | StarWars.com
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I

I don't understand the outcry over the name of the ship. First, crying that it was "Slave I when I was a kid" is akin to crying that the Confederate battle flag is a piece of your heritage that shouldn't be replaced. Second, I don't think BobAARP Fett called it "Firespray" ... he said "my Firespray ship." I took Firespray to be the type of ship.
It is indeed the model of the ship. Has been for some time, so not sure why people are up in arms. I'm certain it was never even referred to by name on the OT.
Old 01-20-22, 09:21 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Aurora Sing refers to it as Slave I in The Clone Wars animated series and that’s the only mention of the name. I grew up calling it that because that’s what the toy was called. I’ll probably still keep calling it that, just like I still call the first movie Star Wars and not A New Hope. It’s not that big of a deal though. Nothing worth getting worked up over.
Old 01-21-22, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yes. The directors for the season are: Robert Rodriguez, Dave Filoni, Bryce Dallas Howard, Steph Green, Kevin Tancharoen. Rodriguez directs 3 of the episodes. I think Filoni's episode is Chapter 6, since that is the one he co-wrote with Fav.
Really wish they threw Joe Johnston a bone here, considering his history with Boba Fett. Who knows, maybe he declined, but it would have been nice to see his name.
Old 01-21-22, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i've been watching and it's alright. i mean most of the story is told as flashbacks. it great to see his history and what's going on now, but what's going on now and how he got there isn't too terribly exciting. imo. i think i am so much more hooked on The Mandalorian than this. I watch, but not with enthusiasm or wonderment like Mando, with almost every single ep. they were events. this is just a series set in SW universe and one that isn't all that interesting to me considering his cult/legendary status. this is really just ok and run of the mill.
My sentiments exactly. He's a legend but Mando is more badass than Boba (hell, Bo Katan is as well)... it's also a re-hashed environment (which is SO overdone at this point -- and Obi Wan is surely set in Tattooine as well) and the fact that they're going to lean on Mando as a guest character is disappointing to say the least. Now if they hadn't killed of Maul and brought in Crimson Dawn with Maul in charge... that would have been cool. But, alas, that'll never happen.
Old 01-21-22, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Speaking of eyes, I HATE the Trandoshan look and it is mainly the eyes. They are way to cartoony. I had a different memory of Bossk having "expressively" small lizard eyes, but looking back at pictures maybe I was wrong.
I took that scene as the Trandoshan pretty much shitting his pants and shocked by what was about to happen to him.
Old 01-21-22, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow I thought this was the worst one yet. Did not find it engaging almost at all outside of the Jennifer Beals scene. I also don't find Fett and interesting character in general and never have. I think this is OK but not in the same world as the Mandalorian.
Old 01-21-22, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Really wish they threw Joe Johnston a bone here, considering his history with Boba Fett. Who knows, maybe he declined, but it would have been nice to see his name.
JJ is retired.
bluetoast (01-22-22)
Old 01-21-22, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I took that scene as the Trandoshan pretty much shitting his pants and shocked by what was about to happen to him.
It wasn't just that scene. Look at them in any scene. Like I said, I thought maybe they modeled them after the animated version, but it turns out my memory of Bossk may have been off. The eyes make it look cheap (like, 60's Star Trek cheap).

Another quibble I hadn't brought up ... Boba's armor looks as if it is made from Mattel plastic.
Old 01-21-22, 08:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
my impression was the bacta tank treatment was due to the ongoing fights where he keeps getting whooped. I suspect we are in for more of them and the flashbacks that go with it.
i think the treatment and flashbacks may be over. the droid did come in and say, "You are now fully healed master" (or something like that) and the scars on his face were gone. but, who knows. i'm not engaged in the least.
Old 01-21-22, 09:30 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Old 01-22-22, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Some things are better left a mystery. It's just not necessary to know any of this stuff about Boba.
Old 01-23-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Remember when we were kids and everyone thought Boba Fett was a cold-as-ice badass? Now we get to see him do slapstick in as kitchen with a bunny rabbit droid!

I’m not super engaged with this series. It’s not grabbing my attention in any way. Although I did enjoy seeing the sarlacc minus the dumb “Audrey II” beak sticking out like we knew from the original RotJ. The internal beak isn’t nearly as ugly as the external SE RotJ.
Old 01-24-22, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts

In some ways, I think the reaction to the Boba Fett series is similar to the reaction to the prequels. People have built so much up in their minds over the years it would be impossible to satisfy the majority of fans. Should he be in a shootout every five minutes? Should be be as mysterious and cryptic as Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name? Should he fall in the Rancor Pit every episode (the Star Wars equivalent of Ow My Balls)?

The Mandalorian and even Peacemaker succeed because we have no real expectations for the characters. Mando was a brand new character and Peacemaker was part of an ensemble in one movie. No one had any preconceived notions. But Boba Fett is another story altogether. We already got the wandering monk vibe from him in The Mandalorian, so his new attitudes reflect his maturity and perhaps weariness.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jason:
Boondock Saint (01-24-22), GuessWho (01-24-22), Rodney2187 (01-24-22), VinVega (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ they should have left Boba Fett alone... let him be a bit player on Mando and stay a bad-ass mystery. The fact that Boba is locking himself down on Tattooine is pretty silly... and can you imagine Don Vito Corleone chasing a rat in his kitchen?
Old 01-24-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I am so glad I am not one of those super Star Wars nerds who can quote stuff from a book or an episode of a spin-off series that aired many years back. I am loving this series, and seeing some of the gaps filled in (like how Fennec was brought back from the dead) does not cause me to go, groan...not another flashback, lol.

Someone pointed out that whoever is designing and animating the droids in this show is just wonderful. During the "slow" chase it was fun to watch droids have to dodge and reform themselves (like the droid that drops and turns into a saucer to hug the ground and avoid being hit by a land speeder). It gives them a personality and makes them more than just background NPCs.

Anyway, when I was a kid I had the requisite Star Wars bed sheets that any true Star Wars fan had to have slept on when they were a kid, stuff like that, so yeah...big time fan, but this show does not annoy me at all.

The black Wookie is indeed flipping awesome, and seeing a young rancor bond with Fett is adorable. Not to mention the rancor was delivered to Fett by Machete, so what is there not to love about that?

Finally, some folks have said that they really do not care for Fett, or are just hinting that they are if not quite hate-watching the show, that is close to why they continue to watch, but with so much content out there if this was a show I did not like I would just move on to something else.

For example, this might seem like blasphemy to say this but the last season of Cobra Kai was a grind for me to get through (lots of fast forwarding through episodes), and the amount of times I wanted to scream at the TV that no way, so and so's actions (on the good guy and bad guy teams) would not have them get them arrested, or shot for invading a home, just aaaarrrghhhh, stuff that just was frustrating to watch, it has caused me to sit on the latest season of Cobra Kai. No urgency to watch at all but perhaps I will get around to it.

If you continue to watch this series on a week to week basis there must be enough that you like about the show to make it worth your valuable time to watch.

JeremyM (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I am so glad I am not one of those super Star Wars nerds who can quote stuff from a book or an episode of a spin-off series that aired many years back.I am loving this series, and seeing some of the gaps filled in (like how Fennec was brought back from the dead) does not cause me to go, groan...not another flashback, lol.

Anyway, when I was a kid I had the requisite Star Wars bed sheets that any true Star Wars fan had to have slept on when they were a kid, stuff like that, so yeah...big time fan, but this show does not annoy me at all.
I'm one of those Star Wars geeks, and I love this show too!

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
The black Wookie is indeed flipping awesome
Black Krrsantan
Old 01-24-22, 12:30 PM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I'm all in on this show!

Originally Posted by Rodney2187
Black Krrsantan
He has black fur and his name is Black Krrsantan?! Who named him, a Marvel Comics writer from the 1970s?!
Old 01-24-22, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
I'm all in on this show!

He has black fur and his name is Black Krrsantan?! Who named him, a Marvel Comics writer from the 1970s?!
is it safe to assume there is a White Krrsantan?
story (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by story
I'm all in on this show!

No, it was 2015 Marvel Comics writers.
story (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

They broke the seal on Boba Fett in Attack of the Clones IMO. Once we saw him as a kid it seemed inevitable we’d get way more about him at some point. Not counting Lucas’ promise we’d learn in ROTS why Boba hates the Skywalkers.

Personally I’d like to see more about his time pre-ANH.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.