Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Old 01-16-22, 02:41 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jpcamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,870
Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Got a E street band vibe from the first song - (not good as the Boss for sure) but seemed a strong vibe and they were for sure having fun and sounded good. Second song I could not understand the lyrics thru the distortion.

I really enjoyed the Elmo but during WE, not sure I would have been amused if I did not like that cast member though but she was pretty spot on. Overall the show was otherwise pretty much a dud though. The opening bit went on way too long and a few hours later nothing else from the show stands out.
Old 01-16-22, 03:38 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10,366
Received 569 Likes on 442 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Some other observations (and Dooku, I'll respond to your comments a bit later; you make some interesting points):

Does Pete Davidson actually have a Mars Attacks tattoo?

I don't know if it's because I'm not in NY anymore, but that NYC mayor sketch was just not funny, and it went ON and ON. Maybe it's one of those things you need to be in that area to appreciate, like bits that parodied Crazy Eddie back in the 80s.

I did get one chuckle out of the NBA sketch, with Mikey Day as the rec league baller getting interviewed by Heidi Gardner.
Mikey: Wow you're big. How tall are you??
Heidi: 5'7"
Old 01-16-22, 03:39 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 9,974
Received 515 Likes on 388 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
Got a E street band vibe from the first song - (not good as the Boss for sure) but seemed a strong vibe and they were for sure having fun and sounded good. .


The Boss shows up about 2:45
Old 01-17-22, 07:12 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 60,636
Received 802 Likes on 538 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Ariana Debose was a great host. Really enjoyed her even in the weaker sketches. She is talented.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-18-22)
Old 01-17-22, 07:42 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,679
Received 244 Likes on 151 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

I liked the NBA sketch.

First time I’ve laughed at Bowen Yang in a sketch.
Old 01-18-22, 11:23 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10,366
Received 569 Likes on 442 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I'm old enough to have been raised on rock bands that played their instruments and just jumped and ran around on stage, when and if they chose to do so, so i get where you are coming from. "Careful choreography" is part of the performance. The acts you decry are presenting a complete stage production. They have costumes and even do costume changes.

Imagine if you went to see a stage production of West Side Story, and the director decided to just focus on the singing in the musical numbers and told everyone else on stage just "be in the moment" and dance around however they felt.

This inclusion of choreography in the performance of pop music has certainly been around since the early 1990s, so your consistent astonishment at its existence is odd. But more so, it is an aspect of what it means to present a pop music stage show that young audiences understand and appreciate, and from some artists, absolutely expect. Nowadays, people watch dance competition shows, and dancing means knowing choreographed steps, not just jumping around and swaying to the music.

Yes, it is much more Broadway (at best) and Disneyland stage show (at worst) than ROCK N ROLL BABY, but in 2022 is that still a surprise?
Wanted to address this, since it was a direct response to my comments, and a lot of interesting points are raised.

One correction though, I'm not "astonished" that pop acts feature choreography, that's something I'm keenly aware of. My astonishment is that fans of that kind of presentation don't see the spontaneous performance like Bleachers and immediately become fans of that kind of show instead. Yes, it's more than slightly naive to think they would, I think we all like one thing or another and wonder why it's not the most popular thing in the world.

The reason Dooku's post gave me such pause is that I do like Broadway shows with tight choreography and would be very disappointed if the actors came out and just "did their own thing" rather than follow the steps (although I've been to a few plays where the actors had latitude to improvise, like pulling an audience member at random on stage to sing to them, or coming off stage to dance with an audience member, and I really enjoyed that "off-script" moment)

I guess the comparison I'd make is that if I went to a Lakers game and they started doing Harlem Globetrotters-like gags, I'd be roundly disappointed. Just as I'd be disappointed if I went to a "serious" Harlem Globetrotters vs. Washington Generals game. There's time I want reality, and time I want scripted. To me, a "musical artist" performing a song should be more of the former, whereas a play or dance performance should be the latter. And when it comes to SNL, in my mind the emphasis of the musical guest should be a live performance.
Old 01-18-22, 12:49 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 9,974
Received 515 Likes on 388 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Wanted to address this, since it was a direct response to my comments, and a lot of interesting points are raised.

One correction though, I'm not "astonished" that pop acts feature choreography, that's something I'm keenly aware of. My astonishment is that fans of that kind of presentation don't see the spontaneous performance like Bleachers and immediately become fans of that kind of show instead. Yes, it's more than slightly naive to think they would, I think we all like one thing or another and wonder why it's not the most popular thing in the world.

The reason Dooku's post gave me such pause is that I do like Broadway shows with tight choreography and would be very disappointed if the actors came out and just "did their own thing" rather than follow the steps (although I've been to a few plays where the actors had latitude to improvise, like pulling an audience member at random on stage to sing to them, or coming off stage to dance with an audience member, and I really enjoyed that "off-script" moment)

I guess the comparison I'd make is that if I went to a Lakers game and they started doing Harlem Globetrotters-like gags, I'd be roundly disappointed. Just as I'd be disappointed if I went to a "serious" Harlem Globetrotters vs. Washington Generals game. There's time I want reality, and time I want scripted. To me, a "musical artist" performing a song should be more of the former, whereas a play or dance performance should be the latter. And when it comes to SNL, in my mind the emphasis of the musical guest should be a live performance.
I used the word "astonished" because you repeatedly post about this, and (to me) the tone of your posts is akin to asking, "Why are they doing this?" Even though, they have been doing it for decades.

I guess the only solution to your continued dissatisfaction is to adjust your expectations for what a live performance on SNL entails. It's a stage presentation, a show. Your own comparison is telling. When you go to see the Lakers, you want to see the Lakers do what they do as professional athletes. When you go to see the Globetrotters, you want to see their show.
When musical artists appear on SNL, those five minutes are their showcase to show themselves off. Some just stand there and sing and play. Some do it naked. Some dance around and are obviously being aided by background tracks. Some show up with elaborate stage shows and effects. It's whatever they do, whether they are LeBron James or Meadowlark Lemon.
Ashlee Simpson was 17 years ago. If SNL wanted to impose some rules on the "reality" of the acts, it would have happened a long time ago.
Interestingly (or not) I know a 70 year old man who's been watching SNL since it premiered (It's not me, I'm not that old) who told me that Billie Eilish was his favorite music performer ever on SNL.

Also, I will add that part of my interest in Paff's post this week was that I honestly thought of Paff when Bleachers come on this week. I thought, "Well, that guy at DVD Talk will like this."
Old 01-18-22, 01:14 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10,366
Received 569 Likes on 442 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Ashlee Simpson was 17 years ago. If SNL wanted to impose some rules on the "reality" of the acts, it would have happened a long time ago.
Actually, there used to be such a rule. Lip synching on SNL was not allowed. Ashlee Simpson was the proof that the rule had finally been relaxed. Musical performance on most TV variety shows were almost always lip-synched, rather than the difficulties of setting up and mixing a live band. That was part of breaking with tradition SNL wanted to set, that the stuff you saw in studio on SNL was truly "live".

I remember when The Spice Girls were on, they were ridiculed as they had 5 members who sang and played no instruments, and they still needed backup singers due to SNL's policy. And if you see Britney Spears' first SNL performance, you can see her fumbling and adjusting the wireless mic rig constantly, as she wasn't used to having to actually sing at her performances.

I guess it was those issues that led to SNL relaxing their rules when it comes to pop acts.

But hey, I'm just keeping up a Paff family tradition, as I remember watching SNL with my dad back in the 80s and he was criticizing the musical performances for different reasons. Like when George Thorogood was on, my dad had to point out that he was only playing the same minor riff over and over again (Bad to the Bone). I can only imagine what he would have said when SNL musical guests no longer had to actually perform the music at all.
Old 01-18-22, 01:36 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 43,253
Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

And just think what would have happened if The Donnas didn't cancel and Ashlee Simpsons never made it to air. Or maybe don't, that seems like a waste of time.

But something did fall off from the times when The Beastie Boys were jokingly hijacked by Elvis Costello during the 25th anniversary performance and the early 2000s onward.
Old 01-18-22, 01:56 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mickey65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,414
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

For the last couple of seasons, its like Weekend Update is the only good part of the show anymore...
Old 01-18-22, 03:47 PM
  #36  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 38,671
Likes: 0
Received 2,588 Likes on 1,773 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Old 01-18-22, 04:55 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 264
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Ariana Debose was a great host. Really enjoyed her even in the weaker sketches. She is talented.
I thought she was great too. I loved the episode. I still love SNL and the current cast.
Old 01-18-22, 08:09 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 9,974
Received 515 Likes on 388 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Actually, there used to be such a rule. Lip synching on SNL was not allowed. Ashlee Simpson was the proof that the rule had finally been relaxed. Musical performance on most TV variety shows were almost always lip-synched, rather than the difficulties of setting up and mixing a live band. That was part of breaking with tradition SNL wanted to set, that the stuff you saw in studio on SNL was truly "live".

I remember when The Spice Girls were on, they were ridiculed as they had 5 members who sang and played no instruments, and they still needed backup singers due to SNL's policy. And if you see Britney Spears' first SNL performance, you can see her fumbling and adjusting the wireless mic rig constantly, as she wasn't used to having to actually sing at her performances.
Well, I'm not going to get into a debate about how much "enhancement with backing vocal tracks" turns a performance into lip synching because I don't know that much about. But I do know that is SOP for many performers nowadays, so that's what SNL presents.
It doesn't seem to bother NBC or Lorne Michaels, the studio audience, or the viewing audience. Personally, I usually watch SNL on Sundays on Hulu and more often than not, I just FF thru the music acts, no matter who they are.
Old 01-19-22, 12:08 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 60,795
Received 2,865 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Interesting. I just saw Katy Perry a week ago because she just started a residency in the new Resorts World in Las Vegas. It's a really theatrical show with elaborate sets. I bet she uses the same presentation for her two performances on SNL

Old 01-19-22, 01:02 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,878
Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

It would seem hard to ship that stuff from Vegas to NY. Plus the stage at SNL is relatively small.
Old 01-19-22, 09:28 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jpcamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,870
Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by windom View Post
It would seem hard to ship that stuff from Vegas to NY. Plus the stage at SNL is relatively small.
she is a touring artist used to going from state to state for shows (pre-pandemic )
Old 01-19-22, 09:54 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 43,253
Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

As long as she has dancing sharks and skimpy outfits, we good.
Old 01-19-22, 10:04 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 18,044
Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Willem Dafoe hosting that should be fun.

He is one of my favorite actors.
Old 01-19-22, 12:17 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 9,974
Received 515 Likes on 388 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
As long as she has dancing sharks and skimpy outfits, we good.
One of SNL's more mamm-orable sketches


This outfit was a good one, too.



Old 01-19-22, 01:02 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10,366
Received 569 Likes on 442 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Now THAT'S some pre-planned choreography I can get behind!

Old 01-19-22, 02:12 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,294
Likes: 0
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

I'm surprised so many of you liked this episode. Outside of the cold open, I thought it was shit.
Old 01-21-22, 04:25 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 18,044
Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Bill Hader has been secretly dating Anna Kendrick after breaking up with Rachel Bilson


Maybe he has more game than Pete Davidson?










Old 01-21-22, 10:45 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10,366
Received 569 Likes on 442 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Ironically, both Bilson and Kendrick thought they were actually dating Lindsay Buckingham
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Count Dooku (01-21-22), tommyp007 (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 11:56 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10,366
Received 569 Likes on 442 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

It's too bad that for the reruns NBC airs after the actual show, they don't include the 80's Doumejian/Ebersole era. Scratch that, it's just too bad they don't show the Ebersole era. As was mentioned when they didn't re-air the John Madden episode after his passing last month. Cuz this would be a great time to show the Tim Curry/Meat Loaf episode, with Tim and Meat's One Stop Rocky Horror Shop.
Old 01-21-22, 12:02 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 60,795
Received 2,865 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Re: SNL 01/15/22 (S47E10) — H: Ariana DeBose - MG: Bleachers

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
It's too bad that for the reruns NBC airs after the actual show, they don't include the 80's Doumejian/Ebersole era. Scratch that, it's just too bad they don't show the Ebersole era. As was mentioned when they didn't re-air the John Madden episode after his passing last month. Cuz this would be a great time to show the Tim Curry/Meat Loaf episode, with Tim and Meat's One Stop Rocky Horror Shop.
Thankfully it's available on Peacock (at least 38 minutes of it is). S7, E7. I will have to check it out.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.