Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Justified: City Primeval -- limited series coming to FX -- Olyphant to return

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Justified: City Primeval -- limited series coming to FX -- Olyphant to return

Old 01-14-22, 11:31 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Justified: City Primeval -- limited series coming to FX -- Olyphant to return

Hell yes
Old 01-14-22, 12:06 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: Justified: City Primeval -- limited series coming to FX -- Olyphant to return

The show returns to Givens’ story eight years after he’s left Kentucky and now is based in Miami, balancing life as a marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl. A chance encounter on a Florida highway sends him to Detroit and he crosses paths with Clement Mansell, aka The Oklahoma Wildman, a violent sociopath who’s already slipped through the fingers of Detroit’s finest once and wants to do so again.
Old 01-14-22, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Hot damn I love me some Raylan Givens. I'm all for more - this is great news!
Old 01-14-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Looking forward to this and there better be some good jokes about Mexicans in this series or I'll be one pissed off Mexican.

Still one of my favorites

The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (02-24-22)
Old 01-14-22, 12:31 PM

Need a Carla Gugino / Karen appearance.
B.A. (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Spoiler:
8 episodes.. start date is mid-March
Old 01-14-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

Oh my, my, oh hell yes!!! This may be some of the best news of 2022!!!
Old 01-14-22, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

A revival of “Justified” has been ordered to series at FX, with Timothy Olyphant set to reprise the role of U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens.

Variety exclusively reported that the project was in the works in March 2021. The new iteration of the drama series is inspired by the Elmore Leonard novel “City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit.” Leonard created the character of Givens, who appeared in several of the author’s novels and the novella “Fire in the Hole,” the latter of which served as the basis for “Justified.”

Officially titled “Justified: City Primeval,” the new show picks up with Givens eight years after he left Kentucky behind. He now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl. His hair is grayer, his hat is dirtier, and the road in front of him is suddenly a lot shorter than the road behind. A chance encounter on a desolate Florida highway sends him to Detroit. There he crosses paths with Clement Mansell, aka The Oklahoma Wildman, a violent, sociopathic desperado who’s already slipped through the fingers of Detroit’s finest once and aims to do so again. Mansell’s lawyer, formidable Motor City native Carolyn Wilder, has every intention of representing her client, even as she finds herself caught in between cop and criminal, with her own game afoot as well.
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jus...nt-1235154475/
OldBoy (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Need a Carla Gugino / Karen appearance.
fuck yes.
Old 01-14-22, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts
Justified revival ordered to series!!!

"‘Justified’ Revival Set at FX With Timothy Olyphant Returning – Variety" https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jus...235154475/amp/

I had no idea this was happening. I suppose I should rewatch the series with not much else to do right now. Not much details but this is awesome news.
Old 01-14-22, 05:58 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

loved this show, but someone please remind me how it ended.
Old 01-14-22, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Raylan moved to Florida, Boyd is in prison
TGM (01-14-22)
Old 02-24-22, 07:39 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Deadline hears that Quentin Tarantino is in early talks to direct one or two episodes of Justified: City Primeval, the FX limited series that reunites Timothy Olyphant with his six-gun as U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens. No one was commenting.
https://deadline.com/2022/02/quentin...f320da52a22c48
Old 02-24-22, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Wow. Time for a Michael Keaton cameo?
Old 02-25-22, 10:43 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

No thanks. I’ve seen enough of Olyphants feet when he wears flip flops when he showed up on Conan.

Already had one hack ruin TBOBF, don’t need another to ruin this show.
Old 02-25-22, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Filming hasn't even begun? Don't expect this before 2023
Old 02-25-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Filming hasn't even begun? Don't expect this before 2023
Probably.
Spoiler:
Start date has moved from mid-March to May 2.
Old 02-25-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 397 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy
No thanks. I’ve seen enough of Olyphants feet when he wears flip flops when he showed up on Conan.

Already had one hack ruin TBOBF, don’t need another to ruin this show.
Boba Fett wasn't ruined by a director. Only Ricky Gervais can make an extra the lead of a show and get away with it. Calling Tarantino a hack...
Old 02-25-22, 03:51 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

HOT DAMN! Time for some more coal digging and beer drinking together!
Old 12-20-22, 10:22 AM

A lot has changed in the seven years since Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) had his final showdown and left Harlan behind in the Justified series finale. And when the fan-favorite lawman returns in FX's highly anticipated new revival series, Justified: City Primeval, not only is he a new man, he's also brought to a new city and faces a new formidable opponent, one more challenging than his former foe Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins).

All that "new" may be jarring for fans of the original run, but it's what excited the showrunners about returning to the world of Justified. "We're glad we could do this," Michael Dinner tells EW.

"It's very, very new. Not quite the old Justified," Dave Andron adds. "Only people who read the book might have an idea, but I think people who haven't, who just expect the old thing, are going to be very surprised."

The revival picks up eight years after Givens left his hometown behind. He now resides in Miami, balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl (played by Olyphant's real-life daughter, Vivian). But a chance encounter will send Givens to Detroit, where he crosses paths with a violent, sociopathic desperado who's already slipped through the fingers of Detroit's finest once and aims to do so again, and his powerful lawyer. These three characters set out on a collision course in classic Elmore Leonard fashion, to see who makes it out of the City Primeval alive.

Below, the two showrunners dive deep on what fans can expect from the new revival series.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Why did you want to return to this world with a new Justified series after the original run ended so perfectly?

DAVE ANDRON: Well, we wanted to make sure we f---ed it up. We ended it so well. Why would we leave well enough alone?

MICHAEL DINNER: We thought we ended it well, and we thought we were done. We thought we rode it into the sunset, and some series, you don't get to do that — they pull a plug and you don't get to feel a sense of completion and you regret the fact that you couldn't end it the right way. We thought we did. We never intended to go back into the waters. But there was this book, City Primeval, which is kind of a crown jewel of Elmore Leonard's work. It was his first Detroit crime novel and that kicked off his becoming the preeminent writer of American crime fiction.

A lot of people had wanted to make this book before. It almost got made by [Sam] Peckinpah years ago as a movie, and [Quentin] Tarantino wanted to make it as a movie, and a lot of people wanted to play with it in television, streaming or cable. We had a great experience doing Justified, and some years later Elmore's son had approached me about doing it as its own thing. I'd always loved the book, we always referenced it when we were in the writers' room on the original series, and so that was the intention: It was going to be its own thing.

And then one day the phone rang and it was Tim Olyphant who said, "I've been sitting on the set with Quentin, and we were talking about this book, City Primeval. We thought it would make a great year of Justified." So we started kicking around the idea, and FX was into it. It was very complicated to put together because the rights situation was a little murky — part of the rights belonged to the estate, part belonged to MGM which was going to make this movie several times, and it took a while to get it going, but then we did.

We had a great time for seven years on this show, and so the real intention was what if we did a long movie, a limited series, that's not really trying to go back for the past with Justified, but to do a mashup between this book and this character that we loved, and not to revisit the past as much as we looked at this character as if he had three chapters in his life, and this is the second chapter. We catapulted him into this story, and Dave and I like to say that the road in front of him is a lot shorter than the road behind. He's at a state in his life where he is this walking anachronism, and can this guy survive in a world that's not the same world that he's used to? And the world's changed politically, sociologically, and he's changed as a man, and that's where we find him.

ANDRON: As Dinner said, it is a different world, especially in the world of law enforcement, than when we ended the show. In going back to it, we had this great piece of source material a lot of people were excited about. We all missed Elmore's world and the tone, but nobody really wanted to take a victory lap and just do it to get the band back together. There is an opportunity to bring Raylan into the present moment and say something a little different about his character and see if ... Elmore's characters only move a nudge, but can we move him a little more, one more nudge into the present moment? And when we figured out how to do that, we decided this is an idea worth doing.

How is this new series going to compare to the original?

DINNER: The cool thing about it is that tonally, it feels like the show we did, but it also feels very different. The great thing about doing Elmore's stuff is that we say that you don't see the joke coming, you don't see the violence coming, and you don't see the emotion coming sometimes, and everything kind of sneaks up on you. It's surprising. To me, it feels like a grown-up version of what we did. It feels both familiar and different, and [has] all these new characters who feel of this universe.

Tell me more about how you moved this character and series into the present moment, because as you said, the way in which we view law enforcement in entertainment has changed so drastically. Since the original run ended seven years ago, how did you adjust the tone and characters to fit more into today's society?

ANDRON: The biggest thing [is] it's not so much that the world and law enforcement are different, it's just that the public is now aware of what's been going on for a long time. Raylan has always had a pretty specific code. There was a lot of gun violence in the show, but Raylan lived by a certain code and did things the right way. We wanted to bring him into the moment where he maybe had a little bit more of an understanding of what he was part of and the bigger picture in that way, paying a little more tribute to the world we live in and being aware of it.

DINNER: Also, Elmore created these characters that it wasn't what they were, it was who they are. They were pretty fleshed-out characters, even the antagonists. It's always about who the characters are at the core. When our characters move an inch, that's a lot in Elmore's world. So certainly, as Dave said, there's more awareness. It's not so much that the world has changed, but we're more aware of it now.

The original run's success was so dependent on Raylan and Boyd's dynamic and their really complex relationship, so are we going to see Boyd again? If not, who is going to take his place in this series?

ANDRON: Those are big bad guy shoes to fill. This story is really going to be about Raylan and his demons and his past and trying to move forward at this point in his life. So we had to create a new foil for him and somebody who's still a little bit of a mirror, but also a big obstacle. Thankfully we had a template of a character from Elmore that we got to start with. The book was written in the late '70s, published in the '80s, so we had to bring that character into the present. But it was a really daunting thing, coming up with who's this really great bad guy? And we were lucky enough to have Boyd Holbrook come on and play Clement Mansell, who is, for those who really love Elmore's crime fiction, one of his better bad guys, maybe his baddest bad guy.

DINNER: He's a great foil, in some ways more dangerous. Boyd Crowder and Raylan Givens were cut from the same cloth: They grew up mining coal together, so there's a familiarity and they understand each other. That's what the show was about. With this guy, Clement Mansell, he's so unpredictable, and at a time when Raylan himself is seven, eight years older, so it's not only who he is physically, but also because he's so unpredictable ... Boyd Crowder had kind of an amoral code, but he still had a code. I'm not sure that Clement Mansell, the bad guy in this, does at all. And that makes him really dangerous. It's a pretty formidable antagonist for our protagonist.

Are we going to see any other familiar faces in this series?

ANDRON: Some old characters do show up, but that's one of those things the audience is going to have to get their head around: It is a pretty new cast. It's a new group of cops that are around him. It's cops in Detroit, not marshals in Kentucky, and it really is a standalone Raylan story, just with a few old friends sprinkled throughout.

DINNER: This story's kind of a three-hander. It's about Raylan, Clement Mansell, and the third character is this woman defense attorney, Carolyn Wilder, who in some ways is kind of locked at the wrists and ankles, not by her doing, to Clement Mansell. But then there's a fourth character, which is the city of Detroit. Raylan's a little bit of a fish out of water in a place that he doesn't understand as well as he understood where he grew up in Kentucky, or Miami where he lives. So that's the core of this story, and then anybody else that appears in it is just organic to the storytelling itself.

ANDRON: I thought you were going to say the fourth character was Raylan's daughter, who also happens to be Tim Olyphant's daughter in real life, which is pretty fun.

How did he end up getting his real daughter to play his onscreen daughter? Was that always the plan?

ANDRON: No. In fact, we were horrified when Tim was like, "I'm going to put my daughter on tape for the role of my daughter." And we were like, "This is a no-win. This is brutal. If it's not good, what are we going to do?" And she was great. They had a ball doing it, and it was a lot of fun. It took about eight minutes on set for her to say, "Dad, stop. Don't give me notes. Don't tell me what to do."

DINNER: They brought their own baggage to it, which was good, and it was interesting to watch. She would take little polls of who was the crew's favorite Olyphant on the set.

Who won?

DINNER: That's classified.

Justified: City Primeval is slated to premiere summer 2023 on FX.
https://ew.com/tv/justified-city-pri...pEWCinC_AK1tjc

Last edited by dex14; 12-20-22 at 10:27 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by dex14:
bunkaroo (12-20-22), Meathead (12-20-22), spainlinx0 (12-20-22), story (12-20-22)
Old 12-20-22, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 300 Likes on 203 Posts

Loved the original series. Looking forward to seeing what they do here.
Old 12-21-22, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Apparently this spawned in part from Olyphant conversing with Tarantino: https://www.avclub.com/we-can-thank-...son-1849917071
Old 12-21-22, 05:14 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

The only questions I have are why am I not watching this now and why hasn't this always existed?
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
B.A. (12-22-22), OldBoy (12-21-22)
Old 12-21-22, 05:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

More Raylan is fine by me. Loved the show!
The following 2 users liked this post by OldBoy:
B.A. (12-22-22), TGM (12-21-22)
Old 12-22-22, 01:18 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
More Raylan is fine by me. Loved the show!
Start up your Deadwood viewing to hold you over

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.