Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Real Steel series in development at Disney+

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-13-22, 06:34 PM

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,791 Posts

A “Real Steel” series adaptation is in the early stages of development at Disney Plus, Variety has learned.

The potential series would be based on the 2011 film of the same name, which was itself based on the short story “Steel” by Richard Matheson.

The film took place in the not too distant future in which human boxers have been replaced by giant fighting robots. Hugh Jackman starred as a former boxer who, along with his estranged son, fixes up an old robot they find in a junkyard and turns it into a champion.

As the project is still in the very early stages, no writer is yet attached. That means it is not yet clear if the show would adhere to the events of the original film or take a different direction altogether with new characters.

Shawn Levy, who directed the “Real Steel” film, will executive produce the series via 21 Laps. Robert Zemeckis and Jack Rapke of Compari Entertainment also executive produce, as does Jacqueline Levine, and Susan Montford and Don Murphy of Angry Films. The Disney Branded Television series will be produced by 20th Television.

Along with Jackman, the “Real Steel” film starred Dakota Goyo, Evangeline Lilly, Anthony Mackie, Olga Fonda, Karl Yune, and several more. Despite receiving mixed reviews from critics, the film went on to gross just shy of $300 million worldwide against a reported budget of $110 million. It also received an Academy Award nomination for best visual effects.
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/rea...us-1235148275/
Old 01-13-22, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
Re: Real Steel series in development at Disney+

Not surprising. Can they get Jackman?
Old 01-13-22, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Not surprising. Can they get Jackman?
If Shawn Levy is working on then probably.
Old 01-13-22, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,515 Likes on 989 Posts

The movie has one of the most obnoxious depictions of a child character in a movie that I’ve ever seen. If the series fixes that, I might watch. Might…
Old 01-15-22, 05:56 PM

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I don't see Jackman reprising the role. I hardly believe they got him for the movie.
Old 01-15-22, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The show can really be about anyone involved in robot fighting set in that world, or even the son 10yrs later, which would make him in his early 20s.
Old 01-15-22, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Depending on what exactly this series is about or if it even takes place in the same universe, we simply don't know if it makes sense to bring back Jackman. If anything if it's a continuation, then maybe he'll guest star in 1 episode. I don't see Jackman committing to a TV series. But, we simply don't know right now.
Old 01-16-22, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Depending on what exactly this series is about or if it even takes place in the same universe, we simply don't know if it makes sense to bring back Jackman. If anything if it's a continuation, then maybe he'll guest star in 1 episode. I don't see Jackman committing to a TV series. But, we simply don't know right now.
Disney certainly has the money to cast Jackman, streaming has pretty much changed everything.
Old 01-16-22, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Disney certainly has the money to cast Jackman, streaming has pretty much changed everything.
Money isn't the problem, but if you cast Hugh Jackman in a TV series, you don't revive Reel Steal, Van Helsing or Swordfish. You cast him as Wolverine, if you want to throw money at him. The concept of Real Steel lends itself to an all new cast. They didn't cast Tom Hanks for Hooch either.
Jackman in a TV show isn't something I would dismiss, at least not in a limited series, but Jackman as a regular in a Real Steel show is something that won't happen in a million years.

Last edited by Runaway; 01-16-22 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-16-22, 06:32 AM

There was an oral history done by EW with Shawn Levy, Jackman, Lilly, Mackie, and Goyo for the 10 year anniversary only a few months ago. It sounds like those involved would like to return, if they had an opportunity:
https://ew.com/movies/real-steel-ora...nthony-mackie/

And this was Levy during press for Free Guy:
I was looking at your IMDb page earlier today and I got excited because it says Real Steel 2 is confirmed, but I think that’s wrong. Can you confirm the status of that movie?
There is no Real Steel 2 currently greenlit or in pre-production somewhere. So that is the answer to that. But it has been on my mind and in conversation a lot lately, maybe because of the fact that when Netflix started streaming it during the lockdown, it became one of their top trending and most viewed titles, which led to Hugh and I talking again about, “Wow, what is this? This love for Real Steel?” And kind of this realization that, “Well wait, we love it that much too. We've always loved it that much too.”

So it's one of those, never say never. And even though it feels like the clock has run out on that window of opportunity. It feels like that fan love and that audience hasn't gone away. So who knows?
Old 01-16-22, 11:46 AM

I can see Lewy exec producing the show, directing some episodes even and I can see Hugh Jackman show up like he did on his show Viva Laughlin or like Bradley Cooper in Limitless, but to use a German expression: I'll eat a broom if Hugh Jackman leads a Real Steel series.
Old 01-16-22, 11:57 AM

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Make it a reality show, where people build robots that fight each other. Like Battlebots, but with humanoid robots
Old 01-16-22, 12:01 PM

August 2021:
In a recent interview with ComicBook, Levy said that he wants to reunite Jackman and Reynolds for a Real Steel sequel. According to Levy, a Real Steel 2 is something he's always discussed with Jackman, and it will be interesting if he could get Reynolds to star in it as well. Levy's full quote can be read below:

Well, I'll say this, Hugh and I definitely are feeling, we've never stopped feeling the love for Real Steel, and it's almost like the volume has been increasing. Hugh and I were together literally last week talking about that. So I would never say never on that, a sequel for Real Steal. Additionally, I'm friends with Hugh. I'm friends with Ryan. I will get them together. Whether it's in Real Steel or another movie, I will direct those two amazing guys and dear friends in a movie together.
Old 01-16-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
Make it a reality show, where people build robots that fight each other. Like Battlebots, but with humanoid robots

It's time- real life mecha competition.
Old 01-16-22, 12:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
There was this...

Old 01-16-22, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,515 Likes on 989 Posts

An Oral History of Real Steel? Never thought I’d see that.

I look forward to the 10 year anniversary retrospective Oral History of Tower Heist

Did Real Steel become a classic and I missed it?
Old 01-16-22, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
An Oral History of Real Steel? Never thought I’d see that.

I look forward to the 10 year anniversary retrospective Oral History of Tower Heist

Did Real Steel become a classic and I missed it?
It got really popular on Netflix in 2020, apparently.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (01-16-22)
Old 01-17-22, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 453 Likes on 275 Posts

Happy for those who are into this, but seems like a waste of time to me.
Old 01-17-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Happy for those who are into this, but seems like a waste of time to me.
I thought it was a mildly entertaining throwback to mid 80's nonsense like Over the Top. No reason whatsoever for a sequel, let alone a series.

Old 01-17-22, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

Received 632 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Money isn't the problem, but if you cast Hugh Jackman in a TV series, you don't revive Reel Steal, Van Helsing or Swordfish. You cast him as Wolverine, if you want to throw money at him. The concept of Real Steel lends itself to an all new cast.
Zero desire to see this show. Movie was barely serviceable. But this comment made me laugh. Like people are clamoring for more Van Helsing…..and Swordfish?! lol
Old 01-17-22, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I thought it was a mildly entertaining throwback to mid 80's nonsense like Over the Top. No reason whatsoever for a sequel, let alone a series.
No reason for a sequel to The Karate Kid either...