Re: Quantum Leap (NBC) -- sequel series -- premieres 9/19/22

I see why Bakula passed on this.
Old 09-20-22, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I see why Bakula passed on this.
I liked how they used a generic headshot of Bakula as a hologram when she was talking about Sam.
The following users liked this post:
stingermck (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

This was okay. I like the lead and didnít dislike the new Al. However,
  • They broke a lot of the original rules without even stating they were rules.
  • So much of what Addison told him was pure exposition.
  • There was entirely too much present time after Ben jumped.
  • The plot with Alís daughter could be intriguing, but will have to see how it plays out.

I agree they need more time for Ben to be by himself and figure things out. Also, more than anything Al helped serve as a counsel to Sam. More of them they werenít sure why Sam was there and Al had to talk him through staying calm to figure things out.

Also interesting this was not the first episode. Iíll be curious to see how they rework that and split into the narrative. Also interesting Addison was recruited to be a jumper, like some
special agent.

Iíll keep watching buy my expectations have bee tempered.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (09-21-22)
Old 09-21-22, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

NBCís Quantum Leap didnít jump out in the ratings Monday, instead pulling in so-so numbers for its debut.

Quantum Leap, a revival/sequel to the 1989-93 sci-fi series, opened with 3.35 million viewers and a 0.48 rating among adults 18-49 coming out of The Voice (6.12 million, 0.67). The opening for Quantum Leap is slightly behind that of Ordinary Joe (3.9 million, 0.52) in the same spot in 2021. Quantum Leap did a better job, however, of holding The Voiceís audience, retaining about 72 percent of the 18-49 rating for its lead-in versus less than half for Average Joe last year
Old 09-21-22, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh, this fits into all modern shows that have a huge team of a dozen people.
Old 09-22-22, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I thought the first episode was okay. It did feel small and it really looked like it was shot on a studio lot vs actual locations. I’ll support this because there aren’t many Primetime shows with an Asian American as the lead. The material they gave Raymond Lee though I felt lacked some depth. I also felt Ben and Addison didn’t really have great chemistry to start. I didn’t really feel like these characters were in love.

I wasn’t a huge watcher of the original series. I watched an episode here and there. So I don’t have the frame of reference of a hardcore fan of the original.

By the way, I noticed Donald Bellisario was credited as an EP and created by. But he hasn’t worked in many years since he got fired from NCIS. He must have an iron clad contract where he must get the credits and get paid for IPs he created or developed.
Old 09-22-22, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 310 Posts

Hope this is a success or a moderate success and NBC thinks twice about cutting the 10pm slot from their programming
Old 09-22-22, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 619 Likes on 382 Posts

I was hoping for much better. If it doesn't improve after a couple more episodes, I'm out.
Old 09-27-22, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought episode 2 was okay, perhaps a bit stronger than episode 1. The future scenes worked a little better, although the private eye and server fire was a bit eye rolling. However, the theme of working as a group was a good angle.

I will say I donít get the sense of super top secret project though. Just seems like some IT start up.

I liked the parallel between Benís (as David) situation and Addisonís present day situation. That said, no where near enough time spent on on Benís story or with him trying to figure that out.
Old 09-27-22, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 871 Likes on 609 Posts

Yeah it was ok. This is very average. Some of the acting is cringe worthy.
Old 09-29-22, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I thought the 2nd episode was a little better than the 1st. The space story about saving that astronaut was interesting. It was nice to see Carly Pope guest star, I do like Raymond Lee. I think he does have some charm as Ben. I am not crazy about his love interest and guide Addison. I think they lack chemistry. And go figure, she's not a very experienced actress, this is her 1st big role.

And I didn't notice this in the pilot, but Ernie Hudson's name is "Magic"?

I know most of you probably won't stick with this as network TV sci-fi is pretty hit and miss with this forum. I want to try to continue to support this and hope it gets better as there aren't too many shows with Asian American leads.

Old 09-30-22, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Hudson is playing the same character Sam leapt into in The Leap Home episodes of the original series. Herbert ďMagicĒ Williams is the one who continues the Quantum Leap project via the US military.
Old 09-30-22, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I thought the 2nd episode was a little better than the 1st. The space story about saving that astronaut was interesting. It was nice to see Carly Pope guest star, I do like Raymond Lee. I think he does have some charm as Ben. I am not crazy about his love interest and guide Addison. I think they lack chemistry. And go figure, she's not a very experienced actress, this is her 1st big role.

I know most of you probably won't stick with this as network TV sci-fi is pretty hit and miss with this forum. I want to try to continue to support this and hope it gets better as there aren't too many shows with Asian American leads.
During this episodes, Ben had a few scenes with the female astronaut. I actually thought to myself she would have been a better Addison. The actress cast isnít bad, but you can tell sheís green. Many of her scenes feel stiff.

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
Hudson is playing the same character Sam leapt into in The Leap Home episodes of the original series. Herbert ďMagicĒ Williams is the one who continues the Quantum Leap project via the US military.
Correct. What I canít tell is if his character knows Sam leapt into him. Maybe logs, but I wonder if those are sealed.
Old 09-30-22, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 178 Likes on 152 Posts

I felt the 2nd episode was much more enjoyable than the first. Carly Pope played the female astronaut and has even been in the Iron Man films, big fan of hers. I did not watch the following show, but I believe she was on the beloved CW show Popular. If eps continue to be as okay as the 2nd one I shall continue to watch.
Old 09-30-22, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Correct. What I canít tell is if his character knows Sam leapt into him. Maybe logs, but I wonder if those are sealed.
I wonder about that too. Is the backstory of Magic something the audience is already supposed to know or is it going to end up being a big reveal at some point in this new series?

It seems like kind of an obscure reference if the audience is already supposed to know.

Iím still not sure about this new series. The complaints I had about the first episode are still present. Addison is around Ben way too much. He needs more time to experience his leap by himself, the side story in present day disrupts the dramatic flow of the time travel story. And now the team in the present can watch video of Ben time traveling?! The fuckÖ?!
Old 09-30-22, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

The problem is that this show is charmless. We are barely with Ben at all, so we don't really get to bond with him or feel what he's feeling. They spend way too much time in the present on this awful NCIS-reject plot. I don't care why Ben went into the Quantum Leap accelerator. What I care about is whose life he's in and how he needs to help them. They don't even show the leaping effect. They just zoom out of his eye like every other TV show has done a million other times.