Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Murderville (Netflix) S: Arnett

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Re: Murderville (Netflix) S: Arnett

The Kumail episode was bad, IMO. Seemed like he didn't want to do any of the things the show required.
Old 02-16-22, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
The Kumail episode was bad, IMO. Seemed like he didn't want to do any of the things the show required.
That was the fun of it. Will was pushing him and making it awkward.
Old 02-16-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I prefer guests like Conan who jump in the deep end of what they're doing.

Why they hell wouldn't he just give a name for his "HS sweetheart"?
Old 02-16-22, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Yea, I thought not giving up the name was weird. Everyone is expecting a joke name. Just give the punchline.

That's why the Whose Line cast would probably be better for this series. They can pick up on the comedic timing perfectly.

Old 02-16-22, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Eh, I prefer guests like Conan who jump in the deep end of what they're doing.

Why they hell wouldn't he just give a name for his "HS sweetheart"?
I just watched John Oliver name and joke about a girl he had a crush on when he was a little boy on Colbert. It certainly seems all fun and benign, but what if this person doesn't want her name bandied about on TV.

It never occurred to me that he would try to make up a funny name, and I don't think that occurred to him either, for whatever reason. It completely came off to me like him responding, I'm not going to tell you stuff about my personal life for the sake of this freak show. And that actually became a much funnier joke than any "funny" name. Plus, whoever the girl was, she had a Pakistani name, and Kumail may have been sensitive about Arnett trying to make jokes about a "funny-sounding" foreign name. Maybe the best joke in the show was him challenging Will to do a Pakistani accent and not sound racist.
Old 02-16-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Yea, I thought not giving up the name was weird. Everyone is expecting a joke name. Just give the punchline.

That's why the Whose Line cast would probably be better for this series. They can pick up on the comedic timing perfectly.
I don't think the premise of the show is for the guest stars to come on and turn it into an episode of Brooklyn 99. They are supposed to play it kinda straight while Arnett tries to derail them. I do agree about guest stars with comedy backgrounds, but no one should come in with the attitude of "You want this to be funny, watch me make this funny."
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (02-17-22)
Old 02-16-22, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I just watched John Oliver name and joke about a girl he had a crush on when he was a little boy on Colbert. It certainly seems all fun and benign, but what if this person doesn't want her name bandied about on TV.

It never occurred to me that he would try to make up a funny name, and I don't think that occurred to him either, for whatever reason. It completely came off to me like him responding, I'm not going to tell you stuff about my personal life for the sake of this freak show. And that actually became a much funnier joke than any "funny" name. Plus, whoever the girl was, she had a Pakistani name, and Kumail may have been sensitive about Arnett trying to make jokes about a "funny-sounding" foreign name. Maybe the best joke in the show was him challenging Will to do a Pakistani accent and not sound racist.
I don't think anyone expected him to give a real name based on his past. Just make something up.

Totally agree on the bolded part. That was the only highlight of his episode. He couldn't improv on the spot very well but that was an excellent job swapping roles and making Arnett break his script.
Old 02-16-22, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought it was brilliant how Will got out of not sounding racist! That bit had me laughing so much.
I just finished the last three today. I actually liked the Sharon Stone one, she was taking it so seriously but I thought it was pretty funny, and I loved that she got it wrong.
Old 02-16-22, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think anyone expected him to give a real name based on his past. Just make something up.

Totally agree on the bolded part. That was the only highlight of his episode. He couldn't improv on the spot very well but that was an excellent job swapping roles and making Arnett break his script.
I understand that he's and actor and a comedian, but he was playing himself, and he was saying something true about his real life. I think the expectation that he would decide to instantly make the turn and make up a name that would be a punchline is odd. You might expect that in a scripted scene, but each actor is feeling this enterprise out for themselves as a they go. They are supposed to be themselves, thrust into an absurd fictional situation, roll with the punches but play it somewhat straight.

People talk about the guest actors doing improv, but if any really started improvising in the scenes, it would completely derail the show. If they started going off on substantive improvised bits, it could through off the scripted structure that the other characters are working with. Imagine if Conan had decided to improvise that he and the teacher were former lovers, or if Kumail had decided to improvise a complete backstory that he and one of Seattle's classmates had served in the military together. They are just supposed to go along with what Arnett throws at them, not start throwing stuff back. Conan got away with his jokes because he wasn't doing anything that was not 100% in character for Conan O'Brien.
emanon (02-16-22)
Old 02-17-22, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I love this show so much... if I had a complaint, it'd be that there are only 6 episodes. I hope it gets renewed because it's 30 minutes of a smile on my face.
Old 02-21-22, 08:33 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 02-21-22, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Old 02-22-22, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

C’mon, some of those Marshawn deleted jokes were gold! Whose idea was it to delete those????
Old 02-27-22, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I thought the Ken Jong ep was the weakest.
He didn’t do much other then laughing at everything.
Old 02-28-22, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I loved how so many of them got into showing their badge. Sharon Stone was the best at it - I’ve been laughing to myself about it for days. Just watch how excited she was to do it.

I am a sometimes-improv actor here in town and this would be incredibly fun to do. I was in a show once where there were two people and one had memorized the lines for one character in a scene from a random play and the other person had no idea what the play was. So no matter what the improviser said, the one who had memorized the script had to say their next line. It’s hilarious to watch and see this had the same kind of energy. Hopefully there is a Season 2!
MLBFan24 (02-28-22)
Old 02-28-22, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I thought the Ken Jong ep was the weakest.
He didn’t do much other then laughing at everything.
I agree. I liked the other 5 and enjoyed the variety in personalities, Ken just laughing the entire time was a miss for me.
Old 02-28-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 391 Likes on 280 Posts

Am I the only one that did not enjoy this? I did the first episode and with Connan and the one from the girl from Shits Creek and did not find either of the episodes very funny and I love Annie Murphy I think Arnette was a bit too over the top with some of his "acting" which took me out of the show too much.
Old 02-28-22, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Naw, a couple others quit it pretty quickly as well.
Old 02-28-22, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

I'm on the fence about watching any more. I watched the first three (Conan, Marshawn, and Kumail) a few weeks ago and I really only found the Conan one funny--and I'm a fan of Kumail so that was kind of disappointing.
Old 11-18-22, 02:05 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

WHO KILLED SANTA? A MURDERVILLE MURDER MYSTERY debuts December 15, only on Netflix.

Senior Detective Terry Seattle (Will Arnett) is back and this time, the case is critical. Along with his two celebrity guest stars, Jason Bateman and Maya Rudolph, he is on a mission to figure out...who killed Santa?

But here’s the catch: Bateman and Rudolph aren't being given the script. They have no idea what’s about to happen to them. Together, with Terry Seattle (and many surprises), they will have to improvise their way through the case.

Will they figure out… WHO KILLED SANTA?
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Deftones (11-18-22), MLBFan24 (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Nice!
Old 11-18-22, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Can’t wait!
Old 11-19-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Missed this since I dumped Netflix earlier this year. Since my daughter left their account signed in, I checked out the first episode last night. I can see the potential and I am kind of glad read this thread first. Otherwise, I would have checked out and wondered "How could this be so amateurish?" Knowing what was happening made the humor stick. Definitely something you need to "meta-view."

On a side tangent, I thought the MAMA leader had a cute edge to her. Googled and found out ... Mary Hollis Inboden! She was is The Righteous Gemstones as the cheating guy's wife/ex-wife, where I also thought she was cute. Guess I have a new semi-celebrity crush ...

Old 11-22-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 910 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Missed this since I dumped Netflix earlier this year. Since my daughter left their account signed in, I checked out the first episode last night. I can see the potential and I am kind of glad read this thread first. Otherwise, I would have checked out and wondered "How could this be so amateurish?" Knowing what was happening made the humor stick. Definitely something you need to "meta-view."

On a side tangent, I thought the MAMA leader had a cute edge to her. Googled and found out ... Mary Hollis Inboden! She was is The Righteous Gemstones as the cheating guy's wife/ex-wife, where I also thought she was cute. Guess I have a new semi-celebrity crush ...
Then you may also want to check her out in Kevin Can Fuck Himself.
Old 11-22-22, 03:18 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Brilliant news!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.