DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dwayne Hickman (Dobie Gillis) dead at 87 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/654566-dwayne-hickman-dobie-gillis-dead-87-a.html)

bacigalup 01-10-22 09:15 AM

Dwayne Hickman (Dobie Gillis) dead at 87

From nypost.com:

Actor and CBS executive Dwayne Hickman has died.

Hickman passed away in Los Angeles on Sunday following a battle with Parkinson’s disease, his family confirmed, according to the Los Angeles Times. He was 87.

The television actor was best known for his starring, titular role in “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis,” a teenage sitcom that aired from 1959 to 1963 on CBS. Coincidentally, the date of Hickman’s passing, Jan. 9, is the birthday of his longtime friend and co-star on the show, Bob Denver, who died in 2005 at age 70.

Before he became the “poster child of the baby boomer generation” as high school playboy Dobie Gillis, Hickman previously starred in “The Bob Cummings Show” between 1955 and 1959, his breakout television role in which he played Cummings’ nephew Chuck.

Hickman got his start as an extra at age 6, with a small part in director John Ford’s Oscar-winning film adaptation of “The Grapes of Wrath,” starring Henry Fonda and Jane Darwell. He also went on to act in small parts in “The Boy With Green Hair” and “The Lone Ranger” before landing a role alongside comedy legend Cummings.

Moving on from Dobie, Hickman would earn a bachelor’s degree in economics from Loyola Marymount University before returning to Hollywood. He went on to start in a number of other teenage roles, such as opposite Jane Fonda and Lee Marvin in “Cat Ballou.”

In the 1970s, Hickman put on his producer’s hat as a CBS network executive, and helped bring many now-beloved shows to life, including “Maude,” “M*A*S*H” and “Designing Women.” He’d shift yet again to the director’s seat for “Designing Women,” as well as “Head of the Class” and “Sister, Sister.”

Following two previous marriages, with actor Carol Christensen and singer Joanne Papile, Hickman spent nearly 30 years with “Designing Women” star Joan Roberts, from 1983 until her death in 2012.

The television pro also loved painting. His work has been shown in several galleries and other special selections over the years.

Hickman is survived by his and Roberts’ son, Albert Hickman, as well as elder son John Hickman, whom he shared with Christensen.

His family has asked all donations in his memory be sent to the Actors Fund and Dream Club United, a humanitarian organization founded by Albert Hickman.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/10/dwayne...ar-dead-at-87/

Count Dooku 01-10-22 03:07 PM

Re: Dwayne Hickman (Dobie Gillis) dead at 87

RIP. Sounds like he had a good life.

Hickman spent nearly 30 years with “Designing Women” star Joan Roberts, from 1983 until her death in 2012.
Nope.

Sonny Corinthos 01-10-22 03:52 PM

I used to watch reruns of Dobie Gillis on the Family Channel as a kid. RIP.

B5Erik 01-12-22 02:01 AM

Dobie Gillis is an underappreciated show from that era. Good stuff.

Hickman was great in that role, too.

GoldenJCJ 01-12-22 10:41 AM

Dobie Gillis was before my time but I have caught a few re-runs over the years and enjoyed it. Hickman and Bob Denver we’re fun to watch together.

Unfortunately, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis was just one of those shows that never got a ton or re-run airings over the years. Shows like I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver we’re all repeated ad nauseam in the 80s and 90s while Dobie Gillis was nowhere to be found.

Cardsfan111 01-13-22 11:56 AM

I feel like I watched Dobie Gillis some on "Nick at Nite" while growing up. I thought it was fun.

When I mentioned Hickman's passing a few days ago and the connection to that show, folks I talked to had never heard of it.

philo 02-06-22 03:42 PM

If you get the DECADES channel over-the-air or otherwise they're currently running a Dobie Gillis marathon all day.
Fond memories watching it on Nick-at-Nite in the early 90's.

I think I probably noticed this years ago but it was cool to read that the main characters were an influence on Scooby-Doo.
Dobie - Fred, Thalia - Daphne, Zelda - Velma, Maynard - Shaggy

I'd forgotten that both parents from the Patty Duke Show had roles in Dobie. William Schallert and Jean Byron whose real name Imogene Burkhart was used for her character.