DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Best series’ in the 21st century? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/654539-best-series%92-21st-century.html)

OldBoy 01-06-22 07:33 PM

Best series’ in the 21st century?

As much as I love Mad Men and GoT, Breaking Bad is just so enjoyable on so many levels and highly rewatchable. My pick for best these decades. Along with Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Younger, Schitts Creek, Better Call Saul, Fargo, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Last OG, Shield, Justified, Rescue Me, Orange iNB, House of Cards, Mandolorian, few others.

morriscroy 01-06-22 07:38 PM

Re: Best series’ in the 21st century?

How exactly are you defining "21st century" ?

For example, are you including tv shows made in the years 2054? 2099? 2082? 2066?

Do you have a crystal ball or time machine? ;)

OldBoy 01-06-22 07:42 PM

The ones that have come out since 2000, our 21st century. Figured that was obvious.

E Unit 01-06-22 07:52 PM

I’m guessing 2057 is gonna have a lot of good stuff. And George RR Martin should finally be done with his later GoT book the year before. So here come the HBO series for it.

morriscroy 01-06-22 07:59 PM

The Law & Order franchise will continue nonstop well into the 22nd century, on terrestrial and martian network television.

The CSI franchise will be on and off throughout the 21st century, and into the 22nd century. :)

GoldenJCJ 01-06-22 08:11 PM

Does Band of Brothers count? If so, that’s my pick.

I’ll also add Deadwood. The great movie is a nice bonus.

PhantomStranger 01-06-22 08:25 PM

It has to be The Shield for me since it's the only great show which didn't completely fall apart by the end. It should be noted that I never really enjoyed Breaking Bad beyond passable and gave up on it after a couple seasons. We all know Game of Thrones fell apart. I badly want to say Lost but knowing they couldn't provide satisfying answers in the final season undermines its greatness a bit.

My favorite single season of television this century is still the first season of The Magicians. If you dig fantasy, that is an incredibly compelling single season.

Count Dooku 01-06-22 09:05 PM

I feel like you hit it in your first sentence. Either Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

MLBFan24 01-06-22 10:34 PM

Breaking Bad for sure.

If a movie or TV show is based on previous source material, it loses points from me as being the “best”.

MR Round 01-06-22 11:15 PM

My top 10 of the last 22 years would be these: I couldn't decide so its actually 11
Firefly, Its my all time favorite show and I rewatch it a few times yearly
The OC - this was the first show I really ever looked forward to watching or sat down and watched intently: I was in 6th grade when it started and really got into it. I rewatched it recently and it was just as good
Game Of Thrones: I know most hate the later seasons but I still loved them and enjoy the whole series
The Office. I don't know why i like this so much, I've never set foot in an office or relate to anything in it but it makes me laugh every time
American Dreams: Always felt this was underrated and its a shame its mostly forgotten
Everwood: Just liked everything about this and I've rewatched it several times
Chernobyl: So incredibly well made and just so absorbing. Wish all shows were made like this
Defying Gravity - Never been so mad at a cancelation in my life, but i rewatch it a lot
Lemony Snickets A Series Of Unfortunate Events: In my opinion the most perfect book adaptation I've seen.
Scrubs - The only sitcom in my lifetime i would consider even i top show
The Tudors - Absolutely loved this and its production and casting

RichC2 01-06-22 11:21 PM

Lost, Rick and Morty, Bob's Burgers and American Dad for me.

I have the taste of a 15 year old nerd still.

Count Dooku 01-06-22 11:58 PM

American Dreams: Always felt this was underrated and its a shame its mostly forgotten
A long time ago, I picked up this entire series on DVD for next to nothing, and I've never cracked it. The picture of Brittany Snow on the cover is pretty.

Runaway 01-07-22 02:12 AM

For me it's The Shield, while I'm not one of those people who start hating a show which has a finale episode or finale season, which wasn't great, I do appreciate the ending of The Shield as the best ending for a show.
After watching the last shot of the first episode, I couldn't imagine how this show could go anywhere, but it had a perfect run.

There are some other shows like Deadwood, Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones which are right up there too.

Gunde 01-07-22 02:34 AM

The Wire, if I can pick only one.

But I'd hate to leave out:
The Shield
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Band of Brothers
Deadwood

Wolf359 01-07-22 06:55 AM

Not very different than other's lists but

The Wire
The Shield
Angel
DS9
Six Feet Under
The Office

And agreed that the last season of Lost took it out of contention.

Holydoc 01-07-22 07:25 AM

Lost - Most talked about and discussed series. Yes, ending was terrible but the ride to get there and the character development was groundbreaking.
Big Bang Theory - Looked forward and laughed during every episode
Breaking Bad - Incredible characters
GoT - Finally a fantasy worth watching
The Walking Dead (early episodes) - Got repetitive later on and stopped watching it on a regular basis. However in the beginning it gave you a glimpse into how humanity could turn on itself.

Now granted I have not watched The Shield, The Wire, Better Call Saul, or Band of Brothers. I have only heard good things about these so they could possibly move onto my list in the future.

Draven 01-07-22 07:52 AM

Schitt’s Creek for me. Fantastic all around and then stuck the landing.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a close second for similar reasons.

I love shows like GOT, Angel, The Office, Parks and Rec, etc. but they all had big missteps along the way. My two picks never had that IMHO.

rocket1312 01-07-22 08:24 AM

The only correct answer to this question is and always will be The Wire.

Given Oldboy's hard on for Idris Elba, I'm stunned he didn't start this thread just to talk about him/it.

Rodney2187 01-07-22 08:54 AM

1. The Mandalorian
2. The Expanse
3. Hannibal
4. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
5. The West Wing
6. The Sopranos
7. Curb Your Enthusiasm
8. Parks and Recreation
9. Stranger Things
10. Ted Lasso

Runaway 01-07-22 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14036520)
The ones that have come out since 2000, our 21st century. Figured that was obvious.

Which leaves the question open, what about The Sopranos. The show started in 1999 but 73 of its 86 episodes aired since 2000.

beavis69 01-07-22 09:16 AM

In no order
Bojack Horseman
Parks and Rec
Deadwood
Band of Brothers
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Hannibal
Silicon Valley
Black Mirror

Too many shows went past their expiration date (The Office, Community, Arrested Development, Stranger Things, Crazy Ex Girlfriend), had a bad season that prevents it from being the best (Game of Thrones, The Wire, Friday Night Lights, Orange is the New Black), or just never found their footing after an extremely good beginning (Lost, American Horror Story, True Detective). I'm also the only person in the universe that didn't seem to enjoy Breaking Bad at all which is odd since it seems up my alley. Their are other series like Atlanta, What We Do in the Shadows, Euphoria that I think will make it in but need to see how the follow on seasons go.

Draven 01-07-22 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 14036714)
Too many shows went past their expiration date (The Office, Community, Arrested Development, Stranger Things, Crazy Ex Girlfriend), had a bad season that prevents it from being the best (Game of Thrones, The Wire, Friday Night Lights, Orange is the New Black), or just never found their footing after an extremely good beginning (Lost, American Horror Story, True Detective). I'm also the only person in the universe that didn't seem to enjoy Breaking Bad at all which is odd since it seems up my alley. Their are other series like Atlanta, What We Do in the Shadows, Euphoria that I think will make it in but need to see how the follow on seasons go.

Just gonna jump in and defend my pick here - the creators planned four seasons with a consistent arc and did four seasons with a consistent arc.

morriscroy 01-07-22 09:30 AM

A better question is how many tv shows mentioned so far in this thread, will be even remembered in the year 2099 ?

How many tv/media/holodeck viewers in the year 2099 will be aware of something like Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, Games of Thrones, etc .... ? (ie. Besides a tv / film / media historian).

fujishig 01-07-22 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 14036726)
A better question is how many tv shows mentioned so far in this thread, will be even remembered in the year 2099 ?

How many tv/media/holodeck viewers in the year 2099 will be aware of something like Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, Games of Thrones, etc .... ? (ie. Besides a tv / film / media historian).

There will be like five remakes of these by 2099 so it will still be in the public conscience.

I'm a little surprised we haven't seen like reboots of stuff like Mash or Cheers yet.

Count Dooku 01-07-22 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 14036726)

If we apply that perspective, shouldn't we just shut down the entire site?

Will anything --movies, tv shows, music, sports, video games-- that people are talking about today be of interest to people 80 years from now, or even 30 years from now?

Maybe Oldboy should add SO FAR to his thread title, or we can go with the old show business adage: you buy the premise and you buy the bit.