This Is Us (NBC) -- The 6th and Final Season -- premieres 1/4/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

This Is Us (NBC) -- The 6th and Final Season -- premieres 1/4/22

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-22, 09:16 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: This Is Us (NBC) -- The 6th and Final Season -- premieres 1/4/22

I'm sad to see this show end, but I'm glad it did while it was still good. I agree that the finale wasn't a knockout in terms of emotional impact, but it was a fitting ending.
Old 05-25-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Kind of a dud of a finale. Feel like it shortchanged Kate and Kevin in favor of Randall and Deja.

I also don't like when shows that are mostly grounded in reality end up giving dead characters some magical happy ending in the afterlife.
Old 05-25-22, 10:15 AM
Enormous Genitals

I'm treating the penultimate episode as the "finale" and the last episode as an epilogue. I agree with the supernatural junk, but it was still good storytelling. And they did it better the penultimate episode, should have left it there. But really I have no serious complaints about the show, overall it was solid.
The following users liked this post:
GuessWho (05-26-22)
Old 05-25-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I'm treating the penultimate episode as the "finale" and the last episode as an epilogue. I agree with the supernatural junk, but it was still good storytelling. And they did it better the penultimate episode, should have left it there. But really I have no serious complaints about the show, overall it was solid.
I think the plan was to end the parents story and then the next episode to show how all the children will move on from there.. and kind of end it all with a big hug. I think they did that.

Now, of course, it is a TV show so you know all 3 kids going off following their altruistic dreams isn't very realistic but hey maybe there will be follow up in a few years where they show Randall gets busted for trying to bribe the DA to not charge him for snorting coke with a prostitute in the hotel room, unhappy with every decision he's ever made Kevin sells his house and moves to Botswana where he is promptly attacked by a hyena , and Kate is on husband #6 because all the other ones have serious emotional issue - it's certainly not her that's for sure.
Bandoman (05-25-22)
Old 05-25-22, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Kind of a dud of a finale. Feel like it shortchanged Kate and Kevin in favor of Randall and Deja.

I also don't like when shows that are mostly grounded in reality end up giving dead characters some magical happy ending in the afterlife.
I know it's unrealistic for every character to get a moment, but they really short-changed Randall's other two daughters.
Old 05-26-22, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
I think the plan was to end the parents story and then the next episode to show how all the children will move on from there.. and kind of end it all with a big hug. I think they did that.

Now, of course, it is a TV show so you know all 3 kids going off following their altruistic dreams isn't very realistic but hey maybe there will be follow up in a few years where they show Randall gets busted for trying to bribe the DA to not charge him for snorting coke with a prostitute in the hotel room, unhappy with every decision he's ever made Kevin sells his house and moves to Botswana where he is promptly attacked by a hyena , and Kate is on husband #6 because all the other ones have serious emotional issue - it's certainly not her that's for sure.
I'd watch that.
General Zod (05-26-22)
Old 05-26-22, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I'm treating the penultimate episode as the "finale" and the last episode as an epilogue.
You're spot on
Bandoman (05-31-22)
Old 05-29-22, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Mandy Moore told Fallon the penultimate episode was the real finale and the finale was more of a celebration.

I guess the ending was suppose to be enjoy the little things in life and those moments when they happen.

Maybe they could have had a 2 hr finale and combined the last two shows and edited where they end with Jack and Rebecca meeting at the end of the train.

Sucks they could have done 2 or 3 more seasons.
Old 05-31-22, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

A bit underwhelming but about what I expected from a character driven show. There were no storylines that needed to be wrapped up so I wasn't expecting much more than what we got.

Was there a story-driven reason why Kate's new husband wasn't at the funeral or any scenes after? Plenty of Toby. Agree about Randall's two (biological) daughters. They might as well been written off. They clearly didn't want to hire new actresses to play a different timeline version of them but at least give them some closure via the adult age actresses. Deja got plenty.

I'd love to see a spin-off with college aged Randall and Beth. Those two actors did an amazing job.
Old 07-01-22, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Finished this up weeks ago, but have continued to sit on it. I agree the train episode was very well done. What’s interesting is how long ago they filmed that because of the age of the younger actors; so clearly they had a plan.

I think my main concern - and still seems to be - is the last episode. It wasn’t bad, but was just some random day with the family. I guess that was the point, but after all this time with all of these characters it seemed we didn’t get a lot of closure.

I would have liked to have seen more with the extended family, and also the historic teen kids. We spent a lot of time with. On both sets, but then much like the last episode, that was that - they were just gone.

Despite some great episodes, the last season seemed to meander. They knew it was the end, but there just seemed to be too much wandering to get everybody where they needed to be.

I don’t think it would really work given the format of the show, but I wonder if anybody would every try to cut it so you view everything chronologically. Could be interesting.

Overall enjoyed the show. I’m sure it’ll be a staple, and years to come you’ll stop on a channel to watch a rerun and remember.

Old 08-19-23, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://people.com/ron-cephas-jones-...-at-66-7693257

Ron Cephas Jones, who played William (Randall's biological Dad), died at 66. Apparently he had a pulmonary issue.

He's probably best known in this forum from this show, That's why I'm posting it here.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Bandoman (08-21-23), Goldberg74 (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 07:39 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

I just heard the news and came here to see if there was a thread… and this thread is the perfect place to talk about him. He was the heart of this show for me for awhile.

“I know it feels like you have all the time in the world. But you don’t. So, stop playing it so cool. Catch the moments of your life. Catch them while you’re young and quick. Because sooner than you know it, you’ll be old. And slow. And there’ll be no more of them to catch.” - William Hill

RIP Ron Cephas Jones
Old 08-19-23, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Sterling K Brown posted about Ron Cephas Jones on his IG

Old 08-20-23, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

He was a fave for me on Mr.Robot as Romero. Old school hacker always great at keeping things real. I was bummed when he went off the show. Terrific voice. Great to see he had even more success on This Is Us.
Old 08-20-23, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I really liked him in Luke Cage. Hate to say it but I thought he was older than 66 even in Luke Cage and that was several years ago.
Old 08-21-23, 07:18 AM
Enormous Genitals

Damn, he was such a good actor. His daughter (Jasmine Cephas Jones) played Peggy/Maria in the original cast of Hamilton. Talented family.
Old 08-21-23, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

RIP

I will miss his appearances in movies too