TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hawkeye (S1E06) - Finale - “So This Is Christmas” - 12/22/21

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Hawkeye (S1E06) - Finale - “So This Is Christmas” - 12/22/21

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
When Kingpin was talking to Kate's Mom, they seemed to be doing some forced perspective work, making him seem MUCH bigger than her. Which I thought was cool, cause you know, Kingpin is supposed to be huge. (Even though I loved him in the Daredevil series as he was). But then they abandoned that in the scenes with Maya and at the car. So maybe my eyes were just playing tricks on me in the earlier scene.
I’m surprised nobody mentioned the “BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!” when Kingpin walked.
Old 12-25-21, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

In his opening scene kingpin sat down in a chair and the chair creaked as if it was going to collapse under him.
Kingpin’s voice was modulated throughout the ep to make it heavy. To give it gravitas so to speak.
When he walked his steps where heavy.

Forced perspective made him look larger then life.

He was near invulnerable much like he is in the comics.
He is much more then a very large man as was indicated with the way he tossed a couple people around like they were nothing and when Kate Bishop shot him with an arrow.
Old 12-25-21, 07:46 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I really enjoyed this series. I've never seen any of the Netflix Marvel shows, including Daredevil, so I'm not attached to D'onofrio as Kingpin but I enjoyed him. I've personally never understood the hate Hawkeye gets or why it's fun to have him be the butt of the joke. This series was a lot of fun and I'd gladly watch a sequel. As for what I wrote in another thread:

Originally Posted by story
I think it's 95% the mom and maybe 5% the fiance.

I think there's a lot of audience misdirection going on and Jack is a pawn. I also think mom killed dad during the New York invasion.

I have wondered if it's Laura's watch and she's actually a former SHIELD agent.
I called the mom and I called the watch and I really do think I called the dad, though they never showed that. Maybe cut for time? That would be a lot to work out in that back alley before law enforcement arrived.
Old 12-25-21, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I really enjoyed this series. I've never seen any of the Netflix Marvel shows, including Daredevil, so I'm not attached to D'onofrio as Kingpin but I enjoyed him. I've personally never understood the hate Hawkeye gets or why it's fun to have him be the butt of the joke. This series was a lot of fun and I'd gladly watch a sequel. As for what I wrote in another thread:

I called the mom and I called the watch and I really do think I called the dad, though they never showed that. Maybe cut for time? That would be a lot to work out in that back alley before law enforcement arrived.
As far as I understand mom didn’t kill the dad, it’s just that when he died he left mom indebted to Kingpin.
Old 12-27-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Well, I'm getting better about these things and actually finished this show relatively "on time."

I loved the show but it was mainly for the character work and the tone and not for the plot. The plot kinda sucked. The action scenes were great, though. So much more character than Renner has had in the movies, and it makes me wish they took this integration with tv shows earlier to flesh out these characters (I realize they couldn't without a Disney Plus platform). Giving him a handicap and making him seem like this old (but still supremely skilled) man was actually pretty awesome.

The one thing I might have missed was... what the heck was the big deal about Mockingbird's watch? That seemed like the target of the jumpsuit guys from the get go, was that just because Echo was trying to get to Barton and his family (and if so, why didn't they target the Ronin suit and blade since that's who they were after anyway)? I don't mind the reveal but man I was expecting a bit more than that.

Also for all the resources Yelena has to move the plot along (hey, here's a convenient spy camera with sound), she couldn't figure out Hawkeye didn't murder her sister?
Old 12-27-21, 01:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The one thing I might have missed was... what the heck was the big deal about Mockingbird's watch?...

...Also for all the resources Yelena has to move the plot along (hey, here's a convenient spy camera with sound), she couldn't figure out Hawkeye didn't murder her sister?
The watch thing did seem to make not much sense given that's what the Tracksuit Mafia was sent after in the first place. A story point that fizzled out, was left on the cutting room floor, or is a setup for a Hawkeye 2 (or even Echo)? I don't know, but it is a little annoying.

And Nat's death did happen on a far away alien world, so how could anyone but Clint know what really happened? But aside form that, I don't think Yelena thinks Clint murdered Nat. What I took from her actions was that she believed he was responsible for her death because he didn't stop it from happening. She accuses his failure of being intentional, but that's really her pain talking. She was hurting and made him the focus of that hurt by blaming him.
Old 12-27-21, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I get that she may not have been able to get the details but there's gotta be a better way to verify your suspicions than just trying to kill someone, especially someone who has as many resources as she does and knows so much. I get the grief part, though. That had to be the most predictable part of the whole story, perhaps even from the moment we saw that post credit scene in Black Widow, that Clint would explain things to her.

Another nitpick, the first thing I thought of when she attacked him in that ice rink was "why not take care of the guy shooting at them first" but luckily the plot took care of that as everyone squared off at the same time.
Old 12-27-21, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

The show was a little uneven at times, but we really enjoyed it for the most part. And it wasn’t long-winded by any means. (Loki and WandaVision were my favorites this season, but this was still much better than the disappointing mess that was Falcon and Winter Soldier.)

I liked that they showed an older Barton with disabilities.

Kate was annoying at times, but what twenty-something isn’t?

the LARPers were fantastic, and we enjoyed seeing them throughout the series. They were great in the finale.

Jack was fantastic in the finale after they used him as a decoy throughout the season.

great to see the return of D’Onofrio’s Kingpin.

good send off for Renner, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him and Agent 19 on an adventure together.
Old 01-06-22, 08:22 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Read a story today that the original post-credit scene for the finale was

Spoiler:
Clint sending Kingpin the Ronin sword as a message to stay away from Kate, but they cut it because they they felt it would take away from the ending if they revealed Kingpin was alive right after the shooting.

Old 01-18-22, 03:54 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Marvel Studios' Assembled: The Making of Hawkeye - EXCLUSIVELY ON DISNEY PLUS on January 19, 2022.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Rodney2187 (01-18-22), tanman (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Read a story today that the original post-credit scene for the finale was

Spoiler:
Clint sending Kingpin the Ronin sword as a message to stay away from Kate, but they cut it because they they felt it would take away from the ending if they revealed Kingpin was alive right after the shooting.

Yeah people have come back from on screen deaths in the MCU before so it's not a stretch to imagine that. But IMHO they have to be careful with that. Otherwise it becomes like the Arrowverse where there is zero emotional impact with anyone's death because they just keep bringing people back. That's why while everyone else is super excited for the multiverse to open up I'm a little leery of it because it can make the whole thing devolve into the mess we have on the Arrowverse.
Old 01-19-22, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Well I finally got around to watching this and honestly, I wish I hadn't. Steinfeld is an stunning presence as always and Renner brought humor and fun to the show, but man this was a dud. Why call the show Hawkeye at all? And Echo was a total bore of a character. I can;t complain about the strength of the overall plot, because there wasn't any.

Still nowhere near as bad as The Falcon & The Winter Soldier or as dull as What If, but a disappointment nonetheless. With D+ Marvel shows, only WandaVision and Loki have really landed with me.
Old 01-19-22, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I get the differing opinions and criticism but how was What If dull? It's a 30 min cartoon? With really interesting premises.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 06:11 AM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I get the differing opinions and criticism but how was What If dull? It's a 30 min cartoon? With really interesting premises.
I feel the same when it comes to a lot of criticism I read. Not everyone likes the same thing. Art is subjective. Someone can not like the story of course, but to say there isn't one at all is hyperbolic. I loved it. I think the characters and plot are its strongest aspect. Everyone had clear motivations and it was fun watching them all collide.
Old 01-19-22, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Marvel Studios' Assembled: The Making of Hawkeye - EXCLUSIVELY ON DISNEY PLUS on January 19, 2022.
Update:
The release of the Marvel Studios Assembled episode featuring Hawkeye has been delayed by Disney+. Originally scheduled to drop on January 19th, Disney+'s lineup of February 2022 content reveals Marvel Studios: Assembled – The Making of Hawkeye now premieres on Wednesday, February 9th. Following the week after on February 16th will be Marvel Studios: Assembled – The Making of Eternals.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

It was also basically Hailee Steinfeld's show for the most part.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Well I finally got around to watching this and honestly, I wish I hadn't. Steinfeld is an stunning presence as always and Renner brought humor and fun to the show, but man this was a dud. Why call the show Hawkeye at all? And Echo was a total bore of a character. I can;t complain about the strength of the overall plot, because there wasn't any.

Still nowhere near as bad as The Falcon & The Winter Soldier or as dull as What If, but a disappointment nonetheless. With D+ Marvel shows, only WandaVision and Loki have really landed with me.
My first D+ show. I hated it for the same reasons above. I knew I should of gave up after the third episode...

Old 01-19-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Why call the show Hawkeye?" Because he's in it, it's based off of the Hawkeye comic and Kate Bishop's character is also called Hawkeye (in the comics)?

Agreed about Echo though. I have no idea how they're going to make that spinoff interesting.
Old 01-19-22, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig

Agreed about Echo though. I have no idea how they're going to make that spinoff interesting.
If the rumors on the cast are true… it will be plenty interesting.
Old 01-19-22, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
If the rumors on the cast are true… it will be plenty interesting.
Yeah, I'm hoping those rumors are true.
Old 01-19-22, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting premise. Lousy execution.
Old 01-19-22, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Interesting premise. Lousy execution.
That's fair enough. But boring?
Old 01-20-22, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I think it is my favorite of the Marvel shows so far. Lots of humor, lots of heart. Good passing of the torch to the next generation of Avengers. I loved it.
Old 01-20-22, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's fair enough. But boring?
For me, yeah. The show simply didn't engage me. I mean, watching Ms. Steinfeld did, but since I'm literally twice her age I creeped myself out just typing those words
Old 02-09-22, 10:32 AM

The Making of Hawkeye episode is now up.
Old 02-09-22, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Interesting to know there's a future somewhere for Swordsman.