TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The DVDTalk Amazing Race Game -- Winter 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: The DVDTalk Amazing Race Game -- Winter 2022 Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Read the offending post before I had to leave town for a few days. It's deleted now but I just wanted to say how shitty that was. Love this show and have been waiting two years to have it return only to have the winner spoiled.

I think if you're the type of person who reads spoilers or researches that kind of stuff you should be exempt from playing. I don't give a shit about the $5 or winning the game, it's just supposed to be fun and now it's been ruined.
I don't understand the need for people to spoil shows. Don't you want to watch it without knowing who's going to win? I'm glad I didn't read it. I don't want to know who wins until the winner is revealed on air.
The following users liked this post:
Wolf359 (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

But there's also the thing about using your spoiler knowledge in an attempt to win a silly bbs game.

Old 01-15-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
If eliminated teams return, then I think it's only fair for the people that originally drafted them to have them back. We all knew that this was going to be a weird season when we started this game.....
yes, and this is also how I’ve handled it when Survivor did the same thing.

FWIW: if say Moe & Natalia return as a team, they will be considered a new team and the the Bopper rule will be in effect.

but if say we get the original Twinnies and Cowboys Jet & Cord as replacement teams I still need to figure out who gets who.

I haven’t followed these spoilers, but two of them are obvious and I need to send some PMs .

Last edited by Damfino; 01-15-22 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-15-22, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought we had already discussed the spoiler matter and yet we’ve got even more spoilers in the thread. At least one of them is bad enough that I’m tempted to invoke a disqualification.

I will discuss this with my partners by PM.
Old 01-15-22, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Is it a spoiler if it's from the episode? You could see which teams came back from the episode itself, this is not information from the Internet. It was at the end of the episode, they had a little epilogue.
Old 01-15-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Is it a spoiler if it's from the episode? You could see which teams came back from the episode itself, this is not information from the Internet. It was at the end of the episode, they had a little epilogue.
i suppose if you hit pause on that wide shot and figured out who was missing, I’d say maybe.

I can see where I will need to add explicit rules about spoilers in future games. I really don’t like what’s been posted here the past few days.
Old 01-15-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Yeah, I'm baffled here. I would assume EVERYONE who was playing this game was watching the end of the episode to see if their team was back or not. I sure as hell was.
Spoilers from outside websites? That's off-limits. But this was at the end of the last episode. Of course we are gonna be watching closely!
Old 01-15-22, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But there's also the thing about using your spoiler knowledge in an attempt to win a silly bbs game.

That's always been a problem in these games, but I always expected everyone was on the honor system and wouldn't do that...
Old 01-15-22, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's always been a problem in these games, but I always expected everyone was on the honor system and wouldn't do that...
The conversations started after the teams were picked, so looking at spoilers or not gives you no advantage in this game.

Someone mentioned they were spoiled before they were deleted... Those were mine and I use Spoiler tags. If you click on something that says spoilers and then get something spoiled... (this is the general DVDTalk rule, as there were no specific "game rules" for this thread at the time)

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-15-22 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

The conversations started after the teams were picked, so looking at spoilers or not gives you no advantage in this game.

Someone mentioned they were spoiled before they were deleted... Those were mine and I use Spoiler tags. If you click on something that says spoilers and then get something spoiled... (this is the general DVDTalk rule, as there were no specific "game rules" for this thread at the time)
That "someone" was me, as you can see from just a few posts up. And bullshit if it was spoiler tagged, that's a damn lie. But whatever, it's done. You're a trailblazer.
Old 01-16-22, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That "someone" was me, as you can see from just a few posts up. And bullshit if it was spoiler tagged, that's a damn lie. But whatever, it's done. You're a trailblazer.
No, it's not a lie, as at least one gamerunner here can attest to that the ones I deleted had Spoiler tags. I asked even if it's Spoiler tagged and they said yes.
Old 01-16-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, it's not a lie, as at least one gamerunner here can attest to that the ones I deleted had Spoiler tags. I asked even if it's Spoiler tagged and they said yes.
As I said before, it's poor form to post spoilers (even tagged spoilers) in a game thread where many of us want to watch the new episode each week unspoiled... It's never been a problem until this season.... We will be implementing rules and punishments if it ever happens again. Please don't post spoilers in this thread.
Old 01-16-22, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I said before, it's poor form to post spoilers (even tagged spoilers) in a game thread where many of us want to watch the new episode each week unspoiled... It's never been a problem until this season.... We will be implementing rules and punishments if it ever happens again. Please don't post spoilers in this thread.
And as soon as it was said, it was followed. But I'm being personally called a liar and a cheat, and that's not the case. And I believe it is a general DVDTalk rule that if it's in spoilers it's ok, you don't have to read them. There were no additional rules at the time. I got interested in the break after the teams were picked and what information there was out there at the time makes no difference in -this- game after the teans are picked. He's saying I was posting spoiler without spoiler tags and I said that was not the case and that can be coborroated by people who were here at the time.

I think you should implement rules now, I don't think there should be punishments for rules that were not stated, even more so when that action is not punishable anywhere else in the forum. If you want to watch an episode unspoiled, don't come to threads about the show. That's what I do. I stay clear out of the game and the show thread in the forum until I've watched it. Movie Talk has two movie threads, one with spoilers and one without. The one without it's STILL ok to post spoilers in spoiler tags. I make a decision whether I want to click it or not before watching the movie.

I'm being personally attacked, I'm going to respond to it.

And if there was no stated rule and someone did something that you didn't like, that doesn't mean that person did something wrong. That just means if you don't want that to happen in the future, you just make that rule and now there's a rule and everyone's happy. If it wasn't part of the original set of rules when the game was generated.
Old 01-16-22, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I hope we can get back to the important things like ranking how hot the teams are.
Old 01-16-22, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I hope we can get back to the important things like ranking how hot the teams are.
Ryan and Dusty, of course.
Old 01-16-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, I’ve taken some time to think this over and I believe new rules regarding spoilers are needed in this and the Survivor game:

I am not making any new rule retroactive, (I agree that would be wrong) but I see the need to get tough about this, so this new rule goes into effect immediately:

Spoilers (tagged or untagged) are not allowed in the game thread. A spoiler is defined as anything that was not revealed during each week’s episode or in the preview of the next episode. Once an episode airs in the Eastern time zone, you may post anything that occurred in that episode.

Violation of this rule may result in disqualification, loss of prize money and suspension from the next season’s game. However, one mild spoiler may result in a warning, but only once per player.

Repeat violations may result in a life time ban from future games.

The game moderators and artists will discuss enforcement on a case by case basis.

Tagged spoilers would of course still be allowed in the season discussion thread where standard forum rules apply.

Examples from recent posts about last week’s episode:

An attentive viewer would know who’s not coming back and therefore this would not be a spoiler.

Actual spoilers would be reveals about who the replacement teams are or the actual winners of the race are.

Last edited by Damfino; 01-16-22 at 04:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Damfino:
GatorDeb (01-16-22), lwhy? (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had another idea. We could always eliminate players here whose team was either eliminated like Mo and dad and daughter, players with those teams can't win, even if they come back.

Players who don't come back because of the break are right away eliminated here and anyone with those players can't win.

If there's new teams no one can pick them.

So members still in the running would only be those whose teams made it through the first two legs AND came came back from the pandemic. If only xx number of teams come back, only someone who picked one of those can win on each wave. If those xx teams only placed like third place at the highest, then the people who picked that third place team (who has the highest standing of the teams who made it back and had not been eliminated) then that person gets the top money and we just go down from there.

I want to point out since which teams didn't come back is not a spoiler that one of my teams didn't (as far as I could tell from the episode, I have no other confirmation), so I'm advocating for eliminating one of my entries. There's no perfect solution and no way to make this fair, so whatever ends up happening is just going to have to be sufficient.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-16-22 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had another idea. We could always eliminate players here whose team was either eliminated like Mo and dad and daughter, players with those teams can't win, even if they come back.
On this matter, I prefer how it’s been handled in the past on Survivor when contestants were voted out and then allowed to return to the game. We even had one that won the season after being voted out and spending a small amount of time in the actual game.

The bottom line being that when you draft a team, they’re yours for the entire season regardless of twists, gimmicks or pandemics.

See also the first sentence in the game rules:

The jist of the game: For an entry fee of just $5, everyone chooses a team to latch on to before the start of the season. If that team ends up winning race, then YOU will win a $55 Amazon.com gift certificate.
JuryDuty (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Damfino
On this matter, I prefer how it’s been handled in the past on Survivor when contestants were voted out and then allowed to return to the game. We even had one that won the season after being voted out and spending a small amount of time in the actual game.

The bottom line being that when you draft a team, they’re yours for the entire season regardless of twists, gimmicks or pandemics.
If there's precedent then yes go with that precedent. I hadn't realized this had happened before.

​​​​​
Old 01-16-22, 08:04 PM

If there's precedent then yes go with that precedent. I hadn't realized this had happened before.

​​​​​
This is VERY different than that. That was Exile Island — we knew going in that people could return after getting their torch snuffed. They weren’t eliminated from our game until the contestants definitively were out.
This is a case where they may come back to replace other players unable to continue after a stoppage. I think this is different enough that previous Survivor games do not apply. When players in Survivor leave due to illness, injury or quitting, they don’t bring back fully eliminated players to take their place. Just my .02.
Old 01-16-22, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
This is VERY different than that. That was Exile Island — we knew going in that people could return after getting their torch snuffed. They weren’t eliminated from our game until the contestants definitively were out.
This is a case where they may come back to replace other players unable to continue after a stoppage. I think this is different enough that previous Survivor games do not apply. When players in Survivor leave due to illness, injury or quitting, they don’t bring back fully eliminated players to take their place. Just my .02.
I totally thought he was talking about The Amazing Race since that is what we're discussing here

I went back and realized he even wrote out Survivor on the post. Nap time.

Anyway, anything is fine, but it's fun throwing out ideas.
Old 01-16-22, 09:13 PM

Also I think that I will need clarification since I was chastised before : Commenting on things visible in the aired broadcast before "Next time on The Amazing Race" are NOT going to be considered Spoilers, right?
Old 01-17-22, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Also I think that I will need clarification since I was chastised before : Commenting on things visible in the aired broadcast before "Next time on The Amazing Race" are NOT going to be considered Spoilers, right?
Right, after further review we decided that your post was not a spoiler. Apologies for that, but I was trying to contain the spoiler problem and a brewing flame war at the same time.

You were the attentive viewer I was referring to.
Decker (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again, I feel the need to remind everyone of rule no. 1 in the main post of every game I’ve hosted:

The jist of the game: For an entry fee of just $5, everyone chooses a team to latch on to before the start of the season. If that team ends up winning race, then YOU will win a $55 Amazon.com gift certificate.

Going forward I will amend rule no. 1 to clarify no exceptions.

I am preparing a post on how the Bopper rule will apply if the Singing cops and Arun & Natalia don’t return.
Old 01-17-22, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So we saw five teams return out of 9. Whether the eliminated teams return or not, there's going to be new teams.

My team wasn't eliminated and didn't seem to come back, Someone in the other draft picked that same team. And there's another team not eliminated who doesn't come back (based on the episode). I didn't go checking other than mine who came back and who didn't, just that there were 5 left.

The bopper rule states that if new teams come back the ones without a team get them? But how does that work when there's 2-4 teams that didn't come back? And two drafts? Like what are the specifics of it?

Remember how Survivor used to do winner edits for the season? All that talk with Arun and kid about karma? Watch them come back and win (pure speculation, I want Penn and wife to win)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.