Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter: New Blood - Too Many Tuna Sandwiches - (S1E6) - 12/12/21

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Dexter: New Blood - Too Many Tuna Sandwiches - (S1E6) - 12/12/21

Someone has discovered Jim Lindsay's secret identity, leading Dexter to realize that he might not be the only serial killer in town; Harrison spirals out of control during a wrestling match; Angela makes a dark discovery of her own.

Old 12-12-21, 09:58 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Dexter: New Blood - Too Many Tuna Sandwiches - (S1E6) - 12/12/21

I thought this one was pretty good.
Old 12-12-21, 10:52 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah I agree. A lot of story progression this week. Where I think the story is leading to...
Spoiler:
Kurt & Harrison are starting to bond. Dexter already suspects Kurt of being a serial killer, after working the scene for Angela it's gonna confirm it. Dexter coming for Kurt is going to push Harrison over the edge. Harrison comes to Kurt's aid and he's the one that takes Dexter out. Harrison is the real villain this season.

The one annoyance I have with this season is the exact same annoyance I had when Deb found out about Dexter. There's all this info that you'd like them to bring up and discuss and they just ignore it all. Like Deb knew Dexter was the Bay Harbor Butcher. So she had to have suspected Dexter killed Doakes somehow. But they never talk about it. So she's just gotta be okay with assuming he killed their innocent coworker. That's out of character for her. There's all these things Harrison and Dexter should be talking about. Stuff Harrison has to have questions about. But they just don't ever talk about anything. He doesn't ask. And that's not very realistic to me. He knows his mom was killed by Trinity. He's never asked Dexter why. Even if Dexter wouldn't tell him the truth, in Harrison's shoes that's the first question I'd ask.
Old 12-12-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same thing in season eight. LaGuerta is killed right after bringing Dexter in for being the real Bay Harbor Butcher, and yet no one cares to investigate further into what happened to her. Not Batista who was married to her previously or any of the other Miami Metro crew.

That was such a glaring think to overlook that season to me. How could you not go anywhere with that?

The writing just really took a nosedive to the point where it became ridiculous.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-12-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-12-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Seeing as there are 10 episodes when I thought there were only 8, I thought this would be a bridge episode where nothing happens to fill time.

But everything happened in this one. Good episode.
Old 12-12-21, 05:32 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Same thing in season eight. LaGuerta is killed right after bringing Dexter in for being the real Bay Harbor Butcher, and yet no one cares to investigate further into what happened to her. Not Batista who was married to her previously or any of the other Miami Metro crew.

That was such a glaring think to overlook that season to me. How could you not go anywhere with that?

The writing just really took a nosedive to the point where it became ridiculous.
Totally agree. Even if it lead nowhere, Batista wouldn't just let it go and move on. Especially when they had a scene of him going through her possessions and he found warrants for GPS records. They don't just give out warrants when there's no cause. But he just shrugs and that's it. The later seasons of Dexter did this a lot. Major earth shattering cliff hanger endings that has zero follow up. Rita's death was pretty much ignored. Deb finding out Dexter was a killer wasn't totally ignored, but severely down played from what the audience was wanting. LaGuerta being murdered almost immediately after trying to arrest Dexter was full on ignored and barely even referenced.

But getting back to this season... so Dexter knows Harrison sliced up Ethan without being provoked. Now he just witnessed him snap his wrestling opponent's arm clearly after the match had ended. At what point does this character accept Harrison has a dark passenger and open up to him? It's pretty clear to the viewers. It should be clear to Dexter. Wouldn't the next logical step be to try and get the conversation started about what he is? And how he can help Harrison do this safely? Just not seeing why he would still be holding back. Pretty obvious Harrison is violent and aggressive and is headed for trouble. It's now or never.
Old 12-12-21, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay this was the episode I’ve been waiting for all season. Damn, that was good stuff all around. Very intense/edge of your seat like Dexter in its prime. Hopefully the last four episodes are as good as this one was.

Probably my biggest complaint is the relationship between Dexter and Harrison. I get it that they obviously have a strained relationship, but could Dexter not be a better father at all? On top of that angsty Harrison is getting a bit old.

I keep feeling like there’s going to be this conversation between the two where Dexter reveals more of himself. Maybe not necessarily that he’s a serial killer, but some nuggets about his past and how he can relate to Harrison. That conversation just isn’t happening yet though and I’m not sure why that’s so hard.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-13-21 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-13-21, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm hoping to see Dexter put Harrison in his place one way or another. How did this little shit survive for however long since Hannah died? He's been in town a few weeks(?) and already stirred up a ton trouble.

So did Harrison register at the high school as Harrison Lindsey? Wouldn't they need his previous records to enroll? Same thing for Dexter. How was he able to come up with a fake identity and eventually buy (rent?) his own cabin?

I still don't buy that this is the real Harrison. Harrison was a blonde and not an asshole like this kid. Wasn't Harrison around 5 years old in season 8? He should only be 13 years old or so.
Old 12-13-21, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I fully agree about characters not asking questions to people they should be asking, and letting things just drop.
Dexter wants to know how Angela found out about his real identity - why didn't he just ask her? She may not have told him, but there'd be no harm in asking her.
And I guess in Angela's research into Dexter she didn't come across any mention of people suspecting he took Deb with him into the hurricane? Was no one even curious where Deb's body went in the original show? The writing is still a sore spot with this show.

Originally Posted by windom
So did Harrison register at the high school as Harrison Lindsey? Wouldn't they need his previous records to enroll? Same thing for Dexter. How was he able to come up with a fake identity
and eventually buy (rent?) his own cabin?
I'm assuming he took his step-mom's last name maybe?

I still don't buy that this is the real Harrison. Harrison was a blonde and not an asshole like this kid. Wasn't Harrison around 5 years old in season 8? He should only be 13 years old or so.
I think he's closer to 15 or 16 now. It's been almost 10 years as Dexter mentioned, and if the kid was 5 or 6 - it gets him very close to 15. Even though the actor is 22 - and looks it.

I liked the idea of Dexter needing to charge the phone but is actually recording the conversation. Of course it would've been wise to ensure the phone was locked while recording - the bartender could've easily seen the phone recording. And I loved how the recording sounded like it came from a studio - perfect audio with no ambient sound at all.

I did like how they made Dexter find out something was really wrong with Kurt because of him inviting podcast chick to talk with his not-alive son.
Old 12-13-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The part where Harrison broke the other wrestler’s arm seemed dumb. Pretty sure someone would have noticed that and would pulled him off before he was able just snap the other guy’s arm. It wasn’t like it was an accident or anything and he was clearly seen stretching the arm until it broke.

Maybe that will be addressed though as it seems like the wrestlers from the other team saw what happened.
Old 12-14-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thought this was a really good episode. We all know Dexter is DEXTER but his explanation came across as believable. One of the stronger episodes since early seasons.