The Expanse (Amazon) -- The 6th and Final season -- Premieres 12/10/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Expanse (Amazon) -- The 6th and Final season -- Premieres 12/10/21

Old 01-04-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: The Expanse (Amazon) -- The 6th and Final season -- Premieres 12/10/21

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Episode 4 was a bit slower, and not as much happened, but it was still really good.

Yeah, I wish Holden hadn't disarmed that warhead, but they gave him a compelling reason for doing it. I would have had a hard time doing it in his position, too. I probably would have just lived with the consequences of killing Filip, but I can see how it would be hard to do.

Two episodes left, huh. Feels like there should be at least 3, if not 4. They're going to have to cram a whole lot into those episodes to complete this storyline. And given that, why are they bothering with the stuff on the ring planet? That seems really unrelated and extraneous. Kind of makes me think that either they thought maybe they'd get one more season, or they're going to tie it in to the finale somehow.
There's only two episodes left? I've read all the books minus the last one (I just checked it out from the library), and there is simply no way they are going to end the way the books are. This seems set up to do movies to finish it, or they are dropping a SIGNIFICANT amount of plot from the books.

This is a spoiler from the second to last book regarding the ring planet stuff and where the story was heading in general as I remember. I have sub spoilered with descriptions as best as I could:
Spoiler:
That girl, as telegraphed brings her brother "back to life" with the aid of the creatures on the planet, and this ties in to a future plot point regarding the general she spoke to which I will spoiler below.

Regarding what happens with Marco and his fleet I will sub spoiler as well:

Spoiler:
The foreshadowing about the "bubble" that swallows ships plays into it here. They are able to wipe out his entire fleet by baiting him into or out of the ring gates, but jumping through enough gates to trigger the next "swallowing" and they disappear his entire fleet.

Regarding that general the daughter was speaking to and plot going forward:

Spoiler:
The books jump 30 years into the future! Duerte is kind of a dictator, and he has had scientists experimenting on him using what they discovered in the rings and on this planet to try and extend his own life. The children are both there, and their aging has been frozen but they aren't the "same" after being brought back to life. They seem to have knowledge of the people who made the gate. There's some talk about the creatures on the planet being created by the ring people, and they are scared of who wiped out the ring society. Duerte and his society create a super weapon/ships using the new technology, but it starts to go awry. All of a sudden when they fire this weapon, people start losing time, and now it's Holden trying to convince them that they are going to awaken what wiped the ring species.

Spoiler:

Old 01-04-22, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
There's only two episodes left? I've read all the books minus the last one (I just checked it out from the library), and there is simply no way they are going to end the way the books are. This seems set up to do movies to finish it, or they are dropping a SIGNIFICANT amount of plot from the books.

This is a spoiler from the second to last book regarding the ring planet stuff and where the story was heading in general as I remember. I have sub spoilered with descriptions as best as I could:
Spoiler:
That girl, as telegraphed brings her brother "back to life" with the aid of the creatures on the planet, and this ties in to a future plot point regarding the general she spoke to which I will spoiler below.

Regarding what happens with Marco and his fleet I will sub spoiler as well:

Spoiler:
The foreshadowing about the "bubble" that swallows ships plays into it here. They are able to wipe out his entire fleet by baiting him into or out of the ring gates, but jumping through enough gates to trigger the next "swallowing" and they disappear his entire fleet.

Regarding that general the daughter was speaking to and plot going forward:

Spoiler:
The books jump 30 years into the future! Duerte is kind of a dictator, and he has had scientists experimenting on him using what they discovered in the rings and on this planet to try and extend his own life. The children are both there, and their aging has been frozen but they aren't the "same" after being brought back to life. They seem to have knowledge of the people who made the gate. There's some talk about the creatures on the planet being created by the ring people, and they are scared of who wiped out the ring society. Duerte and his society create a super weapon/ships using the new technology, but it starts to go awry. All of a sudden when they fire this weapon, people start losing time, and now it's Holden trying to convince them that they are going to awaken what wiped the ring species.

they are only covering up through book 6 iirc
Old 01-04-22, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I like this show but I find it wildly overrated. I really respect the accurate science, the progression of language and the realism of what a far future might look like but I find the overall story sort of boring and super slow paced. I mean they spent forever on the Naomi storyline last year and that was dull as mud and Inaros is not an interesting villain at all AND they are just hitting the same notes as last year. Only 2 episodes left but not very good so far this year IMO
Old 01-04-22, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

YeahÖI forgot to mention the last few episodes Iíve actually started fast forwarding through the ring planet stuff and the annoying girl with the dead bird/brother.
Old 01-05-22, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
YeahÖI forgot to mention the last few episodes Iíve actually started fast forwarding through the ring planet stuff and the annoying girl with the dead bird/brother.
Funny..I find it maybe the most interesting part.
Old 01-07-22, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Series finale next week?!?!?!?

Old 01-07-22, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Damn, I will miss this show when it's gone. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a spin-off series or movie. I definitely need to finish the books.

I've become a big fan of Cara Gee looking forward to her on the screen again in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by funkyryno:
Rodney2187 (01-07-22), T-bone22 (01-17-22)
Old 01-09-22, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 504 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I've become a big fan of Cara Gee looking forward to her on the screen again in the future.
Me, too. Drummer is my favorite character from this show, largely due to Gee's performance.

It's hard to believe there's only one episode left, when it feels like there's so much story left to play out.. I expect some deus ex machina resolution involving the rings.
Old 01-09-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts

Yeah, it feels like there's no way to adequately resolve the storylines in one episode.

I liked Episode 5 a lot, too - just like all the other episodes this season - but it seems like there's another 6 episode worth of story left.

And I still don't see what the stuff on the ring planet with the kids and alien animals has to do with anything else this season. I'm sure they're going to tie it together somehow, but it seems really disconnected and unrelated.
Old 01-09-22, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 882 Likes on 669 Posts

The last episode need to be like two hours long to cover everything. Seems like a lot is going to be left on the table.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-09-22)
Old 01-09-22, 12:57 PM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

There's just no way they can end it in a way where I wouldn't want more.
Old 01-13-22, 11:42 AM

Well, here we are. This is it. Series finale tonight!

Not sure how theyíre going to wrap it all up, but I hope they leave it in a good place. Iíd like it to go out on a high note.
Old 01-14-22, 01:21 PM

Pretty underwhelming. They clearly plan on shopping the series again or maybe making some additional movies or something. I am SOOOO tired of consoles exploding in sparks when the hull is hit. It's dumb on Star Trek and even dumber here. The twist was the least surprising twist ever.
Old 01-14-22, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 678 Likes on 487 Posts

That end battle was one of the best space battles I have ever seen. Simply amazing.

Holden's plot was easily seen, but it was still fantastic to see.

I will miss this show a lot. One of the most realistic sci-fi shows ever.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
That end battle was one of the best space battles I have ever seen. Simply amazing.

Holden's plot was easily seen, but it was still fantastic to see.

I will miss this show a lot. One of the most realistic sci-fi shows ever.
Interesting. They have done some great battles but I thought this one was confusing and sort of lame. I do like the realism a lot but the last couple seasons have been really poor in my opinion.
Old 01-14-22, 09:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

After the way the last episode ended, I wonder why they even bothered to include the ring planet stuff in any of the episodes this season. It was really a side plot, or an intro into a future major plot, but being left there, basically unresolved, was quite frustrating. Did this season's episode count get cut down after shooting began, or did the showrunners expect another season? Otherwise, there seemed no reason to even have that material in the show. I suppose it might be there in the books (don't tell me, I'm only up to book 3). But it seems very out of place in this season's episodes, and the characters unconnected to anyone else in the show.
The following 4 users liked this post by SteveA:
[email protected] (01-17-22), marka351 (01-15-22), The Antipodean (01-15-22), Thos19 (01-18-22)
Old 01-15-22, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
After the way the last episode ended, I wonder why they even bothered to include the ring planet stuff in any of the episodes this season. It was really a side plot, or an intro into a future major plot, but being left there, basically unresolved, was quite frustrating. Did this season's episode count get cut down after shooting began, or did the showrunners expect another season? Otherwise, there seemed no reason to even have that material in the show. I suppose it might be there in the books (don't tell me, I'm only up to book 3). But it seems very out of place in this season's episodes, and the characters unconnected to anyone else in the show.
Agreed, it made no sense in the show as it did not go anywhere. It just left people wondering if they missed something
Old 01-15-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah apparently the stuff with the children and the guy in the finale who said he wouldnít help Marcos is all from later books in the series, which seemed pointless Easter eggs for those of us who havenít read all the books. Iíd gladly have cut all that out and about 50% of Filipís sad-eyed parental dramas and given the time to other things.

The finale was still fairly good, and appreciated the emphasis on the Roci crew and their bonds, but it still felt very rushed and I had hoped to get more protomolecule closure. Six episodes was definitely too cramped for the final season.
Old 01-15-22, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 159 Posts

Expanse Series Finale Easter Egg!!!

I just spotted this, then Googled and found that someone else screen capped it.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Bobby Draper - Expanse
Amos Burton - Expanse
General Ackbar - Star Wars
Duncan Idaho - Dune
Douglas Quaid - Total Recall
Alex Rogan - The Last Starfighter
Dave Bowman - 2001
Jason Nesmith - Galaxy Quest
Commander Shepard - Mass Effect (thanks Deftones)
Edward Buck - Halo

Garrity, K - ?
Ochiai, H - ?
Ellen Ripley - Alien
Jenette Vasquez - Aliens
Dwayne Hicks - Aliens
William Hudson - Aliens
Joseph Cooper - Interstellar
Rick Deckard - Blade Runner
John Anderton - Minority Report
Jack O'Neil - Stargate

Levine, R - ?
Johnny Rico - Starship Troopers
Lone Starr - Spaceballs
Kara Thrace - Battlestar Galactica
Louise Banks - Arrival
Sara Connor - Terminator
Kevin Flynn - TRON
Ryan Stone - Gravity
Roy Neary - Close Encounters
William Riker - Star Trek: TNG

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-16-22 at 02:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kenbuzz:
[email protected] (01-17-22), Rodney2187 (01-16-22)
Old 01-15-22, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 678 Likes on 487 Posts

Commander Shepard is from Mass Effect video game series.
Old 01-15-22, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 504 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, some good scenes with the Rocinante crew and I liked Holden's final play. But it all felt way too rushed, especially since there was no payoff to the ring planet sideplot. I especially disliked that the little punk ass bitch Filip got away, and it was implied that Naomi's words finally got through to him. No, he's just a coward who saw the writing on the wall and bailed at the last minute. He was a murderer and deserved to die just as much as his father. And storywise, it kind of negates the big sacrifice that Naomi made in destroying Inaros' ship.
I really like this series overall, but these final two seasons were a bit disappointing. I am going to give the books a try, though.
Old 01-15-22, 04:04 PM

It was a decent ending, but the rest of season 6 wan't that great. Overall, still one of my favorite shows. I'm so glad Amazon rescued it when SyFy cancelled it. I'm probably going to binge the whole series again soon. I hope somehow we haven't seen the last of them.
Old 01-16-22, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts

I thought it was a fairly satisfying end to the series - even if it does leave the door open to more seasons if someone else wanted to pick it up.

I completely agree on the criticism that the stuff on the ring planet with the kids was totally extraneous and took away time from the main storyline, which needed every minute possible. The ring planet stuff is left unresolved, and is a bit confusing. I'm not sure what the point of including it was.

Still, overall it was a very good epsidoe and I liked this (shortened) season a lot.

Old 01-16-22, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
Thereís something Iím finding a little inert about this season with only two episodes to go. Feels like too much time with Marco and the same conflicts we had last season and not much in the way of setting up and endgame. Itís not terrible, but Iím not riveted to the screen like Iíve often been in previous seasons.
Same here. I watched the 6 episodes over the last few days but I wasn't exactly riveted.

Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
So glad someone else brought this up. I was totally confused by that story and what it had to do with what else was going on.
Old 01-16-22, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

Yes, now that the series is over, I am wondering why they included the ring stuff as well. I included spoilers above as to what it means for the books later, but man, it's pretty useless in its current context. I wonder if they just plan on releasing movies to actually finish the story. The ring planet stuff is all really cool in the novels too. That reminds me, I have the last book sitting on my coffee table, and I have to go read it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.