DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   George & Tammy (Showtime) - Chastain, Shannon, Zahn, Goggins - Limited series - premieres 12/4/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/654352-george-tammy-showtime-chastain-shannon-zahn-goggins-limited-series-premieres-12-4-22-a.html)

DJariya 12-08-21 03:44 PM

George & Tammy (Showtime) - Chastain, Shannon, Zahn, Goggins - Limited series - premieres 12/4/22

This is a limited series about country singers George Jones and Tammy Wynette. I assume this premieres next year. But, good cast.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/michael...my-1234886652/

EXCLUSIVE: Michael Shannon is closing a deal to join Jessica Chastain in George & Tammy, and John Hillcoat (The Road) is aboard is to direct all six episodes of a limited series on the tempestuous marriage of C&W music couple George Jones and Tammy Wynette.

Production begins Wednesday in North Carolina, and I’m told Shannon will do his own singing to capture the vocals of Jones, and Chastain will do the same in singing the standards of Wynette, who’s best known for her hit “Stand by Your Man.” George & Tammy will premiere exclusively on Spectrum followed by a second window on Paramount+ and the Paramount Network.

Abe Sylvia (Dead to Me) is the show’s creator and EP along with Andrew Lazar (American Sniper), Josh Brolin and Chastain. David C. Glasser, David Hutkin, Ron Burkle and Bob Yari are executive producing through 101 Studios (Yellowstone) along with writer and executive producer Bryan Goluboff. The series is based on the book, The Three of Us: Growing Up with Tammy and George, penned by the couple’s daughter, Georgette Jones. Sylvia and Goluboff wrote the series.

Shannon’s most recent films include
Knives Out and The Shape of Water, and he and Chastain will bring to life the union between a true country music power couple, whose relationship inspired songs such as “We’re Gonna Hold On” and “Golden Ring.” When daughter Georgette was born, she was treated as C&W music loyalty. The family was broken, however. Jones drank, and his marriage to Wynette dissolved six years later. This took a great toll on the couple and the daughter, who was just 4 when her parents split, and had her own problems before finding her own voice felt as an accomplished singer.

dex14 10-06-22 09:52 AM

re: George & Tammy (Showtime) -- Chastain, Shannon, Zahn, Goggins - Limited series - premieres 12/4/22

TomOpus 10-06-22 10:30 AM

re: George & Tammy (Showtime) -- Chastain, Shannon, Zahn, Goggins - Limited series - premieres 12/4/22

Dammit, Paramount.

jpcamb 10-06-22 11:13 AM

Didn't Chastain play Tammy Faye Baker? :whofart: What is going on with her, she is all over the place role-wise these days.

TomOpus 10-06-22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 14173795)
Didn't Chastain play Tammy Faye Baker? :whofart: What is going on with her, she is all over the place role-wise these days.

Maybe she likes to stretch and be challenged? I'm not a big c/w fan so I'm on the fence until I see a trailer. I think I was the only one that liked her as Tammy Faye.

mickey65 10-06-22 03:11 PM

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083121/

Hopefully its better than this god-awful mess...

DJariya 10-06-22 03:14 PM

Spectrum shut down their original programming months ago. So I think this is a solely Paramount plus miniseries now.

TomOpus 10-06-22 06:43 PM

dex14 11-07-22 11:43 AM

Re: George & Tammy (Showtime) -- Chastain, Shannon, Zahn, Goggins - Limited series - premieres 12/4/22

Starring Oscar winner Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye) and Oscar nominee Michael Shannon (Bullet Train), GEORGE & TAMMY chronicles the country music power couple, Tammy Wynette and George Jones, whose complicated-but-enduring relationship inspired some of the most iconic music of all time. Remembered as the “First Lady of Country Music,” Wynette’s most successful song “Stand by Your Man” remains one of the most iconic and best-selling country singles by a female artist. Known for his once-in-a-lifetime voice, George Jones’ song “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” is still widely called the greatest country song of all time. With over 30 number-one country songs between them, including duets “We’re Gonna Hold On,” “Golden Ring” and “Near You,” George and Tammy’s legacy, both musically and romantically, remains one of the greatest love stories ever told.

The series is created by Abe Sylvia (The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Nurse Jackie), directed by John Hillcoat (The Road). The premiere episode of GEORGE & TAMMY will debut simultaneously on SHOWTIME and on the Paramount Network behind Yellowstone commercial free on Sunday, December 4 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

mickey65 11-07-22 03:15 PM

Re: George & Tammy (Showtime) - Chastain, Shannon, Zahn, Goggins - Limited series - premieres 12/4/22

It actually doesn't look too bad. So glad its on Showtime!

Decker 11-07-22 03:21 PM

Re: George & Tammy (Showtime) - Chastain, Shannon, Zahn, Goggins - Limited series - premieres 12/4/22

Michael Shannon was in Bullet Train? I don't remember that already. :lol:

jpcamb 11-08-22 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14188022)
Michael Shannon was in Bullet Train? I don't remember that already. :lol:

He was not really in it until nearly the end and played the big baddie.

Coral 11-08-22 10:12 AM

A Take Shelter reunion of Chastain, Shannon and Mixon.

Weirdly, this has similar vibes to the Tammy Faye movie... and not just because of Chastain playing the lead.

I'll wait for reviews before deciding. The subject matter doesn't interest me much.

Throwing Copper 12-04-22 03:54 PM

Finally premiers tonight. Can’t wait. Not a big country music fan but this will be good.

If you don’t have have Showtime, the first episode is on Paramount Network after Yellowstone tonight on regular cable TV.

MrX 12-04-22 09:05 PM

I thought Chastain was good. I have a hard time buying Shannon as a country singer.

I’m in for the series.

mickey65 12-04-22 11:20 PM

Pretty good start. Their daughter Georgette had put out a statement about the show that said this is mainly a focus on their love story and it wasn't made to have actors that looked and sounded just like them. So you just need to suspend belief as you watch it. I thought it was pretty good. Can't wait for the next episode!

Sonny Corinthos 12-05-22 07:56 AM

I wish I had Showtime, I would really like to see this. My Mom and Dad were huge Country music fans, so I grew up listening to them.

Toddarino 12-05-22 09:05 AM

Well that’s two things on Showtime I want to see but won’t. This and Yellowjackets.

PhantomStranger 12-06-22 01:54 AM

The first episode was a great start.

Shannon Nutt 12-09-22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 14200907)
I thought Chastain was good. I have a hard time buying Shannon as a country singer.

I’m in for the series.

That's interesting, because I thought Chastain was fine...but I thought Shannon was really, really good. I've hard the real Jones's temper could go from 0 to 100 in a second, so Shannon seems like great casting for that. And he can sing too...he may not sound like Jones, but I'll take that over dubbing the songs.

PhantomStranger 12-10-22 01:06 AM

Michael Shannon is a good actor but I'm not sure he was a perfect fit for George Jones. I don't think it will affect the show's quality, however.

PhantomStranger 12-12-22 09:45 PM

Chastain may win an Emmy for this show. The show is built for her and she's killing this role.

TomOpus 12-13-22 08:00 AM

I'm glad I was able to catch the first episode on Prime. Not a big c/w fan so I won't miss not able to watch the entire season since I don't have Showtime.

MrX 12-21-22 09:22 AM

Chastain is really great in this.

I was unsure on Shannon as George Jones after the 1st episode, but he's nailed it since.

mickey65 12-21-22 03:21 PM

Yeah, this is really good. Sad to see how all her medical problems started after she gave birth to Georgette. That was the beginning of the end for her...