Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Hawkeye (S1E04) - "Partners, Am I Right?" - 12/8/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hawkeye (S1E04) - "Partners, Am I Right?" - 12/8/21

Old 12-10-21, 09:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Hawkeye (S1E04) - "Partners, Am I Right?" - 12/8/21

It's a men's Rolex watch, unless it belonged to a brother or father, it being her watch doesn't make much sense to me
Old 12-10-21, 09:31 AM

Received 1,039 Likes on 602 Posts

I'm really enjoying this show. I'm even finding myself watching it as early as possible on premiere days, which I haven't really done before now.

If this is a pass-the-torch series, I can see Kate coming back in a movie or series in a few years more trained up with old man Hawkeye giving sage advice. Like this is her Luke story for Star Wars / Empire Strukes Back and then in a later project we see her as trained Luke in Return of the Jedi.

I think it's 95% the mom and maybe 5% the fiance. I think there's a lot of audience misdirection going on and Jack is a pawn. I also think
Spoiler:
mom killed dad during the New York invasion.

Could this have been a tight 2-hour movie? Maybe, but I like it as a series. It is interesting to think about what can be a series (Eternals? Black Widow?) and what can be a movie (Moon Knight? Hawkeye?) now and still get viewership and make money, either way.

I haven't seen Black Widow yet, just haven't gotten around to it. Does Hawkeye know Yelena?

Edited to add: as for the watch, I think yes, either a set up for someone already announced like Moon Knight or someone who will be a big surprise, like Wonder Man or Squirrel Girl or go way back to Jack of Hearts. Obviously, it's not going to be someone like Namor or Man-Thing or an ensemble character like Mr. Fantastic or a mutant. I have wondered if it's Laura's watch and she's actually a former SHIELD agent.

Last edited by story; 12-10-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-10-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 467 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan View Post
It's a men's Rolex watch, unless it belonged to a brother or father, it being her watch doesn't make much sense to me
Rolex watches don't have specific gender identity. Women wear Day-Date models just as much as men.
Old 12-10-21, 09:59 AM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 12-10-21, 10:01 AM

Received 2,928 Likes on 2,004 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan View Post
It’s not supposed to belong to her. It was taken from the Avenger’s compound and was a part of the black market auction in the first episode.
Old 12-10-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 467 Likes on 341 Posts

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Rodney2187 View Post

Yes, they make different sizes. Crazy enough though, no one is forcing men or woman to buy and wear a specific version. A vintage Day-Date is 36mm which by today's standards is considered women/child size.
Old 12-10-21, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,317 Likes on 2,209 Posts

I like that it's a TV show that feels like a TV show. It has a nice pacing, ends every episode with a kinda cliff hanger. It just works. And it's so much fun. Steinfeld was perfect casting.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (12-10-21)
Old 12-10-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 808 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Edited to add: as for the watch, I think yes, either a set up for someone already announced like Moon Knight or someone who will be a big surprise, like Wonder Man or Squirrel Girl or go way back to Jack of Hearts. Obviously, it's not going to be someone like Namor or Man-Thing or an ensemble character like Mr. Fantastic or a mutant. I have wondered if it's Laura's watch and she's actually a former SHIELD agent.
Jack of Hearts? That's a deep pull! Speaking of Wonder Man, when is he going to show up? Wasn't one Marvel movie supposed to have some Simon Williams movie posters in the background as a Wonder Man tease but were eventually cut from the film?
Old 12-10-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 351 Likes on 271 Posts

Wasn’t one of the iterations of Moon Knight some sort of CIA/government agent? That’s why I’m thinking the watch could possibly belong to him.
Old 12-10-21, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
AFAIK, it wasn't a black widow hit; it's Yelena wanting to kill Clint based on the post-credit scene of Black Widow. Not tied to the program.
Yes, I don't believe it was a Black Widow hit, but I'm also saying that it couldn't be because that program was destroyed by Natasha.
Old 12-11-21, 07:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Yes, I don't believe it was a Black Widow hit, but I'm also saying that it couldn't be because that program was destroyed by Natasha.
It doesn't have to be overtly personal. Someone could have hired a high level assassin via whatever group Valentina (Louise-Dreyfus) is working for, and she chose Yelena knowing she might be more successful with it given the target. Despite pulling off Yelena's mask, Clint doesn't even appear to get a good look at her face before she zaps him.
Old 12-11-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Toonview View Post
It doesn't have to be overtly personal. Someone could have hired a high level assassin via whatever group Valentina (Louise-Dreyfus) is working for, and she chose Yelena knowing she might be more successful with it given the target. Despite pulling off Yelena's mask, Clint doesn't even appear to get a good look at her face before she zaps him.
That's why I'm thinking it could be Wilson Fisk who ordered the hit.
Old 12-11-21, 09:17 PM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I hope we see Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine.
Old 12-12-21, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney2187 View Post
I hope we see Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine.
I love me some JLD, but I could live with never seeing that character again. She sticks out like a sore thumb and just has not fit into the MCU.
Old 12-12-21, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 419 Posts

I'm really enjoying this show. I'm even finding myself watching it as early as possible on premiere days, which I haven't really done before now.

If this is a pass-the-torch series, I can see Kate coming back in a movie or series in a few years more trained up with old man Hawkeye giving sage advice. Like this is her Luke story for Star Wars / Empire Strukes Back and then in a later project we see her as trained Luke in Return of the Jedi.

I think it's 95% the mom and maybe 5% the fiance. I think there's a lot of audience misdirection going on and Jack is a pawn. I also think
Spoiler:

Could this have been a tight 2-hour movie? Maybe, but I like it as a series. It is interesting to think about what can be a series (Eternals? Black Widow?) and what can be a movie (Moon Knight? Hawkeye?) now and still get viewership and make money, either way.

I haven't seen Black Widow yet, just haven't gotten around to it. Does Hawkeye know Yelena?

I’m with you story … it’s my old Laurie Metcalf Theorem … you don’t hire Vera Farmiga to play the mom.

Holy shit that’s a good theory about Laura. It fits perfectly. I always wondered how she was so accepting, but it really set me to thinking why he worked so hard to keep his family hidden, but has her playing “the guy in the chair” back home. I thought maybe it was going to be Nick Fury’s and would somehow prove he is still alive, but I like your theory better.

I like the coffee mug, but I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t have broken it rather than use it.

On that note, did anybody else find the frozen alcohol product placement odd in a Disney series?
Old 12-12-21, 07:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, that's why I thought it was pretty obvious given the scene between Yelena and Elaine Benes.

Also, does the world know that Natasha sacrificed herself? Or do people think Clint killed her?
Old 12-12-21, 08:39 PM

Received 2,928 Likes on 2,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Holy shit that’s a good theory about Laura. It fits perfectly. I always wondered how she was so accepting, but it really set me to thinking why he worked so hard to keep his family hidden, but has her playing “the guy in the chair” back home.
There are theories that she could’ve been Mockingbird in a past life.
Old 12-12-21, 10:57 PM

Received 1,039 Likes on 602 Posts

Oh, I hadn't heard that. Yes, then that's it, that makes sense.
Old 12-13-21, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kennyx View Post
Yeah, that's why I thought it was pretty obvious given the scene between Yelena and Elaine Benes.

Also, does the world know that Natasha sacrificed herself? Or do people think Clint killed her?
I guess they only know what the Avengers PR people, SHIELD, etc, decide to tell the general populous about what happened. People obviously know Clint on the street and thank him, so clearly he has some level of fame.
Old 12-13-21, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 563 Likes on 338 Posts

Spoiler:

I thought this right after the scene and they didn't show what happened. Damn me for thinking the worst of people butttt....
Old 12-13-21, 05:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I guess they only know what the Avengers PR people, SHIELD, etc, decide to tell the general populous about what happened. People obviously know Clint on the street and thank him, so clearly he has some level of fame.
That's why I dont quite understand what they're trying to do here with Yelena (unless she's been living under a rock). I get that end credit scene at the end of Black Widow took place before the events on Vomir. But just wondering how in the marvel universe, they would have explained the deaths (and/or disappearance) of Natasha and Captain America to the rest of the general public. Seeing as they saved the world, and the Avengers are famous (given that broadway play in the first episode), you would think some news about these 2 have come out.

Old 12-13-21, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's why I dont quite understand what they're trying to do here with Yelena (unless she's been living under a rock). I get that end credit scene at the end of Black Widow took place before the events on Vomir. But just wondering how in the marvel universe, they would have explained the deaths (and/or disappearance) of Natasha and Captain America to the rest of the general public. Seeing as they saved the world, and the Avengers are famous (given that broadway play in the first episode), you would think some news about these 2 have come out.
Clint is well known in NYC (for obvious reasons). We don't know how famous he is outside the big cities, but we assume he is- clearly the graffitti "Thanos was right" must mean the powers at large told the general populace a fair amount about what happened, either that or they found out some other way.

Needs to be a conspiracy oriented show set in the MCU. It seems like a massive event like "The Blip" would cause conspiracy theories to run wild.
Old 12-13-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Black Widow stinger takes place after End Game. Yelena does not know the events after her and Natasha split after the main Black Widow movie. She only knows her sister is dead and now she knows who is responsible for her death. Yelena has also been working for Valentina who obviously is creating her own “Avengers” with the recruitment of John Walker as seen in Falcon & The Winter Soldier. Valentina places the blame on Clint and Yelena goes with it.

Since Natasha has kept her personal side private except for moments with Bruce Banner, it stands to reason Clint does not know Yelena. He just sees the costume and assumes it is a Black Widow hit. For all we know, Valentina could have resurrected the Black Widow program. Especially since a Black Widow can be seen in Shang-Chi.

As for Steve, the explanation is he is on the moon. This is mentioned in Falcon & The Winter Soldier a few times. I also believe Wanda Vision references it.
The following users liked this post:
Big Boy Laroux (12-13-21)
Old 12-14-21, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
Black Widow stinger takes place after End Game. Yelena does not know the events after her and Natasha split after the main Black Widow movie. She only knows her sister is dead and now she knows who is responsible for her death. Yelena has also been working for Valentina who obviously is creating her own “Avengers” with the recruitment of John Walker as seen in Falcon & The Winter Soldier. Valentina places the blame on Clint and Yelena goes with it.

Since Natasha has kept her personal side private except for moments with Bruce Banner, it stands to reason Clint does not know Yelena. He just sees the costume and assumes it is a Black Widow hit. For all we know, Valentina could have resurrected the Black Widow program. Especially since a Black Widow can be seen in Shang-Chi.

As for Steve, the explanation is he is on the moon. This is mentioned in Falcon & The Winter Soldier a few times. I also believe Wanda Vision references it.
We don’t know what Valentina’s motives are (yet) and who she works for.