Reload this Page >

Dexter: New Blood - Smoke Signals - (S1E3) - 11/21/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-20-21, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 563 Likes on 459 Posts

Dexter hopes to have a chance to make things right with Harrison, which is proving to be tough to do when thereís a full-fledged crime investigation that Dexter himself has caused.Harrison joins the high school wrestling team and quickly makes a name for himself at school.Meanwhile, a true crime podcaster from LA arrives in Iron Lake and befriends Dexterís police chief girlfriend.
Old 11-21-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Dexter: New Blood - Smoke Signals - (S1E3) - 11/21/21

Well the body isnít a problem anymore. The episode definitely leaves some questions though.

What was Kurt going on about having a FaceTime call with Matt? Obviously he was drunk so he may have been delusional or someone is messing with him.

Also in terms of Harrison- he definitely shows something of a dark side this episode by grabbing that guy by the throat. Also the kid he befriends, Ethan seems to have some of his own issues. Having been bullied he looks to want a revenge.

It also felt a bit like the cop interrogating Dexter may have some questions in his mind about Dexterís story, but he didnít delve too far since theyíre friends. Curious if that will be explored later on. The preview shows a crime scene board with Dexterís face so Iím curious what thatís going to be about.

Also Iím a little sick of Debís portrayal if I'm honest. Sheís too over the top in my opinion. First episode she was pretty subdued, and since sheís more and more crazy. Not sure if thatís intentional after he unleashes his Dark Passenger or what.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-22-21 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 01:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I think we're supposed to be picking up that Kurt is the white mask killer that killed the young woman. So his cabin or shack where all that went down is probably a part of where Angela said they were going to search next. Guessing he went and relieved stress with a kill, celebrated, and decided to say Matt called him so they call off the search / don't find out what he's up to there.

I don't like where the Harrison befriending the bullied kid is going. The Punisher drawing... and what looks to be maybe an active school shooter story line from next week's preview. I hope I'm wrong and just misunderstand the quick clips. But I can certainly see that being the way they reveal more of Harrison's darkness. Seeing what he does during the whole situation when his buddy is killing people.

I agree about Deb. I actually wish they kept Deb this aggressive but had Harry around also. Kind of a good cop bad cop dynamic. I think it would make the aggressive Deb point of view a little easier to accept.

We're three episodes in and it still feels a bit slow to me. I'm enjoying it a lot, but I'm hoping for a bit more intensity and tension here soon.
Old 11-22-21, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Iím not sure if Kurt is the white masked killer or if itís that other guy, Edward Olsen. Maybe both. The way Olsen was talking to Audrey felt like he was trying to lure her into a trap.

I somewhat agree about the pacing. For being three episodes in it doesnít feel like a whole lot has happened in the last two. Hopefully things ramp up.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-22-21 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 07:30 AM

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Also Iím a little sick of Debís portrayal if I'm honest. Sheís too over the top in my opinion. First episode she was pretty subdued, and since sheís more and more crazy. Not sure if thatís intentional after he unleashes his Dark Passenger or what.
I didn't like Deb for the majority of the original show. She was so over the top and annoying.

Didn't think much of this episode.

It looks like they've set up a scapegoat for Dex to pin his murder(s) on. And we have a potential school shooter...

Also, why would Dex go running around through the woods again if he now knows there are thermal cameras? I mean, I know what he was accomplishing, but he will still be on camera again, no?
Old 11-22-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I didn't like Deb for the majority of the original show. She was so over the top and annoying.
Yeah, Deb was an annoying character for much of the original run. As the Dark Passenger though I find her far worse. Itís just such a contrast to how Harry was used in the role.

It could be on purpose though and to show how Dexter used to be more on the ball and collected versus not having killed in ten years and not fully thinking it through but acting out rather quickly.

It looks like they've set up a scapegoat for Dex to pin his murder(s) on. And we have a potential school shooter...
Not sure if I caught the potential scapegoat, unless you mean the white mask killer. Also Iím not really wanting to see the showís take on a school shooter if thatís where things are going with the Ethan character.
Old 11-22-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

Also, why would Dex go running around through the woods again if he now knows there are thermal cameras? I mean, I know what he was accomplishing, but he will still be on camera again, no?
He was noting the locations of the cameras after his initial run-in with them, but yeah it seemed a bit unbelievable that he could run around like a mad man like that and not be on camera somewhere.

Deb is acting like Deb

I enjoyed the episode but this is quickly reminding me how much I'm not used to weekly releases anymore.
Old 11-22-21, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 255 Likes on 210 Posts

Iím not sure if Kurt is the white masked killer or if itís that other guy, Edward Olsen. Maybe both. The way Olsen was talking to Audrey felt like he was trying to lure her into a trap.

I somewhat agree about the pacing. For being three episodes in it doesnít feel like a whole lot has happened in the last two. Hopefully things ramp up.
When they initially showed the killer watching the video monitor, I thought 'Hey, that looks like Clancy Brown,' having forgotten that he was supposed to be in this. That makes me think it is him, although I did wonder about Olsen, during last night's episode.

Dexter may not have shown the greatest judgement, in this season, but I would assume he's smart enough to use the camera blind spots they mentioned.
Old 11-22-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
When they initially showed the killer watching the video monitor, I thought 'Hey, that looks like Clancy Brown,' having forgotten that he was supposed to be in this. That makes me think it is him, although I did wonder about Olsen, during last night's episode.
I was thinking Kurt at first, but he seems obvious. I also wonder if him being named the big bad was a red herring by the creators. Maybe heís the big bad in the sense that he helps to bring Dexter down.

I can sort of see from the first few episodes why reviews were only so-so. It started good with the first episode, but even that was slow, and was only made better by the ending with Dexter unleashing the Dark Passenger. Really hoping things pick up in the second half of the season.

I'm also still wondering if the show is going to be one and done or if it might be back.
Old 11-23-21, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was thinking Kurt at first, but he seems obvious. I also wonder if him being named the big bad was a red herring by the creators.
That would be cheating, because it was definitely Clancy Brown in the camo outfit doing the shooting.
Old 11-23-21, 05:31 AM

Received 117 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
That would be cheating, because it was definitely Clancy Brown in the camo outfit doing the shooting.
That's what I don't get. It was cleary Clancy Brown in the suit, but why hide is face, when it's so obvious? Perhaps the disguise becomes relevant later, but it would definitely be cheating if it's not Brown.
Old 11-23-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe itís two guys. Kurt and Edward. Could also be that theyíre throwing Edward in as a swerve to make people think heís the big bad.
Old 11-23-21, 11:59 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 215 Likes on 130 Posts

Harrison is totally going to encourage/groom nerd kid to go Columbine on that school.
Old 11-23-21, 12:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The embalming scene. Whoever is killing the young girls who have gone missing is keeping them as "trophies" - much like a hunter does with a mounted deer head on a wall...
Old 11-23-21, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Harrison is totally going to encourage/groom nerd kid to go Columbine on that school.
Ugh I hope not. I didnít notice until I went back and rewatched the scene, but Harrison had a smirk on his face rather than looking disturbed.

Wondering if the twist could be Dexter kills Harrison. If Ethan goes crazy because of Harrison that could be fitting of Dexterís code.
Old 11-23-21, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Obviously Harrison's hiding something. He's either a serial killer himself and/or knows that Dexter is one.
Old 11-23-21, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 869 Likes on 632 Posts

A few random thoughts...

Good god, Dexter is sloppy. He's left a body and evidence on his own property. He's running around out in the woods leaving footprints. He's been caught on surveillance cameras.

Not sure how well that incinerator will dispose of bodies. I could see it leaving bones behind, though it would probably destroy any trace evidence tying Dexter to the kill. He still could have been caught on someone's camera going there or leaving.

Our current obsession with surveillance cameras everywhere would make it extremely difficult for Dexter to operate the way he does. He would get picked up by cameras on homes or businesses.

And if that wasn't bad enough for Dexter, there's also Harrison who knows that "Jim" is actually some guy named Dexter living under an assumed name. Not sure if he knows why, but he's come close to letting it slip a couple of times. And if someone would run his fingerprints or face with facial recognition software, then that's going to raise a lot of questions.

We're certainly being led to believe that Kurt is the killer holding girls hostage then hunting them, but I wonder if this isn't some kind of misdirection. Maybe Kurt and the billionaire guy (and others?) have some kind of hunting club.

Definitely something going on with Harrison. He's either a killer himself, or he's going to push that "Punisher" kid to do something.

And then there's Molly, the true crime reporter. She could be trouble, depending on how good she is at her job. What if she starts looking into "Jim" and ties him back to Miami and a string of missing persons and the Bay Harbor Butcher...
Old 11-23-21, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Dexter is incredibly sloppy. I just recently rewatched season one, and in that heís such a different person.

I realize he changed a lot as a character throughout the show, but he was much more careful about how he went about his killings early on.

I thought bringing back Clyde Phillips would help with that, but so far it kind of seems like itís not.
Old 11-24-21, 02:47 AM

Ugh I hope not.
I'm with you. That would ruin the entire season.
Right now it's fun to have Dexter back - didn't even know I'd missed it - but one predictable cliche and the whole thing will fall apart .... like the last few seasons of the original run.
Old 11-24-21, 06:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The show is slowly creeping into the same contrived laziness of the other seasons. The sloppiness extends to Dexter bringing his cellphone everywhere.
Also what nature camera that has sophisticated thermal imaging doesn't also have night vision with clear video? And is it even possible to ID the exact type of rifle from brightly colored blobs half of which blend together?

And the biggest of all was he actually returned to the scene of the crime to drag that coat around. How is that area not completely monitored with additional cameras?

Hard to believe that incinerator is getting rid of bones no matter how high he turned it. And again no cameras on that place? What exactly was it being used for? It's just left open and unattended all day and night?

One other jarring thing was the awful music used while introducing the podcaster. So out of place. And yeah she seems like an obvious device for exposing Dexter's past.
Old 11-24-21, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

I love how Dexter doesn't seem to have concerns on the boot prints or tire tracks he leaves behind everywhere.

Plus, I don't know about anyone else - but I wouldn't be digging up a body in my yard with my son feet away in the cabin. I don't care if he's asleep - I can't trust that he'll remain asleep.
Old 11-25-21, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by philo View Post
And is it even possible to ID the exact type of rifle from brightly colored blobs half of which blend together?
Eh, this one is no worse than enhance, silencers, cars exploding, fingerprint ID'ing and tons of other movie magic stuff.
Old 11-25-21, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by philo View Post
The show is slowly creeping into the same contrived laziness of the other seasons. The sloppiness extends to Dexter bringing his cellphone everywhere.
Agreed. Itís kind of like the show figures weíve already seen a bunch of stupid stuff in the past so no need to try harder this season. I considered cell phone tracking too. Amongst other things like him having easy access to an incinerator with no cameras around (unless theyíre there and that hasnít been shown).

I think at the end of the day even if this is a better wrap up the show probably will never reach the heights it was at for the first four seasons.
Old 11-25-21, 08:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I think at the end of the day even if this is a better wrap up the show probably will never reach the heights it was at for the first four seasons.
I'm not as down on the sloppiness and contrivances as a few of the posts here are, but I definitely agree with this quote. To be fair to the original show runner, how can you reach those heights keeping seasons 5-8 as canon? They did some awful story telling with really bad payoffs. Keeping yourself locked into those choices only leaves so high for you to climb. I fully realized that coming into this season tho, so maybe that's why my expectations were a bit more realistic.
Old 11-25-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew they wouldnít realistically do it, but I really, really wish the show would have retconned seasons five through eight.

There was a really good consistency those first four seasons, and thereís so much baggage in those last four seasons that drag the show down so much.