The Amazing Race (CBS) — Season 33 — Premieres 1/5/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race (CBS) — Season 33 — Premieres 1/5/22

Old 01-21-22, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race (CBS) — Season 33 — Premieres 1/5/22

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
There were signs on the busses: 3 max, 2 max, 4 max.

I assume the 2 max left as soon as two teams were on then 3 max then 4 max. But like taxis and local drivers, bus drivers can drive faster ot slower. Which would kill any lead time and have the busses arrive close to the same time at once.
Plus, they had to wait on the requisite number of teams to leave. If one of the teams had gotten lost for an hour, the bus would have had to wait on them and left an hour later than the others, with more than one team onboard.
The following users liked this post:
emachine12 (01-21-22)
Old 01-26-22, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

Phil asking Raquel and Cayla what rank they were hoping to be - “any place but last” - as another team arrives after them and is standing next to them
Old 01-26-22, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I used to think based on the editing over the years that luck had a big part in this but after these two last episodes I think this is very little luck and mostly skill.

Akbar and Sheri are my favorite team although why on earth would they pick something physical.
Old 01-27-22, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Here are the reasons why the other teams did not return:

https://parade.com/1326105/mikebloom...eave-2022/amp/

High five to whoever here called the breakup of the Love Island couple.

As for tonight… damn Arun and Natalia need to learn how to navigate. They keep going the wrong way every time.
MLBFan24 (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that was the dam from Goldeneye. Then on second watch, I saw the 007 bungy banner. Cool.
Old 01-27-22, 09:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
Here are the reasons why the other teams did not return:

https://parade.com/1326105/mikebloom...eave-2022/amp/

High five to whoever here called the breakup of the Love Island couple.

As for tonight… damn Arun and Natalia need to learn how to navigate. They keep going the wrong way every time.
you know the father/daughter team were hours and hours behind when the greeter at the pitstop had to leave!
emachine12 (01-28-22)
Old 01-27-22, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 473 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
you know the father/daughter team were hours and hours behind when the greeter at the pitstop had to leave!
One wonders just far far back they were. I’m sure they have spotters tracking them by GPS and can say, “Phil, come back from the hotel—they’re half a mile away!”
emachine12 (01-28-22)
Old 01-27-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was waiting for Phil to greet them at the detour and said don't even bother you're done.
emachine12 (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I was waiting for Phil to greet them at the detour and said don't even bother you're done.
I actually expected the route info before the detour was going to tell them to go to the pit stop. I’ve seen that before and it is sad. You can see the look of absolute defeat in the racers’ faces after they read it.
Old 01-28-22, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Didn't I hear that they are leaving in "groups" again? Time gaps apparently make no difference any more since the restart. They could have finished days after the others and it would have made no difference in when they started the next leg. I guess they aren't flying much so they have to bunch them up somehow.

I suppose if it wasn't a non-elimination leg Phil would have shown up, but since it wasn't it had to play out. It would have been amusing to see them realize it and start taking sightseeing side trips and stopping for long, leisurely meals at restaurants while cameras waited at the mat.
Old 01-29-22, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Didn't I hear that they are leaving in "groups" again? Time gaps apparently make no difference any more since the restart. They could have finished days after the others and it would have made no difference in when they started the next leg. I guess they aren't flying much so they have to bunch them up somehow.
They leave in order of arrival from the pit stop but depart to the challenge in groups. It was groups of two this past leg so it was a race with challenges. If they all left together, Arun and Natalia would have someone to follow.

I’m assuming the leave in groups thing allows teams to do the requisite COVID checks and also provides the host country a bit of relief knowing only so many foreign people are running around.
Old 02-02-22, 11:28 PM

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone. I remember that a speed bump wasn’t mentioned at the end of the last episode, but was surprised and kind of disappointed that a speed bump did not appear for the father/daughter team. Not cool.

EDIT - I see on Natalia’s Twitter they had to do a cabbage bowling speed bump during Leg 4 (the first episode after the break) but it was edited out of the episode. Strange. I wonder if they had to do another speed bump for Leg 6 and it was edited out too.

EDIT again - Natalia responded to my Twitter message - no speed bump for Leg 6. Leaving last (in their own group) from the pit stop was the "speed bump".

But Raquel and Cayla still rockin’…. Hell yea!

The guys messing with the cheese temperature was funny. Let me guess, they keep opening the oven door to check on food when they’re baking stop doing that!

And I could have sworn I’ve seen this roadblock before, or this excursion on another TV show? Looks cool.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 02-03-22 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-03-22, 09:55 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone. I remember that a speed bump wasn’t mentioned at the end of the last episode, but was surprised and kind of disappointed that a speed bump did not appear for the father/daughter team. Not cool.

EDIT - I see on Natalia’s Twitter they had to do a cabbage bowling speed bump during Leg 4 (the first episode after the break) but it was edited out of the episode. Strange. I wonder if they had to do another speed bump for Leg 6 and it was edited out too.

EDIT again - Natalia responded to my Twitter message - no speed bump for Leg 6. Leaving last (in their own group) from the pit stop was the "speed bump".

But Raquel and Cayla still rockin’…. Hell yea!

The guys messing with the cheese temperature was funny. Let me guess, they keep opening the oven door to check on food when they’re baking stop doing that!

And I could have sworn I’ve seen this roadblock before, or this excursion on another TV show? Looks cool.
yeah a speed bump up because they were hours and hours behind the other teams but got to start only 30(?) minutes after the other group. I would be mad if I was Akbar and Sherri that ended up eliminated
MLBFan24 (02-03-22)
Old 02-04-22, 09:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't wait until the U-Turn comes so everyone jumps on the Alpha Male team. They might have a shot at getting rid of them with it now that they are no longer first team. The other teams just have to keep them behind them or the U-turn won't work.
Rooting for the flight attendants who always seem to be having a good time no matter what is going on.
Old 02-04-22, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
yeah a speed bump up because they were hours and hours behind the other teams but got to start only 30(?) minutes after the other group. I would be mad if I was Akbar and Sherri that ended up eliminated
The show has always managed around the teams that are "hours and hours" behind. Usually it's with a "opens at 9:00 AM" location. They just subbed that with staggered the start times.
Old 02-04-22, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

At least Akbar and Shari are gone before one of them died on the race. Seriously, why would you cast two woefully out of shape people for this and, conversely, why didn't they spend that 18 month grace period getting in better condition since by then they knew what they were up against?
Old 02-04-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
why didn't they spend that 18 month grace period getting in better condition since by then they knew what they were up against?
What do you mean? Didn't you hear Akbar saying on multiple occasions that they are former athletes, and Sherie was just being slow for no reason?
chowderhead (02-04-22)
Old 02-04-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 473 Likes on 393 Posts

Not really feeling this season. It doesn’t help that my game contestants got eliminated quickly, but I don’t really like any of the teams other than the youtubers. The flight attendants are ok, I guess. I did sit up and pay attention when the bros fell behind, though. I’m glad someone pointed the absurdity of them taking their shirts off.

And yeah, no speed bump was lame.
Old 02-04-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I’m glad someone pointed the absurdity of them taking their shirts off.
That was the most hilarious part of the season to date. Even the "welcome" guy at the mat with Phil was in on it.

I'm enjoying the season though it seems there's a few teams who don't stand a chance. It was no surprise to see the couple going home this time and while the father/daughter stepped up their game during this leg, it would surprise me if they lasted very long.
Old 02-05-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted some more Amazing Race so I'm watching Season 27 (no untagged spoilers please) and

Spoiler:

When they spit water on their faces as part of the welcome ceremony it was a reminder how much we have lost because of the pandemic.

Old 02-09-22, 11:13 PM

Lol, lucky lucky team. Fortunately, they are likeable.

Raquel and Cayla on fire. Not first, but looking strong.

I can’t remember where I’ve seen the maggot cheese before. I definitely remember it at a beginning of a movie. Don’t remember what movie. And another time during a travel documentary. I do remember that it’s illegal in the US.

The best strategy is probably to eat the maggot cheese first and “wash” it down with the normal tasting bread.
Old 02-10-22, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know they are doing what they have to do because of COVID but something is missing. The fatigue factor. Without having to be crammed into flights, sleep on trains & airports they seem to fresh every leg. They need more continue racing legs to bring that back in somehow.
Old 02-10-22, 09:01 AM

Regarding fatigue, there seems to be a lot more “racing uphill” tasks.

I like “must go to pit stop by foot” clues since it seems tiring for the teams to freak out trying to find the pit stop and race to it with their heavy backpacks.
Old 02-10-22, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

This season sucks and this might have been the worst episode ever in this series. Follow each other around in cars and then follow each other around in the tasks.

I realize that there are some limitations because of COVID, but I would hope they would have been a little creative and thought of ways to make it exciting and challenging in spite of that. If there are travel limitations, then give them more opportunities when they get to the destination to separate themselves by performing well. How about some harder challenges. At least find a way to spread them out and give them an incentive NOT to work together and NOT to follow each other. I guess having them leave the pit stop in groups is because of COVID (although this does not really make sense to me), but if you are going to do that, give them an incentive to hustle their asses along and be the first to get to the challenge and to try to leave other teams behind.

The father/daughter team is awful and that they keep getting chance after chance is stupid. They are lucky they were able to follow other cars in this episode. They are in no way a good team and I hope they do not luck their way into the final. It would be very lame if they end up winning the whole thing because of multiple chances and because a much stronger team, who has been performing well on the whole, happens to have one falter at the end. That should not be able to happen. You should have to be at least reasonably competent throughout to have a chance to win.
Old 02-10-22, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post

The father/daughter team is awful and that they keep getting chance after chance is stupid. They are lucky they were able to follow other cars in this episode. They are in no way a good team and I hope they do not luck their way into the final. It would be very lame if they end up winning the whole thing because of multiple chances and because a much stronger team, who has been performing well on the whole, happens to have one falter at the end. That should not be able to happen. You should have to be at least reasonably competent throughout to have a chance to win.
But that would be my stratagy if I was on a good team husband/wife, the bros, get the father/daughter in to the final. Keep a awful team in it to make my chances of winning better.
chowderhead (02-12-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.