DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SNL 11/06/21 (S47E05) — H: Kieran Culkin - MG: Ed Sheeran (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/654159-snl-11-06-21-s47e05-%97-h-kieran-culkin-mg-ed-sheeran.html)

Josh-da-man 11-08-21 11:29 PM

Re: SNL 11/06/21 (S47E05) — H: Kieran Culkin - MG: Ed Sheeran

I'm not sure what the point of "Goober the Clown" was... probably need to watch it again... was Cecily Strong trying to say she got abortion when she was 23? Seemed like it went over my head...

But it triggered the fuck of places like Fox News and National Review. :lol:

mike7162 11-09-21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 14008436)
That Trump impression is so good that it's actually not funny - the writing has to do all the work.

I thought the same - it was too good. It was more a recreation than an impersonation.

Count Dooku 11-09-21 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14009367)
I'm not sure what the point of "Goober the Clown" was... probably need to watch it again... was Cecily Strong trying to say she got abortion when she was 23? Seemed like it went over my head...

The point was that despite its legality for 50 years, there is still a stigma surrounding abortion. And in that atmosphere, women are too afraid or embarrassed or too ashamed to speak openly about their own experiences with a legal medical procedure. As a result, people in power, who are mostly men, can spin the debate and twist the facts (for example, the lie that the six week Texas law means that a woman has six weeks after she learns that she is pregnant). Strong was satirizing the real situation that the people who have the most relevant opinions of abortion are kept silent because real experiences with abortion are shunned from the conversation. So, in the "spoon full of sugar" tradition, she presented the absurdity that by she could only "get real" about one of the most serious experiences a woman can ever face by acting like a clown.

Count Dooku 11-09-21 09:46 AM

I literally just saw Pete Davidson on TV, which made me think if this.

Pete can come out on WU, as himself, and talk about his struggles with depression, and even his thoughts about suicide, and no one judges him for that, They might hate him for other reasons, but he only gets sympathy for his problems.

Could Cecily Strong have come out, as herself, and talked about getting an abortion when she was younger (and I don't know if she did) and received across the board sympathy and understanding? Or would there be protesters outside 30 Rock everyday demanding that she be fired? Would the details of her situation when she was 23 be pored over, and perhaps she would be slut-shamed?

That's part of the point.

fujishig 11-09-21 10:26 AM

I feel like the audience that would support Pete would also support Cecily. The people that would be up in arms about Cecily wouldn't have the exact same reaction about Pete, but they would almost certainly judge him as "weak." But you're right in that they wouldn't have the pitchforks out like they do with abortion. From their (twisted) point of view one is essentially murder (or something), the other is a dude who can't "be a real man."

Count Dooku 11-09-21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 14009509)
I feel like the audience that would support Pete would also support Cecily. The people that would be up in arms about Cecily wouldn't have the exact same reaction about Pete, but they would almost certainly judge him as "weak." But you're right in that they wouldn't have the pitchforks out like they do with abortion. From their (twisted) point of view one is essentially murder (or something), the other is a dude who can't "be a real man."

Given his track record with the ladies, I would love to be in the same Man class as Pete.

bluesix 11-09-21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14009367)

The point of it was that there is large portion of our population in this country who think women are clowns, in other words, too silly to be trusted to make an important decision like what to do with their own bodies.

She also emphasized the point that this was something that happened long ago when she was 23 and it should not be stigmatized because if a woman/clown decides she wants to terminate her pregnancy she is going to do it whether its legal or not.

I thought it was clever but not as amazing and 'classic' as some of the media outlets were reporting.

On the other hand its Cecily Strong who is HILARIOUS and can do no wrong. The only reason she hasn't become a bigger star already is because Kate McKinnon is on the show with her. She's also very beautiful which doesn't hurt either.

RichC2 11-10-21 05:11 PM

For the curious, Cecily more or less confirmed she was taking about herself: https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...it/6349668001/

Count Dooku 11-10-21 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 14010209)
For the curious, Cecily more or less confirmed she was talking about herself: https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...it/6349668001/

I thought the piece was not as effective as it could have been because her energy was amped to almost a frantic level, so that explains that. It wasn't just some written monologue material for her to deliver. It was very interesting that Colin addressed her as Cecily during the piece, telling her she didn't have to continue.

It would be fascinating to see how women who have had an abortion reacted to it in real-time, but of course, part of her point is that women don't reveal that they have had an abortion.

joltman 11-12-21 07:34 AM

So I watch an, er, downloaded version of the show, and there was like four times where there just a still of Culkin or Sheeran with music playing that went on for like a couple minutes. Was there stuff that would have been cut between when it aired live and when it was released to the web?