Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

History of the World Part II - Variety Series Ordered at Hulu, Mel Brooks to Write and EP

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

History of the World Part II - Variety Series Ordered at Hulu, Mel Brooks to Write and EP

Old 10-18-21, 03:07 PM

Received 1,771 Likes on 1,222 Posts

“History of the World, Part I” is finally getting a Part II, with Hulu ordering a variety series followup to the classic Mel Brooks comedy film, Variety has learned exclusively.

“History of the World, Part II” is described as a sequel to the 1981 film. The film was made up of segments set during different periods of world history. Among those was the Stone Age, Ancient Rome, and the French Revolution. Like most of Brooks’ work, it also featured musical numbers, including one about the Spanish Inquisition and, of course, “Jews in Space.”

Brooks is a writer and executive producer on the series along with Nick Kroll, Wanda Sykes, Ike Barinholtz, David Stassen and Kevin Salter. There is no word yet on which world events the series will cover. Hulu has ordered eight episodes of the show. The writers room is beginning in October with production slated to begin in Spring 2022.

“I can’t wait to once more tell the real truth about all the phony baloney stories the world has been conned into believing are History!” Brooks said.

Brooks, a comedy legend and EGOT winner, wrote and directed “History of the World, Part I” in addition to appearing onscreen in five different roles. Those included King Louis XVI and his piss boy doppleganger as well as the stand up philosopher Comicus. The film also featured stars like Gregory Hines, Dom De Luise, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman, Cloris Leachman, and many more.

Brooks’ comedy films are consistently ranked among the best of all time, such as “Blazing Saddles,” “Young Frankenstein,” “The Producers,” and “Spaceballs.” He later adapted both “The Producers” and “Young Frankenstein” as critically-acclaimed stage musicals. He has also produced several hit films, most notably David Lynch’s “The Elephant Man.”

He is repped by CAA.

Kroll previously created and starred in the Comedy Central sketch series “Kroll Show” and currently stars in the hit Netflix animated comedy series “Big Mouth,” which he co-created. Sykes is a world-renowned stand up comedian, writer and actress, known for roles in shows like “The New Adventures of Old Christine,” “Black-ish,” “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” and the current Netflix series “The Upshaws.” Barinholtz previously wrote for and starred in “The Mindy Project” and has starred in shows like “Madtv,” “The League” (along with Kroll), and “Bless the Harts.” Stassen also wrote for “The Mindy Project” and recently re-teamed with Barinholtz as writers on the Netflix animated series “Chicago Party Aunt.” Salter is Brooks’ producing partner, having worked with him on projects like “Mel Brooks Live at the Geffen” and “Young Frankenstein Live.”

Kroll is repped by UTA, Rise and Schreck/Rose/Dapello. Sykes is repped by ICM and Roger Pliakas.
Barinholtz is repped by UTA, Artists First, Kovert Creative, and Morris Yorn. Stassen is repped by UTA, Mosaic and Morris Yorn.

Salter is repped by CAA.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/his...es-1235091840/
Old 10-18-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: History of the World Part II - Variety Series Ordered at Hulu, Mel Brooks to Write and EP

I've been waiting 40 years for "Hitler on Ice" and "Jews in Space".
The following 3 users liked this post by mwbmis:
devilshalo (10-18-21), John Pannozzi (10-26-21), Red Dog (10-18-21)
Old 10-18-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Re: History of the World Part II - Variety Series Ordered at Hulu, Mel Brooks to Write and EP

The film also featured stars like Gregory Hines, Dom De Luise, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman, Cloris Leachman, and many more.
Mel outlived his entire starring cast.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (10-18-21)
Old 10-18-21, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 581 Likes on 441 Posts

Well, this could be something. Not sure what, but it certainly could be something.
John Pannozzi (10-26-21)
Old 10-18-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

It's weird. As a person I find Mel Brooks to be very funny. His movies never click with me though.
Old 10-19-21, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
It's weird. As a person I find Mel Brooks to be very funny. His movies never click with me though.
Interesting because I feel the opposite way. I think he's a fantastic comedy writer but tries too hard to be funny whenever he does an interview. I still adore the man though. It's going to be a sad day when he's gone.
Old 10-19-21, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Well, this could be something. Not sure what, but it certainly could be something.
If it is anything like Spaceballs: The Animated Series, it won’t be a good something.
Old 10-20-21, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Unfortunately I have a feeling this is going to be very dated and unfunny, just like some of Carl Reiner's last works.
Old 10-20-21, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 973 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Unfortunately I have a feeling this is going to be very dated and unfunny, just like some of Carl Reiner's last works.
Agreed. I like Mel Brooks movies but I suspect this won’t be very funny. Outdated, old Jewish Comedian schtick typically doesn’t work, for me at least.

That being said, even though I didn’t think History of the World: Part One is particularly great - I place it with Brooks’ lesser movies - I am happy to see them make Part 2 before he passes. Though, they better get a move on…
John Pannozzi (10-26-21)