Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

That ‘90s Show (Netflix) - sequel series with Kitty and Red - premieres 1/19/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

That ‘90s Show (Netflix) - sequel series with Kitty and Red - premieres 1/19/23

Old 01-23-23, 06:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: That ‘90s Show (Netflix) - sequel series with Kitty and Red - premieres 1/19/23

Just pair this up with Fresh Off the Boat and Young Sheldon and you're good to go!
Old 01-23-23, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Re: That ‘90s Show (Netflix) - sequel series with Kitty and Red - premieres 1/19/23

I also thought it was dumb that the Kelso's live very close by (and in a small town) while Red and Kitty have no idea about them anymore.
And it seems like they haven't seen Leo since the 70s... and lost track of Fez as well?

Only 4 episodes in, but no mention of Hyde at all or Laurie.

The Asian kid is annoying, and the kids acting still feel like they're on a 90's TGIF show.

Old 01-24-23, 05:18 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
or Laurie.
The neighbor almost felt as a stand in for Laurie.
Old 01-24-23, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
The neighbor almost felt as a stand in for Laurie.
Yeah, I was thinking that as well.
They can't totally rely on Red/Kitty (outside of the kids), so they need another side character for the show.

I'm 6 episodes in and Bob made an appearance. I was surfing while watching so I may have missed it, but they didn't mention Midge? In fact, the way Bob talked was as if Midge was totally out of the picture (dead, divorced?).
Old 01-24-23, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.

I'm 6 episodes in and Bob made an appearance. I was surfing while watching so I may have missed it, but they didn't mention Midge? In fact, the way Bob talked was as if Midge was totally out of the picture (dead, divorced?).
I don't remember her being mentioned. They got divorced on the original show.
Old 01-24-23, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember her being mentioned. They got divorced on the original show.
Oh, I don't remember that. Although if they got divorced in the final season - that could be why I missed it as I think I only saw one or two episodes when Eric left and just watched the finale.

So Jackie's back up to the top of the rotation now. Kelso, Hyde, Fez and now back to Kelso.

I forgot, is Kelso's kid from him and Jackie... or is it the kid he shared with the American Pie chick?
Old 01-24-23, 10:49 AM

Oh, I don't remember that. Although if they got divorced in the final season - that could be why I missed it as I think I only saw one or two episodes when Eric left and just watched the finale.

So Jackie's back up to the top of the rotation now. Kelso, Hyde, Fez and now back to Kelso.

I forgot, is Kelso's kid from him and Jackie... or is it the kid he shared with the American Pie chick?
She left series and the divorce stuff happened off screen midseries. Bob just dealt with it and eventually dated Jackie's mom.

Kelso had a daughter previously, this kid is with Jackie.
Old 01-24-23, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

I did not want to comment again and feel like I am spamming this thread, but I was easily able to not get distracted by some of the less than stellar acting/line readings from the kids and just enjoy the series as a fun glimpse of how life shook out for some beloved characters from That 70s Show.

It only took me 2 days to finish this up and say to myself that I would absolutely be down for more episodes so hopefully it is picked up. If it is picked up, I will not be shocked if the 2nd season is as far as we get with this show given how often Netflix cancels a show in its second season.

I enjoyed the cameo bits, and in fairness to the kids, at times there were moments where if felt to me that their acting chops were progressing as we went further into the show. I just did not loathe any particular character, even the Asian kid who had some good lines. I probably already said this in an earlier post, but this was a nice light and easy breezy watch.
The following users liked this post:
Red Dog (01-25-23)
Old 01-24-23, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She left series and the divorce stuff happened off screen midseries. Bob just dealt with it and eventually dated Jackie's mom.
I may have missed more episodes than I originally thought... or took too many kicks to the head as a youngin.

Kelso had a daughter previously, this kid is with Jackie.
Ah, I knew he had a first kid - couldn't remember anything more about that.
Old 01-24-23, 12:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

Not even, because this takes place in the summer of 95. It doesn't make sense that Eric & Donna and Kelso and Jackie have children this age by the summer of 95. But the show, like most sitcoms, always played it loose with the timeline.
IIRC Kelso and Jackie weren't even together at the end of the original series, she kissed Fez in the finale.
Old 01-24-23, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
IIRC Kelso and Jackie weren't even together at the end of the original series, she kissed Fez in the finale.
Yes, they weren't together.
Old 01-24-23, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX

Its been 20 years.
Old 01-30-23, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought it was fun. Red and Kitty definitely carried the show, though Fez did a pretty good job too. The kids weren't great, but I thought they got better as the show went on. I'd watch another season.
Old 02-01-23, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Overall this was fun. I absolutely loved the legacy characters. Seeing what they've been up to and just seeing them on screen in the exquisitely redone set was great. Kitty and Red are really the heart of the show and did such an amazing job. They both look great too. Fez was hilarious as always. Good seeing that episode with Bob. Great seeing Kelso and Jackie even if just for a tiny cameo.

Then there's the rest of the cast...I don't know. They were ok and maybe even good in a vacuum. But hold them up to the OG 70's show characters/actors and they just don't hold up. Yeah that might be unfair but it's the creator's fault when they've created characters that are exact mirror characters of the OG cast. The annoying Asian kid is the Fez replacement. The girlfriend is the Jackie. And they have an actual Kelso and Foreman. I think they're all pretty terrible. I mean they're doing as good of a job as they can but they just don't fit. Maybe miscast is a better term.

Watched the first two episodes. With the exception of Leia, and maybe the girl next door - I'm not liking the other kids. They come off as kids in a nickelodeon show with their acting.

Eric definitely looks like he hasn't aged. That may be partly due to him having the same haircut/wig from the 70s. Even his clothes don't look much different either.

Red and Kitty are carrying this show.
I think this is the crux of the problem. The kids are just way too young. Whenever the show focuses on them it's like a Disney series. Even the writing is all over the place. The kids are dealing with their first kiss but they're doing drugs too? That's just really bizzare. The tone was just all over the place. I much prefer them being older like with the OG crew. I don't care if they were a lot older then the characters they were playing. Sitcoms aren't supposed to be realistic.
Old 02-03-23, 12:25 PM

Renewed for a 16 episode second season: https://tvline.com/2023/02/03/that-9...s-show-reboot/
The following users liked this post:
miller_time22 (02-03-23)
Old 02-03-23, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Sweet! Kind of surprised considering the middling numbers its been pulling on their Top 10 chart, but it's probably relatively inexpensive and might pull a demo they're lacking.
Old 03-16-23, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Just finished this up.
light nd easy is a good description.

Most of the kids grew on me.

Red and Kitty are perfect.

The sets were great.

Look forward to the next season.