The Goldbergs (ABC) - Season 9

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Goldbergs (ABC) - Season 9

Old 05-12-22, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: The Goldbergs (ABC) - Season 9

Originally Posted by Paff
Remember last year when Geoff proposed to Erica on an east coast beach, with the sun setting?

Jeff Garlin isn't coming back, so we already know Murray won't be there.

Its very possible they filmed his scenes for the finale before he was fired. They tacked on 4 extra episodes after, and those were already aired. Next week is technically episode 18 “filmed”.

but they can still add ghost Jeff in.
Old 05-12-22, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

Y'know how they always have that shot of the station wagon running the stop sign?

They could have the car get in a terrible accident when Murray is supposed to be driving it. He puts his face threw the windshield, and has to be bandaged up. Then, next season they explain that he has had plastic surgery. They remove the bandages and it is a new actor playing Murray.

Old 05-12-22, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I understand that questioning the timeline of this show rankles some people's shackles, but WTF happened last night?
While I've accepted the timeline of the show is simply "the 80's" and they don't follow the order of real life events - they should at least be consistent with the events the show itself lays out.
In Season 4 Gimbels was going out of business (it was a major storyline of the episode), and then last night they go shopping... at Gimbels.

The Murray stuff is always comical.

One more episode left and then I'll have closure on the series.
Old 05-12-22, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

They should just give Patton Oswalt a few extra bucks to get made up to look like Murray and do an occasional scene.
Old 05-12-22, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Yeah, that was very jarring, but my understanding is this and next week we’re filmed as Jeff was being fired (the extra 4 episodes without him already aired out of order) . I have a feeling they have to make some weird edits to the storyline to get this to work.

But I also thought it was a really funny episode.
I just caught up with the episode tonight, and yes, it was far better than anything they've done recently. Best line goes to a non-regular though. "You know that song 'Like A Virgin'? Well she sure screwed me on the ticket prices."

Originally Posted by Coral
While I've accepted the timeline of the show is simply "the 80's" and they don't follow the order of real life events - they should at least be consistent with the events the show itself lays out.
In Season 4 Gimbels was going out of business (it was a major storyline of the episode), and then last night they go shopping... at Gimbels.
And I'd draw attention to the fact that Adam was playing an Atari 2600 when it's been established in many older episodes that he was a Nintendo fan. No one would go back to the 2600 after using an NES.
Old 05-12-22, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This guy needs a job
Old 05-13-22, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,261 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Was that a still image of Murray sleeping?
Personally I love this stuff. I wish they'd throw him in every episode sleeping or just sitting and watching TV with a big grin on his face while others are having a conversation all around him. I mean it's a comedy that's never taken itself seriously so I'd have had a lot more fun with it.
Old 05-13-22, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

had to see if I'd already posted this image, and apparently I haven't. So....

Old 05-13-22, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by General Zod
Personally I love this stuff. I wish they'd throw him in every episode sleeping or just sitting and watching TV with a big grin on his face while others are having a conversation all around him. I mean it's a comedy that's never taken itself seriously so I'd have had a lot more fun with it.
I imagine they have ti pay him every time they do this (after this season), so they will probably stop doing that next year.
Old 05-13-22, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I imagine they have ti pay him every time they do this (after this season), so they will probably stop doing that next year.
Absolutely.. that's why I wrote that I wish they had done it.. not that I wish they would. The time has passed.. I'm sure after this season we'll never see any sign of him again.
Old 05-13-22, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by General Zod
Absolutely.. that's why I wrote that I wish they had done it.. not that I wish they would. The time has passed.. I'm sure after this season we'll never see any sign of him again.
They could have him moving to take care of his sick Dad or something. It's a sitcom, who cares.
Old 05-13-22, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, if they really want to relive the 80s, why not a Very Special Episode where Murray dies? It'll be right up there with Arnold getting molested by Mr. Carlson from WKRP, Kimberly developing bulimia, Alex Keaton's friend dying, Jessie getting hooked on amphetamines, Matthew Perry dying after a DUI accident, Natalie getting assaulted, Edith getting raped, the WKRP staff promoting a Who concert where 11 people die, etc etc.
Old 05-13-22, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, if they really want to relive the 80s, why not a Very Special Episode where Murray dies? It'll be right up there with Arnold getting molested by Mr. Carlson from WKRP, Kimberly developing bulimia, Alex Keaton's friend dying, Jessie getting hooked on amphetamines, Matthew Perry dying after a DUI accident, Natalie getting assaulted, Edith getting raped, the WKRP staff promoting a Who concert where 11 people die, etc etc.
If they're going to do something like that, then they should go dark with it.

Murray was murdered by the father of a kid who Murray was molesting while on one of his furniture convention trips.
Old 05-13-22, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

They could have him moving to take care of his sick Dad or something. It's a sitcom, who cares.
Yeah but I'd actually prefer SOME closure on that character. It's supposed to be the Goldbergs and he's the father.. it's just seems weird he's suddenly absent. And yeah it's a sitcom but hard to really get rid of someone in a funny way.. But next week is Adam's graduation and it could be used as a good timeline to start next season with the ripped off band-aid approach of just saying "When Dad died last summer after the graduation..." and just get it out of the way.
Old 05-13-22, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I'd do (and probably get fired as a result) if I were a writer for The Goldbergs is do an episode where they spoof Very Special Episodes, as they were indeed big in the 80s. Then end it with Beverly calling in Adam and saying "sit down Adam, we need to talk about your father". Fade to black, credits.
Old 05-13-22, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since we are spit balling, another outside the box solution to The Murray Problem would have been to tell whoever was complaining about Garlin to piss off and grow up.
Old 05-13-22, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Since we are spit balling, another outside the box solution to The Murray Problem would have been to tell whoever was complaining about Garlin to piss off and grow up.
Cant offend anyone. I heard he farted and didn’t apologize for it and many people complained and called the President
Old 05-18-22, 07:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

Watching to see how they’re going to shoehorn Murray into the episode is more entertaining than the show itself. They did a real sloppy job with the edits because the chair next to Bev was empty whenever they did the overhead shot from behind the audience. And he completely disappeared when Erica announced she was pregnant.
Old 05-18-22, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it was nice to have some cameos from Garlin.

Although a couple shots looked legit - one with Murray standing next to Bev and then later hugging Bev. Was that taken from a previous episode or deleted scene or was that some camera trickery?
It was definitely dumb that Erica announces she's pregnant and Murray isn't around (or is but isn't interested) - depending on whether you think he's still there or not. And dumb that Erica doesn't tell Geoff before telling her mom.

This was a good way to end the series. Nope - there won't be any more seasons. If I ignore them, then they won't exist.
Old 05-19-22, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was actually another strong episode.

The reverse fight with Erica and Geoff was clever.

I plan on using Barry's "Let me stop you right there" when someone's talking, even though there's no follow up.

And finally, was this a double entendre?:
Erica: Barry's really rubbing off on her
Joanne: Yeah he is.
Old 05-19-22, 12:05 PM
Suspended

It was actually another strong episode.

The reverse fight with Erica and Geoff was clever.

I plan on using Barry's "Let me stop you right there" when someone's talking, even though there's no follow up.

And finally, was this a double entendre?:
Erica: Barry's really rubbing off on her
Joanne: Yeah he is.
Yep, another great episode. Keep this going into season 10.
Old 05-19-22, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Technically possible if they were at, say, Sunset Beach in Cape May.
Good call on that, by the way. I remember as a kid taking the Cape May-Lewes ferry.

Here is indeed a west-facing beach in New Jersey:

Google - Google Maps