Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville: New Horizons (Hulu) -- premieres 6/2/22

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Orville: New Horizons (Hulu) -- premieres 6/2/22

His role was pretty limited, it was more a Claire/Kelly episode than anything. It kind of felt like a reunion special that would air after a show has been off the air for a few years.

That Isaac is certainly quite the wordsmith.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-05-22 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-05-22)
Old 08-05-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Tanman, great rundown of fun bits on the episode, but you left out one of the best ones, when Klyden and Bortus are chasing each other in the forest, I love the bit where Bortus (at least I think it was Bortus) turns around just to notice that Klyden is throwing a big ass boulder at him and scampers away in glee, that still makes me chuckle as I type this out. The Moclan ritual to reconnect is shall we say, interesting.

If this was indeed the end it put a smile on my face and I am not overly bummed out if it is not picked up for another season.
Old 08-05-22, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Skip to 1:10

Old 08-05-22, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I get an error.
Old 08-05-22, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
What a perfect way to end the season with Gordon singing. I really love Scott Grime's voice.
I didn't notice it before but I got a James Taylor vibe.
Old 08-05-22, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yup, I thought the same thing
Old 08-05-22, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Great, enjoyable, and peaceful finale. Needed that after episode 9.

Great cameo near the end, some sweet moments, fun comical bits, and nice song to close it out.

Love it. Hoping for a season 4.
Old 08-05-22, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
As I listened I wondered if it was an original or an old James Taylor song. Amazing that all these years in the future and they seem to be consumed almost solely with 20th Century Pop.
Old 08-07-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Well, there is historic precendence for that. There were a number of people on the President's staff (and some in the military) who wanted the Japanese present at the test for the first atomic bomb so we could demonstrate it but not have to use it to get them to surrender. That tactic was overruled, but it was a very real option, and some people to this day think it would have been a better way to go as opposed to nuking two Japanese cities.
Since the Krill and the Moklan did some reverse engineering on the weapon, shouldn't they be able to create an identical device. The union should be able to recreate another weapon, if needed, unless they are going to say that they can't since Charlie is now deceased. But it would have been logical for them to have the blueprints for the device stored somewhere so that it could be accessed should something happen to the original device.
Old 08-07-22, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Since the Krill and the Moklan did some reverse engineering on the weapon, shouldn't they be able to create an identical device. The union should be able to recreate another weapon, if needed, unless they are going to say that they can't since Charlie is now deceased. But it would have been logical for them to have the blueprints for the device stored somewhere so that it could be accessed should something happen to the original device.
Well, the Krill and the Moclans can't build one because all the info/details on what they were able to find through their study of the device was destroyed when the base exploded, so, no, they can't create their own version of the device.

The Union should be able to recreate one, but they won't as long as the Kaylon are their allies - and at this point there's no reason to believe that the Kaylon won't remain their allies since the Kaylon, as members of the Union, have a say in Union policies.
Old 08-07-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Plus on the logic level, the Kaylon also have some understanding of the biologicals now beyond simple torture.
B5Erik (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Well, the Krill and the Moclans can't build one because all the info/details on what they were able to find through their study of the device was destroyed when the base exploded, so, no, they can't create their own version of the device.

The Union should be able to recreate one, but they won't as long as the Kaylon are their allies - and at this point there's no reason to believe that the Kaylon won't remain their allies since the Kaylon, as members of the Union, have a say in Union policies.
They would very likely have some version of the cloud where data can be backed up. We can easily back information up right now. No reason why they wouldn't have taken such measures hundreds of years in the future.
Old 08-07-22, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It felt like a series finale, bringing the major.players back and giving them closure (of a sort). I hope it gets renewed at least for a few more seasons. They still have a lot of stories to tell. I appreciate the extended episodes. They don't feel rushed, everything flows along at a comfortable pace.

There were many funny pieces in the finale. Bortus in the woods, Bortus as Elvis, & the pièce de résistance, toasting the lucky couple 😂. The shots alternating between the bachelorette party and the bachelor party were hilarious, including the 'Isaac' strip show (pasties)!

To cap it off, Alara pops in and Scott Grimes sings the perfect song. Hulu please renew this and give it some publicity, at least as much as those crappy Hulu movies that are advertised everywhere.
tanman (08-15-22)
Old 08-07-22, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seth MacFarlane on The Orville's Season 4 Renewal Odds

Pressed for the current odds on any such renewal, MacFarlane put it at “50-50,” though the release of all three seasons to Disney+ on Aug. 10 could, maybe, move the needle. (The recently concluded Season 3 earned an average TVLine reader grade of “A,” but it has yet to crack the Top 10 on Nielsen’s weekly streaming ranking.)

“My hope is that when the show drops on Disney+, the people who haven’t yet discovered [The Orville] will suddenly give it a chance,” MacFarlane said. “That’s a potential game changer for us.
Old 08-08-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had no problems with the tone of season 3 but some of the episodes are just way too bloated and long. Episode 8 is 86 minutes. Way too long.
Old 08-08-22, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by deadlax
I've had no problems with the tone of season 3 but some of the episodes are just way too bloated and long. Episode 8 is 86 minutes. Way too long.
Seth had the idea of doing them as mini-movies rather than just TV episodes. I think on that level that they worked.
DWilson (08-10-22)
Old 08-10-22, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Disney+ is missing the last episode. It has Season 3 listed as 9 episodes with the big battle being the last. 😒
Old 08-10-22, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta
Disney+ is missing the last episode. It has Season 3 listed as 9 episodes with the big battle being the last. 😒
From Seth McFarlane:

"Almost all of ['The Orville'] is now available on [Disney+]. Due to some bizarre, head-scratchy technical glitch, apparently the season 3 finale, "Future Unknown", is not yet available, however, I'm told it will be up by Friday at the absolute latest. Thanks for your patience."
leeta (08-10-22)
Old 08-10-22, 10:30 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
What about the sandwich.
Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Season final!
You called it!

I was going to say I hope they address the paradox from this episode if there is a Season 4, but according to the wiki, they retconned it away:

• In the original premiere version of this episode, the rescue of Gordon one month after his arrival in 2015 creates a paradox as the episode establishes he doesn't send his message to the Orville's position until 6 months after he was stranded. Not only does the second rescue attempt negate the timeline in which Gordon has a family, it also negates the timelime in which he sent the distress call.
  • During San Diego Comic-Con 2022 panel for The Orville, Seth MacFarlane confirmed the distress call paradox was "an egregious mistake" and admitted it was a production oversight. He also revealed that the error was corrected with a tweak and as of Aug 2022, the dialogue of the episode has since been changed in order to correct the paradox. In the original distress call from Gordon Malloy, the line was changed from him originally being stranded for 6 months to 3 months before he sends the distress call to The Orville. Later when The Orville jumps to 2015 from 2025, LaMar's dialogue has also been changed to say that they arrived approximately 4 months after Gordon's arrival to 2015 instead of only a month. Thus, fixing the unintended paradox.
https://orville.fandom.com/wiki/Twice_in_a_Lifetime
Old 08-11-22, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
As I listened I wondered if it was an original or an old James Taylor song.
It is a James Taylor song.

Old 08-13-22, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Cancelled Hulu so I am catching up on Disney now. After the first new episode, I said this about Charly
But she has a once in a generation mental ability that just so happened to be the one thing that could save Isaac and will probably never be mentioned again.
So I just want to admit I was wrong and give Seth credit for making that a real part of her charcater and the show
Old 08-15-22, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Definitely shot as a series finale, just in case. If it were that, I'd be fine with it. Hoping for another season, this seemed underwhelming. The whole Dr/Isaac subplot this season was silly.
Old 08-30-22, 05:18 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Just finished “Dominos” (Season 3, Episode 9)… and all I can say is “I’m not crying, you’re crying.”
Spoiler:
Charlie Burke

I was almost bawling… and her final words were telegraphed.

Charlie ♥️ Amanda

tanman (08-31-22)
Old 08-30-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Did anyone listen to the audiobook - "The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil"?

https://books.disney.com/book/the-or...for-the-devil/

Apparently, it was suppose to be an actual episode, but due to the pandemic schedule, Seth MacFarlane converted it into an audiobook.
John Pannozzi (08-31-22)
Old 08-30-22, 05:40 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Did anyone listen to the audiobook - "The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil"?

https://books.disney.com/book/the-or...for-the-devil/

Apparently, it was suppose to be an actual episode, but due to the pandemic schedule, Seth MacFarlane converted it into an audiobook.
Cool… it’s narrated by Bruce Boxleitner… and I wonder if he reads it in the voice of President Alcuzan?
John Pannozzi (08-31-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.