The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

Old 01-08-22, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
I blinked and Beverly Rose went from a baby to talking 3-ish year old. Also, this week's episode had it's lowest viewership to date (2.822 millioin viewers). If ABC renews this show, it will be a miracle. And while I've been hanging on by a strand for nostalgia reasons, I think it's time to call it a day. It's just not funny or interesting anymore on any level now.
ABC gets $0 syndication from this show since its a "Werner" show, but I imagine Werner want to sell this into syndication, so it'll get renewed. They will lower the fee to get another season or two out of it, more if they can convince Sagal to join the cast full-time. I think it'll be around 70ish episodes by season end, so I expect another two seasons from this one, especially if Goildbergs is done after this year (or next), since they have nothing else even close to leading a night.

I have no idea what they do with that 1 season of Roseanne they got - does anyone know if that's ever aired again or even watchable anywhere? It's only 9 episodes, but still....
Old 01-08-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I have no idea what they do with that 1 season of Roseanne they got - does anyone know if that's ever aired again or even watchable anywhere? It's only 9 episodes, but still....
I found someone selling "bootleg" copies of it. I got tired of waiting for a official release and wanted to see it again. I also got the first 3 seasons of The Conners from him as well. All really good quality and uncut.
Old 01-08-22, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
ABC gets $0 syndication from this show since its a "Werner" show, but I imagine Werner want to sell this into syndication, so it'll get renewed. They will lower the fee to get another season or two out of it, more if they can convince Sagal to join the cast full-time. I think it'll be around 70ish episodes by season end, so I expect another two seasons from this one, especially if Goildbergs is done after this year (or next), since they have nothing else even close to leading a night.

The first season of the "Roseanne" reboot is on Peacock. Along with all of the previous seasons (1988-1997). It's odd that you can't find season 1-3 of "The Connors" anywhere. Hulu, Peacock, ABC On Demand, etc.
Old 01-10-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Joy

https://screenrant.com/conners-seaso...fZc-ZL55zMJWs8
Old 01-18-22, 09:11 PM

Just watched the recent last two episodes on Amazon Prime. I was pretty disgusted with Darlene with the way she broke it off with Nick and that bit of calling him a loser before he headed out the door...classy. What a bitch. Thankfully her and Ben didn't get back together either.

Sad to see addiction has now started in another generation of the Conner clan with Mark on the uppers now...
Old 01-20-22, 09:53 AM

Joe Walsh wasn't too bad on this latest episode, and hopefully things are really over between Ben and Darlene.
Old 01-20-22, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 569 Likes on 442 Posts

Credit to the producers who fully understand that when you have Joe Walsh on your show, make him play the fucking guitar. Doesn't need to make narrative sense, just have him play something anyway.
Old 01-20-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

Darlene is going full psycho-stalker ex-girlfriend.

Which happens not infrequently in real life, but the show just treats it for laughs and doesn't really acknowledge just how skeevy it really is when you ex is following you around on dates.

About twenty years ago, one of my cousins broke up with her long-term boyfriend who she'd been seeing since high school, and started stalking her ex and his new girlfriend. It ended up with the new girlfriend beating the shit out of my cousin at a party. She left them alone after that.

Kind of hoping that would happen to Darlene.
Old 01-20-22, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Joe Walsh wasn't too bad on this latest episode
I spent about ten minutes thinking "Who the fuck is that?" until it hit me.

Old 01-20-22, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Credit to the producers who fully understand that when you have Joe Walsh on your show, make him play the fucking guitar. Doesn't need to make narrative sense, just have him play something anyway.
Knew that would happen though at some point. Along with Goodman. Who somehow thinks he can sing. Remember how often he did that during the original run on "Roseanne"?
Old 01-20-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One more thing on Joe Walsh, didn't his son on the show make a sarcastic comment about "the Maserati is in the shop" or something? I didn't feel like rewinding it. But all I could think of was "my Maserati does one-eighty five, I lost my license now I don't drive"
Old 01-20-22, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

One more thing on Joe Walsh, didn't his son on the show make a sarcastic comment about "the Maserati is in the shop" or something? I didn't feel like rewinding it. But all I could think of was "my Maserati does one-eighty five, I lost my license now I don't drive"
So I guess he has a limo, rides in the back and locks the doors in case he's attacked.
Old 01-20-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Also Dan mentioned something about putting a pickle between his cheek and gum or something like that. I figure that had to be a reference to Joe's "All Night Long".
Old 01-20-22, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Also Dan mentioned something about putting a pickle between his cheek and gum or something like that. I figure that had to be a reference to Joe's "All Night Long".
Aw shit, you're right, he did say that and I didn't pick up on it. D'oh!
Old 01-22-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, you guys are good. While I recognized Walsh as a person immediately, his music is not exactly in my wheelhouse. Especially the lyrics. And although I know and can name many Eagles songs, I'd be hard pressed to quote any lyrics from them too.
Old 01-22-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm surprised they didn't have some more obvious references. They could have easily had someone say "Life in the Fast Lane" or "Life's Been Good" in some form.
Old 01-22-22, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Wow, you guys are good. While I recognized Walsh as a person immediately, his music is not exactly in my wheelhouse. Especially the lyrics. And although I know and can name many Eagles songs, I'd be hard pressed to quote any lyrics from them too.
Life's Been Good has always been a song I liked (like if I'm digging through the bargain bins at the used record stores, I'm almost always tempted to just bite on that dollar copy of But Seriously Folks), and I usually quote it when I see a Maserati on the freeway. More often than not, when we're all stuck in 5mph traffic. "Not exactly going one eighty five, are ya?"
The following users liked this post:
Daytripper (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised they didn't have some more obvious references. They could have easily had someone say "Life in the Fast Lane" or "Life's Been Good" in some form.
Now those I would have gotten immediately. I know the song "Life's Been Good". I've heard it a zillion time. But couldn't quote you any of the lyrics. And didn't make the connection when Maserati was mentioned..
Old 01-23-22, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another connection between Joe Walsh and John Goodman: They were both in a Blues Brothers movie, but Joe was in the good one.
The following users liked this post:
GuessWho (01-24-22)
Old 03-17-22, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting article.

https://screenrant.com/conners-seaso...-problems-fix/
Old 03-19-22, 07:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for that, sad to see even industry insiders believe the show has gone down the tubes....

Happy to see I'm not the only one who hates that its been made into a Darlene centric show or that Ben and. Darlene's romance basically drove away viewers.

I agree with a lot of the summation made by the writer of the article but I think they need to go even further. If Season 5 does happen here are my suggestions...

Do a 5 year jump
Becky has now graduated college and is working as a nurse/lawyer/whatever where she is making 6 figures and broken out of the cycle of poverty.
Dan is dead (Sorry. John Goodman but your character is basically just wallpaper, and his plot line has run its course, let him end his time on the show happily remarried)
Harris and Mark are gone, graduated, moved out. They are barely on the show as it is and Harris is easily the most hated character the show has ever had.
Ben is gone never to be seen again (his character should have only lasted a handful of episodes in the first place)
This brings the show back to Darlene Jackie and Becky. Maybe Becky has bought the house and fixed it up. Maybe Darlene is now running Lunch Box while they take care of Jackie.
DJ can still drop by but his kid can go.
It would be fun to see Becky's kid grow up to become a young version of Darlene.
The show can focus on the family dynamic of those core 3 women and Becky's kid.
Old 03-19-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,505 Likes on 980 Posts

^ Better yet, why jump 5 years when you can accomplish all those same things by having the Connors win the lottery!
Old 03-23-22, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight's show was the best in awhile. Finally some good things are happening to these people. Ben's business is doing better because of his advertising. He's helping Jackie do the same. Darlene and Becky are getting a house they want. Dan and Louise will have a home to themselves. And any episode with Katey Sagal is automatically a better one.
Old 03-23-22, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dan is going to build the house himself? I hope that means he will oversee a crew and not actually try and do it himself. Didn't he have to give up hanging drywall?
Old 03-23-22, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dan is going to build the house himself? I hope that means he will oversee a crew and not actually try and do it himself. Didn't he have to give up hanging drywall?
No, I'm sure he'll have that same crew he had when Becky was working for him back in season 2. When she showed up in the morning with vodka in a water bottle. Side note, what exactly was the point of having Beverly Rose jump from a baby to a 2ish year old overnight? So they could insert some obnoxious kid actor in any given scene to deliver some painful dialogue? I'm sorry, but I can't stand that kid.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.