Reload this Page >

The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

Old 11-03-21, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

Well, it looks like they are slowly bringing Ben back into the fold. Unfortunately. Pretty decent episode overall. When is Bev coming back? I read that since COVID has settled down somewhat that she'll be back in the studio and not just via facetime on someone's phone. Another question, was Dan's half brother just a hit and run thing on this show? He only appeared on two episodes. I think that storyline could have gone to some interesting places. Could have brought Crystal back too for a few episodes. I would definitely like to see her again. And not to sound like a broken record, would love to see Sandra Bernhard's Nancy back too.
Old 11-04-21, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 335 Likes on 235 Posts

Does Becky still have a kid?

Seems like they're giving Goodman less screen time this season. And Katey Sagal seems to quickly pop in just to remind everyone she's part of the family.
Old 11-04-21, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

I still don't get why Katey Sagal's character would want to be with Dan much less marry him. Certainly she could do a lot better.
Old 11-04-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I forgot Darlene's son was gay since he stopped dressing as a girl until this week's episode which made me feel very dirty after watching.
Old 11-18-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that was a "meh" episode this week. I'm thankful the writing is not as depressing as most of last year, but I haven't laughed once watching this show in I don't know how long. I feel like I'm just tuning it now at this point for nostalgia reasons. It's just not funny.
Old 11-18-21, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gotten really tired of the same 2 storylines... drama between Darlene and Ben, and between Darlene and Harris.

I'm only watching while surfing the net, but I'm thinking that even that little concentration on the show is still too much.
Old 11-19-21, 07:20 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Well that was a "meh" episode this week. I'm thankful the writing is not as depressing as most of last year, but I haven't laughed once watching this show in I don't know how long. I feel like I'm just tuning it now at this point for nostalgia reasons. It's just not funny.
Agreed!

Its too bad Sara Gilbert doesn't seem to understand that most viewers don't seem to want to see the show focus on her storyline. Since she is producing it, its basically become her own star vehicle and its suffering for it. Her romance drama with Ben/David/Brian Austin Green character went nowhere and now this season seems to be all about her search for her spirituality, jumping from one religious philosophy to the next like she is trying different flavors of ice cream. Not only is this overly simplistic in presenting differences between faiths, there is also no way she could possibly gain any insight from the casual glance they show her giving each religion.

I think its great they are showing her character search for some meaning, not something you see on most sitcoms, but could they do it in a way that's less insulting to people who worship in those faiths?

Ultimately I think the show would be far better off focusing on Becky or Jackie more but the writers seem to think we want to see them act like buffoons and spitting out one-liners.

If this show lasts much longer Id be surprised. Its got to be expensive to keep this huge cast on board and nobody seems interested in watching anymore.
Old 11-19-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
If this show lasts much longer Id be surprised. Its got to be expensive to keep this huge cast on board and nobody seems interested in watching anymore.
Yeah, this has to be the last year. I have friends who bailed on the show a long time ago.
Old 11-19-21, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

This book shop guy is like the adult version of Darlene's son Mark. I read an article that he'll be on for three shows this season, so it looks like it won't be a long-lasting thing with Darlene.

I hate to say this, but Sara Gilbert hasn't aged well...

Looks like they found a way for Katey Segal to recover from her recent accident with the car...by going on tour for a few weeks and using the phone for her part on the show.
Old 11-20-21, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
They will be at around 70 episodes when the season ends,and it's still ABC's most watched sitcom so at the very least it would benefit them financially getting it to 80-85 epsidoes for some Syndication money If they were penny pinching. you could easily just cut Goodman,Metcalf or Gilbert from some episodes. Gilbert as Producer probably would also take a paycut if the show's fate got to a point where it was dependent on trimming the budget.
Old 12-01-21, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good episode this week. And I actually laughed a few times. At the top of my head. Darlene deleting texts to Becky that "may or may not be about Nick", Dan telling the one guy at the garage sale to kiss his ass, Jackie's response to Becky while she was working on the toaster holding the screw driver, and Jackie asking Dan about betting D.J. in a poker game. Goranson is still my favorite on the show. And I still can't believe how young she looks for her age. I know she lied about her age when she was trying to be a surrogate. But she really does look 10 years younger than her actual age.
Old 12-01-21, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't remember ever seeing anyone have a garage sale around Christmas time here in Illinois.

Pretty sure that Becky is "Aerosmith old"...maybe not the early years, but definitely the late '80s/early '90s era.
Old 12-01-21, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I don't remember ever seeing anyone have a garage sale around Christmas time here in Illinois.

Pretty sure that Becky is "Aerosmith old"...maybe not the early years, but definitely the late '80s/early '90s era.
I'm pretty sure she meant 70's Aerosmith. But yeah, bad example since they had an even bigger career from the mid 80's to early 90's. More sloppy writing. She should have said Led Zeppelin or maybe even Van Halen. Remember when Dan walked in Becky's bedroom when she was dancing to "Pump Up the Jam"?
Old 12-01-21, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the Aerosmith reference didn't make any sense. She could've easily seen them at the height of their popularity.

I had a laugh at DJ's admission of wanting to burn something as a husband and father, and everyone's reaction to it.
Old 12-02-21, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'd think someone might tell Dan that it would be a better idea to try and sell the furniture on Facebook or Craigslist than having a yard sale in Illinois during snowy weather.
Old 12-02-21, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom View Post
You'd think someone might tell Dan that it would be a better idea to try and sell the furniture on Facebook or Craigslist than having a yard sale in Illinois during snowy weather.
The Conners aren't the smartest family.

I get why he put a very high price on the bedroom set - and it had nothing to do with the quality. But at some point for a family who are always underwater financially, you would figure he'd actually go through with pricing more realistically.
He could probably get about $300+ for the whole set if he tried a little harder instead of just burning it.
Better yet, he could've "upcycled" them very cheaply by sanding it down, and chalk painting it, sealing, etc. Upcycled furniture sells for decent cash.

If this goes another season, I wonder if the intro will be changed to include Katy Sagal. It already seems weird the intro has a family gathering and Dan's wife isn't even in it.

Old 12-02-21, 10:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post

I hate to say this, but Sara Gilbert hasn't aged well...

Now that you say it, I have to wonder if they are using makeup to make her look more haggard and run down looking than she is. I dont remember seeing her look this bad when she was on the talk show. Maybe its just better lighting?

I don't know why she would want this look for her character since none of the other people on the show have that run down look. Its always been part of 'Darlene' to now wear makeup and look natural so maybe that's her thinking.

I remember it being pretty well known back when she was a teen on the show and got a nose job. It makes you wonder why someone who would get a nose job wouldn't bother to do more now that she is the star of the show.
Old 12-02-21, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
They will be at around 70 episodes when the season ends,and it's still ABC's most watched sitcom so at the very least it would benefit them financially getting it to 80-85 epsidoes for some Syndication money If they were penny pinching. you could easily just cut Goodman,Metcalf or Gilbert from some episodes. Gilbert as Producer probably would also take a paycut if the show's fate got to a point where it was dependent on trimming the budget.
Benefit who? ABC does not own The Connors, they make $0 off (possible) syndication or streaming.
Old 12-02-21, 09:52 PM

Good episode this week. And I actually laughed a few times. At the top of my head. Darlene deleting texts to Becky that "may or may not be about Nick", Dan telling the one guy at the garage sale to kiss his ass, Jackie's response to Becky while she was working on the toaster holding the screw driver, and Jackie asking Dan about betting D.J. in a poker game. Goranson is still my favorite on the show. And I still can't believe how young she looks for her age. I know she lied about her age when she was trying to be a surrogate. But she really does look 10 years younger than her actual age.
I kind of laughed out loud at the comment they made about Roseanne and the furniture burning in the bin!
Old 01-06-22, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I blinked and Beverly Rose went from a baby to talking 3-ish year old. Also, this week's episode had it's lowest viewership to date (2.822 millioin viewers). If ABC renews this show, it will be a miracle. And while I've been hanging on by a strand for nostalgia reasons, I think it's time to call it a day. It's just not funny or interesting anymore on any level now.
Old 01-07-22, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The scenarios they set up are stupid. Why would Ben invite Darlene's new boyfriend to watch a Bears game other than to setup a stupid conflict? I don't buy that it was Ben trying to sabotage them or anything either.
The whole relationship crap is just tired.
Dan being so clueless to buying a waterbed in 2021 - come on. You don't have to be up to speed on modern home design trends to know that waterbeds were out as soon as the 90's hit.

I'm done with the show.
Old 01-07-22, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still love sleeping on my waterbed in 2022, but might not be so good for a couple getting up there in age. Full motion beds can be difficult getting up from. It might be something he'd want to check on with his wife first no matter what.
Old 01-07-22, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 894 Posts

I always wanted a waterbed until I tried one.
Old 01-07-22, 10:58 PM

I had a boyfriend who slept on one of those old style ones where its like a huge "wave" bubbled on one side of the bed when you got on it!
Old 01-08-22, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I blinked and Beverly Rose went from a baby to talking 3-ish year old. Also, this week's episode had it's lowest viewership to date (2.822 millioin viewers). If ABC renews this show, it will be a miracle. And while I've been hanging on by a strand for nostalgia reasons, I think it's time to call it a day. It's just not funny or interesting anymore on any level now.
Agree with literally every word. Nostalgia is the only reason.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.