Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question about Executive Producers on TV shows

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Question about Executive Producers on TV shows

So this came up in a discussion about Mike Richards and Jeopardy.

Richards is/was the executive producer of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. In film, an executive producer is a person who is involved in the financing of a project (feel free to correct me if that's wrong), but Richards doesn't bankroll game shows. He was an employee of Sony, which is why they were able to outright fire him. So what does it mean (in TV) that Richards was executive producer?

Discussion then went to what it means that Mariska Hargitay has become an executive producer on SVU. She is still a paid actor on the show. Does she have a greater financial stake in the series now that she is EP? Is she personally investing in the series in conjunction with the title? And what is the difference between an actor getting a producer credit vs EP?

Also, any thoughts/info on actors being EPs/producers in general would be welcome. This discussion was among some very curious people, and they really want to sort this stuff out.

I always figured it was more vanity, and I know someone who got a producing credit on a movie just for being a friend of the director and helping him out on set.
Old 09-04-21, 09:03 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Question about Executive Producers on TV shows

I was going to write something myself, but this answers on Masterclass’ website explains what I would’ve put.

“An executive producer on a TV show has a very different job than an executive producer in the film industry. Like a film executive producer, a TV executive producer is also a high level producer who oversees the production from the top. TV executive producers do not finance the series and focus almost exclusively on the television show’s creative endeavors. A television executive producer is usually the creator, writer, and showrunner of the series, meaning that they not only created the show, they help write the script, and run the day-to-day production operations.”

If they are not the show runner, some EPs (because they have a bunch of shows) are a bit more hands off. I.e. a J.J. Abrahms, Berlanti type.

An actor becoming an EP on a show does give them for of a financial incentive and they have more creative input on the show. In the case of Hargitay… it is a long running show. She is now involved in the creative process of the show and can say have an opinion on what happens to her character and the overall direction of the show. Also incentivized for it. Same thing with Ellen Pompeo in Grey’s Anatomy.

Last edited by dex14; 09-04-21 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-04-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Sometimes it seems to be just a title they give to a celebrity or someone else even though they really don't actually have anything to do with the production of the show. The term seems to be used very loosely a lot of the time. I see a lot of wanna be singers on Youtube state that if someone donates $x amount of money to their Gofundme account, they will be listed as an executive produce on all their future Youtube videos as well as and music cd's they produce.
Old 09-04-21, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

It is odd because you would think an Executive Producer would be above a Producer in the hierarchy, but I saw today that Kevin Fiege only takes Producer credit on all the MCU movies.
Old 09-04-21, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

In Feige's case, he's a very hands on producer and he's involved with the day to day production of his movies and shows including scripts and development. And I believe he has a presence on set. He's essentially a glorified line producer even though he's on the top of the food chain with Marvel.

Kiefer Sutherland was credited as EP the 24 spinoff 24 Legacy. But he had absolutely nothing to do with the show. FOX just gave him money so they could stick his name on it.

He was also EP of Designated Survivor, which he starred in. But for that one, the studio gave him creative control of scripts. He also had final say on who they could hire as showrunner. That show had a high turnover on showrunners.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-04-21 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-04-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I believe it has to do with guild rules in Hollywood. The producers guild has firm rules on who can and can't be listed as EP or P. In many television cases, it's a token title often bestowed for financial reasons and little more. Typically on a film, producers have creative input into the production. An EP may do nothing more than use his rolodex to make a few calls, or have an option on a property that was licensed out to another person.