Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount +) - S: Jeremy Renner - From EP Taylor Sheridan - 11/14/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount +) - S: Jeremy Renner - From EP Taylor Sheridan - 11/14/21

Old 08-30-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

The full trailer comes out tomorrow. Here's a teaser that was released today.

Mayor of Kingstown follows the McLusky family – power brokers in Kingstown, Michigan where the business of incarceration is the only thriving industry. Tackling themes of systemic racism, corruption and inequality, the series provides a stark look at their attempt to bring order and justice to a town that has neither.

Old 08-30-21, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount +) -- S: Jeremy Renner, Kyle Chandler - From EP Taylor Sheridan - 11/14

I hear Netflix is developing a new show with the creator of Ozark called The Miner of Coaltown. And Apple TV is doing a modern Othello called The Moor of Venicetown.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (11-24-21)
Old 08-30-21, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Re: Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount +) -- S: Jeremy Renner, Kyle Chandler - From EP Taylor Sheridan - 11/14

Nice opening shot of Hamilton.
They were shooting some scenes a few blocks from me a couple days ago.

I'll check it out.
Old 08-31-21, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Full trailer

From Academy Award nominee Taylor Sheridan, co-creator of Yellowstone, Mayor of Kingstown follows the McLusky family - power brokers in Kingstown, Michigan where the business of incarceration is the only thriving industry. Tackling themes of systemic racism, corruption and inequality, the series provides a stark look at their attempt to bring order and justice to a town that has neither.

Looks good. I'm guessing that Renner and Chandler are brothers. I also saw Hugh Dillon from Flashpoint is in this and he co-created the series.
Old 08-31-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

November is Renner month on Streaming. Hawkeye comes out less than 2 weeks later.
Old 10-14-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 10-14-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

I hear Netflix is developing a new show with the creator of Ozark called The Miner of Coaltown. And Apple TV is doing a modern Othello called The Moor of Venicetown.
Haha first thing I thought of when I saw the title. Have to say I would not be too upset with a season 2 of MARE
Old 10-14-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should've called it "Mare of Kingstown" to keep it in line with Winslet's show, and consistent with Charlie Kelly's illiteracy

Old 11-13-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

This will be up on Paramount + tomorrow.

It's not a binge series. It will be posted weekly.
Old 11-13-21, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

The first episode will be on Paramount Network on Sun 1114 if you don't want to pay for another streaming service.

I would be so in if this was a movie but not sure if I have the time to watch 10 hours of this with football season in progress.
Old 11-13-21, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only 15 reviews, but it's sitting at 20% on RT.
Old 11-14-21, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Just checked Paramount +. 2 episodes are now up. The first is 66 minutes and the 2nd is 50 minutes. It's also in 4K UHD
Old 11-14-21, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Hugh Dillon, who plays Sheriff Haskell on Yellowstone, is the co-creator and series regular on this. Looks like he co-wrote the 1st episode with Sheridan and Sheridan directed it.

Does Taylor Sheridan sleep?
Old 11-14-21, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow, it's late. Just finished the 1st episode. Wow, a lot of crazy shit went down.

I did not see that coming when:

Spoiler:

Chandler's character Mitch got gunned down and killed in his own office.

and later the police killing off the murderer so fast.

They really set up Renner's character Mike to be dark and unhinged since it seems to be the heir apparent to running the prison.

Lots of nudity and great lap dance scene in that strip club

at the Mom basically telling Mike that he's a loser.
Old 11-14-21, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Just finished the 2nd episode. The lethal injection execution scene was pretty intense.

and man Hugh Dillon curses non-stop. There's literally an F bomb in every other word he says.

It's been interesting so far, but I have a feeling some of you aren't going to like this show. There's a lot of scummy characters with no scruples including Renner's character Mike. One of the reviews I glanced over complained about how there's no likeable characters here.

I liked the little nod to the series creator Taylor Sheridan. The street sign "Sheridan place"
Old 11-16-21, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I've only watched the first episode, but the show has a lot of potential. Feeling a "The Wire" like vibe with this one...maybe because I've recently been watching that too.

I actually predicted
Spoiler:
Kyle Chandler's character would be killed

Seems like a running theme with Sheridan's stories:
Spoiler:
the death of a close family member launches the main plot: See: Yellowstone, Those Who Wish Me Dead, Without Remorse, etc.
Old 11-16-21, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought the second episode was much better.
Old 11-16-21, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I liked the little nod to the series creator Taylor Sheridan. The street sign "Sheridan place"
Sheridan Street. Hamilton has a Sheridan Lane and Drive, but not street - and not near the filming location. So a definite nod.

Mike's office is less than 5 minutes from me.

The show isn't doing much for me so far. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I'll stick it out for a while.
I don't know exactly what's going on in some of the conversations.
Old 11-23-21, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Third Episode was uplifting.
Old 11-25-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got to the third episode. Man that was not uplifting at all. Idiot Kenny doesn’t even make it out of jail for his first hearing.

Loved when Kyle and that other cop got into it at the pier.

These Kingstown cops don’t care and will shoot anything that moves in a raid.
Old 11-29-21, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

No likable characters, but I'm interested in the whole dynamic of this town and its prison culture. I feel like this is the origin story of Keitel's Mr. Wolf from Pulp Fiction.
Old 12-07-21, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I was a little confused by the ending of episode 4. That was a pretty messy shooting. Kyle thinks the weird and strung out druggie is casing the Pizza joint. He calls in Ian for help. Then when Ian is ready to apprehend the druggie, the big muscular guy who works at the place takes out his gun and starts firing away. Then Kyle and Ian shoot him dead. So I was lost on what the hell went down? Was the guy behind the counter actually an employee? and who was the guy scared shitless behind the counter? That whole sequence was confusing unless I was missing something.

Old 12-07-21, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I was a little confused by the ending of episode 4. That was a pretty messy shooting. Kyle thinks the weird and strung out druggie is casing the Pizza joint. He calls in Ian for help. Then when Ian is ready to apprehend the druggie, the big muscular guy who works at the place takes out his gun and starts firing away. Then Kyle and Ian shoot him dead. So I was lost on what the hell went down? Was the guy behind the counter actually an employee? and who was the guy scared shitless behind the counter? That whole sequence was confusing unless I was missing something.
The guy behind the counter freaked out when he saw Ian with his gun and that's why he shot at him, not realizing he was a cop. The other guy freaking out behind the counter was an employee too. Could be wrong but think they showed him earlier. Yeah the whole scene was a bit odd. Feel like they could've apprehended the druggie much easier than the route they took.
DJariya (12-07-21)
Old 12-07-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy who was killed was the pizza shop owner with a criminal record.
He was suspicious of the cop coming in... either knowing he was a cop coming after him, or just some guy with a gun he wanted to protect himself and his business. The cops were there just for the junkie who they suspected was casing out the joint to rob it. It was just bad timing/coincidence.
The other guy behind the counter was just an employee caught in the middle who apparently has had enough with the crime in the city.

If you haven't seen Episode 5, they explain it a bit more.
DJariya (12-07-21)
Old 12-23-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got caught up with episodes 5 and 6.

I'm really liking this show. Yes, it's dark and sometimes unpleasant, but I like the grittiness of it. Yes, 5 cleared things up about the Pizza parlor shooting.

Iris getting the shit beaten out of her and getting her hand beaten with a hammer was tough to watch.

when Miriam told Kyle to stop hanging out with Mike because he's a fucking criminal.

Who wants to be that prison guard who was jerking off in the shower and has the shitty wife and disabled son is going to go postal? It sure feels like it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.