DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653593-wheel-time-amazon-premieres-11-19-21-a.html)

dex14 08-21-21 05:26 PM

The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

It's been two years since Game of Thrones went off the air, and even longer since Amazon chief Jeff Bezos directed his Prime Video team to deliver him a hit akin to the HBO supernova. Into this vacuum steps The Wheel of Time, a new drama (coming November) adapted from author Robert Jordan's best-selling series of the same name.

Spanning a whopping 15 novels, The Wheel of Time — which debuted in 1990 — seemed impossible to adapt before shows like Thrones. But while George R.R. Martin's epic beat Jordan's opus to televisions, showrunner Rafe Judkins believes WoT serves as a perfect bridge between Thrones and the earlier mythic saga The Lord of the Rings (another literary world getting a show at Amazon).

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...689f57a9c8.jpg

"Wheel of Time is the first fantasy series that really dove into the political and cultural worlds of all these different characters," Judkins (a former Survivor contestant and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. producer) says of the insanely popular and lengthy books. "It was also one of the first to dive into multiple POV characters, so you're following an ensemble, with each of them having their own agendas and approaches to everything. That's always felt to me like the missing piece of the fantasy-literature landscape that hasn't been brought to TV or film yet."

The Wheel of Time also differentiates itself from those other big-name franchises in the way it highlights its female characters. While Middle-earth's most prominent heroine has to disguise herself as a man, and Westeros' few female conquerors are often facing threats of sexual violence, the world of WoT is essentially matriarchal. The largest kingdom in the novels' unnamed land is ruled by a queen who will pass her crown to her daughter rather than her son, and uneasy peace is maintained by the female-only mystic order known as the Aes Sedai.

"These are not just a bunch of princesses swanning around in pretty dresses," says series costume designer Isis Mussenden. "These are women doing jobs. They're taking care of the governance; they're taking care of healing."

The Wheel of Time's most prominent Aes Sedai is Moiraine (Rosamund Pike), who rescues a handful of young villagers after monsters attack their community of Two Rivers. Though the group of new refugees doesn't trust her, "Moiraine is the guide figure in this world," explains Pike, "the mysterious stranger who comes to town and changes their lives forever. They leave with her on a journey that will either save or destroy humanity."

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...4d0e7c4267.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6ffaeb5860.jpg

As a member of the Aes Sedai, Moiraine is a master at channeling a magical force called the One Power. Lifetimes earlier, both men and women were able to access the magic, but an evil known as the Dark One tainted the male half. Now any man capable of mysticism is hunted by the Aes Sedai and stripped of his abilities (a process that can turn fatal). Exemplifying this fate is Logain (Álvaro Morte), a man capable of channeling the One Power who attempts to assert himself as the reincarnation of the Dragon, a long-lost messiah. In the photos above, you can can get a glimpse of what the Aes Sedai do to him as a result.

"Just as men are often trying to shut down female power in our world, the Aes Sedai are trying to stop this man from becoming too powerful," Judkins says. "If, hypothetically, one of our male characters were able to use the One Power, they understand the stakes of it from what they see of Logain."

That scenario might be a bit more than a hypothetical. If WoT sticks to the plot of Jordan's books, Moiraine encourages her new female travel companions, Egwene (Madeleine Madden) and Nynaeve (Zoë Robins), to embrace their mystic potential. But she also suspects that one of their male cohorts may unknowingly possess "the spark" and be linked to the long-lost messiah known as the Dragon. She's just not sure if it's Rand (Josha Stradowski), Mat (Barney Harris), or Perrin (Marcus Rutherford).

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...72428203d6.jpg

While shooting in Eastern Europe over the past two years (pausing for a significant hiatus due to COVID-19), Judkins and his team felt the pressure to get Jordan's story "right" — and spared no expense crafting a world they hope is embraced by the millions of rabid WoT fans.

"We literally built Shadar Logoth from scratch just for 15 minutes of airtime, because it's that important to the series," Judkins says of the infamous abandoned city, which is haunted by such dark energy that even the monstrous Trollocs hunting our protagonists fear to tread there. "That's where it becomes very clear it's not just the forces of good and evil. There are lots of different angles."

Judkins hopes to explore all those angles as his drama expands beyond Jordan's first WoT book. It helps that Amazon has already commissioned a second season — and that an unrelated WoT prequel movie in the works is sure to boost name recognition — but Judkins knows he must bring in more than the existing die-hard fan base for any chance of his series lasting long enough to cover Jordan's epilogue. To accomplish that goal, he's relying on the author's celebrated world-building.

"I try to stick to the spine and the heart of the books, and bring that to the screen," Judkins says of his philosophy as showrunner. "If I can successfully do that, the story and the characters will sell themselves."
https://ew.com/tv/the-wheel-of-time-...ve-first-look/

DJariya 08-21-21 05:34 PM

re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

I've heard about this series being in the works. But, I know nothing about the book series. Apparently it's pretty popular. I'll be looking forward to seeing the trailer.

Nick Danger 08-21-21 06:02 PM

Dang. That's a giant story. According to Wikipedia, the audiobook is 461 hours long.

Eric F 08-21-21 06:30 PM

I've read a lot of fantasy but none of the Wheel of Time novels. Worth reading?

RichC2 08-21-21 07:36 PM

I only ever read the first, I enjoyed it.

IDrinkMolson 08-21-21 09:24 PM

I'm up to book 7 (audiobooks) I enjoy it, but there's so many characters I don't know what's going on half the time.

DaveNinja 08-23-21 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13973613)

I'd say no since I remember when I read it, the first third of the books were fine, the next third not as good and the final third was a chore to just make it to the end.
If you read a ton, it's probably fine but if you have limited reading time, I would say to read some better books.

[email protected] 08-23-21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13973613)

I read the first three, and enjoyed them quite a bit. But they lost me at book four, which was kind of a side-trip that barely featured the main character and plotline. And at 624 pages long, I tapped out about halfway through.

Eric F 08-23-21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 13974454)
I'd say no since I remember when I read it, the first third of the books were fine, the next third not as good and the final third was a chore to just make it to the end.
If you read a ton, it's probably fine but if you have limited reading time, I would say to read some better books.

Eh. Maybe I’ll hold off then. I’m reading Robin Hobb’s Assassins Apprentice novels (9 books I think) and all of them have been pretty good so far.

mugwump 08-24-21 10:27 AM

I started reading the series back in college when "The Eye of the World" was first published and would pick up the new releases as they came out every couple of years (imagine that, an author sticking to a publication schedule and having a plan in place for after his death). Some were good, a few were bad, many were mediocre but I enjoyed the journey for the most part. I doubt I would want to tackle it as a completed series of 14 books since I feel compelled to read series all the way through and that would be a slog.

As for the upcoming show I don't know what to think but the photos indicate that they've done a good job of casting for the most part although I'm not sold on Rosamund Pike as she looks nothing like how I imagine Moiraine.

johnnysd 08-24-21 08:09 PM

My favorite books ever and by far my most anticipated TV show ever. By a lot. I have read the entire series multiple times.

The books are very very visual and admittedly bloated at times, but the core story will make for compelling, fantastic TV. Unlike GOT where magic lurked in the background, magic if the core of the story. Rather than just being a plot device like superhero powers the magic system is scientific, layered and logical. There are many scenes in the books that will be incredibly exciting on the screen.

No author I have ever read was as good as ending books as him. Sort of like the anti-Stephen King.

It has a budget far north of the last seasons of GOT and some insiders have set the sets are among the most epic they have ever seen.

I urge everyone to give it a shot. It will be worth watching.

Dash 08-25-21 08:48 AM

This is one of my favorite series of all time. Ive read the though the books multiple times. Some books are great others are a chore to get through but overall its a pretty good series that I think many would enjoy. Here's hoping they will do it justice.

Eric F 08-25-21 09:36 AM

Waiting for someone to take on RA Salvatore's Drzzt/Dark Elves series. Aren't there like 40 books in that series so far? I think I read like 20 or so and then gave up.

I know it's set in the D&D/Forgotten Realms universe which has a lot of potential for multiple linking shows.

mndtrp 08-25-21 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13974488)
Eh. Maybe I’ll hold off then. I’m reading Robin Hobb’s Assassins Apprentice novels (9 books I think) and all of them have been pretty good so far.

Do yourself a favor, and read the rest of the interlinked series as well. They all end up tying together in a very satisfying way. Liveship Traders trilogy and the Rain Wild Chronicles. They all ultimately ended up being one of my favorite series to read, and the end got me a little emotional. It would have been fine without the other two trilogies, but meant so much more with the added stories.

I'm on book 4 of the Wheel of Time series, and my interest is starting to wane. It's generally good, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

Eric F 08-25-21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 13975121)
Do yourself a favor, and read the rest of the interlinked series as well. They all end up tying together in a very satisfying way. Liveship Traders trilogy and the Rain Wild Chronicles. They all ultimately ended up being one of my favorite series to read, and the end got me a little emotional. It would have been fine without the other two trilogies, but meant so much more with the added stories.

I'm on book 4 of the Wheel of Time series, and my interest is starting to wane. It's generally good, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

I'm including those other Robin Hobb novels as part of the 9. I'm pretty far in now.

Ayre 08-26-21 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 13975121)

I finished 4 and quit. Words are overrated.

mndtrp 08-26-21 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13975374)
I'm including those other Robin Hobb novels as part of the 9. I'm pretty far in now.

There's 16 in total for the entire set. Unless I'm misunderstanding you in that there's 9 Assassin's books, and you'll read the others as well. Either way, I hope you enjoy them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_...the_Elderlings

dex14 09-02-21 10:44 AM

Dash 09-02-21 04:23 PM

Trailer looks great. The cgi doesn't look horrible, I wonder how much amazon spent producing this thing because it doesn't look cheap.

dom56 09-02-21 04:44 PM

The Myddraal look pretty wicked, only brief look on the trollocks. Can't wait to watch it.

dex14 09-02-21 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dash (Post 13978984)
Trailer looks great. The cgi doesn't look horrible, I wonder how much amazon spent producing this thing because it doesn't look cheap.

$90mil+ for the season.

lwhy? 09-02-21 06:29 PM

Amazon is spending a ton of money on fantasy series between this and the Lord of the Rings series.

Eric F 09-02-21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13979038)
Amazon is spending a ton of money on fantasy series between this and the Lord of the Rings series.

I've thought it was kind of odd they were producing two incredibly expensive fantasy shows simultaneously. Bezos gets what he wants I guess.

lwhy? 09-02-21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13979126)
I've thought it was kind of odd they were producing two incredibly expensive fantasy shows simultaneously. Bezos gets what he wants I guess.

Well it’s not like they can’t afford it.

Eric F 09-03-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13979156)
Well it’s not like he can’t afford it.

Fixed.