Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Old 12-04-21, 07:33 PM
  #101  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 264
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

I'm loving this show. I like what they've done here with Wheel of Time much better than what was done to Foundation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rodney2187:
[email protected] (12-05-21), DeFan (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 12:50 AM
  #102  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 43,206
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Episode 5 was decent, but Iím disappointed in the look of Loial.
The showrunner did an AMA on Reddit and basically said "Look, we can use makeup and practical effects and have the character appear as much as he does in the books, or we can use CGI and use the character a lot less because of budget constraints." I agree that it would have been cool to see a more non-human looking Loial, but given the realities, I think they made the right choice.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 05:59 AM
  #103  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 8,024
Received 193 Likes on 113 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by JasonF
The showrunner did an AMA on Reddit and basically said "Look, we can use makeup and practical effects and have the character appear as much as he does in the books, or we can use CGI and use the character a lot less because of budget constraints." I agree that it would have been cool to see a more non-human looking Loial, but given the realities, I think they made the right choice.
I agree that changing the characterís look is preferable to reducing his role, but that feels a little bit like a cop out. For example, looking at what the Harry Potter movies did with Hagrid nearly 20 years ago, I have a hard time buying they couldnít have gone practical makeup on the actor, but then used a variety of techniques to make him appear considerably larger than the other characters. Again, itís been a long time since I read the books, so maybe Iím misremembering, but in my head, his size fed a lot into his character and how he interacts with the world.
Old 12-05-21, 07:03 AM
  #104  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,299
Received 117 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Iíve watched all 5 episodes so far, and have not read the books. My feelings to this point:
  • So far not much has happened. Definitely a lot of traveling and camp fires.
  • The main young ďdragonĒ characters are mostly boring and donít gel well together. I think partially because they donít seem to have a lot of acting experience.
  • There seems to be large political and perhaps philosophical/religious(?) differences between the colors of the women in the tower, but I donít think theyíve explained the distinctions too well. Maybe there was something in the opening ceremony and I missed it.

For me, Lan and Mat are the most interesting characters. The wandering minstrel was pretty cool too. Everybody else seems bland or just whines all the time.

Episode 4 definitely picked things up, but then 5 was a lull. I do know itís based on a book series, so I understand the need to develop things before the story and pace can find itís grove. Iím definitely in for the rest of the season, but hope to see improvements.

Oh, and I assume red head is the chosen one. If so, I hope he steps into his own soon.
The following users liked this post:
DeFan (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 07:48 AM
  #105  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,006
Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by Superman07
Iíve watched all 5 episodes so far, and have not read the books. My feelings to this point:
  • So far not much has happened. Definitely a lot of traveling and camp fires.
  • The main young ďdragonĒ characters are mostly boring and donít gel well together. I think partially because they donít seem to have a lot of acting experience.
  • There seems to be large political and perhaps philosophical/religious(?) differences between the colors of the women in the tower, but I donít think theyíve explained the distinctions too well. Maybe there was something in the opening ceremony and I missed it.

For me, Lan and Mat are the most interesting characters. The wandering minstrel was pretty cool too. Everybody else seems bland or just whines all the time.

Episode 4 definitely picked things up, but then 5 was a lull. I do know itís based on a book series, so I understand the need to develop things before the story and pace can find itís grove. Iím definitely in for the rest of the season, but hope to see improvements.

Oh, and I assume red head is the chosen one. If so, I hope he steps into his own soon.
There is a lot of foundational and world building info that needs to happen in Season 1 and I think they are doing a good job with it, as the way they have chosen will help the rest of this season and future seasons. The last 3 episodes should be greatly "picked up" for you.
The following users liked this post:
Superman07 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 09:56 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,023
Received 624 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

I finished the most recent episode last night and here are my thoughts:

I wish they had cast a few more name actors in the series. Rosamund Pike is the only actor that I have seen in anything before. The actors cast as the five potential "dragons" are pretty weak. If they're paying $10 million an episode, they should have been able to cast better actors especially the actress playing Nynaeve and her constant RBF.

I agree with another poster that they spent way too much time on funeral scenes for characters that we haven't spent much time with on the show.

One of the favorite characters that they introduced so far was the gleeman and then they possibly killed him off after two episodes....

I really like the shooting locations and episode 5 was the first episode that I've watched in 4K on my new 4K tv and it looks great. I like the Loial character that they just introduced. I also like the Child Valda character, especially since he's not bland like most of the other characters/actors on the show. I'll finish this season. I hope they pick up the pace a bit though. It's been a bit of a slow go except for the battle in episode 1 and 4. I'll give it a 7/10 so far.


Old 12-05-21, 10:46 AM
  #107  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,006
Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I finished the most recent episode last night and here are my thoughts:

I wish they had cast a few more name actors in the series. Rosamund Pike is the only actor that I have seen in anything before. The actors cast as the five potential "dragons" are pretty weak. If they're paying $10 million an episode, they should have been able to cast better actors especially the actress playing Nynaeve and her constant RBF.

I agree with another poster that they spent way too much time on funeral scenes for characters that we haven't spent much time with on the show.

One of the favorite characters that they introduced so far was the gleeman and then they possibly killed him off after two episodes....

I really like the shooting locations and episode 5 was the first episode that I've watched in 4K on my new 4K tv and it looks great. I like the Loial character that they just introduced. I also like the Child Valda character, especially since he's not bland like most of the other characters/actors on the show. I'll finish this season. I hope they pick up the pace a bit though. It's been a bit of a slow go except for the battle in episode 1 and 4. I'll give it a 7/10 so far.
Very minor spoiler for you but still a spoiler for future seasons:
Spoiler:
Thom is a major character


The following users liked this post:
lwhy? (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 12:56 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 62,476
Received 1,441 Likes on 936 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

While i admittedly dont know the character as i have not read the books....I reeeeeaallly hated the way the actor portrayed "Child Valda". I mean talk about a cartoony villain. Maybe they wanted Child like that and the actor didnt have the tools/presence to pull it off? I don't know...

Either way, i was glad to see him get stuck even if he isn't dead.
Old 12-05-21, 01:02 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,023
Received 624 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
While i admittedly dont know the character as i have not read the books....I reeeeeaallly hated the way the actor portrayed "Child Valda". I mean talk about a cartoony villain. Maybe they wanted Child like that and the actor didnt have the tools/presence to pull it off? I don't know...

Either way, i was glad to see him get stuck even if he isn't dead.
I'll take cartoony and over the top compared to the bland acting from the rest of the cast.
Old 12-05-21, 01:07 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 62,476
Received 1,441 Likes on 936 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I'll take cartoony and over the top compared to the bland acting from the rest of the cast.
Do You, Bro...

Cartoony Child Valda made me want to skip past all the scenes with him in it.
Old 12-05-21, 01:16 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,023
Received 624 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Do You, Bro...

Cartoony Child Valda made me want to skip past all the scenes with him in it.
I prefer his character to the possible five "dragons", but we each can have differing opinions. I like him, you don't. Most of the acting is bland and I'll take an over the top villian.
Old 12-05-21, 01:28 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 62,476
Received 1,441 Likes on 936 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I prefer his character to the possible five "dragons", but we each can have differing opinions. I like him, you don't. Most of the acting is bland and I'll take an over the top villian.
I don't disagree on the others being Bland. Like i said earlier in here, so far this series has been a big bland generic European culture fantasy piece. This has nothing new, nothing in it stands out, and though im hoping things will get better, i can't see how any of that will change. That said, I do like Rosamund Pike; so im sticking around for her...but even then, her scenes outside of the battles/Magic stuff have been kinda meh.

But im not so bored that ill give Child/his actor a pass. That's where we split...
Old 12-05-21, 01:51 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,023
Received 624 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

I just don't understand if they're spending $10 million an episode, why didn't they cast better actors instead of a bunch of unknowns?
Old 12-05-21, 01:53 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,023
Received 624 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Question for the book readers. Should I wait until I finish watching season one before I start the first book? It's over 700 pages, so I won't get too far in before I finish season one.
Old 12-05-21, 03:23 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 42,255
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by JasonF
The showrunner did an AMA on Reddit and basically said "Look, we can use makeup and practical effects and have the character appear as much as he does in the books, or we can use CGI and use the character a lot less because of budget constraints." I agree that it would have been cool to see a more non-human looking Loial, but given the realities, I think they made the right choice.
I hope this doesn't bode ill for Amazon's Lord of the Rings series...

But considering what they paid the Tolkien estate for the rights, I'd hope they wouldn't cut corners on the production.
Old 12-05-21, 05:00 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

I read the books after the adaptation was announced, I wouldn't consider myself a super fan or anything... glad I read them but I don't think it's something I'll read again.

So this may be my prior knowledge of the characters skewing my opinion but I think the 5 main young cast are fine and playing the characters as they are supposed to be (sheltered country people thrown into a whole new world), we'll see how the acting goes as the characters evolve. My favorite book character is Mat and I've enjoyed his portrayal the most so it's a bummer that he's been recast.

As a non super fan there's really nothing that I HAVE to see adapted and I can't see any changes bothering me. The visual of Loial casually pulling giant books out of his pockets would have been cool, but oh well.

For anyone that has read more recently/remembers better, was the mystery of who the potential Dragon was a thing for this long in the books? The way I remember Moraine had the belief it was that person when they left the Two Rivers.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 05:28 PM
  #117  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 650
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm sorry I just roll my eyes with anyone watching that can't be bothered to learn the characters names.
It's not my job to remember the characters names. It's the show's job to make them memorable and they are failing.
Old 12-05-21, 05:31 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25,583
Received 2,721 Likes on 1,789 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

I watched the first two episodes. So far Iím loving it. I have no prior knowledge of the books so I donít really know who anyone is or whatís going on but iím having fun watching it all unfold.
Old 12-05-21, 05:31 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 8,024
Received 193 Likes on 113 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

That sucks on the recasting of Mat. Iíd say he and actress playing Nynaeve were the only two of the Two Rivers five that really felt like they were nailing the characters.
Old 12-05-21, 08:17 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,029
Received 1,364 Likes on 847 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

As a book fan, I went and looked at the last three episode titles - and based on thatÖholy shit they are blasting through the first book

Overall I think a lot of the changes makes sense. The books spend chapters inside these characters heads. Perrin doesnít have a wife in the books but is racked by guilt and you only know that from knowing whatís in his head. So having him accidentally kill is wife gets the same thing across in a fraction of the time. I get it.

Itís pretty entertaining watching the series, hearing a small detail and knowing that that eventually becomes a huge thing in the books.

For example - there are some major flashbacks that happen in the books and explain more about what the previous ďageĒ was like. They havenít done that at all here. So itíll be interesting to see if those things eventually come up.

As for ďpuristsĒ - I never get that. Just go read the books again. Iím a big fan of the series but I know this is an adaptation. It would have to be the longest series in history to fit everything in.

PS. Nyaneve somehow has RBF in the books too, so it works here Sheís dead-on for her character.

Old 12-05-21, 10:10 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,858
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by Draven

PS. Nyaneve somehow has RBF in the books too, so it works here Sheís dead-on for her character.
I haven't seen her pull her braid once. 😄
Old 12-05-21, 10:54 PM
  #122  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,029
Received 1,364 Likes on 847 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by leeta
I haven't seen her pull her braid once. 😄
I want to say she did it in Episode 1 but yeah, it should be every other minute if it follows the books.
Old 12-06-21, 07:08 AM
  #123  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,829
Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Do we still not know why the recasting happened?
I did a search but couldn't find anything definitive.
Old 12-06-21, 10:38 AM
  #124  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: IL
Posts: 2,926
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by maxfisher
That sucks on the recasting of Mat. Iíd say he and actress playing Nynaeve were the only two of the Two Rivers five that really felt like they were nailing the characters.
I can't stand the current portrayal of Mat so I'm all in favor of the recasting. His path throughout the books is one of the few things that kept me interested in reading through that slog so seeing him played as a slobbering, charmless, whiner is a real let down.
Old 12-06-21, 11:07 AM
  #125  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 43,206
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
For anyone that has read more recently/remembers better, was the mystery of who the potential Dragon was a thing for this long in the books? The way I remember Moraine had the belief it was that person when they left the Two Rivers.
I don't think it's definitively established until the end of the first book, but it's pretty well telegraphed long before then. By the point in the story the show is at, there's no real mystery any more in the books, especially if you take into account which characters' viewpoints we're seeing more of.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.