Reload this Page >

The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

Old 11-18-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: The Wheel of Time (Amazon) -- premieres 11/19/21

...are you people serious? You can't even pronounce the names of the main characters in Wheel of Time compared to GoT or LoTR. Yes, characters in those latter series may have odd names, but at least they are pronounceable

LoTR main characters:

Frodo
Aragorn
Boromir
Merry
Pippin
Samwise
Gandalf
Legloas
Gimli

GoT main characters:
Robb
Robert
Jon
Jaime
Cersei
Dany
Jorah
Sansa
Arya
Theon
Bran
Joffrey
The Hound
Ned
Stannis
Bronn
Varys
Littlefinger
Tyrion
Samwell

Wheel of Time
Nynaeve al'Marea
Egwene al'Vere
Rand al'Thor
Matrim

Case closed.
Old 11-18-21, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

When I was reading the series, I didn't have a problem with any of their names as spelled, except for Nynaeve. I just read it as Nynaveve, and moved on with life. I haven't heard if my pronunciations of Egwene, Rand, and Matrim are incorrect.
Old 11-18-21, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Rand is hard to pronounce? And Matrim is referred to as Mat 99% of the time.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (11-18-21)
Old 11-18-21, 06:55 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

The first three episodes are now up.
The following 4 users liked this post by dex14:
chowderhead (11-18-21), lwhy? (11-18-21), Rodney2187 (11-18-21), Wolf359 (11-18-21)
Old 11-18-21, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The first three episodes are now up.
Thanks! I'll check the first episode out tonight.
Old 11-18-21, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Why do these fantasy series outside of LoTR and GoT have to have such goofy/impossible to remember names for characters and places?
I’m sure I’m missing out on some good stuff but this is one of the primary reasons why I don’t read many fantasy books. I don’t want to spend 300-500 pages fucking up everyone’s names.
Old 11-18-21, 08:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I watched the first episode and was blown away. The production values look high and I was especially impressed by the soundtrack.
Old 11-19-21, 09:15 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

It didn't blow me away or get me hooked, but I will watch the rest of the season since it is only 8 episodes. The creature design and execution were pretty great.
Old 11-19-21, 10:05 AM

I was worried it would be something like Shannara was, but it's significantly better than that, so I guess it blew me away relative to what I was expecting.
Old 11-19-21, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I watched the first episode last night and will watch more. Everything was happening really fast. I have a question.
Spoiler:
The blacksmith guy in a blood rage essentially killed his wife by accident right?
Old 11-19-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 827 Posts

^ yes

I saw two episodes and found it... watchable. It's pretty to look at, there's some obvious CGI, but aside from Rosamund Pike's character, I find the other characters... a tad boring. This ain't no GOT or LOTR.

I agree with this:

“Wheel” does have time to develop; it has already been picked up for a second season. What it lacks is a voice. Or rather it has one, but it’s the stiff New Agey dialect of generic high fantasy. Maybe this is a carry-over of Jordan’s ponderous prose; maybe it’s the effect of too much cautious respect for the source material. But listening to one character after another hold forth on the turnings of the Wheel, I longed for a Gollum or an Arya Stark to kick some life into the works.

From its opening minutes, “The Wheel of Time” is epic in scale. But deep into its first season, it is not yet human in scale. It’s pretty to look at, though. Early on, the wanderers take refuge in a cursed city, its deserted streets lined with baroque architecture and statuary. “Wheel,” as a production, feels like that. It’s a breathtakingly detailed edifice with no people in it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/18/a...l-of-time.html

Last edited by eXcentris; 11-19-21 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-20-21, 10:12 AM

I watched the first three episodes again and was even more impressed. I think this show is a lot more than just visuals. They're just getting started with the world building and character introductions. I'm less familiar with these books having read them over 20 years ago, but I'm sure some of what seems insignificant now is actually foreshadowing for later on. The comparisons to Game of Thrones are inevitable, but I think the source material is vastly different despite the fantasy setting. It's also unfair to compare three episodes with eight seasons. Let's not forget that both could be good. One doesn't have to be great and the other garbage, but it's often easy to slip into extremes. I think the soundtrack also deserves mention. It might be my favorite aspect so far. They've been filming the second season since July. Looks like they're committed to telling this story and I'm eager to go along for the ride.
Old 11-20-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
^ yes

I saw two episodes and found it... watchable. It's pretty to look at, there's some obvious CGI, but aside from Rosamund Pike's character, I find the other characters... a tad boring. This ain't no GOT or LOTR.

I agree with this:
I think they have some issues in the first couple episodes balancing plot and character development. However I think that starts to change in Episode 4 and as the world building becomes more fleshed out the character based elements will be developed much better. There are some amazing arcs in WoT and remember that you are comparing the breadth of GoT and LOTR to the first 3 episodes of WoT

As an avid fan. I would say they are a about a 7 out of 10 for me so far. Really the first two episodes should have been an hour longer at a minimum to let them flesh out the characters and set the stage much better. A lot is unfortunately rushed, but like most shows it will take a while to find it's footing. GoT did as well, but once it did it flew (at least for a while)

I think you can see things really opening up in Episode 3 and now that much of the stage is set I think the show will improve with each episode. I am very encouraged. I understand the changes that they make, for a book reader the characters are pretty spot on and I think it looks great. People seem to always bash CGI but I thought it was quite excellent.

The story of WoT IMO is far superior than the LOTR and GoT, but it is also high fantasy and that is a more difficult sell for audiences unless it has LOTR associated with it because of how completely awful most of it has been to this point. Magic is at the core of WoT and it is not YA in any way so it will definitely need to increase it's audience over time.

As much as I can objectively rate it around a 7 so far, subjectively it is one of the best TV moments I have ever had. The stories have been a big part of my life over the last 25 years so seeing and hearing it on screen was an amazing emotional thing.
Rodney2187 (11-20-21)
Old 11-20-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I've only watched the first episode but found the changes from the book pretty jarring. It took me a while to stop viewing GoT through the lens of the books so hopefully I can get on board with this as well. Unfortunately, that issue aside, I found it kind of boring as a whole and I'm in no hurry to watch the next two episodes so that doesn't bode well.
Old 11-20-21, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by mugwump
I've only watched the first episode but found the changes from the book pretty jarring. It took me a while to stop viewing GoT through the lens of the books so hopefully I can get on board with this as well. Unfortunately, that issue aside, I found it kind of boring as a whole and I'm in no hurry to watch the next two episodes so that doesn't bode well.
second and third episodes are greatly improved.
Old 11-21-21, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Watched the first episode and some of the second and while I do enjoy the location shooting and score, the FX work and costumes look a little low rent . It's also obvious from what I've seen that they felt the need to give their name actor most of the lines and focus. I have the first book stored digitally somewhere, maybe I'll give it a shot. My understanding is that this is pretty different from the source, so nothing should really be spoiled.
Old 11-21-21, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Watched the first episode and some of the second and while I do enjoy the location shooting and score, the FX work and costumes look a little low rent . It's also obvious from what I've seen that they felt the need to give their name actor most of the lines and focus. I have the first book stored digitally somewhere, maybe I'll give it a shot. My understanding is that this is pretty different from the source, so nothing should really be spoiled.
It''s arranged differently and they are largely still hitting the main events of the books so reading it would be very spoilery. Like 100%. It is not a loose adaptation just some changes to help with exposition that is mostly in characters heads. As it goes along it will align closer and closer to the books. Don't understand the CGI and costume knocks they seemed great to me but people seem to always knock CGI.

Had some non-book reader friends watch it and the liked it more than I did so maybe DVDtalk is just a super hard audience.
Rodney2187 (11-21-21)
Old 11-21-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Had some non-book reader friends watch it and the liked it more than I did so maybe DVDtalk is just a super hard audience.
I think the fact that I spent over twenty years with the books and have a firm image in my mind's eye of what everyone and everything looks like makes it much harder to just accept what's on screen. If I hadn't read the books and just watched it as a TV show I'm sure I would like it better as well.
Old 11-21-21, 08:55 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I've read the series multiple times and I really liked it. They are hitting all the right beats (from what I remember, it's been a few years) and I'm enjoying the cast and the production values. I never read Jordan's pronunciation guides in the books, so it's funny to hear how badly I pronounced everything in my head.

Thoughts based on book spoilers:
Spoiler:

I initially didn't like Perrin being married, but I think it sets up his "I need to never lose control" mentality better than the books did.
I like the forshadowing with Padan Fain and how Mat is already being more suspicious while carrying the Shadar Logoth dagger.
Rodney2187 (11-27-21)
Old 11-22-21, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my favorite book series ever. Even though im meh about all the changes and the first episode was underwhelming I dig the show and hope the audience gives it a chance. This is probably the only shot this IP gets at adaptation. Also its pretty funny its seems like the entire WOT Reddit groups are having a meltdown over this while non book readers seem to like it.
Old 11-22-21, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally watched the other two episodes and I'm starting to come around. I appreciate the way that they're trimming down Jordan's verbosity to just highlight what's important. The introduction of the Children of the Light made it clear in just a few scenes what they were all about instead of dragging it out over multiple books. Hopefully they'll keep that pace going.
Old 11-23-21, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts

Watched the first three of these with my wife and I think it has promise. I read all the Jordan books twice and the Sanderson books once and, honestly, the details are fuzzy enough that I can’t recall how much they tweaked in terms of characters, plot and timeline. Most of the casting feels right, though I think the actor playing Rand fares the worst. If they get enough viewers to do the full story and do even a halfway decent job adapting it, it will be quite the series.

I know it’s probably not going away, but I wish streamers would scrap the weekly release schedule approach. I haven’t had cable or watched shows live since 2001. Before streaming took over, I would just binge dvd/blu-ray sets of seasons when they were released, so the move to weekly episodes feels really off to me.
Old 11-23-21, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Watched the first three of these with my wife and I think it has promise. I read all the Jordan books twice and the Sanderson books once and, honestly, the details are fuzzy enough that I can’t recall how much they tweaked in terms of characters, plot and timeline. Most of the casting feels right, though I think the actor playing Rand fares the worst. If they get enough viewers to do the full story and do even a halfway decent job adapting it, it will be quite the series.

I know it’s probably not going away, but I wish streamers would scrap the weekly release schedule approach. I haven’t had cable or watched shows live since 2001. Before streaming took over, I would just binge dvd/blu-ray sets of seasons when they were released, so the move to weekly episodes feels really off to me.
Personally I love them going back to weekly with the major. shows. It allows it to build an audience and get word of mouth and makes it exciting vto watch a new episode. If you must binge it us available for that after 6 weeks.

Reddit may be going crazy but I think the vast majority of hard core book fans of which I am one really like it, and I think it will only get better as in many ways the books get better as well.

Had a friend watch with his family of non book readers and they all loved it. I think the first 3 episodes were rushed but on a good place to sort of breathe now.
Old 11-26-21, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Episode 4 was so much better! That ending was great. I really disliked nynaeve and the sour face she always has but she totally redeemed herself here. I am in for the rest of the season.

Last edited by chowderhead; 11-29-21 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-26-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Heard of the books but never read them. So far, 3 eps in, this feels like a generic European culture based fantasy show. NOTHING stand outs and nothing seems new here. I'm a Rosamund Pike fan so I'll stick around and give it a chance....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.