Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 13 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/31/21

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 09:08 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 13 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/31/21

Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave Doctor Who in a trio of Specials in 2022

Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave Doctor Who in a trio of Specials, culminating in an epic blockbuster Special to air in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC’s Centenary celebrations.

Having been in charge of the TARDIS since filming for the Thirteenth Doctor began in 2017, Showrunner Chris Chibnall and the Thirteenth Doctor, Jodie Whittaker, have confirmed they will be moving on from the most famous police box on Earth - and the universe.

With a six-part Event Serial announced for the autumn, and two Specials already planned for 2022, BBC One has now asked for an additional final feature length adventure for the Thirteenth Doctor, to form a trio of Specials for 2022, before the Doctor regenerates once more.

After taking the helm of the show, Chris Chibnall made the groundbreaking decision to cast Jodie Whittaker as the first female Doctor. He also brought in ‘the fam’ of Tosin Cole (Ryan), Mandip Gill (Yaz) and Bradley Walsh (Graham), and cast the acclaimed Sacha Dhawan as the latest incarnation of The Master, plus Jo Martin as the mysterious Fugitive Doctor, adding new characters, layers and twists to the mythology of the show.

Episodes such as Rosa, Demons of the Punjab and Spyfall have thrilled audiences across the globe garnering critical acclaim and award recognition, including two BAFTA Must See Moment nominations, along with multiple National Television Award, BAFTA Cymru, TV Choice, Screen Nation, Hugo, Saturn. and Critics Choice nominations. Under Chris’ tenure, the series has been awarded the Visionary Awards TV Show of the Year, the Canadian Rockie Award from the BANFF Television Festival for best sci-fi and genre series, while Mandip Gill and Vinay Patel were recognised with wins from the Eastern Eye Awards. The 2020 series won Best Science Fiction Show voted for by readers at Radio Times.com, beating out competition from The Mandalorian, Lucifer and The Boys, as well as winning both Best Moment and Most Incredible Twist from the Digital Spy Reader Awards 2020, for Fugitive Of The Judoon and Ascension Of The Cybermen. In 2019, the entire current cast and crew were awarded Honorary Doctorates by Sheffield Hallam University for their work on the show.

As the Thirteenth Doctor, Jodie Whittaker stepped aboard the TARDIS to begin filming in 2017. As the first woman to play the iconic role, Jodie has thrilled audiences with her portrayal of the Time Lord, winning the hearts of Doctor Who fans across the globe. Jodie’s multi-layered, warm, funny and inspiring depiction of the Doctor not only created a first in Doctor Who history, but in 2020, Jodie was voted 2nd Most Popular Doctor of all time, coming within a whisker of her friend David Tennant, in a poll of more than 50,000 fans for Radio Times.

Chris Chibnall says

“Jodie and I made a “three series and out” pact with each other at the start of this once-in-a-lifetime blast. So now our shift is done, and we’re handing back the TARDIS keys.

“Jodie’s magnificent, iconic Doctor has exceeded all our high expectations. She’s been the gold standard leading actor, shouldering the responsibility of being the first female Doctor with style, strength, warmth, generosity and humour. She captured the public imagination and continues to inspire adoration around the world, as well as from everyone on the production. I can’t imagine working with a more inspiring Doctor – so I’m not going to!

“For me, leading this exceptional team has been unrivalled creative fun, and one of the great joys of my career. I’m so proud of the people we’ve worked with and the stories we’ve told. To finish our time on the show with an additional Special, after the pandemic changed and challenged our production plans, is a lovely bonus. It’s great that the climax of the Thirteenth Doctor’s story will be at the heart(s) of the BBC’s centenary celebrations.

“I wish our successors - whoever the BBC and BBC Studios choose - as much fun as we’ve had. They’re in for a treat!”

Jodie Whittaker adds

“In 2017 I opened my glorious gift box of size 13 shoes. I could not have guessed the brilliant adventures, worlds and wonders I was to see in them. My heart is so full of love for this show, for the team who make it, for the fans who watch it and for what it has brought to my life. And I cannot thank Chris enough for entrusting me with his incredible stories. We knew that we wanted to ride this wave side by side, and pass on the baton together. So here we are, weeks away from wrapping on the best job I have ever had. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to express what this role has given me. I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I’ve learnt forever.

“I know change can be scary and none of us know what’s out there. That’s why we keep looking. Travel Hopefully. The Universe will surprise you. Constantly.”

Piers Wenger, Director of BBC Drama says

“Over the last four years Chris and Jodie have made Doctor Who history and their time on the show is indelibly marked on our memories. From Rosa Parks to Ascension of the Cybermen, Chris and Jodie have given Doctor Who some of its most life-affirming and tear-jerking moments to date and we are beyond excited to see what they have in store for us in the new series this Autumn. Jodie's final adventure to mark the BBC's Centenary in 2022 is set to be a Doctor Who Special to remember. I’d like to thank them both for their incredible work on the show”

Doctor Who will return with Series 13 later this year.
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...o1Ud9td1rsFg#_
Old 07-29-21, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 13 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/31/21

So 3 and out was their agreement from the beginning. I can’t related to what the pressures may be (Tenant gave a glimpse during his video diary features), but it seems short sighted from the off.

So far, I’d chalk the entire run up as
forgettable. Hopefully he at least had a 3 year story plan and we’ll get some degree of closure.
Old 07-29-21, 09:35 AM

re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 13 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/31/21

I would’ve have loved to see another season with Jodie under a new show runner. A great actor who couldn’t shine in the role because of the bad writing, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Boondock Saint (07-29-21), milo bloom (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The BBC quickly following up that the future of Doctor Who will be announced "in due course."

It’s official – Jodie Whittaker is leaving Doctor Who alongside series showrunner Chris Chibnall, with the pair set to depart the TARDIS next year after a six-part series in 2021 and a trio of specials in 2022.

And the BBC has confirmed that the pair will be replaced in the coming months, assuaging any fan fears that the series could be “rested” or cancelled after Whittaker and Chibnall’s departure.

“We will announce plans for the new generation of Doctor Who in due course – watch this space!” the BBC said.

Radio Times
Old 07-29-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I hope Jo Martin is the next Doctor and they do as much as they can to retcon that "The Doctor is the Timeless Child" shit.
Old 07-29-21, 12:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I bailed after a few episodes even though I like Jodie from Broadchurch. Did it get any better? Her companions were so terrible.
Old 07-29-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I bailed after a few episodes even though I like Jodie from Broadchurch. Did it get any better? Her companions were so terrible.
There's some good stuff later in the first season, and the second season was better, especially with the addition of a certain Big Bad.
But overall, Jodie has been consistently let down by subpar writing. She has so much charm and presence and the stories just don't do anything for her.

I had really hoped she would get a chance with a new showrunner, but with the news that this upcoming season will be an ongoing serial, maybe they've brought in extra writing staff to help.
Old 09-24-21, 09:32 AM

Nice!
Russell T Davies will make an explosive return to screens to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Doctor Who in 2023, and series beyond. BBC Studios are partnering with Bad Wolf to produce.

Multi award-winning Russell T Davies will take control of the TARDIS once more as the next Doctor Who showrunner, succeeding Chris Chibnall who departs next year.

Russell T Davies will make an explosive return to screens to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Doctor Who in 2023, and series beyond. BBC Studios are partnering with Bad Wolf to produce.

Responsible for Doctor Who’s revival in 2005, he is credited with propelling the show into a global phenomenon and making it one of TV’s biggest hits. His tenure on the show oversaw a surge in popularity enjoying huge acclaim and success. The Doctor won the nation’s hearts through his masterful relaunch, which led him to create two spin off series, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures during that time.

Davies left the show in 2009. A lifelong Doctor Who fan, he has most recently achieved huge success with Years and Years, A Very English Scandal and It’s a Sin which won Best New Drama at the National TV Awards this month. Russell T Davies says “I’m beyond excited to be back on my favourite show. But we’re time-travelling too fast, there’s a whole series of Jodie Whittaker’s brilliant Doctor for me to enjoy, with my friend and hero Chris Chibnall at the helm – I’m still a viewer for now.”

Chris Chibnall says “It’s monumentally exciting and fitting that Doctor Who’s 60th anniversary will see one of Britain’s screenwriting diamonds return home. Russell built the baton that is about to be handed back to him - Doctor Who, the BBC, the screen industry in Wales, and let’s be honest everyone in the whole world, have so many reasons to be Very Excited Indeed about what lies ahead.” Piers Wenger, BBC Director of Drama says “As the 13th Doctor prepares to embark on new and extraordinary adventures, the winds of change are blowing… bringing with them news to delight Doctor Who fans across the globe. We are thrilled that Russell is returning to Doctor Who to build on the huge achievements of Chris and Jodie. Thank you to the two of them and the team in Cardiff for all they continue to do for the show and hello Russell, it’s wonderful to have you back.”
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...who-showrunner
Old 09-24-21, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Sort of just shows how much of a failure the previous showrunner/Doctor was.

I still need to finish the past 2 seasons but her companions were so damn terrible.
Old 09-24-21, 11:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm only a casual fan of the new series (I'm still like a season and a half behind or something) - I'm much more a fan of the older series. But I'm disappointed in the decision of bringing back RTD. The first couple of seasons of the new series were, IMO, two of the worst, and I found all of RTD's season long story-arcs to be terrible (Though I will say a few of his scripts were very good - like the excellent Midnight. And I've liked some of the non-Who stuff he's done.).

I would have preferred J Michael Straczynski, who was reportedly being considered.

Last edited by Defiant; 09-24-21 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-24-21, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it would still be nice for JMS to have input.

But as much as I’ve defended Peter Capaldi and Jodie Whittaker, they were more often than not let down by poor stories (Jodie especially). They just lacked the emotional weight needed to make the silly sci-fi work. And it’s embarrassing how Jodie was upstaged by the actors for the Rogue Doctor and The Master.
Old 10-16-21, 11:07 AM

Old 10-16-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, looks like they’re really pulling out all the stops to give Jodie a good sendoff. A little late, she was badly underserved by the writing of the last two seasons.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (10-16-21)
Old 10-16-21, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they really botched her first two seasons (Capaldi's as well), so hopefully they can turn it around.

Really hate to say this, but if they were going to cast the first female Doctor, they really had to knock her first season out of the park.
The following 3 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Boondock Saint (10-16-21), majorjoe23 (10-17-21), milo bloom (10-17-21)
Old 10-17-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, they really botched her first two seasons (Capaldi's as well), so hopefully they can turn it around.

Really hate to say this, but if they were going to cast the first female Doctor, they really had to knock her first season out of the park.
Thats an unfortunate truth. If a male actor had done the same stories, those two seasons would have been accepted as just middle of the road eps, but instead they were judged much more harshly.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (10-17-21)
Old 10-31-21, 01:15 PM

Season starts tonight.
Old 10-31-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 13 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/31/21

Just watched it on BBCA, but why is there an "extended version" showing tonight? It was bad enough watching it once.
Old 10-31-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 13 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/31/21

Does Chibnall just sit down at his computer and go out of his way to write the shittiest thing he can?

It's like he fucking hates Doctor Who and he's writing it out of spite.
Old 10-31-21, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I hated the last two seasons, I might sit this one out.
Old 10-31-21, 06:12 PM

Haven’t watched yet… but ouch.
Old 10-31-21, 08:37 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I didn't think it was THAT bad, altho I hate when they make alien races out of animals found on earth. It just looks silly.

Also not a fan of basing a show around an 'Earth Festival' like Halloween or Christmas. I get it that BBC does these special Christmas themed episodes but now they are spreading it out Halloween?

There is something dark and ominous about the Chris Chibnall era DW. Maybe its the constant reminder from this Doctor saying they don't actually know what's happening or have a way to get out of their bad situation. In the past the other Doctors always seemed like they secretly had it all figured out and really bad things rarely happened.

This could have made things a lot more fun and interesting but I agree, the weak storylines and strange companion chemistry just never really clicked. Hopefully this last year of episodes will finally get there.
Old 10-31-21, 10:35 PM
Suspended

I’ve watched maybe a handful of these early ones and didn’t care for it. Should I try again? If so, where?
Old 11-01-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I couldn't get into Capaldi. Bailed a few episodes into his first season. Tried to give Whittaker a try but that first episode was brutal and I never went back.
Old 11-01-21, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Watched it last night. For the first 25 minutes I thought the feed was broken because of all the random unrelated scenes. Then I thought maybe I was too tired and not focused. Finally realized it was how it was fucking written. The whole thing was meh.
Old 11-01-21, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Watched it last night. For the first 25 minutes I thought the feed was broken because of all the random unrelated scenes. Then I thought maybe I was too tired and not focused. Finally realized it was how it was fucking written. The whole thing was meh.
It kept feeling like I missed something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.