Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

La Brea (NBC) -- S: Natalie Zea, Jon Seda -- Disaster thriller/Sci-Fi series -- Premieres 9/28/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

La Brea (NBC) -- S: Natalie Zea, Jon Seda -- Disaster thriller/Sci-Fi series -- Premieres 9/28/21

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: La Brea (NBC) -- S: Natalie Zea, Jon Seda -- Disaster thriller/Sci-Fi series -- Premieres 9/28/21

Giant Sloth tastes like ostrich.
Old 10-14-21, 07:53 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: La Brea (NBC) -- S: Natalie Zea, Jon Seda -- Disaster thriller/Sci-Fi series -- Premieres 9/28/21

I finally got around to starting Episode 2. Watching through the recap of the first episode, it reminded me how bad it was. Then seeing the terrible sabretooth CGI in the opening of the episode... I was just like why bother any further? Tapped out.
Old 10-14-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

You're going to regret that stance once season 2 comes out.

(this is sarcasm)
Old 10-14-21, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

RichC2, LOL!! I love your optimism that we will get a Season 2, from your mouth to the network's ears.

I believe the preview for next weeks episode shows the cops son noticing that the heroin in his car trunk is gone, but I hope that the drug dealer dude is fine with some of the dope being used for a medical procedure and he does not menace any of the survivors because of the drug discovery in his trunk.

Also, I like to think one of the few excuses that will work on the buyers of your product that may prevent them from killing your sorry butt for any delays connecting with them would be hey dudes, remember that sinkhole folks fell into a few months back (assuming some folks get out of the hole in a matter of months on the show vs years), I also fell into the hole and oh yeah, we all also fell through a time wormhole so we were back in time around 10,0000 years BC (the dealers may think you are loco, but will probably not kill you). Yeah, that should be a good enough excuse to keep you alive, not to mention that the buyers of his heroin would have long since found a new supplier.

Anyway, Hot Air balloons, rope pulley systems, it all sounds good to my ears. However, when it comes to flying objects, it seams that there is an atmospheric disturbance that is preventing the smooth operation of things like unmanned/manned drones, stuff like that. On the other hand, birds did fly out of the sinkhole so there is that. Maybe it is just electric stuff that gets fried if you try to send it into/out of the sinkhole/wormhole.

This show is so far just fun enough to watch that I really can look past the meh CGI. If it becomes a grind or goes a bit too far off the rails I may change my mind but so far, so good.

Old 10-20-21, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I enjoyed the 4th episode. Only dumb thing this time was the dad hugging the daughter during the earthquake. Or they could get under a table like they teach you (in California schools).

The reveal that a previous team went into another sinkhole and could be the villagers is interesting.

Still a dumb show and I love it.
Old 10-20-21, 11:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It is dumb, but fun to watch for some reason. For me, she is a huge part of it.

Old 10-20-21, 11:25 AM

Oh, there were other dumb things the characcters did and said in the episode, but I enjoyed it enough to not focus on some of the dopey dialogue that continue to pour out of the mouths' of some of the characters. I did like the opening special effect in the beginning, of the modified drone/plane coming through the rift, kudos to the special effects team for that.

A pleasant surprise, the dude Zea had the affair with actually handed her the ring her estranged husband wanted to return to her, and the shrink guy telling the mother (older sister?) of the little girl that getting her to open up about what she saw was not a request she could turn down, I liked those bits.

The drugs burred in the ground storyline is just pointless. Like I said in my previous post, this is no longer an issue. Whatever was supposed to happen pre-sinkhole event is now no longer an issue and his buyers would have adjusted to the fact that through no fault of his own the guy they were supposed to meet for a buy cannot make the appointment. In fact, the guy could even plausibly claim that the drugs were destroyed when the car fell into the pit and blew up or something like that, how would the drug guys be able to disprove this claim? Like I said, a dumb sub-plot in the show that they need to move to the background and ignore.
Old 10-20-21, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

This show being bad is a feature, not a bug.
Old 10-20-21, 10:33 PM
Banned

I just almost died from a severe infection, I think I’ll go on a really long hike and walk through dirty pond water.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (10-20-21)
Old 10-21-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Okay I'm now caught up with La Brea after 4 episodes. I'm going to go against the majority here who think it's stupid and say that I've actually been enjoying it.

Sure, it's not "smart" science fiction and some of the special effects are dicey, but I don't find the episodes boring and they move pretty briskly. This show does remind me a little of Terra Npva and Land of the Lost.

I do think the Dad having his visions is weird and there doesn't seem to be a good explanation on it.

Delgado coming down to join the group adds a different dynamic to it as he has training to help the group. Although it didn't surprise me that he and Eve had a "thing" in the past because of Gavin's issues. At least they didn't drag out the ring thing and Delgado was forthcoming with Eve, especially about Gavin.

I did a little when that other scientist just happened to have an exact replica of the plane Delgado flew down with in her garage. I'm guessing this new group they located in the other military people that disappeared years ago.
Old 10-21-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I hope this show sticks around because it has the potential to get really stupid as they go on and try to layer in new twists. Like there's obviously a tribe of other time-lost people there. There's no reason why there couldn't be another rift from further in the future, so we'd have some future people showing up. And a rift from further in our past. And then the people that are living there already in 10,000 BC. Not to many any kind of time change shenanigans, like cutting down some tree means a different person is elected mayor of LA thousands of years later. Whatever! I want it all!
Old 10-21-21, 07:48 PM
Banned

Why didn't they fly the "good" plane to begin with?
Old 10-27-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Episode 5 reaction:

Probably the best episode so far. I didn't realize it was one day per episode until they mentioned it.

The mom trying to cockblock her son, when they decided to venture off in pairs

I got a laugh when the mom noticed the fire pit smoldering (after discovering the dead body in a ceremonial burial prep) and said "we're not alone". No shit!

The kidnapped sister plot sounds good. I'm intrigued.
Old 10-27-21, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ben12
I hope this show sticks around because it has the potential to get really stupid as they go on and try to layer in new twists. Like there's obviously a tribe of other time-lost people there. There's no reason why there couldn't be another rift from further in the future, so we'd have some future people showing up. And a rift from further in our past. And then the people that are living there already in 10,000 BC. Not to many any kind of time change shenanigans, like cutting down some tree means a different person is elected mayor of LA thousands of years later. Whatever! I want it all!
We're 5 episodes in and the ratings haven't budged for 4 episodes, which is a surprisingly strong sign for its survival. (0.6 demo, 5 million viewers)
Old 10-28-21, 11:45 AM

Glad that maybe, due to the ratings being low but consistent, that we will get another season of this wonderful show. It is so much fun to watch. I do miss seeing beasties like the giant sloth, more sloths and even noticeable CGI sabretooth tigers and wolves please.
Old 10-28-21, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It'd be nice if NBC did like Fox and released Hulu/Peacock numbers.
Old 10-28-21, 11:18 PM
Banned

That kid is grooming that college girl to be his bitch. He totally degrades her then he builds her up again. Now she’s got a thing for him.

Old 10-29-21, 10:40 AM

Eric, I also kind-of noticed that as it was obvious to me that she had a thing for the guy who likes to get high all the time. She even basically told him she was friend zoning him and then he started in on manipulating her.
Old 10-29-21, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It'd be nice if NBC did like Fox and released Hulu/Peacock numbers.
Why does it matter?
Old 10-29-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Why does it matter?
It doesn't matter. Ratings trends are fun to analyze even if it doesn't really mean much in the long run. Knowing what's popular/growing in popularity and what's not.
Old 11-03-21, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Episode 6 reaction:

That ground penetrating radar image on the tablet was so inaccurate! And I thought crime procedurals and their "enhance" surveillance footage scenes were bad. This GPR scene was so bad!

When the group was discussing who should be the first to board the plane, I saw a few extras (actors) in the background with red shirts. I thought they were going to die in the plane crash.

The scene with the daughter (on the radio comms), trying to convince her dad to end the mission and not get shot down was almost a ripoff of 24: Season 2 with Jack and Kim Bauer. If you know, you know...

Old 11-03-21, 12:31 PM
Banned

I think La Brea is the dumbest show that's ever been on TV.

Everything about this show makes my head hurt.
Old 11-03-21, 01:13 PM

Eric, but it is so much fun to watch! I love that the guy declares after finding the Civil War gold, hey I'm rich! Lol, the first thing I would do if I were the guy who always gets high and did the actual digging of the hole is use my shovel to crush in his head and then blame it on a Sabretooth attack (plausible, given where they are). Everyone on the show is letting the cop's brother lord it over them, so dumb. Also, there has to a finite amount of bullets so threatening a whole ton of people with a gun only goes so far, you run out of ammo and the next thing you know you are being torn apart by an angry mob.

I also knew that of course, they would have a shootout next to the plane that was just fixed but due to story reasons needed to remain on the ground, everyone knows that planes and bullets go well together, like peanut butter and chocolate, lol!!

But wait, there is more, almost forgot to mention the shrink turning his back on that psycho kidnapping chick and of course, bam...he gets a boot...I mean brick to the head. Of course characters on this show would act like the ones who run into the shed full of chainsaws instead of to the running car in a horror film (love that Geico commercial).

Finally, as first noted...tons of fun to watch this show, but yes, even my low bar to be entertained by what is on TV self is aware of how dumb the actions are of most characters on this show. For some reason, I just can't quit this show.
Old 11-11-21, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Episode 7 reaction:

Meh, the storm episode was ok. Seemed like some type of Mother’s Day episode

The drug dealer son making camp under rubble was dumb.

The pothead showing off his gold stash was dumb.

The daughter remembering the son was underage and not kissing him (yet). The guy must be frustrated haha

I thought Ty (only character’s name I can remember!) was going to hook up with the woman in the cave. I think he will stay behind with her if they have a chance to return to present day.

The only thing this show does right are the LOST references.

Old 11-11-21, 05:56 PM

MLBFan, lol at the only thing done right in the show is LOST references. For some reason, I expected a more dramatic episode . Still enjoyed and yes, Ty should totally hook-up with the woman in the cave who rescued him. I think we are headed towards the final stretch of episodes, because next week we are supposedly going to learn all about why the dad is able to "see" the folks trapped in the stitch in time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.