Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (AMC) -- The Final Season Trilogy -- Premieres 8/22/21 & 2022

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (AMC) -- The Final Season Trilogy -- Premieres 8/22/21 & 2022

Old 11-21-22, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (AMC) -- The Final Season Trilogy -- Premieres 8/22/21 & 2022

It would have been great if they actually killed off some of the folks in the spinoff series and not had the actual series for say Negan or something but they had to go the predictable way and not offer surprises or innovation. Guess they will never make up for not killing Glen and then killing him the way they did then jumping the shark.
Old 11-21-22, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (AMC) -- The Final Season Trilogy -- Premieres 8/22/21 & 2022

I liked the ending enough, but am looking forward to the spin-offs.
Old 11-21-22, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

For about 3 seconds there I was intrigued at the idea of watching at least the Rick and Michonne spin off. Nah. I'm done with TWD Universe.
Old 11-21-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

The ending sure had some cheese... and took a long time.

Not sure how Rosita got bit where she did when she was lying on her back for the few seconds the walkers surrounded her... and her thick clothing that had no rips in it.
Was that the first time someone said "walking dead" on the show? (Daryl said it).

Negan's wife just disappeared. So Negan and Maggie in a spinoff going to Manhattan - leaving their family behind?
Thought Daryl would hook up with deaf chick (who I think is really cute). The only relationship he's had in the series happened off-screen in-between seasons.

I guess the walkers evolving (able to climb, using rocks to break glass) are going to be used as challenges in the spinoffs - otherwise it's the same 'ole, same 'ole.

I think with these 3 true direct spinoffs AMC is fragmenting their audience.. unless they're just limited series.

In any case, I'm done with TWD.
Old 11-21-22, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

Not sure how Rosita got bit where she did when she was lying on her back for the few seconds the walkers surrounded her... and her thick clothing that had no rips in it.
Was that the first time someone said "walking dead" on the show? (Daryl said it).

Negan's wife just disappeared. So Negan and Maggie in a spinoff going to Manhattan - leaving their family behind?
Thought Daryl would hook up with deaf chick (who I think is really cute). The only relationship he's had in the series happened off-screen in-between seasons.

I guess the walkers evolving (able to climb, using rocks to break glass) are going to be used as challenges in the spinoffs - otherwise it's the same 'ole, same 'ole.

I think with these 3 true direct spinoffs AMC is fragmenting their audience.. unless they're just limited series.

I'm most interested in the Nega/ Maggie spinoff. I like the aspect of him trying to make amends for his past deeds while others still don't want fully accept him regards of any good he does. The Rick grimes spinoff/ movies took so long to happen that I'm not as excited about that show as I would have been. Daryll is not my favorite character, but the European backdrop gives that one some potential.
Old 11-21-22, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
For about 3 seconds there I was intrigued at the idea of watching at least the Rick and Michonne spin off. Nah. I'm done with TWD Universe.
I'm sure we'll see you in one of the threads next year
Old 11-21-22, 07:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

From what Morgan has said, Dead City is years in the future, so who knows if he is still married or not.

the finale was...OK. It was mostly just a season finale, with host of the main characters moving on to their own shows. I mean, no one cares about the Goldberg brother dying, he has been missing from the show for years. I guess Rosita was the big sacrifice but who cares.

I'll be watching all of TWD content, good or bad. Who cares, it's good cheese.
Old 11-21-22, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
The finale was pretty much predictable. We knew nothing would happen to the characters that are going to be in the spinoffs. It was obvious that Pamela Milton would be the one that ended up in jail as opposed to her son in the comics. Having Rick appear in the epilog to the episode but not connected to the story in any way was expected. Unless I missed something, I didn't see Negan's wife in this episode and no mention of what happened to her. At the end when they were all having dinner together, they showed Negan walking away into the sunset all alone like he had no one. But he wouldn't have been alone as his wife should have been with him somewhere in the community.

My wife and I were trying to figure out where Negan's wife went, as well. Very weird... I thought maybe we missed something, as admittedly, I don't pay all that much attention to the show, these days.

And, yeah, after all these years, the walkers are suddenly able to climb and use tools (the rock)?

You're right... Connie is very cute! She and Maggie were on The Talking Dead a couple of weeks ago, with Rick Beato, which is why I actually watched it. Both women were gorgeous.

I was sorry to see Rosita go, but surprised that she and the musician guy were the only two main characters that bought it.

It was kind of cool to see Darryl actually say The Walking Dead, after all these years.
Old 11-22-22, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

They couldn't end on a high note, since there was no build up. The Commonwealth just wasn't a strong group, regarding the story, since on paper they were the strongest group in the whole show. Pamela Milton was all over the place. Sometimes she was super smart, followed by super evil, super dumb and reasonable. The Standoff at the end was so stupid. The walkers weren't that near and they had plenty of time to open the gates, but even if Milton decided to be on the side of caution and keep the gates closed, why shoot people who climbed the wall? They were no danger and why didn't the people outside the gates just wait until the walkers were in biting distance?

I'm still interested in the upcoming spin offs, Daryl as a drifter could be interesting and if they give Negan back is swagger Jeffrey Dean Morgan is always one to watch.
Old 11-22-22, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Good thing they ended it, because they just had the characters do the most unbelievable and unrealistic thing in the show's history, and that's saying something.

Spoiler:
Where'd they find a copy of Living Colour's Vivid on vinyl??
Old 11-22-22, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Is it over? Finally?

Maybe now my one burning question can be answered ...

... what happened to Heath?
Old 11-22-22, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Is it over? Finally?

Maybe now my one burning question can be answered ...

... what happened to Heath?
They actually sort of revealed what happened to him, but you really have to have paid attention:

Spoiler:

On Talking Dead, it was confirmed that the RV Anne was driving at the beginning of "What Comes After" was the same RV driven by Heath in his last appearance.

* Angela Kang confirmed that Heath was captured by the Scavengers and was traded to the "Helicopter Group" for supplies.

* Furthermore, it also suggested that Heath was killed off by the CRM in The Walking Dead: World Beyond, as it was revealed in Season 2 what happened to all of the captured survivors labeled as an "A" (used as test subjects at the Civic Republic Research Facility).

https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/Heath_(TV_Series)
Old 11-23-22, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks god this garbage of a show is over. It's sucked for a decade. Funny the show had become such a laughing stock the comic creator quit the book mid run without warning lol. The Walking Dumb...ends.
Old 01-02-23, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

But I agree about the characters they brought in. Many of them I couldn't even tell you what their names are. And when I find out, I'll think "oh, right... that's his/her name"... and then I'll forget it again. I remember them as Goldberg-guy, deaf chick, chick who looks like a guy, Latina chick who is with them, Alpha's daughter, British Lawyer and British doctor. I'm probably missing more.
I think they just mainly wanted a United Nations cast. What an absolutely bloated cast full of forgettable characters. I know the "main" cast had to be saved for their spinoffs but they really wasted a golden opportunity to go ham. It's almost sad this ended with The Commonwealth; that had to be the weakest drawn opposition group .. there have been so many better baddies.

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Thanks god this garbage of a show is over. It's sucked for a decade.
Yeah, what a chore to make it to the end of this mess. Never been so thankful for a show ending. LOL at watching multiple spinoffs of this garbage.
Old 01-02-23, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Since this is the end, I think it's okay to complain about a show in here.

I remember being horrified for them (as a fan of the show) when they were captured in the rail cars. Maybe around season 6? I don't remember exactly when I gave up caring.

I caught up via YouTube series recap. That's enough for me.
Old 01-02-23, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/com...d-to-8th-2023/

The Final season (all 24 episodes) comes to Netflix on Friday for those who passed on watching it week to week.

I assume with it going to Netflix, season 11 will be removed from AMC +
Old 01-02-23, 08:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

when you replace Kirk, Spock, and McCoy with a show only about red shirts, the quality of said show, and the audience interest will diminish.

Old 01-02-23, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember when each episode had it's own thread and it would generate around 3 pages of discussion.
The final season is 24 episodes and a whole thread dedicated to it only generated 6 pages. Many probably dropped the show in previous seasons, and the ones who watched until the end just aren't interested enough to post about it.

This doesn't bode well for the spinoffs (aside from the initial episode or two).
Old 01-03-23, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember when each episode had it's own thread and it would generate around 3 pages of discussion.
The final season is 24 episodes and a whole thread dedicated to it only generated 6 pages. Many probably dropped the show in previous seasons, and the ones who watched until the end just aren't interested enough to post about it.

This doesn't bode well for the spinoffs (aside from the initial episode or two).
Part of the fun of those early seasons was watching each episode and then reading the threads here. Feel like that lasted 4-5 seasons then there wasn't much to talk about other than the drastic decline in quality.

These last 10 or so episodes were collecting dust in my DVR and it took me getting sick to finally make it through them. I will say it played way better as a binge than a week to week thing (and I also watched it on a streaming site where for some reason it had way better picture quality. Also watched with subtitles since some dialogue is hard to pick up.)

Can't imagine the spinoffs doing well although people will probably check out the first couple episodes of each just to see if there's anything exciting going on. Rick and Michonne characters drove me nuts by the end, so wouldn't watch that one if you paid me. Daryl, if we're being honest, is an extremely one dimensional character. Negan and Maggie have the most potential but unless they hire the team behind Black Summer - which wouldn't be a bad idea - will likely just be more of the same .. meet new community of baddies, kill the final boss and move on to the next community and repeat.
Old 01-03-23, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I never disliked the show, but the decline in quality was obvious and while they added a lot of good characters in the first couple of seasons, they could not find any interesting new character in the last couple of seasons, besides some baddies that is. Having no real ending is unworthy of such a great and cultrurally relevant show. To me it feels like the show hasn't even ended, they are just seperating the main characters and giving each arc it's own name.
Old 01-03-23, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

The final season is 24 episodes and a whole thread dedicated to it only generated 6 pages.
And a good portion of that was just making fun of how bad the show had become.
Old 01-03-23, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
And a good portion of that was just making fun of how bad the show had become.
And rightfully so.
Old 12-12-23, 06:17 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Finally got the DVDs and binged this over the past few days. I didn't find it as horrible as some in this thread but all those callbacks to early episodes they had in the Judith intros for the last 8 episodes really made it clear that the show I started watching 11 season ago is a very different show from what they ended with. I get it that its never been about the zombies and that the whole idea of 'zombie apocalypse' and end of society was just a laboratory for the writers to put these characters into situations where we could explore their relationships and past. It's basically the same thing Lost did with the island setting.

But part of the fun in the first few seasons was that the zombies were still new and scary and you didn't know what the rules were in dealing with them so each time they brought in some character like Michonne with her chained up pet zombies or used the idea of smearing zombie goo on themselves to walk among them it felt new and interesting. I don't know why they bothered introducing the idea of a 'variant' that made the zombies capable of climbing and using tools so late in the series (7 episodes from the end?). This would have been much more fun for the audience if they had thrown that at us 5 season ago.

It also felt like they didn't quite finish exploring the ideas of leadership and governance. Throughout the show the writers constantly wove in ideas about what a leader is, what their responsibilities are, how to take care of their people the best way, etc. Then it seemed like each community they encountered or leader was used as an example of different political systems to show the flaws or weaknesses in each - Negan was a cruel dictator, Ezekiel was a king ruling a monarchy, Maggie was a benevolent dictator using socialism, until we got to the commonwealth which was basically a corrupt democracy with a class structure much like USA in 2023. At the end we see our main characters all returning to the life they thought was best which seemed to follow Maggie's benevolent dictator model using barter and trade.

It would have been interesting to see if they kept the idea of using currency again and a free press or if that was considered part of the corrupt class system that made the Commonwealth a failure. I think they probably could have gotten another season or two out exploring this more but after looking at the ratings I doubt it would have penciled out to continue making this show.

Overall, a good series, it had some great episodes and some horrible ones and Im always happy to see new actors being cast which this series did in abundance creating a fresh new batch of stars. I also wondered about Negan's wife. I assume they addressed it later in the series he did set in NYC. I haven't watched any of the spinoffs yet so I wouldn't know.
Old 12-12-23, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix
I don't know why they bothered introducing the idea of a 'variant' that made the zombies capable of climbing and using tools so late in the series (7 episodes from the end?). This would have been much more fun for the audience if they had thrown that at us 5 season ago.
I assumed it was just a way to try and attract viewers to the new shows.... "Look, we've got new and improved zombies! Give it a watch!"... to give them more obstacles and try to gain people's interest.
I haven't watched any of the new series, so I have no idea if this led to anything at all.
Old 02-09-24, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm going in blind for the finale but my guess is that Rick comes back with a cure and saves Judith.

Edit:

Nevermind

Last edited by mhg83; 02-09-24 at 07:00 AM.