Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (AMC) -- The Final Season Trilogy -- Premieres 8/22/21 & 2022

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (AMC) -- The Final Season Trilogy -- Premieres 8/22/21 & 2022

Old 10-03-22, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 850 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (AMC) -- The Final Season Trilogy -- Premieres 8/22/21 & 2022

As die-hard of a fan as I was ... I have not had any desire to come back to this show. I left somewhere around Season 9 (I think).

The first few seasons were amazing and just shy of being damned near perfect. It had SO much potential ... and squandered it all away. Then it mutated into something that again had potential (rebuilding society), but never came through IMO.
Old 10-03-22, 07:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (AMC) -- The Final Season Trilogy -- Premieres 8/22/21 & 2022

there will be case studies about how AMC fucked up the golden goose.with this show.
Old 10-03-22, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
As die-hard of a fan as I was ... I have not had any desire to come back to this show. I left somewhere around Season 9 (I think).

The first few seasons were amazing and just shy of being damned near perfect. It had SO much potential ... and squandered it all away. Then it mutated into something that again had potential (rebuilding society), but never came through IMO.
It was Frank Darabont. They had something special. Only he can do what he does. You can even see it in Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

There are other filmmakers who aren't necessarily critically acclaimed, but have a singular talent.

Walking Dead held it together a couple seasons after he left and the fandom kept it alive.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (10-16-22)
Old 10-03-22, 11:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
It was Frank Darabont. They had something special. Only he can do what he does. You can even see it in Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

There are other filmmakers who aren't necessarily critically acclaimed, but have a singular talent.

Walking Dead held it together a couple seasons after he left and the fandom kept it alive.
He did what, 15 episode of TWD in total (including a short 6 episode season and not the normal 16) and people still think he would have held it together for the next 100+ episodes and spinoffs amid budget cuts and everything else that comes with an aging show.
Old 10-04-22, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 835 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The second episode was better than first. At least something actually seemed to happen. In general, I'm not really sure what's going on, who's fighting whom, etc. I still don't care about most of these new characters that they seem to concentrate on.
Yeah, I couldn't fully remember what happened before the break - but I didn't really get what was happening with what the leaders of Commonwealth and their goals... and I just accepted that they're "baddies" and the gang will need to deal with them. I don't care enough to re-watch previous episodes or even google show summaries to figure it out.

The Commonwealth has a population of around 50k... but the show does a horrible job in making the Commonwealth feel that large. I don't expect to see all 50k of people out on the streets obviously, but when they have these "events" - it just feels like it's happening in a very small town.

spoiler from the 2nd episode (episode 18):
Spoiler:
I laughed when they tried to create pandemonium from an "invasion" of around 7 walkers in the town square. People are running around everywhere panicking and screaming for their lives, meanwhile there are literally only 7 walkers walking slow as shit towards what looks like 100 people who have enough distance between them and the walkers to get away, and so much room in the town square to do it. Somehow the walkers caught up to the crowds - probably because it seemed like people were just running around in circles.
Old 10-04-22, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Around what episode does the Commonwealth storyline start at? Iím interested in seeing a bit of whatís happening.
Old 10-04-22, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I feel like knowing about the spinoff shows hurts this final run. We don't have to worry about Daryl, Maggie, Negan, and Carol. I'm guessing everyone else is expendable but who cares at this point. It seems like we've been waiting for Ezekiel to die from cancer for the better part of 2 seasons.

At the end of the day, I feel like even though the main show is finishing, it doesn't even feel like it's really ending. They're just splitting the characters up and continuing the story. They probably could have taken whatever storylines they've created and done a couple more seasons. This is just a branding thing. This franchise is basically dead.
Old 10-04-22, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Around what episode does the Commonwealth storyline start at? Iím interested in seeing a bit of whatís happening.
The bulk of it is season eleven, the current one. But you should at least watch season ten, episodes sixteen ("A Certain Doom") and twenty ("Splinter") first, and then you're good to go. The end of "A Certain Doom" is where it really starts, and that thread continues in "Splinter."

Old 10-04-22, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I feel like knowing about the spinoff shows hurts this final run. We don't have to worry about Daryl, Maggie, Negan, and Carol. I'm guessing everyone else is expendable but who cares at this point. It seems like we've been waiting for Ezekiel to die from cancer for the better part of 2 seasons.

At the end of the day, I feel like even though the main show is finishing, it doesn't even feel like it's really ending. They're just splitting the characters up and continuing the story. They probably could have taken whatever storylines they've created and done a couple more seasons. This is just a branding thing. This franchise is basically dead.
I mean, I'd rather know and enjoy these shows in a few months instead of shows like Game of Thrones which ended in 2018 finally getting a new show 4 years later. AMC is trying to capture whatever momentum TWD still has because the network clearly still depends on it. They just lost Saul
Old 10-04-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I mean, I'd rather know and enjoy these shows in a few months instead of shows like Game of Thrones which ended in 2018 finally getting a new show 4 years later. AMC is trying to capture whatever momentum TWD still has because the network clearly still depends on it. They just lost Saul
I get what you are saying but if any show needed a break, it's this one. There really isn't any momentum at the moment.
Old 10-04-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The bulk of it is season eleven, the current one. But you should at least watch season ten, episodes sixteen ("A Certain Doom") and twenty ("Splinter") first, and then you're good to go. The end of "A Certain Doom" is where it really starts, and that thread continues in "Splinter."

Thanks, I will check those out and continue with 11. Iíve read all the comics (even though things are totally different now), but I do want to see how this ends.
Old 10-05-22, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

A show so bad the creator stopped making the comic because of it lol...says it all.
Old 10-05-22, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I get what you are saying but if any show needed a break, it's this one. There really isn't any momentum at the moment.
AMC will clearly disagree with you as they have TWD coming to an end. Fear still going. Daryl spinoff. Maggie and Neagan spinoff. Rick and Michon spinoff. Tales just finished airing. 2 season of Beyond...it's a massive franchise that they sell all over the world. They want to keep it fresh in peoples minds and frankly, just don't watch it if you don't like them.

TWD is what let us have Halt and Catch Fire, Better call Saul and all the other AMC stuff we love that likely would have never happened or had multiple seasons if not for piggy-backing off of TWD.
Old 10-06-22, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

What a lazy way to wrap up this storyline.

And everyone that's get bitten by a zombie in the last few episodes is like the steamroller guy from Austin Powers. They just stand there being bitten.
Old 10-06-22, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
AMC will clearly disagree with you as they have TWD coming to an end. Fear still going. Daryl spinoff. Maggie and Neagan spinoff. Rick and Michon spinoff. Tales just finished airing. 2 season of Beyond...it's a massive franchise that they sell all over the world. They want to keep it fresh in peoples minds and frankly, just don't watch it if you don't like them.

TWD is what let us have Halt and Catch Fire, Better call Saul and all the other AMC stuff we love that likely would have never happened or had multiple seasons if not for piggy-backing off of TWD.
I have to disagree, ratings for the show are in the toilet compared to the good old days and AMC had some quality shows before TWD. They really milked this cow and took away any kind of suspense by announcing the spin-off shows so far in advance. They may have gotten my eyeballs back on the show if I didn't know we would have survivors carrying over. I'm mildly interested in seeing how this plays out but this thread will do me fine at this point. I really don't see myself committing time and energy to pick this back up.
Old 10-06-22, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
And everyone that's get bitten by a zombie in the last few episodes is like the steamroller guy from Austin Powers. They just stand there being bitten.
How did these people survive the first few minutes of the Z-apocalypse let alone years?

My completism forces me to suffer to the end...which can't come soon enough. The Commonwealth is the lamest storyline yet. Maybe in the last few episodes the intrepid reporters can investigate how this show become so insanely juvenile and dull. "This is what change looks like."
Old 10-06-22, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

If only Andrew Lincoln had stuck around for a few more seasons, it might still be interesting. I guess we'd have lost all those amazing projects he's done since leaving the show then.
Old 10-06-22, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 835 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
If only Andrew Lincoln had stuck around for a few more seasons, it might still be interesting. I guess we'd have lost all those amazing projects he's done since leaving the show then.
It's funny because during his role on TWD, he basically did nothing else but that show. And then he leaves and really hasn't done much in the 4 years since.
Old 10-06-22, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I have to disagree, ratings for the show are in the toilet compared to the good old days and AMC had some quality shows before TWD. They really milked this cow and took away any kind of suspense by announcing the spin-off shows so far in advance. They may have gotten my eyeballs back on the show if I didn't know we would have survivors carrying over. I'm mildly interested in seeing how this plays out but this thread will do me fine at this point. I really don't see myself committing time and energy to pick this back up.
Are you blind to ratings? EVERYONE is down. Broadcast can't even crack a 1.0 for scripted and this year .7 is going to be the TOP rated broadcast scripted show. TWD just pulled a .27 where the average broadcast show is .4. And really, who is watching on TV when you can see next weeks episodes an entire week early?

The had to announce the spinoffs. There is no way they can shoot and create a production around a show the mothership won't end until November
Old 10-06-22, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Coral
It's funny because during his role on TWD, he basically did nothing else but that show. And then he leaves and really hasn't done much in the 4 years since.
COVID probably changed those plans as they were going to start shooting his movies around that time.

But this dude is living off TWD money for life. Everyone can do conventions, autographs, all the toys and crap...damn. No wonder Melissa bowed out for her show. 11 years of hell in Georgia and she doesn't really need the money.
Old 10-12-22, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

The last 20 minutes of this week's episode deserves its own wing in the Unintentionally Hilarious Hall of Fame.
Old 10-13-22, 05:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't missed any episodes but when it's on, let's just say I'm not exactly transfixed and maybe I'm multi-tasking. The reason I mention this is I have no memory of what happened to that guy with the metal mask who carried the 2 curved blades. I haven't seen him in a long time, I guess he was killed off? I just can/t remember what happened.
Old 10-13-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

He was part of Maggie's new group, right? I think maybe he was killed when they had that confrontation with Daryl's blonde girlfriend. Of course, I could be totally wrong too.
Old 10-13-22, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,873 Posts

His name is Elijah, and he's still around. He just isn't wearing the mask.

He's the guy who held a knife to Lance's throat when he caught him trying to manipulate Hershel.
Old 10-14-22, 05:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, he's the African-American guy that's flirting with Lydia??? Had no idea, that was same guy. So, they have this bad-ass guy with a steel mask that doesn't talk and carries 2 cool curved blades and they just convert his character to another generic guy that most people have no idea about,

uh, good call, writers!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.