Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The White Lotus (HBO) -- S: Britton, Daddario, Zahn -- Limited series created by Mike White -- 7/11/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The White Lotus (HBO) -- S: Britton, Daddario, Zahn -- Limited series created by Mike White -- 7/11/21

Old 07-08-21, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,582 Posts

EPK that explains the series

Looks like it was shot during the pandemic as crew can be seen with masks in the behind the scenes footage.

From Mike White (HBO’s “Enlightened”), HBO’s six-episode limited series THE WHITE LOTUS, a social satire set at an exclusive Hawaiian resort, debuts SUNDAY JULY 11 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT). The series will air on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max.

Starring Murray Bartlett (HBO’s “Looking”), Connie Britton (“Nashville”), Jennifer Coolidge (“2 Broke Girls”), Alexandra Daddario (HBO’s “True Detective”), Fred Hechinger (“Eighth Grade”), Jake Lacy (HBO’s “Girls”), Brittany O'Grady (“Little Voice”), Natasha Rothwell (HBO’s “Insecure”), Sydney Sweeney (HBO’s “Euphoria”) and Steve Zahn (HBO’s “Treme”), the series follows the vacations of various hotel guests over the span of a week as they relax and rejuvenate in paradise. But with each passing day, a darker complexity emerges in these picture-perfect travelers, the hotel’s cheerful employees and the idyllic locale itself.

Recurring guest stars include: Molly Shannon (HBO’s “Divorce”), Jon Gries (“Dream Corp LLC”), Jolene Purdy (“WandaVision”), Kekoa Kekumano (“Aquaman”), and Lukas Gage (HBO’s “Euphoria”).

Among the employees at The White Lotus are the fastidious resort manager Armond (Murray Bartlett), who, after a sudden trauma, begins a dramatic downward spiral - and the down-to-earth spa manager, Belinda (Natasha Rothwell) who gets taken on an emotional roller coaster ride by a needy guest. The vacationers include the Mossbacher family – Nicole (Connie Britton), a successful type-A exec, who can’t help but treat her family like disobedient employees; her husband, Mark (Steve Zahn), dealing with both an embarrassing health crisis and a terminal inferiority complex; their teenaged son, Quinn (Fred Hechinger), a socially awkward gamer, experiencing the wonder of nature for the very first time; their daughter, Olivia (Sydney Sweeney), and her friend, Paula (Brittany O’Grady), sharp-tongued college sophomores who cast a sardonic eye on the lifestyles and belief systems of everyone around them. The handsome, entitled Shane Patton (Jake Lacy) is here with his beautiful bride, Rachel (Alexandra Daddario). Shane and Rachel are in the throes of young love, but as they get to know each other better in this new, intimate environment, clouds of doubt appear – and by the time Shane’s intrusive mother, Kitty (Molly Shannon) surprises them with an unwelcome visit, their fairytale honeymoon has begun to unravel. And finally, there is Tanya McQuoid (Jennifer Coolidge), a wealthy, unstable woman, recovering from the death of her mother, traveling alone to the hotel, looking for love and in desperate need of a massage.

6 episode limited series. Premieres Sunday

Mike White wrote and directed every episode.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-08-21 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-08-21, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: The White Lotus (HBO) -- S: Britton, Daddario, Zahn -- Limited series created by Mike White -- 7/11/2

Itís only 6 episodes? Wonder how Britton can leave this show with such a small episode order.
Old 07-11-21, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Re: The White Lotus (HBO) -- S: Britton, Daddario, Zahn -- Limited series created by Mike White -- 7/11/2

I watched the first episode. Iím not sure what I think yet. So far it was just a set up episode but with the exception of Daddario (and maybe Zahn) every character is unlikable.

If itís only 6 episodes Iíll probably stick with it but so far itís not super interesting. Daddario in a bikini and Zahn are enough to keep me watching. I hope Britton gets more to do. She was barely in the first episode.
Old 07-19-21, 11:41 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 92 Posts

I've liked it so far.

I've watched too many reruns of The Office so all I can think of during the scenes with the newlyweds is that I can't believe Plop landed Alexandra Daddario.
Old 07-19-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I watched the first episode. Iím not sure what I think yet. So far it was just a set up episode but with the exception of Daddario (and maybe Zahn) every character is unlikable.

If itís only 6 episodes Iíll probably stick with it but so far itís not super interesting. Daddario in a bikini and Zahn are enough to keep me watching. I hope Britton gets more to do. She was barely in the first episode.
Felt exactly the same way. We'll continue to watch but it doesn't seem to be "must see" from the first episode. The new upcoming Hulu series with a similar set up sounds more interesting.
Old 07-28-21, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Finally watched first episode, didnít do much for me. But itís only 6 so I will finish it
Old 07-29-21, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

This is a weird show.
3 episodes in, and I still have no idea what it's about, where it's going or what the point is.
But I find it strangely compelling for some reason ...
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
This is a weird show.
3 episodes in, and I still have no idea what it's about, where it's going or what the point is.
But I find it strangely compelling for some reason ...

i kinda feel ya. Lol. Itís weird as fuck.

but itís a murder mystery, from the opening airport scene of the series.

weíre supposed to figure out who did it. And good luck with that, most of these bastards are either crazy or suspect haha
Old 07-29-21, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 998 Likes on 673 Posts

I'm caught up and loving it.
Old 07-30-21, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 686 Likes on 509 Posts

They make sure that Daddario has a scene in every episode where she is in a bikini or topless, so I'll hang in, but I am finding the drama lagging. I can't be engaged in a murder mystery if I don't know who the victim is yet. And nothing about what Coolidge is doing is funny to me.

Old 07-30-21, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I can't be engaged in a murder mystery if I don't know who the victim is yet.
But we do know that, though ...
Old 07-30-21, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Do we? Daddarioís husband is such a dick, I wouldnít be surprised if the opening of the series with him alone in the airport is a false flag and he was alone because Daddario had enough of his shit and left him.

Iím also still an episode behind so maybe something happens in episode 3 that Iím not aware of yet to show us who the victim is.
Old 07-30-21, 12:45 PM

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't think it's so much a whodunit as it's a whahappens. So finding out who dies is part of the fun.
Old 07-30-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 686 Likes on 509 Posts

I don't. They said somebody died on the trip, but not who died. That's my recollection.
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
Boondock Saint (07-30-21), Giantrobo (07-30-21)
Old 07-30-21, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I don't. They said somebody died on the trip, but not who died. That's my recollection.
I think you're right. I don't even think they said the person was murdered, just that they died, though I could be wrong about that part.
Old 08-02-21, 06:10 AM

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Well… that was an “it’s not TV, it’s HBO” moment.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-02-21)
Old 08-02-21, 10:08 AM

The music score in this is hypnotic and Iím not the type of viewer who usually pays attention to that.

I enjoy this. It is so weird. A bit unsettling though.

only 2 episodes left.
Old 08-02-21, 01:31 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been watching this as well. Compelling enough to tune in every week despite all the weirdness and uncertainty. Agreed on the score - hypnotic at times.
Old 08-02-21, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
I think you're right. I don't even think they said the person was murdered, just that they died, though I could be wrong about that part.
I was wrong about this. The lady that's trying to chat with the honeymoon guy in the first scene of the series says she heard someone "was killed."
Old 08-02-21, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I've been watching this as well. Compelling enough to tune in every week despite all the weirdness and uncertainty. Agreed on the score - hypnotic at times.
Reminds me of Utopia's score.

Whoa, I looked it up and it's the same guy!
Old 08-02-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shane is the worst.

Uncle Rico!!!
Old 08-02-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

BEST. HEADLINE. EVER.

Old 08-02-21, 04:00 PM

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,203 Posts

More positive for him since the last time he was in the news at least.
Old 08-03-21, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

Just watched the first episode. They really give you nothing to cling onto outside of that opening death remark.

It's like Couples Retreat with less likeable cast.
Old 08-03-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Reminds me of Utopia's score.

Whoa, I looked it up and it's the same guy!
Yep... is it weird that Cristobal Tapia De Veer is the main reason I tuned in to this show?

He also did the BBC's Humans a couple years back. The guy's good!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.