TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel Studios What If...? (Disney +) -- Premieres 8/11/21

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Marvel Studios What If...? (Disney +) -- Premieres 8/11/21

Originally Posted by Mike86
And I didn’t say that. Again I was saying that I thought he was playing the part differently. It’s whatever. Apparently people just think I don’t realize that he was sick. I’m not knocking him, just something I was pointing out.
I kept wondering why he kept the Wakandan accent? I would have thought over time it might change and become more subtle/less pronounced since he wasn't around any Wakandans while with the Ravagers.
Old 08-19-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Spoiler:
Maybe they put Mjolnir in an elevator.

I didn't feel like Thanos was really all that weak, Cull Obsidian was on par with or stronger than Hulkbuster, which was on par with Hulk, who was capable of at least doing something to an armored, war-hardened Thanos. This unarmed Thanos easily had the upper hand against Cull with a weapon until Proxima Midnight stepped in (she's like supersoldier-level in Infinity War, but the MCU has issues with strength scaling). Plus this Thanos didn't seem like he kept "battle ready", as it were.
Spoiler:
Maybe he acquired Mjolnir before Odin put the enchantment on it when he banished Thor to Earth? Did we see anyone try and fail to pick it up before that scene?
Old 08-19-21, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I don’t think he sounded all that off and if I did when I watched it I would have assumed it was because of his health.
On the other hand, I couldn’t believe that was Benicio Del Toro. It didn’t sound like his previous portrayals of the Collector at all.
The Collector was completely out of character in this.

Overall this episode was pure fan service. NTTAWWT. I wonder what the reaction to this would have been if Boseman was alive and healthy and still playing T'Challa? It was a very nice tribute to the character, but sadly his death gives the whole story a bittersweet feel.
Old 08-20-21, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I thought it was good. Definitely better than Captain Carter IMO. It was a nice little tribute to Boseman and yeah a bittersweet end to his work on the MCU. And No I didn't think he sounded off at all. Even if he was having difficulty reading his lines, they could always fix it in audio post production.

It was weird though seeing Thanos play a hero instead of a villain.
Old 08-20-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I kept wondering why he kept the Wakandan accent? I would have thought over time it might change and become more subtle/less pronounced since he wasn't around any Wakandans while with the Ravagers.
My (British-born) Grandmother came to America when she was 18. Her accent NEVER left after living in this country for over 50 years. It can happen!
Old 08-20-21, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
The Collector was completely out of character in this.

Overall this episode was pure fan service. NTTAWWT. I wonder what the reaction to this would have been if Boseman was alive and healthy and still playing T'Challa? It was a very nice tribute to the character, but sadly his death gives the whole story a bittersweet feel.
The Collector in this episode reflected more as how he is on the comic books and less on how Benicio interpreted/ Gunn wrote him in the MCU.
Old 08-20-21, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

By the way, the case that the Collector had for the Avengers weapons is eerily similar to the one Red Skull had on the Old Man Logan storyline in the comic books
Old 08-20-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Disney+’s ‘What if T’Challa became a star-lord?’ is a repudiation of mediocre white men

Great opinion piece.

The episode starring Chadwick Boseman’s final performance bodies the entire concept of the white guy who gets to have it all, by showing what real heroism through Black guy magic, can actually look like.

Glad I'm not the only one that has ever thought Star Lord, portrayed by Chris Pratt, has always been lame.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-t-...214002474.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
IBJoel (08-23-21), lisadoris (08-24-21)
Old 08-20-21, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
My (British-born) Grandmother came to America when she was 18. Her accent NEVER left after living in this country for over 50 years. It can happen!
18 is a world of difference than a 10 year old. At 10 you're still developing and learning speech patterns. I had a pretty thick pidgin English accent when I moved to California at 12. I dropped it for the most part during high school, but I turn it on and off now depending on the people I'm with, definitely when I step off the plane in Hawaii or I'm around others from Hawaii.
Old 08-20-21, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Disney+’s ‘What if T’Challa became a star-lord?’ is a repudiation of mediocre white men

Great opinion piece.

Glad I'm not the only one that has ever thought Star Lord, portrayed by Chris Pratt, has always been lame.

Can't tell if sarcasm or not... but that whole article just reeks of shitty opinions based on racism. Reading it, Jason Johnson, the writer, comes off as extremely racist.
Old 08-20-21, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby
Can't tell if sarcasm or not... but that whole article just reeks of shitty opinions based on racism. Reading it, Jason Johnson, the writer, comes off as extremely racist.

Because he's black?
Old 08-20-21, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Because he's black?
I didn't know the race of the writer. Sorry forgot black people can't be racist.
Old 08-20-21, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Just randomly watched the Captain Carter, that was damn near a cinematic feature. How did they pack so much awesome into 30 minutes?

Also I remember reading the What If comics back in the 80s, but not this one. Is it new to this series?
Old 08-20-21, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby
I didn't know the race of the writer. Sorry forgot black people can't be racist.

The analogy he uses makes sense, though. It's like that bit in the news where the rich white teen was aquitted(?) or given a lenient sentence, because the Judge said that the conviction/harsh sentence could ruin his life and the kid has potential. When we all know that if it were a minority, they would have thrown the book at his ass. In the opinion piece that I linked, he makes the point that Star Lord is a white guy whose stupidity caused the shit that happened in the Marvel movies. He gets a "pass" in the MCU's timeline. It's a contrast/compare piece that obviously went over your head.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (08-23-21)
Old 08-20-21, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

I find Chris Pratt to be obnoxious in general, and wish he wasn't stinking up so many franchises like MCU and Jurassic Park.

He's like that one kid you used to know in junior high/high school who was kind of funny and charming, but over time you realized he was just an asshole. And I'm not sure if I'm talking about Starlord or Chris Pratt himself, since it seems like he plays the same character in everything I've seen him in.

Old 08-21-21, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Why does everything have to be about something. Why can’t it just be a cool episode of a cartoon based on a comic book series?
The following 6 users liked this post by Toddarino:
Boondock Saint (08-21-21), candyrocket786 (08-21-21), DJariya (08-21-21), Spiderbite (08-26-21), tanman (09-29-21), tommyp007 (08-21-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does everything have to be about something. Why can’t it just be a cool episode of a cartoon based on a comic book series?

I'm glad it's about something deeper. If it fires on all cylinders it's even better. IMO
IBJoel (08-23-21)
Old 08-21-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

... because we can't have nice things w/o having controversy to create conflict. Apparently, that's what generates views/revenue.

Old 08-21-21, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Just randomly watched the Captain Carter, that was damn near a cinematic feature. How did they pack so much awesome into 30 minutes?

Also I remember reading the What If comics back in the 80s, but not this one. Is it new to this series?
This is set in the movie universe, not the comics.
Old 08-23-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I will say that Chris Pratt's Star Lord took tons of shit as a character. I remember him being super criticized for fucking up the entire plan at the end of Infinity War because he's such an impetuous shithead.

The one thing I'll say is that people like Star Lord because he's an asshole who's usually trying to be a better person, and it doesn't seem easy for him. Personally, that's more identifiable to me than how T'Challa is portrayed who is basically "perfect." He never does anything wrong, he always makes the right decision. That's something to aspire to, but it feels unattainable, while someone like Peter Quill is still on a journey to be a better person, and all the failures that entails.

Regarding this episode specifically, I'm really starting to get annoyed at the power problems with Marvel. How the fuck was T'Challa tanking hits from super powered beings when he has no super powers at all in this version? I know, it's a dumb nitpick, and I enjoyed the episode overall, but man his head would've been caved in from one Collector punch.
Old 08-23-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Great opinion piece.

While I don't disagree with his assessment of the Star Lord character 100%, his overarching argument is a bit flawed. In this particular case, yes they are taking a person who cares only about himself and replacing him with a character that is trying to better those around him, showing what that person could do with the same resources and using them for good. Now instead of T'Challa replacing Star Lord, have Steve Rodgers replace Star Lord. My guess is you would get the same results.

I also don't believe that anyone celebrates Star Lord (or Chris Pratt) as the writer indicates as much as they are entertained by him. GoG are anti heroes, they aren't supposed to be T'Challa or Cap. That is why this episode was interesting because it replaces an anti hero with a hero and shows you what the result might have been.

Something that I find interesting in the dissection of the social commentary on the MCU (which there is alot of) is the fact that Killmonger wasn't wrong, and Wakanda (and by extension T'Challa) was complicit in the enslavement of people around the world through their inaction. It is also one of the reasons that, with Bozeman's unfortunate passing, I think Disney is probably kicking themselves for killing off the Killmonger character so quickly.
The following 3 users liked this post by beavis69:
Cellar Door (08-23-21), DWilson (08-23-21), Why So Blu? (08-23-21)
Old 08-23-21, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by beavis69
While I don't disagree with his assessment of the Star Lord character 100%, his overarching argument is a bit flawed. In this particular case, yes they are taking a person who cares only about himself and replacing him with a character that is trying to better those around him, showing what that person could do with the same resources and using them for good. Now instead of T'Challa replacing Star Lord, have Steve Rodgers replace Star Lord. My guess is you would get the same results.

I also don't believe that anyone celebrates Star Lord (or Chris Pratt) as the writer indicates as much as they are entertained by him. GoG are anti heroes, they aren't supposed to be T'Challa or Cap. That is why this episode was interesting because it replaces an anti hero with a hero and shows you what the result might have been.

Something that I find interesting in the dissection of the social commentary on the MCU (which there is alot of) is the fact that Killmonger wasn't wrong, and Wakanda (and by extension T'Challa) was complicit in the enslavement of people around the world through their inaction. It is also one of the reasons that, with Bozeman's unfortunate passing, I think Disney is probably kicking themselves for killing off the Killmonger character so quickly.
I appreciate your post. Thank you. At least you made a point as opposed to those that had absolutely nothing to say, because they did not want to tread on the whole "the dumb white guy gets a pass because he's white" that the article was talking about.
Old 08-23-21, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

All art is political
Why So Blu? (08-23-21)
Old 08-23-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great opinion piece.

He's supposed to be lame. That's why his introduction was met with "WHO?" and the Nova Corps was making fun of Star "Prince".
Old 08-23-21, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

^Exactly. That's literally the joke within the movies.
Do we need an opinion piece telling us Thor is vain?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.