Reload this Page >

Marvel Studios What If...? (Disney +) -- Premieres 8/11/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel Studios What If...? (Disney +) -- Premieres 8/11/21

Old 08-11-21, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 313 Posts
Re: Marvel Studios What If...? (Disney +) -- Premieres 8/11/21

The first one was just ok.. I kinda chuckled after Carter came out of the machine. "Hey, she turned into She Hulk!" Also thought it was weird. She's not Capt. America, but she's not Capt. Britian. Yet, she can wear the union jack.

I still think the thing that hampers this from being a great way to introduce other Marvel characters is that it's set around the MCU.
Old 08-11-21, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Am I correct in assuming that many of the characters in What If? (which I have not watched yet) had their animated characters show up in previous Marvel Animation shows/films, and these characters were not always voiced by the actor/actress most closely associated with them due to the popularity of the live action MCU films? I googled and see that David Sobolov voiced Drax in the animated series, but they did not even bother using him for Drax in What If?, so no continuity even between earlier animated series starring Drax. It clearly is not intended as a slight to Bautista that he was not asked to voice Drax, as Marvel Animation clearly did not set out to provide continuity between who voiced characters in past animated shows and who voices them in What If? I think that I see tweets like that directed at Bautista and feel that fans are trying to create a tempest in a teapot.
This is a Marvel Studios produced animated series while the previous animated shows were Marvel licensed and produced by other companies.

So the animation style is unique and most of the cast from the live-action films will be in this.

Previously noted missing in this thread: Brie Larson, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr

Also absent are Benecio Del Toro and Scarlett Johansson.
Old 08-11-21, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,044 Likes on 811 Posts

Yeah, this is clearly a show based on the MCU and not like tangentially inspired by like the other Marvel cartoons or, say, that video game. So it makes sense for them to bring back or at least imitate the voices of the original casts.

Though a What If totally disconnected from the MCU would be, IMHO, much much better because you could just go crazy with it.
Old 08-11-21, 03:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 455 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
This is a Marvel Studios produced animated series while the previous animated shows were Marvel licensed and produced by other companies.

So the animation style is unique and most of the cast from the live-action films will be in this.

Previously noted missing in this thread: Brie Larson, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr

Also absent are Benecio Del Toro and Scarlett Johansson.
^ were those, including Bautista due to money? Bautista i want to say scheduling conflict, perhaps. the others i would say money? plus, they've really said goodbye to their characters. maybe not ScarJo and Larson has the next CM, but with this lawsuit by ScarJo, i am sure we won't see her back in the BW outfit any time soon.
Old 08-11-21, 03:52 PM

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Speaking to CBM, director Bryan Andrews discussed What If…?

“We got a certain amount of voices in before the pandemic, which was great, then there’s certain ones that maybe had to follow up later […] For some of the people, we got them in somewhat early, but it’s the schedules of everyone. It’s crazy, some people we don’t get till way later and some things are actually being animated and they’re like, “Hold off on those scenes,” because they don’t know the dialogue yet, they had to wait because it’s tough, people are busy.”

As with anyone that’s ever done a group project, it is easy to see how difficult it would have been to secure this massive portfolio of actors for one show, especially with most working multiple Marvel projects at any one time too.

Andrews then goes on to allude to the recasting of certain characters in their alternate universe.

“It was awesome getting them all back, or as many as we could, they’re busy, some maybe can’t, schedules didn’t align, but we got a lot back and I think they were all pretty happy and excited to be apart of it, to play the different versions of their character…”
Old 08-11-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 574 Posts

I havenít watched this yet, but Iím kind of looking forward to it. I like that itís stand-alone episodes based in the MCU, but donít necessarily tie directly into the MCU. Iíve always liked What If or Elseworlds stories.
Old 08-11-21, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
^ were those, including Bautista due to money? Bautista i want to say scheduling conflict, perhaps. the others i would say money? plus, they've really said goodbye to their characters. maybe not ScarJo and Larson has the next CM, but with this lawsuit by ScarJo, i am sure we won't see her back in the BW outfit any time soon.
Bautista clearly said in the Tweet posted on the first page: he was never asked.

And scheduling conflict wouldnít be an issue since Del Toro recorded his dialogue for GOTG: Mission Breakout while making GOTG V2. Larson could have done hers remotely but more than likely chose not to. ScarJo could have done while doing post for Black Widow.

Money is not always the reason why actors will
not return.
Old 08-11-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Just watched the first episode. Eh. It was alright I guess. The animation style was good and I liked Atwellís voice work. But nothing was really a wow factor. I suppose if you like Elseworlds stories, youíll probably like this more than me. I donít think thereís really much to talk about. It was an Elseworlds take on Captain America the first Avenger, but only with Peggy Carter. And Steve Rogers was essentially Iron Man alpha.
Old 08-11-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I tried to like this but it just isn't for me. Bailing after the first episode. Pretty nice animation work and whatnot though.
Old 08-11-21, 06:14 PM

Yikes. I thought this would be awesome and something to look forward to…
Old 08-11-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

I really like the traditional-looking animation.

ETA: cel-shaded animation.
Old 08-11-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

Iíve always been a big fan of Atwellís Peggy Carter, so I enjoyed it.
Old 08-11-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
She's not Capt. America, but she's not Capt. Britian. Yet, she can wear the union jack.
There's already a "Captain Britain" in the comics who is tied to the X-Men, Arthurian legend, and the multiverse.

Maybe the name "Captain Britain" is a big can of Alan Moore worms they didn't want to open.
Old 08-11-21, 08:37 PM

I think this was a great starter. The animation style fit the time period. Peggy kicked ass and I loved how they mimicked scenes from movie when busted 107th out and came out shooting guns, similar to CA:TFA and loved how Steve was still involved and kicked ass. Really great start imo. Love these What if’s, and not so much multiverse, parallel universes which I guess this kinda is, but no like crossover shit. This was really done well and look forward to more.
Old 08-11-21, 10:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Was really looking forward to this, but I was bored out of my mind by this episode.
Old 08-11-21, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 281 Likes on 223 Posts

I liked it. Thought it was a good way of starting an alternate universe based around Captain Carter.

I wonder if Steve Rogers will turn up as this universeís version of The Winter Soldier? Or maybe it will still be Bucky because he could now become Steveís sidekick?
Old 08-12-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Was really looking forward to this, but I was bored out of my mind by this episode.
Yeah it wasnít very good. First Disney Plus Marvel show that disappointed me. Felt very unnecessary.
Old 08-12-21, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 824 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
As it was posted here, Batista said he was never asked to do the show. Iím guessing itís because of money, but Iím pretty sure Batista would have done this at a lower pay scale.

As for the first episode, it was ok, but the main problem is that it was rushed, due to them compressing a 2 1/2 hour movie into 40 minutes. Also, what made the What if? comic series work is that the little change that sparks a new timeline also sparks a new story. In the case of Peggyís Captain Carter, the story stayed more or less the same with few roles reversed and Bucky not becoming the Winter Soldier.
Old 08-12-21, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure what people who didnt like it were expecting? I am familiar with the comic as i read it growing up, so expected a short, self contained story which was a twist on an already told story in the comic universe. I thought the animation was great and pacing was really good. Not sure how someone could be bored by it, as it was practically 20 minutes of action out of 30 minutes total. The action was very well done for a cartoon.

This is popcorn viewing which isnt supposed to be deep or lead on to multiple other IP's. Enjoy being able to dip in and out and simply enjoy, you bunch of boring old gits.
The following 2 users liked this post by james2025a:
IBJoel (08-12-21), tanman (09-28-21)
Old 08-12-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
There's already a "Captain Britain" in the comics who is tied to the X-Men, Arthurian legend, and the multiverse.
But this is What If?

Maybe Peggy Carter goes back to the UK to represent Britain and saves Churchill along with Toro and Namor and they form the Invaders? This also leaves America without the face they want as the symbol the government wanted (that Rogers briefly talks about).

That's why I feel the series is hamstrung if it only involves the MCU and not Marvel as a whole.

And really, didn't the Loki series basically say these are variant timelines and they just pruned it.

I also feel it's a waste of Jeffrey Wrights' talent to voice this, unless he will be a live action Uatu. We already know the Watchers exist from GOTG2.
Old 08-12-21, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

My issue with this first episode is this really was just like palette swapping the character with very minor differences from how the actual story played out. They even "froze her in ice" for 70 years to give her the exact same issue where she leaves her love behind in the past. If you're going to do a What If story, why not really go into how the story branched instead of making it almost completely the same?

It was fine overall, but it doesn't get me excited to see what else they come up with.
Old 08-12-21, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Received 484 Likes on 306 Posts

I really liked it!

Of course I don't think "Different good person gets the SSS" is going to turn out too terribly differently, especially when the First Avenger storyline is very much about idealism and beating up Nazis. Future stories should look substantially different. I do think they'll be lighter in tone than the comics, though, which could end very darkly.
Spoiler:
I was expecting the "champion of HYDRA" to be Thor, who would then kill Red Skull and win the war/create a 70-years early version of the Avengers with Captain Carter and Iron Steve.

Old 08-12-21, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I wonder if Steve Rogers will turn up as this universe’s version of The Winter Soldier? Or maybe it will still be Bucky because he could now become Steve’s sidekick?
I doubt we'll see either of them. I believe this is an anthology series of separate, self-contained episodes that do not continue or connect. It's like Marvel's version of Twilight Zone.
Old 08-12-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
I doubt we'll see either of them. I believe this is an anthology series of separate, self-contained episodes that do not continue or connect. It's like Marvel's version of Twilight Zone.
I read in a review that Atwell would continue the character in the recently announced Season Two, FWIW.
Old 08-12-21, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
As it was posted here, Batista said he was never asked to do the show. Iím guessing itís because of money, but Iím pretty sure Batista would have done this at a lower pay scale.

As for the first episode, it was ok, but the main problem is that it was rushed, due to them compressing a 2 1/2 hour movie into 40 minutes. Also, what made the What if? comic series work is that the little change that sparks a new timeline also sparks a new story. In the case of Peggyís Captain Carter, the story stayed more or less the same with few roles reversed and Bucky not becoming the Winter Soldier.
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
My issue with this first episode is this really was just like palette swapping the character with very minor differences from how the actual story played out. They even "froze her in ice" for 70 years to give her the exact same issue where she leaves her love behind in the past. If you're going to do a What If story, why not really go into how the story branched instead of making it almost completely the same?

It was fine overall, but it doesn't get me excited to see what else they come up with.
I guess these are pretty much my comments as well. I thought it was fine. I enjoyed seeing Peggy in the Captain role, but it felt too compressed and too much of an echo of the first Captain America.

I always liked What If back when I was a kid and collected comics, but part of the fun was seeing how drastically one small thing can alter everything else. This just didn't feel that different. Still fun, though. It made me think about digging up whatever issues I still have.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.