DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Music Box - music documentary film series - EP: Bill Simmons, Premieres 7/23/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653321-music-box-music-documentary-film-series-ep-bill-simmons-premieres-7-23-21-a.html)

Decker 07-08-21 01:29 AM

Music Box - music documentary film series - EP: Bill Simmons, Premieres 7/23/21

This looks to be a really interesting documentary. Makes Fyre Fest look like the Met Gala. I remember what a shit show it was. Should make for a fascinating feature , though maybe a bit of a tough watch.

joltman 07-08-21 07:04 AM

re: Music Box - music documentary film series - EP: Bill Simmons, Premieres 7/23/21

Ooh, 17-year-old me was there, so I'm definitely interested in checking this out!

dhmac 07-09-21 09:00 AM

re: Music Box - music documentary film series - EP: Bill Simmons, Premieres 7/23/21

I remember this being a big MTV event at the time. And I remember that on the final day some idiots handed out candles at the concert hoping for some sort of candlelight vigil effect, cluelessly unaware that there are usually assholes in every large crowd. And then those assholes used the candles to set fires all over the place and ruined the entire concert forever. I think Woodstock '99 would probably have been seen as a successful concert about the same as Woodstock '94 if not for this.

cultshock 07-10-21 01:13 PM

I'm looking forward to watching this, the trailer looks crazy!

Why So Blu? 07-10-21 05:22 PM

I remember when this aired -- had a Direct TV mini dish and watched it across 3 days. Good times.

Josh-da-man 07-11-21 03:11 PM

Got a laugh out of Moby saying he could tell, from a hundred feet away, what the energy of the venue would be like.

Yeah, basically, when you see a bunch of "frat guys" you know there's probably going to be trouble. rotfl

Troy Stiffler 07-11-21 05:14 PM

I remember the 1994 one. But I really don’t remember 1999.

Bluelitespecial 07-12-21 09:44 AM

Seeing that trailer it looks like this documentary is being done through the 2021 lens of identity politics. The riots happened at the end due to greed and being a poorly planned show and all races participated in the destruction.

Decker 07-12-21 10:08 AM

You didn't get "Greed and Poorly Planned Show" from that trailer?

Nesbit 07-12-21 02:03 PM

I'm not saying I agree with the cause being anything to do with whiteness because this may not be the place for that and I haven't seen the doc but I watched that trailer again purposefully looking for people of color and unless it's VERY selectively edited it's a pretty white crowd. If people of all colors were involved in the destruction I'd be surprised if the focus wasn't more on the minorities because proportionately they would have been way more involved with the 99 to 1 ratio of white to poc I see.

Bluelitespecial 07-12-21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13956588)
You didn't get "Greed and Poorly Planned Show" from that trailer?

You absolutely got that from the trailer with them talking about the $4 water bottles and the overflowing toilets. I guess what I'm getting at is this documentary will likely blame Limp Bizkit for instigating the so called "white male rage" and sexual assaults and today that anger is now in "the wrong corners of the internet and reddit chat boards". Yes I know the audience is majority white but trying to say that Woodstock '99 had some lasting effect like that I think is the wrong comparison to make.

dhmac 07-12-21 05:02 PM

Yeah, a lot of documentaries seem to do that these days and make some far-fetched and almost conspiracy theory level claims about connections.

Decker 07-12-21 07:01 PM

I think it's impossible to do a documentary today about an event of 20+ years ago without looking at it through some sort of cultural perspective to assess what it means and what the take-away was. But even at the time there was a lot of talk about how the event was ruined by wound-up unruly drunk and high young men, riled up by bands that seemingly encouraged the behavior, most notably Limp Bizkit.

At Woodstock '99, as fans started moshing crazily to the ear-shattering screaming that passes for singing on his part, Durst told the crowd he'd been asked by promoters to calm the volatile situation. "But I don't think you should mellow out," he was videotaped saying. "This is 1999, mother- - ers - stick those Birkenstocks up your a- !"

He took it a step further when the band played its song,

"Break Stuff." "Ever have one of those days when everything's f- -ed up and you just want to break stuff?" he taunted the crowd. Shortly after, the crowd began destroying a tower and pelting the MTV crew atop it with garbage, and tearing planks from the stage. Durst, too, was videotaped coming off the stage with a huge grin on his face, elated at the response.
I think this might have been a "perfect storm" sort of occurrence where everything kind of fed into each other and led to disaster.

Josh-da-man 07-12-21 07:25 PM

Yeah, "perfect storm" is probably right.

Blazing heat, drugs, alcohol, adrenaline, testosterone, frustration, loud aggressive music... it's not a good combination in a big crowd. It's like the spark that sets of a powder keg.

It's not entirely to fair to single out "white males," though. It's really a certain type of young male, generally late-teens to mid-twenties, that can go wildly out of control in groups. Race isn't really relevant; it's just a bunch of young men who are fueled by substances and hormones, pulling off their shirts, and posturing, then one or two guys do something stupid, and the rest of crowd sees that as a license for mayhem, and chaos ensues. It happens at anti-police violence demonstrations, it happens at clubs, it happens after games, it happens at concerts.

Limp Bizkit is kind of a special case, where they're sort of a nu metal band, but they have a kind of "frat boy" appeal that most metal bands didn't have before that. Fred Durst is this kind of pudgy-faced, doughy twat with a backwards baseball cap, leaping around yelling about "break stuff" and "did it all for the nookie," and comes off the grand marshal of every of drunk, rapey fratboy in a way that the hard rock and metal bands of previous generations didn't.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-12-21 07:26 PM

You know it was a long time ago when Limp Bizkit closed a big festival.

Decker 07-12-21 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13956843)

To be fair, they were a headliner but the show closed with the Red Hot Chili Peppers singing a cover of Jimi Hendrix Fire to a hyped up and angry crowd who were just given lit candles to hold as a vigil. Best. Idea. Ever.

Why So Blu? 07-12-21 08:17 PM

Limp Bizkit didn't close it.

That night it was Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, and Metallica. Metallica closed it. The fires didn't start until the final night during the RHCP set - during their cover of Fire.

EDIT - what Decker said in the post before mine.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-13-21 03:46 AM

I assumed since all the mayhem started when they were on stage and probably a big mess to clean up for the next act but it was a long time ago so you know more than me.

Sad nobody will remember the music when they mention this festival.

beavis69 07-13-21 11:01 AM

Hate to tell you, but Limp Bizkit still headlines big festivals. They rarely tour the states anymore so the occasional US Summer festival is what they do now.

I caught as much of Woodstock 99 as I could on MTV. It was very evident that the organizers put no thought into who should be at the festival. Limp Bizkit didn't put any different of a show than they put on at any other venue. Alot of people seem to associate them with the fires too, which is funny cause they were on Saturday when that happened on Sunday around the Chili Peppers set. The difference between a normal LB show and this was there 400,000+ people packed into a hot shit hole with wildly overpriced food and water. Add drugs and alcohol to the equation and it's not surprising that things turned south.

Looking back at the performers list there are a couple of bands I have no recollection of being there (namely Insane Clown Posse and Megadeth). There are a couple of performances I still look up from time to time. I'm not a fan now, but at the time Kid Rock had just released Devil Without a Cause and his entrance was so over the top. DMXs set was really cool and you can tell how in awe he is by the crowd size, yet completely takes control of them. The RHCP set is pretty fun and of course you can hear them comment on the deteriorating conditions. Korn's Blind is probably my favorite version of the song.

Josh-da-man 07-13-21 03:35 PM

For reference, the Woodstock 99 lineup:

FRIDAY:

West Stage:

Spitfire
Oleander
The Umbilical Brothers
moe
Lit
Buckcherry
The Roots
Insane Clown Posse
George Clinton & The P-Fun All-Stars

East Stage:

James Brown
G Love and Special Sauce
Jamiroquai
Live
Sheryl Crow
DMX
The Offspring
Korn
Bush

SATURDAY:

West Stage:

Spitfire
Guster
Bruce Hornsby
Everclear
Ice Cube
Los Lobos
Mickey Hart/Planet Drum
The Chemical Brothers

East Stage:

The Tragically Hip
Kid Rock
Wyclef Jean
Counting Crows
Dave Matthews Band
Alanis Morissette
Limp Bizkit
Rage Against the Machine
Metallica

SUNDAY:

West Stage:

Spitfire
Mike Ness
Our LadyPeace
Rusted Root
Sevendust
Collective Soul
Godsmack
Megadeth

East Stage:

Willie Nelson
Brian Setzer Orchestra
Everlast
Elvis Costello
Jewel
Creed
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Limp Bizkit seems to get a lot of the blame for the fiasco, but it seems like most of the really bad shit went down the next night when Megadeth and RHCP closed it out. (I'm guessing that, like a lot of festivals, they had two main stages, and one would be broken down and set up while a band played on the other stage so they could have minimal downtime between acts.

Seems like the majority of the rioting didn't break out until the show was over, like everyone waited until the last band was finished to take out their frustrations over the way the event was run. I don't think any individual band could be really blamed for what happened.

And who the fuck is Spitfire, and why did they play all three days?

Decker 07-13-21 03:39 PM

That Sunday night East Stage lineup is one of the weirdest collections of acts I could imagine.

Mondo Kane 07-13-21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13957159)
And who the fuck is Spitfire, and why did they play all three days?

Never heard their music, but I know who their biggest fan is/was!

https://64.media.tumblr.com/a1bc08f3...36c9b3d1b.gifv

If you want the full vid:
Spoiler:

Decker 07-13-21 04:18 PM

I assume you are focusing on the girl in that gif, but I am fascinated by the cow that keeps popping into the frame.

The Cow 07-13-21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13957177)
I assume you are focusing on the girl in that gif, but I am fascinated by the cow that keeps popping into the frame.

:banana:

wishbone 07-13-21 05:32 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0dc1facc96.jpg
The cow says, "Oh way oh yeah, yeah ah ah, oh yeah yeah ah, oh yeah yeah ah, oh yeah yeah yeah!"