TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire (AMC) -- premieres 10/2/22

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire (AMC) -- premieres 10/2/22

https://www.insider.com/interview-wi...-to-amc-2021-6

AMC is going from zombies to vampires next year.

The network announced Thursday it has greenlit an adaptation of Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire" to series. The show, which will debut on AMC and AMC+ in 2022, will mark the beginning of a planned franchise around Rice's works for the network.

Last May, AMC acquired the rights to both Rice's best-selling "Vampire Chronicles" and "Lives of the Mayfair Witches" book series.

Rolin Jones ("Friday Night Lights"), who has an overall deal with AMC Studios, will serve as creator, showrunner, executive producer, and writer.

Mark Johnson ("Breaking Bad," "Better Call Saul") is overseeing the development of the entire Rice catalogue as a universe and franchise for AMC. Anne and Christopher Rice are non-writing executive producers on the series.

"The challenge of adapting for television the groundbreaking and immensely compelling work of Anne Rice is both intimidating and exhilarating," Johnson said in a press release sent to Insider.

"Having previously produced films from such singular works, I recognize both the responsibility and the obligation we owe the material," Johnson added. "I strongly believe that with AMC and Rolin Jones we are equipped to meet this challenge and to thrill and entertain both the loyal Anne Rice fan and the viewer who is just now discovering her work."

"This is a day we have been looking forward to since we acquired this legendary Anne Rice collection a little more than a year ago," said Dan McDermott, president of original programming for AMC Networks and AMC Studios said.

"We can't wait to share this new interpretation of the classic brought to life by Rolin and Mark, as we continue to work on developing the entire collection," said McDermott. "With 'The Walking Dead,' this Anne Rice collection and our majority stake in Agatha Christie Limited through our own Acorn TV, we are proud to have the stewardship of three unique, fan-forward and beloved franchises and universes, which we are only just beginning to explore."

"Interview with the Vampire" was previously a 1994 film starring Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Kirsten Dunst.

Old 06-25-21, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
re: Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire (AMC) -- premieres 10/2/22

I loved those books until they became a parody of themselves and unreadable. Vampire stories are almost never done well for TV so I really have my doubts about this series. I really hate how they simply speed up the film to make the vamps move faster than humans.
Old 06-26-21, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I loved those books until they became a parody of themselves and unreadable.
Yeah, the "Vampire Chronicles" is absolutely one series that has diminishing returns.

The first three... Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and The Queen of the Damned are really good.

The Tale of the Body Thief is an interesting concept, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Memnoch the Devil is kind of a mess. It's less a vampire book and more Anne Rice unpacking a lifetime's worth of Catholic baggage. And the bit at the end where Lestat "earns his red wings" unintentionally hilarious.

The Vampire Armand is kind of okay, but all of the man-on-boy sex in is just cringey as fuck. Rice always made a point that vampires didn't have sex, and now, all of a sudden, Marius is going all chickenhawk on a harem of boys.

Merrick was okay, though it was almost more of Mayfair Witches novel than an entry in the Vampire Chronicles, and made some changes to an established character that was never really followed up on.

Blood and Gold... I don't remember much about it, so I must not have hated it.

Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle... good Lord, these things were just fucking awful. They're from the time when Rice's husband died, and she rediscovered religion, so you have these scenes where Lestat is fawning over the Pope and ends up head-over-heels for one of the Mayfair witches (can't remember if it's Mona or Rowan).

Blood Canticle was intended to the be final entry in The Vampire Chronicles, but a few years she wrote a couple of new Lestat books. Haven't read them, but from what I've heard, she put aliens in them, who are responsible for creating vampires.

I would hope that this tv series adapts the first three books, then, if it continues after that, starts taking some serious liberties...

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 07-02-21 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Dammit, unintentionally left out the best part!
Old 06-26-21, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

I tapped out around Merrick, she had been one of my favorite authors until then. This could be a really good show but AMC has lost a lot of luster for me with what they did with TWD. I still like Better Call Saul but I can't think of anything else on the network I've enjoyed in a while.
Old 06-26-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Douglas Booth would be awesome as Lestat or even Louis. He was great in the underrated Limehouse Golem playing a theater actor, straight and in drag. I can see him dolled up as a vampire. He also played Nikki Sixx in Netflix's The Dirt, as well.
Old 06-26-21, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I will add that it is a crying shame that we never got The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned follow-up films to Neil Jordan's Interview with the Vampire with Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Antonio Banderas.

And, no, that godawful Queen of the Damned movie with Stuart Townsend and Aaliyah doesn't count. Was it even supposed to be a sequel to Interview with the Vampire?

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-26-21 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-26-21, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

This can’t be as good as What We Do in the Shadows.
Old 06-26-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

AMC will drag it out for 148 seasons like The Walking Dead.
Old 07-01-21, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, the "Vampire Chronicles" is absolutely one series that has diminishing returns.

The first three... Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and The Queen of the Damned are really good.

The Tale of the Body Thief is an interesting concept, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Memnoch the Devil is kind of a mess. It's less a vampire book and more Anne Rice unpacking a lifetime's worth of Catholic baggage. And the bit at the end where Lestat eats a nun's bloody is unintentionally hilarious.

The Vampire Armand is kind of okay, but all of the man-on-boy sex in is just cringey as fuck. Rice always made a point that vampires didn't have sex, and now, all of a sudden, Marius is going all chickenhawk on a harem of boys.

Merrick was okay, though it was almost more of Mayfair Witches novel than an entry in the Vampire Chronicles, and made some changes to an established character that was never really followed up on.

Blood and Gold... I don't remember much about it, so I must not have hated it.

Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle... good Lord, these things were just fucking awful. They're from the time when Rice's husband died, and she rediscovered religion, so you have these scenes where Lestat is fawning over the Pope and ends up head-over-heels for one of the Mayfair witches (can't remember if it's Mona or Rowan).

Blood Canticle was intended to the be final entry in The Vampire Chronicles, but a few years she wrote a couple of new Lestat books. Haven't read them, but from what I've heard, she put aliens in them, who are responsible for creating vampires.

I would hope that this tv series adapts the first three books, then, if it continues after that, starts taking some serious liberties...
She was my favorite author for a while but I realized ultimately she was saying the same things over and over. My last book of hers was half of Menmoch. I will check this out but it could easily go wrong.
Old 07-19-21, 03:15 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Director Alan Taylor has boarded the “Interview With the Vampire” series at AMC, Variety has learned exclusively.

Taylor will direct the first two episodes of the upcoming series and will also serve as an executive producer on Season 1. The show, which was officially greenlit in June, is based on the Anne Rice novel of the same name.

Taylor is no stranger to AMC, having directed multiple episodes of the network’s hit drama series “Mad Men,” including the pilot. Taylor is also known for directing episodes of several other critically-acclaimed shows, including HBO’s “The Sopranos,” for which he won the Emmy for best directing for a drama series in 2007. His other TV directing credits include “Game of Thrones,” “Sex and the City,” “Six Feet Under,” “Deadwood,” “Boardwalk Empire,” “The West Wing,” and “Lost.” On the feature side, he has helmed films such as “Thor: The Dark World,” “Terminator: Genisys,” and the upcoming “Sopranos” prequel “The Many Saints of Newark.”
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/int...3fb2dNwysd6_-0
Old 07-19-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Man, he directed the worst Terminator movie and the worst MCU movie? Doesn't fill me with hope about the Sopranos prequel
Old 08-13-21, 10:20 AM

Old 08-13-21, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Man, he directed the worst Terminator movie and the worst MCU movie? Doesn't fill me with hope about the Sopranos prequel
What Went Wrong With ‘Thor 2’ and ‘Terminator: Genisys’, According to Director Alan Taylor
https://www.slashfilm.com/what-went-...r-alan-taylor/
Old 08-13-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
What Went Wrong With ‘Thor 2’ and ‘Terminator: Genisys’, According to Director Alan Taylor
https://www.slashfilm.com/what-went-...r-alan-taylor/
Terrible stories?

Old 03-05-22, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I just read today that Assad Zaman had been cast as Rashid in this, and I thought to myself Who the fuck is Rashid?

Did a little digging and I found this...

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/...vampire-amc-2/

This sounds like it's going to be almost completely unrecognizable.

Looks like they moved the timeline up to the early 20th century instead of the late 18th century, Louis is a brothel owner now, and he seems to have a large family with a mother, brother, sister, brother-in-law, and a voodoo priest uncle. And the actress they cast as Claudia is twenty. And Daniel, the interviewer, went from being a young man to a seventy year-old investigative journalist...

And who is Rashid?

Rashid is a recurring character in his 20s-30s described as Louis’ companion in present day, he is primarily in the background of Louis’ mansion with his face in his tablet.
Why even bother getting the rights to the books and calling it "Interview with the Vampire" when it's basically a completely new tale that, aside from a couple of familiar names, bears little similarity to the story its supposed to be based on?

Not looking good...

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-05-22 at 06:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (03-05-22)
Old 03-05-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah this looks completely pointless for fans of the novels. Won’t even bother.
Old 03-05-22, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Licensing rights are always cheaper for secondary and tertiary characters. AMC is big on going after "brand" names in their genre programming. Remember, The Walking Dead was based on a hit comic book series.
Old 04-12-22, 08:43 AM

Old 04-12-22, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everything I've seen so far looks like The Great Gatsby with vampires.
Old 04-13-22, 04:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Everything I've seen so far looks like The Great Gatsby with vampires.
So NBC’s DRACULA?
Old 07-14-22, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 07-15-22, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

So I just read today that Assad Zaman had been cast as Rashid in this, and I thought to myself Who the fuck is Rashid?

Did a little digging and I found this...

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/...vampire-amc-2/

This sounds like it's going to be almost completely unrecognizable.

Looks like they moved the timeline up to the early 20th century instead of the late 18th century, Louis is a brothel owner now, and he seems to have a large family with a mother, brother, sister, brother-in-law, and a voodoo priest uncle. And the actress they cast as Claudia is twenty. And Daniel, the interviewer, went from being a young man to a seventy year-old investigative journalist...

And who is Rashid?

Why even bother getting the rights to the books and calling it "Interview with the Vampire" when it's basically a completely new tale that, aside from a couple of familiar names, bears little similarity to the story its supposed to be based on?

Not looking good...
You know I recognize that you need to change things sometimes to convert books to movies or series but lately adaptations have been really really loose. The Wheel of Time is changed so much it is not even remotely the same show. Just having someone named Lestat does not make it an adaptation either if you change everything.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (07-15-22)
Old 07-15-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
You know I recognize that you need to change things sometimes to convert books to movies or series but lately adaptations have been really really loose. The Wheel of Time is changed so much it is not even remotely the same show. Just having someone named Lestat does not make it an adaptation either if you change everything.
Hollywood has never much cared for faithfully adapting source material from other mediums but these days we're lucky if even 20% gets kept around.
Old 07-17-22, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The best that can come from this is a 4K UHD release of the 1994 film as a tie-in. Otherwise this show can fucking die.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 07-17-22 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-23-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

AMC just released the SDCC trailer. Premieres October 2nd

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.