TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Titans (HBO Max) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 8/12/21

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Titans (HBO Max) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 8/12/21

Originally Posted by ben12
I'm looking forward to seeing Tim Drake in action. My only problem is that I worry they won't incorporate the most interesting part of Tim's origin -- that he figured out who Batman was. In this show, it actually wouldn't be that impressive for anyone to figure it out. They casually tell some of their worst enemies their secret identity. But that was such a great way to establish how different of a Robin Tim was going to be. That doesn't seem possible on this show.
Guess I was wrong. They totally worked this in! Hope we see more of Tim Drake!
Old 09-18-21, 09:59 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I skipped season 2, though I may go back. Just finished the Season 3 opener and wow, I am hooked.
Old 09-20-21, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I just got caught up with the last 3 episodes over the weekend.

at Connor losing his virginity to Starfire's sister.

I did like the introduction to Tim Drake. Not sure how the hell they can redeem Jason. So he's just blaming the yellow crap he was sniffing that fucked him up. I mean he was also reborn from the Lazarus pit and doesn't that also cause evil and homicidal tendencies?

Old 09-20-21, 02:16 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I did like the introduction to Tim Drake. Not sure how the hell they can redeem Jason. So he's just blaming the yellow crap he was sniffing that fucked him up. I mean he was also reborn from the Lazarus pit and doesn't that also cause evil and homicidal tendencies?
In the CW shows that's true. I don't think that's original to the comics though (could be wrong), so this show can decide how they want to deal with it however they want.
Old 09-23-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Donna and Raven! And Hank!

The actress who plays Raven looks so much older. Crazy.

That seemed like a very un-Bruce like thing to do.

Last edited by Deftones; 09-23-21 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-23-21, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice to finally see Raven again.

RIP Hank. Welcome back Donna. =)

This version of Batman just seems entirely out of character...
Old 09-23-21, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
In the CW shows that's true. I don't think that's original to the comics though (could be wrong), so this show can decide how they want to deal with it however they want.
It is. The Lazarus Pit would temporarily drive Ra’s al Ghul insane after using it, and the more often he used it the longer his insanity would last. They stuck WW in the pit once and she went totally insane.

Its so odd seeing Bruce Wayne suicidal like that, something I’ve never seen in the comics.
Old 09-24-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I feel like in the past stuff the way they've shown Bruce as being kind of "Suicidal Adjacent" is when they have him obsessively putting his all into his Batwork and doesn't let up beyond his normal focus. It gets so bad other heroes have to tell him to slow the fuck down.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-24-21 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The reunion in the afterlife was Nice
Old 09-24-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The reunion in the afterlife was Nice
I know Hank mentions Aqualad, but I guess it would have been too much of a reason for Donna to stay if he showed up like Dove did.
Old 09-24-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The afterlife reunion was great in the most recent episode. Glad to see Donna back.

Bruce was really behaving weird and seeing him attempt suicide also felt off for his character. But then again, this is a much older and grizzled version who has probably grown disillusioned with life and his Batman alter ego.
Old 09-24-21, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm pretty anxious for Tim to become a hero. I really like the actor and how he's playing him.
Old 09-30-21, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Superboy's one finger knock out. Krypto has to turn himself in too. The cops thinking they can take Superboy.

Looks like we gonna get a new Titans leader!

Old 09-30-21, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Krypto is a fugitive.

No Man’s Land again. Getting tired of this storyline.
Old 10-01-21, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Krypto is a fugitive.

No Man’s Land again. Getting tired of this storyline.
This is like the third or fourth time now?

And how do almost ten million people live in a trash dump of a city.
Old 10-12-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I am really behind but just watched episode 4:

"Get out of my way or I'll burn off your dick" is a great sample of the show's dialogue and also kind of proves that after 3 seasons, this probably just isn't for me.

Spoilers abound for the first four:

I just don't understand who the hell plots the show like this.

Let's forgive for a second the blatant character mishaps of everyone on the show. I get it, this is an adaptation, these are not the comic book versions. But having said that, man they better come back around to why Batman just left Gotham like that.

But the plotting is so so so dumb.
Dick is a fugitive. Ok, let's pretend Bruce spent a ton of money getting him off the fugitive list or whatever so he's not a wanted man.
In broad daylight with cameras all over he abducts Scarecrow. For funsies. Doesn't even try to hide his identity. Because who cares if you break the law?
Dove steals a bunch of gold and downs a bunch of security guards, in her costume. Nope, doesn't matter. Just hops on a plane and leaves. Dick even tells the police commissioner but she's cool with it. And after her partner is killed, doesn't care, just lets it all go.
Conner is asked to come up with a deus ex machina and they are actually counting on him to do so. I did like that he's like "creating is different from copying." But nope, hey buddy, you got it, I'm gonna go do some other stuff.
Titans as a family. Like the entire reason Dick stayed was to mentor these kids and he does crap all for them. They go off on their own and don't even trust him enough to bring their problems to him, nor does he even care what they're up to. Starfire is like having episodes and almost kills her teammates but nope, let's call a friend from SF.
Hawk is told to follow a trail and then strips down to his birthday suit and swims across a pool. Why? Did someone call for a butt shot in that episode? That was the most mind blowingly stupid thing I've ever seen someone do, and this is AFTER he whines about how he's going to kill this kid.
I didn't expect a full blown Tamaran arc but, uh, a one man facility where Blackfire is being held against her will without any cause, and they just stroll in, almost stroll out, but then decide to break more federal laws which I'm sure there won't be repurcussions for. That is even more low rent than I expected.
Dick blames Jason for telling Scarecrow everything. Uh... you basically just revealed who you and Bruce were to him.

This is four episodes full of crap. These guys aren't a family, they're barely heroes, and this is the third season of them having to come together despite being dysfunctional.
Old 10-12-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I still haven’t watched any of the new season yet, and I’m not sure if I even will. I only kind of liked the first couple seasons, and it sounds like the new one is more of the same crap.
Old 10-12-21, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I am really behind but just watched episode 4:

"Get out of my way or I'll burn off your dick" is a great sample of the show's dialogue and also kind of proves that after 3 seasons, this probably just isn't for me.

Spoilers abound for the first four:

I just don't understand who the hell plots the show like this.

Let's forgive for a second the blatant character mishaps of everyone on the show. I get it, this is an adaptation, these are not the comic book versions. But having said that, man they better come back around to why Batman just left Gotham like that.

But the plotting is so so so dumb.
Dick is a fugitive. Ok, let's pretend Bruce spent a ton of money getting him off the fugitive list or whatever so he's not a wanted man.
In broad daylight with cameras all over he abducts Scarecrow. For funsies. Doesn't even try to hide his identity. Because who cares if you break the law?
Dove steals a bunch of gold and downs a bunch of security guards, in her costume. Nope, doesn't matter. Just hops on a plane and leaves. Dick even tells the police commissioner but she's cool with it. And after her partner is killed, doesn't care, just lets it all go.
Conner is asked to come up with a deus ex machina and they are actually counting on him to do so. I did like that he's like "creating is different from copying." But nope, hey buddy, you got it, I'm gonna go do some other stuff.
Titans as a family. Like the entire reason Dick stayed was to mentor these kids and he does crap all for them. They go off on their own and don't even trust him enough to bring their problems to him, nor does he even care what they're up to. Starfire is like having episodes and almost kills her teammates but nope, let's call a friend from SF.
Hawk is told to follow a trail and then strips down to his birthday suit and swims across a pool. Why? Did someone call for a butt shot in that episode? That was the most mind blowingly stupid thing I've ever seen someone do, and this is AFTER he whines about how he's going to kill this kid.
I didn't expect a full blown Tamaran arc but, uh, a one man facility where Blackfire is being held against her will without any cause, and they just stroll in, almost stroll out, but then decide to break more federal laws which I'm sure there won't be repurcussions for. That is even more low rent than I expected.
Dick blames Jason for telling Scarecrow everything. Uh... you basically just revealed who you and Bruce were to him.

This is four episodes full of crap. These guys aren't a family, they're barely heroes, and this is the third season of them having to come together despite being dysfunctional.
There are a lot of things that don't make any sense. The way Dick keeps saying and doing things that would allow people to figure things out. Why would he be so involved with all of this? No idea how he keeps doing things out in the open and no one says anything of it. The entire team is hardly together so far this season. Yeah, they are quite dysfunctional and a team like this would have a limited shelf life based on how they act. I can still enjoy it even when they do a lot of things that don't make sense.
Old 10-12-21, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
There are a lot of things that don't make any sense. The way Dick keeps saying and doing things that would allow people to figure things out. Why would he be so involved with all of this? No idea how he keeps doing things out in the open and no one says anything of it. The entire team is hardly together so far this season. Yeah, they are quite dysfunctional and a team like this would have a limited shelf life based on how they act. I can still enjoy it even when they do a lot of things that don't make sense.
Please tell me he at least has to go into hiding after the Scarecrow thing and they don't just skip over the consequences of him being caught on camera doing all this crap?

I mean, at this point (4 episodes in) everyone but Conner and Krypto should be on the lam or in jail.
Old 10-12-21, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Please tell me he at least has to go into hiding after the Scarecrow thing and they don't just skip over the consequences of him being caught on camera doing all this crap?

I mean, at this point (4 episodes in) everyone but Conner and Krypto should be on the lam or in jail.
So I should not tell you he keeps walking right into the police station? (There is some back story that will add in the fun as well)

I can watch non-perfect characters yet a lot of them are really messed up.
Old 10-13-21, 09:08 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I still haven’t watched any of the new season yet, and I’m not sure if I even will. I only kind of liked the first couple seasons, and it sounds like the new one is more of the same crap.
I liked the first 2, but this watching this season has become a chore.
Old 10-13-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
I liked the first 2, but this watching this season has become a chore.
Mainly because it's been all over the place. Titans has great little moments followed by absurd plot holes and mischaracterizations. It would have been better kept closer to the Wolfman storylines from The New Teen Titans to the new Titans. The Lazarus pit should have been accompanied by Brother Blood, not Scarecrow. And they wasted Jericho and skipped the whole Judas Contract (well.. they switched it up with Rose, but it's not quite the same).

I guess I'm the grumpy old man that wants a live action version of already popular comic book storylines that need little to no changes.
Old 10-13-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Mainly because it's been all over the place. Titans has great little moments followed by absurd plot holes and mischaracterizations. It would have been better kept closer to the Wolfman storylines from The New Teen Titans to the new Titans. The Lazarus pit should have been accompanied by Brother Blood, not Scarecrow. And they wasted Jericho and skipped the whole Judas Contract (well.. they switched it up with Rose, but it's not quite the same).

I guess I'm the grumpy old man that wants a live action version of already popular comic book storylines that need little to no changes.
As I said before, as a huge fan of Wolfman and Perez's NTT, I 'm the same way, but even divorcing myself from that concept the plot holes are just gigantic to me. Maybe I can't take the plank out of my eye or something.
Old 10-13-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I like a lot of the actors on the show, and the look of the characters, but the show is definitely rocky in terms of storytelling.
Old 10-14-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh damn Dick in the Lazarus Pit as the Joker.
Gar changing into a bat was sweet.

The whole thing with Tim Drake's family confuses me. Like the weapons and vigilante shit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.