DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Invasion (Apple TV +) -- S: Shamier Anderson -- Alien invasion series from Simon Kinberg (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653154-invasion-apple-tv-s-shamier-anderson-alien-invasion-series-simon-kinberg.html)

DJariya 06-09-21 11:57 AM

Invasion (Apple TV +) -- S: Shamier Anderson -- Alien invasion series from Simon Kinberg

Shamier Anderson, Golshifteh Farahani, Sam Neill, Firas Nassar, and Shioli Kutsuna star in this sci-fi drama that will make you question what you would do under extraterrestrial threat. Following multiple storylines across different continents, Invasion takes a global look at how one alien invasion would affect us all.

Premieres this Fall on October 22nd. 10 episodes are being produced. Simon Kinberg is producing it and it has also the creative team behind Hunters and The Alienist.

This is being filmed in New York, Manchester, UK, Morocco and Japan.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/simon-k...st-1203024701/

They resumed filming last August after being shut down due to COVID. That's pretty ambitious to film in 4 countries right now.

Deftones 06-09-21 12:17 PM

re: Invasion (Apple TV +) -- S: Shamier Anderson -- Alien invasion series from Simon Kinberg

Looks cool. All in for new scifi stuff.

Decker 06-09-21 12:28 PM

re: Invasion (Apple TV +) -- S: Shamier Anderson -- Alien invasion series from Simon Kinberg

That trailer doesn't do much for me. Needs more familiar faces, IMO. Looks pretty generic.

DJariya 06-09-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13943593)
That trailer doesn't do much for me. Needs more familiar faces, IMO. Looks pretty generic.

Neill appears to be the biggest star of this series according to the IMDB cast list

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9737326...=tt_cl_sm#cast

Anderson was just on that Stowaway movie on Netflix, but I had never heard of him prior to that movie.

and it was just a visual teaser. I'm sure we will get something of more substance when it gets closer to air.

Josh-da-man 06-12-21 04:50 PM

Big meh.

Looks too much like one of those mid-00s generic Lost knock-offs that usually only lasted for one season (wasn't one of those even called Invasion?) to generate much interest from me.

Runaway 06-14-21 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13944763)
Big meh.

Looks too much like one of those mid-00s generic Lost knock-offs that usually only lasted for one season (wasn't one of those even called Invasion?) to generate much interest from me.

Invasion was one of the better knock-offs back then. The pilot was actually pretty good, but so was the FlashForward pilot. All those shows couldn't repeat the success of Lost.

Shannon Nutt 06-16-21 06:49 PM

I love Sam Neill, but that southern accent is going to drive me crazy. Why was it needed? Just make him a sheriff who immigrated from New Zealand.

DJariya 09-22-21 06:37 PM

Full trailer

dex14 10-22-21 09:51 AM

The first 3 episodes of this are up.

DJariya 10-25-21 01:59 AM

I watched the 1st of the 3 posted episodes. Honestly it didn't really do much for me. The episode is called "The Last Day" but it was all character set up and it was pretty slow.

The 1st episode is the key to get your audience excited, but this was a lot of exposition.

Sam Neill plays an Oklahoma sheriff who's about to retire. I would say he had the most interesting storyline. However, at the end of the episode:

Spoiler:

He dies. IMDB says he's only listed in 1 episode. And they don't really show how. He's just playing around in some mysterious crop circle that has sand and then drops dead. He and his partner did some investigating earlier in the episode.

I'm not going to drop it after 1 episode, but it didn't get me hooked at all. I need to see the actual sci-fi elements before I decide if this is worth committing to.

Meathead 10-25-21 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14002525)
Spoiler:

He dies. IMDB says he's only listed in 1 episode. And they don't really show how. He's just playing around in some mysterious crop circle that has sand and then drops dead. He and his partner did some investigating earlier in the episode.

Spoiler:
Whatever was in the sand killed him. They show the sand moving behind him then a tentacle hits him behind the head and he drops dead.

I watched the first 3 episodes. Pretty boring at this point.

Bandoman 10-25-21 07:10 AM

I watched Ep1. Meathead is right about how that last scene went. I don't think I will be watching any more, I have enough to watch already and this simply isn't compelling.

whotony 10-25-21 10:21 PM

So two shows recently that
Spoiler:
knocked Off the big name in the first ep.

whotony 10-25-21 10:56 PM

Invasion is boring over stylized melodrama that mixes in an occasional alien explosion.

2 eps was enough I think.

jpcamb 10-26-21 08:36 AM

that's a shame. The premise sounded interesting and if this was good I was likely signing up again when the show finished airing to catch up on this and a few other shows. I feel Apple has been pretty strong in the original content department and the only one that I completely bailed on was the second season of Servant. I will defiantly sign back up when For All Mankind comes back but so far nothing else has pulled at me to spend the $. I have Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and a few other smaller streamers so not having a ton of content on Apple TV it was easy to cut.

General Zod 10-26-21 01:46 PM

Watched the first 2 episodes of this. Boring as hell. I'm out.

Officer Cartman 10-26-21 02:30 PM

I watched the first 3 episodes back-to-back, hoping that it would get better, but it hasn't. :(

Jason 10-26-21 04:15 PM

It doesn't feel like something that's really going to move forward. I doubt this lasts long enough to get a satisfying conclusion.

Officer Cartman 10-26-21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 14003320)
It doesn't feel like something that's really going to move forward. I doubt this lasts long enough to get a satisfying conclusion.

At least we know all 10 episodes will air, unlike network TV which can yank a show if it's doing badly mid-season. Here's hoping that they don't leave us hanging though at the end of the season.

That said, this release schedule is incredibly annoying, dragging out the show till mid December. Maybe I'm spoiled by Netflix and the ability to binge a season in a single sitting, but these scheduled weekly drops just sucks.

For those of you curious, here's the rest of the schedule:
  • Invasion Episode 4: October 29, 2021
  • Invasion Episode 5: November 5, 2021
  • Invasion Episode 6: November 12, 2021
  • Invasion Episode 7: November 19, 2021
  • Invasion Episode 8: November 26, 2021
  • Invasion Episode 9: December 3, 2021
  • Invasion Episode 10: December 10, 2021

dstrauss 10-27-21 04:51 PM

I really wanted to like this, but holy crap is it boring and slow. These characters don't have the slightest bit of personality or hint of anything interesting. Honestly, the only character I give a shit about is the British kid's crush, who I'm calling MJ.

Eddie W 10-27-21 05:06 PM

This is the most dull, uninteresting thing I have ever seen. I can't imagine slogging through another 7 hours of this.

story 10-27-21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W (Post 14003804)
This is the most dull, uninteresting thing I have ever seen. I can't imagine slogging through another 7 hours of this.

Those were our wedding vows.

Bandoman 10-28-21 06:48 AM

rotfl

ben12 10-28-21 11:54 PM

I like it so far. There are a million other places to see some Independence Day alien invasion rip-off. This take seems to be an invasion happening where our POV characters are so far removed from the key moments, that everything seems random and weird. I'm into it. It's a cool take. Curious where they go with it.

funkyryno 10-29-21 12:43 AM

All the characters in this show are extremely uninteresting. Boring.