DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dr. Death (Peacock) -- anthology series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653015-dr-death-peacock-anthology-series.html)

DJariya 05-17-21 01:36 PM

Dr. Death (Peacock) -- anthology series

Based on Wondery’s hit podcast, DR. DEATH is inspired by the terrifying true story of Dr. Christopher Duntsch (Joshua Jackson), a rising star in the Dallas medical community. Young, charismatic and ostensibly brilliant, Dr. Duntsch was building a flourishing neurosurgery practice when everything suddenly changed. Patients entered his operating room for complex but routine spinal surgeries and left permanently maimed or dead. As victims piled up, two fellow physicians, neurosurgeon Robert Henderson (Alec Baldwin) and vascular surgeon Randall Kirby (Christian Slater), as well as Dallas prosecutor Michelle Shughart (AnnaSophia Robb), set out to stop him. DR. DEATH explores the twisted mind of Dr. Duntsch and the failures of the system designed to protect the most defenseless among us.

No date yet, but it premieres this summer

DJariya 06-15-21 01:42 PM

re: Dr. Death (Peacock) -- anthology series

Date announced. Will premiere July 15th.

dex14 07-15-21 06:37 AM

All 8 episodes are up.

Runaway 07-15-21 03:58 PM

I've watched the first episode, it's just horrifyng. I don't want to go to a doctor ever again. I liked the performances. Seeing Joshua Jackson as an evil sociopath is something new. Great seeing Alec Baldwin in something good again. I really like him as an actor, but since 30 Rock ended it's run, he only had small supporting roles or was in bad movies and his awful talk show atempt.

Barth 07-16-21 07:08 PM

Can't wait to get started on this. I listened to the excellent podcast series of this and loved it. Strangely enough, Baylor Medical Center kept all this pretty quiet. I lived in Dallas and worked for Baylor (different campus) while all this was going on and never knew anything about it until much later.

OldBoy 07-16-21 08:02 PM

JJ wearing prosthetics, right?

Runaway 07-17-21 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13958697)
JJ wearing prosthetics, right?

Right! For some flashbacks he gets deaged and during the end he is wearing a fat suit and prosthetics.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-17-21 09:46 AM

Annasophie Robb is 27 and now she is doing more adult stuff and not those family movies anymore.

Time flies.

RichC2 07-17-21 03:13 PM

I'm glad they didn't try to make the guy sympathetic. Just a thoroughly despicable person.

Slater is great on this.

Michael T Hudson 07-17-21 04:18 PM

This story is so fucked up and scary.

DJariya 07-17-21 04:32 PM

I just finished the 1st episode. Whoah this Doctor is a sociopath. Jackson is great playing him. I'm vaguely familiar with the real Duntsch story. If you hate going to the doctor, this will make it even worse.

7 more to go. I'll try to finish it up this weekend.

RichC2 07-17-21 04:52 PM

Jackson really ups the smarm when it gets rolling. It's great seeing the three leads just firing on all cylinders on a project like this. I will say this seems like it could be shortened a little and the time jumping is a little overkill.

dex14 07-22-21 12:34 PM

Wow. I thought the first episode was fantastic. The script was great and all the actors were on top of their game. Loved Christian Slater.

Interesting that Jennifer Morrison directs 3 and 4.

Coral 07-22-21 03:15 PM

I thought this was decent and interesting enough.

They probably could've shaved 1 episode off the run time... maybe even 2.

I agree about the constantly shifting timelines - I found it a little annoying after a while.
And sometimes it was done just for the sake of doing it - and didn't really offer much - ie. basically revealing how Duntsch ripped his pants in the first place - which the "how" was pretty irrelevant.

I liked Slaters character.

kantonburg 07-22-21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13960871)
I thought this was decent and interesting enough.

They probably could've shaved 1 episode off the run time... maybe even 2.

I agree about the constantly shifting timelines - I found it a little annoying after a while.
And sometimes it was done just for the sake of doing it - and didn't really offer much - ie. basically revealing how Duntsch ripped his pants in the first place - which the "how" was pretty irrelevant.

I liked Slaters character.

I even mentioned to my wife that I wish they'd stop the flash backs and get on with the story.

This hit home with me. I had spinal surgery 5 years ago and my surgeon was fantastic. It's always a risk, but this guy was a complete hack. He was obviously brilliant, but not a good surgeon.

Deftones 07-23-21 01:44 PM

Wife and I watched episode 1 last night. Very good. The bouncing around is annoying. Christian Slater is fantastic as is Joshua Jackson. I don't see how this can be so many episodes, though. Seems unsustainable. But we will finish it.

jpcamb 07-26-21 11:41 AM

My wife and I watched the first 6 episodes this weekend and it was surprisingly good. I agree with folks that feel that they should not do so many damn time jumps. Also, it almost feels like a CSI show how Slater and Baldwin are interviewing so many people throughout the show but none the less it's entertaining.

They look to be premiering a new documentary at the end of the month on the real-life Dr. Death so that might make an interesting companion piece to the series.

Dan1boy 07-26-21 11:41 AM

My wife and I binged this in less than a week. That's extraordinarily rare in our household.

One of the best series we've seen all year. Stunning. Performances, writing - everything - is near perfect.

The story is so hard to believe and reconcile...the horror is knowing this really happened and just a few short years ago.

Deftones 07-28-21 10:44 PM

Christian Slater deserves all the awards for this show. He is the best part of this. So so so good. Jackson is great too, but Slater is master class.

jpcamb 07-29-21 08:25 AM

we finished it this week and it was great, Would love to see Baldwin and Slater team up again on a new project, they had good chemistry.

My only real issue is how stunted Dr. Death was during the trial, just sat there quiet and utterly defeated without an outburst of righteous indignation. It seemed out of character despite the attorney telling him he could not take the stand and then showing him why.

Noonan 08-09-21 07:50 AM

Slater and Baldwin need to get a weekly procedural where they go across the country and solve malpractice cases. Or a "case of the season" like this was (except not based on true stories).

Finished this up and still don't understand his motivation. Was he a psycho who got off on harming other people or was he trying to be the definition of "fake it till you make it"?

RichC2 08-09-21 08:05 AM

The way I saw it was that he was a sociopath and felt no guilt, and was also completely incompetent at the hands-on level but was too much of an egomaniac to stepback from it.

Coral 08-09-21 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13968201)
Finished this up and still don't understand his motivation. Was he a psycho who got off on harming other people or was he trying to be the definition of "fake it till you make it"?

I don't know anything about the real case, but based on the show itself - it was overall incompetence fueled by egotism and sociopathic narcissism.

If anyone knows about the real case, did they explain his failure to tell left from right? It was brought up at least twice in the show - once in college football and the other in the operating room.

Noonan 08-09-21 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13968202)
The way I saw it was that he was a sociopath and felt no guilt, and was also completely incompetent at the hands-on level but was too much of an egomaniac to stepback from it.

That's how it seemed based on the show but they also talked about how intelligent he was when it came to med school and book learning. And nothing they showed pointed to him having some fetish for mauling/hurting other people. If that's true, why didn't he stick to research when he realized he can't operate for shit? Just because "When you were a kid we kept telling you to stop moving the furniture but you never did" throw away line by his dad?

RichC2 08-09-21 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13968209)
That's how it seemed based on the show but they also talked about how intelligent he was when it came to med school and book learning. And nothing they showed pointed to him having some fetish for mauling/hurting other people.

IMO, The football sequence was there to show how he couldn't apply the knowledge that he knew, and hell couldn't tell left from right. It also went to show his insistence when he knows he's correct and presumably something else is wrong.

He could have all the book knowledge in the world, but knowing and doing are extremely different things.