TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dr. Death (Peacock) -- anthology series

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-21, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
re: Dr. Death (Peacock) -- anthology series

Originally Posted by RichC2
IMO, The football sequence was there to show how he couldn't apply the knowledge, and hell couldn't tell left from right. He can have all the book knowledge in the world, but knowing and doing are extremely different things.
Agreed but why keep going after hurting people unless it somehow got you off?
Old 08-09-21, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Agreed but why keep going after hurting people unless it somehow got you off?
Because, from his perspective, none of it was his fault - he was great at what he did and it was his way to make a living and eventually get into a powerful position at a local hospital. Or, if he did acknowledge his own mistakes, he would just "get it right next time.", the patients were immaterial.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-09-21 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-10-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I think he saw himself as infallible. He is a narcist and could do no wrong. The college football flashback made that clear. He didn't even trust the scale when is weight was off. He couldn't be wrong, the scale had to be. Guided by his mentor Kelsey Grammer he made a good job. The scene where Grammer guides his hand was a key moment too.
He probably would have succeeded as an researcher or diagnostician, but due to his narcism he had to succeed in the field of neuro surgeon, which in his mind he did. I don't think, in the show, he willingly hurt people.
Old 08-22-21, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Holy shit, I’m watching this now and this doctor is such a sociopath. What’s incredibly frightening is how easy going and affable he appears to be but there is clearly something wrong with him.

And what’s even more scary is how many medical professionals were covering for him.
Old 01-20-22, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Stuck in isolation and binged this whole thing yesterday and the companion docu-series today.

Fuuuuuck! This whole thing was seriously fucked up. My wife has 2-14" rods in her back from surgery in, coincidentally 2012. My daughter got rods at 16, in 2020. Both from scoliosis. So this was an immensely more relatable and scary to me. Our surgeon is considered one of the best on this half the country for scoliosis spinal surgeries and he travels the world teaching his methods and has even developed/trademarked tools as well. He came highly recommended and had an impeccable resume so it makes you wonder if we lived in Dallas at the time (we actually have family there) how close I would have been to this nightmare.

Feel the same as everyone else, the constant time jumping was obnoxious and just added confusion where there needed none. And holy shit! Christian Slater... where has he been? He's phenomenal in this. Likewise, Joshua Jackson is equally amazing. Off the charts charming as the egotistical doc, smarmy & sociopathic. Baldwin and Grammer? Also firing on all cylinders. This show and the cast deserve some awards.

One thing I don't think they did a very good job at was laying out actual numbers, unless I missed something. Of course they go over 33 at the trial, but they never said out of how many total patients. The docu-series did though. 38 total patients and he fucked up 33. I'd be curious to hear from those 5 lucky souls that escaped hell. After seeing this series I'm guessing it feels like they won the fucking lottery. I thought his buddy would be the lynchpin at the trial and finally turn on him but I guess that's only in movies. Seemed like the real life Jerry was more on board with helping take Christopher down in the docu-series than his tv counterpart. Also, they never covered how Duntsch was able to scrub the internet of any negative feedback.

Lastly, Duntsch reminded me of Free Solo and Alex Honnold. In that documentary a doctor explains that Alex has a smaller(?) amygdala and didn't experience fear like normal people which gave him that edge in rock climbing. I'd love some doctors to get ahold of Duntsch's brain scans and see if there's something similar going on in regards to him having a lack of empathy & remorse. It would almost explain his brazen disregard of his surgery outcomes and explaining it away as everyone else's fault. At least that would make more logical sense to me than simply an over driven egotistical guy just maiming people with little to no regard.
Old 07-14-22, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Renewed with a new storyline and showrunner

So this is an anthology series now, so the thread title probably needs a change.
Old 07-14-22, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

They're skipping season 2 of the podcast and going straight to #3
Old 07-14-22, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Interesting. Hopefully they get some of the talent level as this past season. The performances were all excellent.
Old 07-14-22, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Interesting. Hopefully they get some of the talent level as this past season.
And maybe a better make-up artist?
Old 07-14-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I suggest and hope they adapt the book
<b>Blind Eye</b> Blind Eye
for Season 2. It's an amazing (albeit similar) Dr. Death story.

Old 07-15-22, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

I know its unlikely but I would love to see another season of Baldwin and Slater, amazing how well they paired up.
Old 11-28-23, 04:41 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Dr. Death (Peacock) -- anthology series

Season 2 of Dr. Death is streaming Dec. 21 on Peacock, plus catch up on Season 1 streaming now: https://pck.tv/3jCAx00

Synopsis: This season of Dr. Death, based on the Wondery podcast, follows “Miracle Man” Paolo Macchiarini, a charming surgeon renowned for his innovative operations. When investigative journalist Benita Alexander approaches him for a story, the line between personal and professional begins to blur, changing her life forever. As she learns how far Paolo will go to protect his secrets, a group of doctors halfway across the world make shocking discoveries of their own that call everything about Paolo into question.
Old 11-28-23, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: Dr. Death (Peacock) -- anthology series

Luke Kirby and Mandy Moore in season two. I'm going to have to watch this. I haven't seen season one yet either.